All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

My mother went totally silver at 24 & completely white at 30. I didn’t let my hair go silver until I was 55 (& I fought it for 25 years). I did cut my shoulder length hair short when I first lowlighted my hair. I’ve decided that short looks better on me & it’s definitely easier (& cheaper) to not color anymore. When I decided to bite the bullet I wanted it over as soon as possible. Les didn’t get any grey until 2 years ago. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you all so much for the feedback on my trip report! I write what I like to read...so I don't expect everyone to love it but it truly is lovely to hear the positive feedback and know that you are enjoying my writing.

I've been trying to figure out how I can turn writing into something more. I don't think I have a gift for fiction. I think I do prefer to write about reality, I guess you say? Though I have thought about the idea of what they call a historical narrative, where you take a true historical event and attempt to write in tale form to bring the events and the people to life.

I like research too, so I think that would be interesting...I'm just not sure...

Margaret...I admit I'm having a hard time picturing you without the red...BUT...one of my very good friends in GA finally let her hair go to the silver color and stopped trying to override it with coloring and she looks great. She has blue eyes and her natural coloring makes her eyes pop so much more than the dyed colors. Now she was going for a darker brown color, which she was prior to losing her color...and I'm not sure that she got the brown right...I think it was too golden...but whatever...my POINT is that she looks really good with her natural color.

I've been growing my hair out. It's really getting long. You can't tell too much in the photos of the trip because I didn't want to bother with it...and I did pony tails, hats, and my best attempt at my unpracticed messy bun.

Speaking of...

We had a great time in Skagway. Hiking was a fun activity. What I like about things like hiking is that you can talk on the trail. You can talk during other sight seeing excursions, but really...if you're out and about trying to see stuff...seems hard to have real conversation while being all distracted with the view. So I liked our family hike a lot.

Mom just had to deal with the fact that I was going to take her picture. Smile Mom! And she might give me a look that says...UGH...she's taking my picture AGAIN.

RIMG1162.jpg

We got warm on the trail. Mom's wearing a thinner knit top and her green fleece vest. She bought that vest for her previous trip to Alaska...11 years ago.

The lake was a good spot for taking photos. DS was having some issue with the wind and his hair...but here are my guys and me at the beachy spot at Lower Dewey Lake:

RIMG1197.jpg

DS had taken off his sweater and was wearing just his concert tee but the wind was chilly...so he sweatered up again here. I'm wearing my messy bun beanie! My awesome Athleta hiking leggings...a cami and my fleece hoodie. This fleece is really thin...it's a decent warmth layer with more underneath it...with just the cami...it was very breathable so I was fine having it on the whole time. DH is wearing shorts and a SmartWool shirt.

Mom and Dad!

RIMG1194.jpg

Back on the ship...during our time at the Sunset Bar. If you haven't sailed Celebrity...each ship has a bar aft that overlooks the wake. On M-class, this is just outside the buffet so if there are available tables, you can dine al fresco. Otherwise...it's a great bar for watching the wake and the scenery on both sides of the ship.

I really like this color on me...my fleece and my one SmartWool shirt pictured yesterday are basically the same color. I think this is my best "blue". Love the look on Mom's face.

RIMG1352.jpg

Tonight is Elegant Chic night. Celebrity doesn't have Formal Nights. They have toned down the dress code. This is my Army colored bamboo knit dress. Mom is wearing a traveler's fabric shirt from Chico's. This has been pictured here before...the most memorable time in a photo from Italy.

P1110673.jpg

I'm really happy to have this trip report in the works. It's making me go through all the photos that I took. Do you remember that old commercial talking about what was wrong with digital cameras? Everyone was shouting NO PHOTOS! LOL. I made one of those photo books of our last family cruise with all 5 of us...and that's my goal again. I'm going to make another photo book of Alaska.

I'm working on my goals for the next year. DS starts school in less than two weeks. His senior year people!! OMG. We just renewed our lease here, but we added some time to it so that it ends on August 31.

So I have a little over one year to prepare to move again. No idea where we are moving to...but I doubt we will stay in this apartment...and probably not this particular building. Probably will move closer to a major airport at the least. Possibly to another state. Not sure. All I know is that I have some serious goals regarding this next move and our stuff and being prepared for it.

I have to balance it all out with this last year with DS full time at home...

Margaret...when does your year start?

