All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie...glad the photos of the bathrooms could help! That blue in the bathroom...is technically gray LOL. In fact, when I took the paint stir stick to almost any other room in the house...the paint on the stir stick was gray...except in our bedroom and bathroom. Weird. But that goes to show you how the lighting in a room can seriously affect color.

I think adding the oak top to the built-in would be very nice.

And also adding a chair to the family room. From the Designology book, that room could really use a chair to help people that are drained more from being in company find a more comfortable place to sit. Sofas and sectionals are favored by people who are energized by the presence of others...such people aren't as concerned with having a more defined personal space. The chair helps those that benefit from establishing a bit of personal territory, personal space find more comfort in a group. It would be interesting to see (when you can have people over again LOL) who would go sit in that chair vs who heads over for the sectional.

How fun to have your coffee table situation sorted! I like that bench a lot. I had a normal round coffee table. Then I got a pleather covered ottoman on wheels, also round, when we purchased new furniture for the house up the street in GA, and that coffee table ended up in the basement with the old seating. In NC, the coffee table was in the cave (DS' den) and here in FL I've been dealing with both the coffee table and the ottoman in the same living space. It's a PITA. I like the functionality of the ottoman because I do like my feet up...but there are times when I like the table (puzzles/games/etc)...it's something I haven't reconciled yet. So much to figure out still here in the new home.

Sad news...we finally got the refurbished ceiling fan reinstalled...turned it on...and sparks flew out of the motor housing. 😞 All that work...on a 30+ year old ceiling fan...I don't think it could take all the moving around or something, IDK. It wasn't the wiring itself...the sparks definitely came from the fan itself. I googled it and it says, "time for a new ceiling fan!"

But I did take photos...before we took it down again:

AD26-DCF6-8-BD7-462-F-BB7-C-7015-F553-D5

C9-DFC60-A-F943-41-E0-9-BAC-2-B546-E95-D

I cried. Just such a disappointment! All that work...ah well. I'm over it. We went and bought the same fans that we bought for the screened porch. They are good fans. Very inexpensive. Quiet. Attractive.

Yesterday we got the office sorted. With DS off to school again, we took the desk out of the back room (he normally uses it) and brought it into the office to make our desk island, as I think of it, with the two matching desks face to face and centered on the window...so each desk has a side look out the window. We went to Staples and got a bunch of binders for me to do some household organization. I prefer binders to files. Bonus...I have bookcases, but not file cabinets (go figure...don't really like files) and so today is get the paperwork organized. Finally. Now's the time to get these types of supplies...$1.47 for the binders instead of $4.99! 

That's my big project to begin today...dealing with paperwork...updating my system.

Today is the end of DS' quarantine. He checks out of the hotel today. I haven't heard from him yet...but I know his flatmate is going to meet him at his hotel and then they are going back to his home for one night before moving into their flat tomorrow!

I'll also find out if DH starts going back into work tomorrow or soon after. A new contract is about to start and with that, the team may be going into the office to have a more successful start up. The team is actually hoping that will be the case as collaboration is a huge part of the work on this contract and such work can be much more difficult when you aren't together. Group calls have kept work going but it just isn't the same as everyone being in the same room.

Oh! Melody...benches like that at the foot of the bed can be so helpful. I used to have one in GA, but it wasn't a storage bench, so it didn't make the cut when we downsized. Nice find!

Sally...bet you are loving your new faucet! That's something that is used so often...it can make you crazy if it doesn't work well. 

Oh and all the talk of reupholstering chairs...I have two chairs that I've been wanting to reupholster for a long time but haven't. The upholstery isn't in bad shape...I just want something different than what is there. Simple wood arm chairs with an upholstered seat and seat back. The seat back isn't all the way to the cushion...it's a light and airy looking chair. Doesn't take up much space...really handy and useful in all sorts of places. The corner of the office, bedroom, etc. I've even used them for extra dining table seats in a pinch but that's not great because they are accent chair height. But that's probably why I haven't tried to pick out new fabric...they get used everywhere...it helps that they are the rather boring neutral that they are currently. LOL.

