All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, I kept thinking you were going to Alaska in March, for some reason.  So you have some time!!

Melody, I'm sorry you need more surgery.  I hope you recover quickly!

Slidergirl, I looked up the company you mentioned that had a dress you liked because I wasn't familiar with it.  You are right, they are costly.  Many of the dresses were lightweight and cotton based.  A-line style...is that what you are looking for?  I liked quite a few of them.  They are really nice.  I kept thinking Chadwicks had some similar linen dresses, but I don't think I have seen any lately.  

I am always looking for things.  I guess I am too fussy sometimes because I struggle a lot.  I just got in an order from Macys with 5 things and they are all going back, lol.  In my defense, I knew most of them were iffy to begin with.  One thing I try to do is make sure I'm being open minded and try things that I am unsure about.  I always find that things look so much different on sometimes.  I have gotten some of my favorite things by trying on something I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.

I did find a cute ribbed knit tank style dress at Kohls.  What I liked the most was the fabric.  Usually, something like that would  have thin, too stretch fabric that showed every line.  This one did not.  It's an oatmeal color, so great for summer but especially vacation, where I seem to want lighter color choices.  I used Kohls cash I had so I got it for less, in addition to be on sale cheaper than what you see here.  So I couldn't go wrong.

Women's Nine West Rib Sleeveless Racerback Swing Dress (kohls.com)

I am happy to say we are not expected to get any snow from this awful storm.  It seems to be moving along the coast, and we are inland. We are having very cold weather though. I understand that Florida is going to be pretty cold this weekend (for Florida) and NYC has gotten a foot of snow.  I hope you are safe, Margaret!

We are well below the norms for snow this year.  It is really weird.

• Like 1

The one I was looking as is called the Isha.  I did the measurements they posted and on me it wouldn't be that short.  But the pintucking and buttons down the front looked cute.  The indigo color was nice, too.  But, I've only spent that much or more on a dress twice - once for my wedding dress and once for a tank dress to wear to the Hollywood Bowl.  I saw that Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack have some Faherty, but the one Isha dress was the ugly orange stripe in XXL...  I'm 98% not a dress person, but I do like to have one onhand, just in case.  

A girl can dream.

6 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Melody...I do hope you have a successful surgery. All your surgeries and health issues...good grief Melody...it feels like if it isn't one thing it's another. I hope you can finally get a stretch of time without any of that.

I wasn’t planning on having this thumb done until I fell on our cruise in October & jammed the dickens out of it. I can’t hold anything in my left hand since then so it’s time. Melody

Isha!!!!  That is the exact dress that caught my eye when I went to the site.  

Sometimes, it is about how much you will get out of something, and how much you love it.  I am really good about not buying something I don't love, and if I order online, which I do a ton, I send it back.   I'm learning so much about myself these days.

But spending a lot of money can be hard.  I try to take advantage of sales, I use Rakuten, etc.  

• Like 2

Melody, I didn't know you fell.  That is awful.  

I ran into our wood framed ottoman on Martin Luther King Day.  It was snowing, and my dog was running around and I was trying to catch him to take off his sweater after he came in.  It hurt like crazy, and I kept trying to ignore it. The next day, it was purple and I couldn't walk on it.

I have been telling myself I didn't break it, and even if I did, they don't really do anything anyway.  It still hurts though.  You have me wondering if I should get it checked out!

34 minutes ago, laurspag said:

Melody, I didn't know you fell.  That is awful.  

I ran into our wood framed ottoman on Martin Luther King Day.  It was snowing, and my dog was running around and I was trying to catch him to take off his sweater after he came in.  It hurt like crazy, and I kept trying to ignore it. The next day, it was purple and I couldn't walk on it.

I have been telling myself I didn't break it, and even if I did, they don't really do anything anyway.  It still hurts though.  You have me wondering if I should get it checked out!

Get it checked, it might be a toe that needs to be stabilized 

Laurie.::I am going to Alaska in March! Celebrating my big birthday and chasing the Northern Lights among other things in and around Fairbanks.