Melody...I'm in awe of the mileage you've driven this month.

Anita - I love your pictures:D You all radiate with happiness:cool: Your messy bun is really cute too. We plan to take my husband's parents to AK for their 50th anniversary in 2022 and hope we have as good a time as it looks like you are.

Your mom has great color choices - I'm usually not that bold but love the look on her.

Good luck with the writing.

My daughter is a senior this year too - where did the time go:eek: I'm proud of the independent young lady she's become though.

My mother went totally silver at 24 & completely white at 30. I didn’t let my hair go silver until I was 55 (& I fought it for 25 years). I did cut my shoulder length hair short when I first lowlighted my hair. I’ve decided that short looks better on me & it’s definitely easier (& cheaper) to not color anymore. When I decided to bite the bullet I wanted it over as soon as possible. Les didn’t get any grey until 2 years ago. Melody

I don't know if I ever saw any silver/white in my mom (she passed at 55), but her mom had lovely salt & pepper then white. We joke that Dad took all the gray for Mom, and he is almost completely white now, but was probably late 40's/early 50's when he started. His mom had beautiful white hair in her late 60's/70's. At 45 I haven't started turning yet (and will be getting my first set of highlights in a few weeks), but I suspect I will be more like my Great Grandmother who had yellow-ish white hair the few times I saw it (she always wore wigs).

Anita, a senior this year, I remember when you were moving to GA & he was starting high school & the band experience.

If you think kids grow up fast wait till grandkids! Ours are. Andrew, Senior in college double major of physics & math with a minor in dance (must have some fun); Katie, sophomore in college, physical education major, minor in physics, on college Rugby team; Nate in AF (he’ll have an associates degree when he finishes his airborne mission systems training, then will continue on); Skylar entering 7th grade & Lexy entering 5th grade.

We leave in 3 weeks for our 50th high school reunion, guess it’s time to pull out clothes! We’ve booked a week on the beach in York Maine so will have to pop in a (neon green so I can be seen in the fog) hoodie & tights for early morning walks. Reunion is black jumpsuit & sparkly jacket (just not sure which yet), family wedding next day at Nonantum Resort in Kennebunkport Maine is the peacock blue dress with angled lace poncho. Other than those I haven’t decided. Looking forward to flying instead of driving for this trip! Melody

Steve Miller said it...Time keeps on tickin tickin tickin...

pacruise...you have a lot of time to plan your AK trip...plenty of time to figure out what YOUR Alaska trip should be. The more I think about what Margaret said...the happier I am. I made the effort to be as true to us as possible with this trip...planning and doing what was most appealing to us and our thoughts about traveling to AK. I think when you do that...you can't help but enjoy yourself on your vacation.

It might be difficult with a bigger group to plan what to do. Especially if you are trying to satisfy too many people with the plans. You take everyone into consideration but you have a driving force of something. You can't do everything so you have to figure out how you are going to pick and choose what you do.

DH just told me that the first college app deadline is Oct 2.;p:eek:

I'd like to go to Maine. Maine seems like an off beat place to go. What a fun trip you have planned Melody. Does your jacket still fit? I thought you were talking about having to have it tailored.

Here I am at Hubbard Glacier...all bundled up:

RIMG1715.jpg

Margaret, my bucket list just grew exponentially!

Anita, I had the jacket altered, but could’ve taken it in more (but I still wanted to zip it up). My tailor took it in 4 sizes.

Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sad news, just heard. Les’s younger brother probably won’t last the night. He has COPD & has just been put on a morphine drip to keep him comfortable. I guess we’ll be taking another unscheduled trip to Boston. [emoji22]

Oh...definitely sad news. SO sorry. Big hugs to you and Les.

Thanks, it’s been a tough year for him. This will be 2 brothers & 1 sister this year. Hitting Les hard. Kevin is 18 months younger than he is.

Praying comfort for all, Melody:( Safe travels<|3

Anita - Our daughter has 3 visits scheduled and early applications submitted, they all had fee waivers so that helped. We had a letter yesterday from one of the schools reminding us about FAFSA applications starting Oct. 1

There is a site that offers micro-scholarships called Raise.me - if your son isn't registered you may want to check it out. The student enters accomplishments from 9th grade forward and earn varying levels of scholarship to the schools they are following (if participating). Two of the schools we are looking at participate and show a nice chunk toward tuition if accepted. There are deadlines, so you will need to look soon.