• Like 1

Oh Anita, all of your hard work on the fan, what a bummer!  Yes, I’m very pleased with the bench, so much better than we’d hoped for. 

we got rid of all the coffee tables & ottomans when we transitioned to reclining furniture (have to have feet up when I sit (actually doctor’s orders). I do have occasional & end tables scattered about (several only big enough for a glass & book). 

our ac unit took a lightning strike on Saturday & the guy is here making very expensive noises (unit is under a year old & still under warranty).  Looks like thermostat was fried & electronics in furnace-ac unit. Guess I’m not going anywhere today. The transformer in the neighbor’s yard was fried ( our power was out a couple of hours). Glad it’s cool today!!!   Melody

I have little tables. I love my little tables! They move around to be wherever you need them to be. The littlest one is 12" in diameter. One is just over 15". I started collecting the little tables when we got the ottoman. We had a really great reclining couch. It was a large couch with a high back...really good for tall people. And each side would recline independently. It was SO COMFORTABLE. That's what was relegated to the basement though...because after several moves, I think the mechanism was a bit wonky and you really had to work your hamstrings to slam it shut again. It didn't make the downsize cut and DS was seriously, seriously sad about that...he loved napping on that couch.

OMG on the lightning and the ac! 

Fried motherboard (through the surge protector) $5500 part & $150 labor. We paid the labor (I don’t think we should’ve cause hello, under a year.) If this doesn’t work then we’ll have to replace both units (about $15K) & then that’s be an insurance claim. Been a long day

Edited by awhfy

Here's an odd reaction...you know I LOVE the color of that top Melody! LOL

I sure hope that the repair worked and you don't have to go through a homeowner's claim.

After a prodding text from me...I got word that DS is all moved into his flat! That is...everything has been moved from his flatmate's family home (including DS's stuff that ended up there after this same friend moved all DS's things out of his hall room) over to the flat. And DS is doing some shopping to get some vital items like extension cords...

But that's all I got.

Oh. And one photo that shows a bunch of stuff in the reception room. (That's what they call the living space over there).

I'm taking this as the classic, no news is good news and that DS is so wrapped up in living his great day that he can't be bothered to broadcast it...which is good actually. It makes me happy which is good, because I'm a bit sad to tell the truth.

DH had his meeting today and got approval to bring his team back to semi-full time work on site. So...no more virtual work over here. The only compromise is that the onsite work will only be M-Th. I get to overhear everything and I know that based on the nature of the contract, his multi-functional team was getting a designated work space to bring everyone together. They are only starting with 27 people on site and the work space is oversized for that number to accommodate the future growth that should happen in a few months. Meanwhile...the distancing will be greater than 6', masks will be required full time unless eating or drinking, even when at their own desks in their own cubicles. It's all very well thought out and no one wants to compromise safety. We joke and call DH Safety Man and so I know that he is doing everything within his ability to create a safe work environment. 

The anticipation is that this will all start up in two weeks or so...right when classes begin for DS.

So the new normal has arrived for my family.

I'm sad that I'll be alone again at home...BUT...at the same time...it feels good to have life feel like it's getting more and more settled and away from this feeling of suspension as we wait for how things might shake out in the year of COVID.

I've got a stash of single use masks that I purchased but I do want to make some masks for DH. The single use have no accommodation for DH's facial hair...it's like hat head but somehow it's on his face and he gets this ridge in his goatee when he wears the masks...I'm slightly concerned that wearing the masks for a work day will put some sort of permanent wave into he beard area. LOL.

• Like 1

Anita, our son has a goatee, he has taken a bandanna (looks like a bank robber), tight over nose & just dangly over the beard. He only has to wear it when he’s out of the house (he & his wife both work at home  Face shields might also be an option for Your husband  Look at BestofEverything.com. They have great masks & face shields

I love my top too!  DH says it matches my eyes 

no news is good news for a college student. You know you’ll hear if he needs something. We always insisted on a once a week status update, phone, email. No texts. They still all do it (& so do their kids)  Melody

Melody...nice idea...but there are mask guidelines. Shields may be worn if there is a mask worn under. Masks cover the nose and mouth, are secured (neck gaiters don't qualify) and tight fitting under the chin. I made the one mask that is secured but just hangs down in front and isn't secured under the chin.