I haven’t looked up anyone’s dresses but Kat, I wanted to share that I discovered a new brand today called Wool And. They have several simple dresses in different styles that you can dress up or down and most seem to be a nice knit material in a wool blend. A lightweight blend. I have a 150 weight Smartwool pull over hoodie. I love to wear it to the beach for some sun protection or anywhere for sun protection because it breathes so much better than a rash guard, which I wear in the water. You can feel any breeze through the material. The Wool And brand gives a similar weight so should be summer friendly. I’m debating one for myself.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, Anita Latte said:

Laurie.::I am going to Alaska in March! Celebrating my big birthday and chasing the Northern Lights among other things in and around Fairbanks.

I haven’t looked up anyone’s dresses but Kat, I wanted to share that I discovered a new brand today called Wool And. They have several simple dresses in different styles that you can dress up or down and most seem to be a nice knit material in a wool blend. A lightweight blend. I have a 150 weight Smartwool pull over hoodie. I love to wear it to the beach for some sun protection or anywhere for sun protection because it breathes so much better than a rash guard, which I wear in the water. You can feel any breeze through the material. The Wool And brand gives a similar weight so should be summer friendly. I’m debating one for myself.

I just started having some posts from them show up on my FB.  I might look it up.  My one fave for wool for any season is Woolx. Not a large selection, but the shirts and leggings I've gotten work great.  

• Like 1

Melody, good luck on your surgery!  That was fast!  I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Anita, I know you have discussed the benefits of wool.  I still have trouble wrapping my head around wearing wool, and having it be good for warm weather.  I usually get a bad rash from wool.  I think I want to try out a shirt or something and see how I do.  Does it shrink at all?

I have linen shirt that has a different kind of texture to it.  It does not require any ironing, and really doesn't wrinkle.  It was my go to shirt this year, and I brought it on my cruise.  It is this one here:

20211121_125234_resized.thumb.jpg.b6a0d737e65d56ff51fc71a447c55cf0.jpg

The reason I mention it is because it goes against everything I thought about linen.  So maybe a wood shirt will do the same.

When  left work today, it was 34.  I swear, it felt like a heatwave because we have had so much zero degree weather lately, including this weekend.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, it probably sounded weird when I said that linen shirt doesn't wrinkle.  The fabric has a really nice texture to it, so I guess it disguises the wrinkles?  That sounds better. 😊

Looks like we will get a little snow starting tomorrow night.  Melody, are you in the path of this storm?

• Like 1

Snowing to beat the band, about 12” so far, supposed to snow all day into tonight!!!  3F right now at 0530. Everything is closed as the city announced last night that they weren’t pretreating streets & weren’t going to plow until the snow stopped (huh???). I don’t have to go anywhere until Friday for my surgery. Making cream of chicken/wild rice soup & maybe chicken tortilla soup (easy for me to eat after surgery.). Also just put blueberry muffin tops into the oven. Told our SIL to swing by on his way home to get a bowl of each & some muffins (he owns a commercial landscape company (22 trucks) that plows most of the many medical complexes & hospitals (zero tolerance on snow/ice). City may not be plowing, but he’s been out with his crews clearing since 0300. Our teacher daughter is ecstatic as they closed school & said traditional snow day (no remote learning). Other daughter will work from home today & son works from home every day. 

this is our first real snow of the year (we’re almost 2’ behind normal). Melody

Melody - we lucked out here with the snow - only had a "drive-by" dusting of maybe 1/2 inch as it worked it's way to Colorado.  But, we got the cold temps - single digits and some negatives overnight and low 20s/high teens daytime.  Don't mind it because it's sunny out.

laurspag:  I have a linen shirt that has a similar crinkling pattern to it.  It really does hide the wrinkles.  I don't even have to iron it!  Good for traveling.   I'm also a wool person year-round.  It has to do with the weight of the wool used for the garmet.  I've got wool tshirts that I wear year-round and am always comfy in them.  The are 150g wool, so nice and light.  I'd give one a try and see what you think - you can always turn it into a Winter/evening shirt.  Several good companies - Smartwool, Woolx, etc. 