We've done a few vacations with the in-laws before and travel well together. We aren't afraid to be bluntly honest with each other if we need time apart or just aren't interested in an activity, but for the most part are all good with going with the flow. MIL is happy to have me act as travel agent and do the research and I am surprised to find I like being in control of most of the planning (or at least having someone be the lead). It will just be the 4 of us (in 2 cabins;)) so not too many variables.

Sent our youngest on his first mission trip last night/early this morning. Looks like the first leg from Newark went fine and they are on schedule for their connecting flight. It's also his first flight and first international travel. Slightly nervous momma, but he's with a good group that's made many trips to the area.

Have a good weekend all:)

Les’s brother passed peacefully at 1230et today [emoji22]. Tough to lose a brother or sister, this was a younger brother for Les. Our kids (god bless them) have rallied around & are keeping him together. Family is everything.

Our two oldest grandson have used scholarships from Raise.me. Great program. They also both have full ride academic scholarship s.

We’ve decided not to try to fly back for the funeral, we saw him in May (@ Les’s sister’s funeral) & had a good visit. Les wants to remember him as he last saw him (that & he’s sicker than a dog from our Texas trip last week). This July/August has been memorable. Melody

Anita, I am very much enjoying your Alaska review. As Margaret says, it reflects you. I know when I am planning our cruises, I try to stay true to who we are. I think you see that when you hear me talk about my dinner attire and the like. It is something I really enjoy doing.

I try to do things that are different too, in that it's fun to try a new food or new activity. But overall, my focus in on enjoying ourselves.

Speaking of different, today my older daughter and I went to lunch. It is always fun to talk and catch up. What was different is that she wanted to go to a nearby sushi place. I've had sushi once or twice, and I really just don't love raw fish. She doesn't either, but she loves sushi with cooked seafood or even those with just vegetables. Honestly, that doesn't thrill me either.

But you know what? We had a really fun lunch, and I did enjoy the food. We ordered 4 different rolls, and sampled them all. We had a California roll, one with cucumber and avocado, one with sweet potatoes and then the last was tempura. She taught me to take just a little tiny bit of wasabi at a time and mix in with the soy sauce for dipping.until get the desired level of wasabi. To me, that is what makes the sushi - that soy/wasabi combination.

So, I gotta watch myself because I normally eat nothing at all that is soy based because of my thyroid. Also, soy sauce has a large amount of sodium, which I also avoid because it is part of how I keep my blood pressure low without medicine.

But this was such a neat little place with awesome company, so I'm sure I will be back there.

Aw Melody, this is a rough patch for Les. Wonderful that you have family close by to help get through sad times.

Laurie...So...you know that DS loves sushi. We've had so much fun with sushi. I don't know what is traditional necessarily but sushi has developed into fun bites. All the sauces and everything...and when they bring in tempura veg...really tasty. Our sushi place does a very rich roll with smoked salmon, cream cheese and green onion? Then they tempura fry the whole roll. Very filling.

I agree with the soy and wasabi...makes the bite.

Also...I saw for the first time in Sushi on 5, a specialty restaurant on Celebrity...there are pink nori sheets. For those that don't enjoy the seaweed wrapper...there are pink wrappers now. I think they are rice paper? Can't remember.

It's good to get tea with sushi too! I love Asian place settings...all the fun plates and dishes.

So my husband and I were just discussing vacations. At thohs stage,behave a cruise for next August. We are going back to Boston for 3 nights in June. We have not finalized March/Fenway South yet. What is hard for me is that they are not spread out. I'm sure we will figure it out though.

Margaret, I sent you an email!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Anita , I am loving your review . It is like a favorite book and I can not wait for the next chapter .

We are still deciding what we will do next year . Our top contenders are a cruise from Quebec ,another transatlantic or possibly a 14 day Alaska cruise .

The vote is in, Herman is the cocapoos name & Dexter is the black lab 0588230fbc23b26a337390a5a6a2b8ae.jpg3717c201f011fdbba25431aa6265433e.jpg. My buddies. Herman has just recently had a haircut & everyone is upset. Son asked for a ragamuffin puppy cut & the groomer gave him a poodle clip, son asked where his dog was 65467cc9ab184f0837739280bbe022bd.jpg. At least his hair grows. Melody