Anita, what a shame that the fan and all your hard work is now gone. BTW while looking at the fan I couldn’t help but notice how great your ceiling looks-nice job!

i fully understand how you feel about your son. He’s now in his flat and finding  his independence. Yes as parents this is what we want for our kids but it doesn’t mean that we enjoy the process. I guess it doesn’t matter how old they are or how far away they are, they will always be our babies. I really have to work at not revealing that. Yep, I sometimes have to bite my tongue and many times I should have and didn’t. On the other hand, I have really enjoyed watching them live their lives and achieve their dreams. (Is that our reward?) From your other posts it seems like you have already figured this out too. 
Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Laurie,  you know I love those shoes... awesome orange pedi too.

Melody, as much as you like your brights, that softer look is also really pretty on you. :) Thanks for the heads up on the Chicos sale; I ordered a dress, sweater, blouse, and two tshirts. As much as I like my Lucky Brand t-shirts, they are just not hardy even with washing on delicate, and some will retire at the end of summer. So, I my plan going forward is to pay a bit more and be more selective with better brands that will linger longer in my wardrobe.

I also took at look at their new fall collection and I agree that some of those colors are very nice. Here are some of my favorites:

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/utility+shirtdress/570296186?color=425&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/ruched+mesh+midi+dress/570296930?color=556&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/long+pleated+cardigan/570294497?color=4826&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/animalprint+highlow+hem+dress/570294365?color=380&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/solid+sheen+tunic+shirt/570294873?color=4826&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/zenergy+soft+essentials+tiefront+top/570293159?color=4826&catId=cat40036

https://www.chicos.com/store/product/black+label+satin+tunic+dress/570299498?color=028&catId=cat40036

• Like 1

Margaret,  is like the olive green (probably cause my eyes are close to that shade. I agree, Chicos has some fabulous colors for fall. I’m getting that animal print dress with the high/low hem, just waiting for a good sale (it’ll come). I tried it on in store & I need the 2 for the girls; otherwise I’d wear a 1. Chicos sizing!  I love that Jasper green too, but now that I’m retired I’m straying more casual clothing. It used to be a hole in my wardrobe, casual things...no longer!  Now if that green Moto jacket was real leather...it’d be mine! 

Edited by awhfy

I also feel the same about the jacket .If it was real leather I would buy it in a minute . I love to look at fall clothes but except for an occasional piece that is all I do . Our fall is your winter only shorter .I do like that tie front top and I love the silk dress but dry clean only (no way ).I also liked the rain jacket but when I looked again I did not care for it . I am looking for a longer rain jacket .Talbot's is also having great sales . I buy from there occasionally .

• Like 1

Laurie, look at Chicos new Cherry Red color! 

Sally, I just realized that Moto jacket is machine washable, it might be back in the mix. It looks fabulous with that animal print high low dress. Melody

I love that color on that dress...but I'm not shopping for clothing right now. All my focus is on things for the house. I'm trying to strike the balance between making the things I already own work...specifically furniture, and what, if anything is something I will buy new and specific for our new home.

I'm debating a huge splurge right now. 

I know I talked about getting a huge coffee table that could be used for puzzles and games and all sorts of things. But I'm changing that to a "normal" dining table idea. I've had my Grandmother's formal dining room table now for about 20 years. I have used and slightly abused that lovely double pedestal mahogany table...for instance, I didn't like traditional high chairs and I found this travel version that hung off and clamped to a table and that was DS' "high chair"...and yes...it hung off my Grandmother's table. LOL. It was our everyday table when we first got it. It fit fine in our one and only dining room in our first house.

I love the double pedestals...made the table very sturdy and also, with the leaves especially, I could PACK people around that table...and I appreciate that concept. DH has 3 sisters...and when we have hosted the family at various times, with the sisters being in various stages of single, engaged, married...with and without kids...I was able to get everyone around that table.