They told us to expect between 8 inches and 13 inches between now and morning.  It would have been way more, but the temps were a bit warmer today and yesterday, so it started as rain.

I may check out some of these wool shirts soon.  Any shrinkage or special care?  I tend to throw things in the washer and dryer, I'm not really one to dry many things flat.  With work clothes and things like that, I will put them in the dryer for just a few minutes, as it takes care of the wrinkles.  Then I hang them up to finish drying.

43 minutes ago, laurspag said:

They told us to expect between 8 inches and 13 inches between now and morning.  It would have been way more, but the temps were a bit warmer today and yesterday, so it started as rain.

I may check out some of these wool shirts soon.  Any shrinkage or special care?  I tend to throw things in the washer and dryer, I'm not really one to dry many things flat.  With work clothes and things like that, I will put them in the dryer for just a few minutes, as it takes care of the wrinkles.  Then I hang them up to finish drying.

I rarely put clothes in my dryer.   My Woolx shirts and leggings I just wash and hang dry.  I have a whole hang drying setup in my one bathroom.  I also do cold wash - only sheets & towels get warm (and they go in the dryer).  The tag from one shirt has machine wash cold, dry low.  I haven't noticed any shrinkage in any of my wool things.

One thing about being prepared for snow is how much better we handle it.

I know a lot of places that have the ability to work from home told their employees to just that - log in at from home.  People went to the store early enough.

They have done a great job with the roads.  I think I could drive anywhere I wanted today, without even blinking.  The roads are completely cleared.  That being said, I think we only have around 9 inches.  They said we could get about 3 more inches this morning, but the snow has been so light that I don't think we have gotten close to that.

Earlier though, since they did still have some snow on the roads and they were calling for more, my sister and I decided to bypass breakfast because she lives in an apartment and has outdoor parking.  We are going to reschedule.

So I am off to do whatever I feel like, since they also canceled my audiologist appointment for later.

I've been working on odds and ends today, so far, and will be reading a book later.  I slept later today, which is a shock.  I think my mind was so much more clear than it has been.

Now, I did go to the doctor's yesterday, because that toe I thought I broke a few weeks ago mysteriously started to throb so bad, I could barely walk.  That was strange, because I was on the elliptical and everything last week a few times.

Apparently, you aren't supposed to be putting all those miles on your sneakers with a broken toe.  Who knew?  She said to back off, rest the foot so that the swelling goes down, and then ease into it in a few weeks. The xray did clearly show the break.  She said it was lined up beautifully to heal up as long as I let it.

So another good reason to be off today!  Look out couch and puppies, here I come!   🙂

• Like 1

I’m home in recliner after the thumb surgery, nerve blocks are my new best friend. No need for pain meds till the block wears off.  Had the thumb joint removed, tendon reworked & something done to the cubital nerve by the elbow. Can’t even remove the sling (for anything) till Monday. Can’t show till Monday (I hate sponge baths). Melody

I'm glad everything went okay for your, Melody.  I'm sure it feels good to be home.  There is something very comforting about being in our home.  I think we feel safe and so much more relaxed.

For the first time in a very long time, I spent a day just reading and relaxing yesterday.  I love watching the Olympics, and I finished a really great book called "One by One" by Ruth Ware.  I love her books.

It was so good not to be thinking about work, the house, finances, etc.  I need to remember that it is okay to do this sometimes.

Melody - recliners are the BEST post-surgery!   I lived in mine when I had my shoulder surgery and when I shattered my leg.  So much more comfortable than bed and lots of pillows!

Sorry about the toes folks.  I never thought of going to see a MD for them.  I always taped it up to the next toe and wore sandals until it felt better.  I guess I'm lucky they were good after my "Dr. Kat" treatments!

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, awhfy said:

I’m home in recliner after the thumb surgery, nerve blocks are my new best friend. No need for pain meds till the block wears off.  Had the thumb joint removed, tendon reworked & something done to the cubital nerve by the elbow. Can’t even remove the sling (for anything) till Monday. Can’t show till Monday (I hate sponge baths). Melody

Be sure and stay ahead of the pain. I took my narcotics every six hours for about 2-3 days, then didn't need any after that. Those nerve blocks are pretty awesome, aren't they?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 6:31 PM, PurpleHays said:

Be sure and stay ahead of the pain. I took my narcotics every six hours for about 2-3 days, then didn't need any after that. Those nerve blocks are pretty awesome, aren't they?