I changed up the seating during the last time that I hosted DH's family for a holiday meal. We owned a huge 52" round bar height table in our next to the kitchen dining space. It easily sat 6. And so I divided up the seating between that table and the formal dining room table...mixing up who sat where with each course. The constant was DH's parents in the dining room. The kitchen was the buffet...dinner was in 3 courses. Soups and salads for round one. Then round two was the main meal...and the seating groups changed. Then round 3 was dessert and that was all over the house...eat it when you want it...sit wherever you want, including holding your plate while on the couch if you please.

I got to sit at both tables over the course of the night and I can say without any doubt at all that the round table in the more casual area was way more fun than the rectangular table in the formal dining room. No surprise there really...but it's good to confirm.

We sold that bar height table because it was way too big for our loft in NC. Also, we were tired of the bar height and the way our legs worked in the chairs AND the bar stools with the swivel action were getting worn out...the swivel action wasn't working well. I didn't want to replace the bar stools and so, we sold the whole thing.

But NOW...I'm looking at 52" minimum dining tables for the gathering room. I'm really picky about what I want though. I think I've found a table that fits the bill on Etsy. What I want isn't easily found in any furniture store that I can see...but there's a shop in MO that makes a gorgeous table that I'm considering. Quite the splurge though. 

Has every one seen The Holiday? The movie with Diaz and Winslet and they switch houses over the Christmas holiday? So Diaz's house in LA...the kitchen area with the table off to the side which is the scene for the Hanukkah party...I LOVE that seating. This is my inspiration idea for my gathering room:

contemporary-kitchen-in-The-Holiday-movi

House-from-The-Holiday-Amandas-Kitchen.j

My kitchen isn't this open at this time...not sure if it ever will be...it all depends on whether or not the new walk in pantry and the subsequent new cabinet next to it can accommodate all the glassware in the cabinets on the wall that I would take down to open up the kitchen...LOL.

BUT...this is a gathering space that doesn't have as much living space as my gathering space has. But this space has the feel that I like so much...

Anyway...

Sharon...thank you! We are really pleased with how the ceiling came out. And you can see the new wall color as well. I finally installed the vinyl roll up blinds and did pick out a fabric for those to cover them, but haven't made time to do that yet. There's still a few baskets of items to go through and sort before the room could be called done for now. LOL. The painting of the louvered closet doors has been pushed far down the priority list.

• Like 1

Expecting nasty storm tonight into Wednesday with a 60 degree temp drop, anticipate  6-18” of snow (yes, snow). Won’t last as it’s 90 degrees today. Crazy!!  We just brought in or covered all the plants 

Well, I've been busy!  I feel more "normal" than  I have in quite some time.  I think part of it is that I am more into a pattern right now.  Life has been getting away from me for at least a few years.  We've had to sort out restoring a car, a wedding shower, wedding, baby shower, this deal with my daughter's car, and just everything with the stress at work.

While the stress at work is still there, having a situation where I have not been able to do everything and anything has meant some changes.  First, I'm enjoying the little things, such as watching a ballgame or movie, or taking a ride.  Sometimes, I'm just in the backyard on the swing that fits onto that little tiny concrete stoop.

It has me thinking a lot, and as of late, it has given me some incentive, along with watching you work on your home, Anita.

I painted more doors today.  I'm getting there!  I got down to the bottom of the can of paint, and used the remainder to start painting some of the trim in the hall.  We are going out in a little bit to get another gallon, while it is $5 off.  

Anita, I picked up a bunch of gray paint samples, and you are so right about the colors.  I taped the samples to the wall in different rooms, and they are distinctively blue in some cases.  My husband really wants a gray blue, but I am leaning more towards a regular gray.  I'm willing to compromise though.  

What is really throwing me off right now is this...I am not the type to paint different rooms the same color.  Downstairs, I am very focused on making sure rooms flow, because I feel that matters in your main living area.  I think that bedrooms are whatever you want, as those aren't public areas. My husband is talking about painting our room a gray blue shade too.  

The spare bedroom is a gray blue color, and the downstairs half bath is blue.  Then the den is going to have navy at the top third of the room. I think this is too much blue, lol.