I’m doing well, swelling is down, I’ve taken 2 pain meds (a few more anti-nausea). I get the large splint off on Tuesday & have my first pt session. I’ll be in a custom splint for 8 weeks. 

• Like 2

Melody, it is great to hear that you are doing well!

I was thinking just yesterday that I am about three and a half months away from my cruise with my daughter.  

This is costing a bit more than what I was originally thinking, but it will be worth it.  As of right now, we have reserved a beach bed for Coocay.  I've had one of these before on Labadee, and I really like it so I know she will too. 

Then for Nassau, I was looking for something we could do that we would both enjoy. I started reading off options and when she heard about swimming with sea lions, she got all excited.  So that is what we are doing!

I am thinking about what I want to wear on Dress Your Best night.  She has a beautiful dress she has wanted to wear for a while now.  It is black, so whatever I wear standing next to her should work for pictures.  I'm just a little stumped.  I had planned on wearing my new long forrest green dress in October, but she asked if I was wearing that one.  I really didn't want to wear it two cruises in a row.  Since the other two new dresses are similar in color, I will probably bring one of those.  

While she hasn't cruised in a while, she is very aware that people don't dress up the way they used to, and she doesn't care.  I feel the same.  Since we both like to dress up, we are going to.

When I cruise with my husband, we don't try to match although his tie he wears on formal night will match my dress.  I am thinking about my daughter and I though.  She really wants to bring a cheetah max dress that she has.  It's funny, because I bought it for myself, not realizing it had side cutouts.  It was also a bit small on me, but not bad.  She liked it, so I gave it to her.  It's the kind of dress that look to it....remember Kibbe?  Well her dress is dramatic.  I'm wondering if I should be trying to match, or if we both wear prints, will we clash?

The funny thing is, I never thought about this in the past.  I think I am more focused on matching the over feel.  I think I will organize my options, and as she finalizes what she is bringing I will choose what works best with her dresses.  Does that sound like it will work?

Daytime outfits will just be shorts and basic tops, but I know I will add jewelry for sailaway and the one sea day we have.  Both port days involve water related things, so swimsuits are the main thing.  

• Like 1

I had such fun talking cruise clothes with our daughter last October. She’s a high school PE teacher & a girly girl (loves dresses). I seldom wear dresses. This dress on daughter below is a one shoulder. All the hostesses & waitresses wanted to know where she got it & they were so excited when she told them Amazon & pulled up the order on her phone (they all took pictures of the Amazon info). Of course she danced with all of them too. One of the hostesses asked her if she was 30 yet, she laughed, said thanks, I’m 47 (made her night)

59C001DE-E911-45CF-BC8A-80B590615066.jpeg

• Like 1

I got a bit waylaid, but I have a few more photos from our November cruise to post and then I'll share some from the January one. These are from our day at St. Kitt's. We didn't do an excursion here, but I did go ashore and wander around the port. It was really quiet and I felt bad for all the stores. I bought a few souvenirs and a little sundress, and DH stayed on board. We ordered tea for the balcony again which was pretty much the same selections.

You can see here how few people came ashore.

smIMG_0572.JPG.ea839f05e3bc0493a956ab0f4a48fd9f.JPG

This looks like a fun place.

smIMG_0573.JPG.2e846a9400bc91b750e6ffe4541965f2.JPG

There are some serious retaining walls in port.

smIMG_0575.JPG.640a5f33a075fd5eff5cd61ae9292e2a.JPG

Checking in with family.

smIMG_0604.JPG.6d515802176604e118f380eeb5944455.JPG

Love the wake view.

smIMG_0609.JPG.3d90dcb2b7b3d559efc30f933b85857c.JPG

After this we had two more sea days and then done. 😞

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1