I would like our room to perhaps be a shade of green...muted.  But I think green is like gray, and it may be totally different on the walls than the little color cards.  I am thinking this color may be ideal:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Ideas/green/top/Behr?colorNumber=S340-4&NCNI-5

But one room at a time, and I think I have a bathroom gray picked.  Macy's was having a sale, so I ordered new towels in a dark gray called smoke.  You're going to laugh, but we have white towels now and some of them are getting holes in them.  I refused to buy new ones until we picked a paint color.  Now that we have it narrowed down to two or three shades, I felt safe ordering the towels.  We can't use them though until I paint the bathroom, lol.  Here is the color I think I am going to get.  I kind of did the opposite of what you did, Anita - lighter on the walls, darker on the towels.  This is called silver bullet.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Ideas/gray/00/Behr?colorNumber=N520-2&NCNI-5&brand=Behr

That means I am very likely to paint within the next week, because those towels are on their last leg.  🙂  It's weird - they aren't that old even.  I was very disappointed in them. 

I really like that texture on your ceiling, Anita.  Very cool looking.  

Melody, having those balloons so close by must have been so much fun to watch!  We have been having some fall like weather this past week, which I love.   I can't believe you are going to possibly get snow flurries though.  We are at 80 right now, but not an exceptionally warm 80.  It wil bet warmer in the next few days, then drop down to low 70s.

• Like 1

So I am thinking....

I ordered two upholstered dining room chairs for our dining room.  We have a mission set with 4 chairs, and we needed two more chairs for the holidays.  At the time we got the set, it was open stock and they told us we could come back and get more chairs at any time.  They lied, lol.  We went about 3 months later, and they no longer carried it.  Anyway, I plan to recover the seats.  I didn't like the idea of trying to find some sort of  mission chairs that wouldn't match, so I opted to put upholstered chairs at the head of the table.  I'm excited about that.  They should work well with the living room chairs that are being reupholstered,  It is one long room, so coordination is nice.

Here is where I am trying to figure things out.  The family room is off to one side, has carpeting, and is semi open to the kitchen, as you have seen from pictures.  I have three colors being repeated through those two rooms.  They are distinctive rooms, but harmonize, a key thing for me.  The colors are an earthy orangey red, avocado green and gold.  

The living room/dining room is off the kitchen.  I want it to feel lighter in there.  I don't plan to change the wall color.  We like the gold, and are happy with it for now.  The chairs will very light and neutral, a bit of a change for us.  While the new couch won't be purchased right away, my husband was talking about a gold like color. (we have the couch picked out, but haven't chosen the fabric.  If there is a good enough sale, we will make the plunge then)  I am feeling differently on the color, unless it is a light golden color.  Like a cashew color?  Also, those dining room chairs should have a fabric that works with everything.

I saw two fabrics that really jumped out at me.  They are day and night.  There are a ton of choices, so these are by no means finalized or anything like that.  

This requires some thinking.  I would be introducing blue, which isn't in the main living area right now.  Maybe I can find the fabric in a different color scheme?  But I really like it.  It feels classy but soothing.

Swavelle Westburn Cotton Duck Soapstone - Fabric.com

This...the colors are right.  It would be a bit differnt for dining room chairs, wouldn't it?  Is the one way direction an issue?  

Amazon.com: Tela de madera de Aspen de Swavelle/Mill Creek Trembling, de  The Yard: Arte, Manualidades y Costura

Anyway, I was wondering if you think I should stick to the colors being used in the other room.

Here is the swatch for the living room chairs.  It is the color on the right. There will be some of those decorative nails, in a bronze color.

37347.thumb.jpeg.c8f73edde13938016c810592bfa3a5b8.jpeg

I can't remember if I shared pictures of the living room/dining room area before.  I just didn't want to bombard you guys with all of this.  

Edited by laurspag

I sure have a lot to say today...sorry about that.  Margaret, I need to check out those links you shared, and Melody, I need to check out that red color at Chico's!

It's a strange feeling when kids go off to school or are on their own.   I sometimes still get an empty feeling, you know?  At the same time, I am so happy to see them pursue what they love, and live their lives.