All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

That sounds like a great cruise Melody!

We branched out too sailing Norwegian from NYC in January, but we had a wonderful experience and would do it again if it was the right cruise on the right ship. Sadly we are getting to the point where so many ships are just too large for our taste and cannot visit the more interesting ports (to us) in the Caribbean due to their size.

I have two short trips coming up for visiting family and friends, then our next trip will be the Norway cruise in October. I've been doing some wardrobe planning since I knew it would be hard to winter clothes shop in the summer. I have some basic plans for some of the ports that need to be fleshed out, and two reservations booked for our most remote locations. Airfare has been booked for a while now but I still have to make our London hotel reservation. 

We will have 3 formal nights and my original plan was to skip the fancy wear, but with so many Europeans on board who plan to really dress up, I am thinking why not. We will have 6 sea days so it's not like we'll be rushing to get ready after a long day in port.

We had a cold and rainy April but now the sun has arrived and it was 82 yesterday! So we are scrambling to get our cottage ready for the summer, and overnight it seems it's time to plant some flowers and clean up the patio. I actually went kayaking yesterday and it was lovely.

Wishing everyone a lovely Mothers Day tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Melody, that sounds like a fabulous cruise.  We have never been on a longer than 7 night cruise, and as you know, they have all been with Royal.  I would like to try some different things, but I think it will likely be when I'm in retirement.  

I look forward to it.  For now though, I love hearing about all the different cruises and traveling everyone else is doing.

There are so many places and things I have always wanted to see.  One thing I am realizing is that we have had to make a lot of adjustments for husband's health, and we often wonder how different things will be compared to what we envisioned. There are so many things I tell myself not to take for granted.

He got another set of cortisone shots, so he has been doing pretty good for a few weeks.  He will be starting Humira soon, which we are a little nervous about.

I have been toying with outfits for our September cruise.  Harmony is a big ship.  I'm still shocked my husband chose it.  I approached our last cruise a bit differently, in a way. I'm going to approach this one in a similar fashion, and just focus on what feels good to wear and do.

Three formal nights sound fun to me!  

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 1

Melody, you have a fun family!  I feel like lately, I have a lot of pictures, but not of all of us.  The girls and I were just saying yesterday that we need a complete picture.

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day.  I view Mother's Day to be whatever you want it to be - you can celebrate being a mom to humans, pets, like a mother figure, or just celebrating your own mother.

My daughter always brings me something that her and my grandson make together, and they always give something to Aunt Ally (my other daughter, Alyssa) who is like a second mother to him.  

We had a fun day.  My husband has to work for graduation and convocation all weekend, so I am used to that.  Ally made brunch and my daughter and grandson came over.  We played in the yard and had a good time.  It was then time to drop my grandson off at this dad's, and me and the girls went to the outlet mall.

I didn't get much, as I was mostly just enjoying time with them.  I did come across a dress at the Banana Republic Outlet that I purchased.  I ad seen it online, but wasn't certain about the colors, and felt it was too expensive.  When I walked by the store though, they had the dress in the window, and the colors were great earthy colors.  One of my daughters wanted so see how the outlet was priced, so we went in.

Long story short, the $109.00 dress ended up being $42.00 with all the discounts, and I was in love with the fabric.  Is it a great style for me?  Not exactly.  Am I going to wear it on the next cruise?  Absolutely.  I thought it was a white background online, but it is really a nice warm ivory, and the purple, rust and gold are great.  

Halter Trapeze Maxi Dress

I was lining up dresses outside of the closet this morning, and it's funny how I have 6 of 7 dresses all picked out already, and lots of options for the last night...maybe.  I really have to see what fits.

I may do a try on later. 

I think one of the things I learned was that it pays to wander into different stores.  The outlet mall often has big sales, such as 40% off the whole store and so forth. Eddie Bauer Outlet had up to 50% off everything, but it seemed to be mostly 30%  Loft Outlet had at minimum 25% off everything.

I was just glad to have a day with the girls.

• Like 2

Thanks, Melody.  It is comfortable and feels just right for a cruise.

What have you all been up to?  We have been working outside a lot.  We have over half an acre, and it isn't flat and easy to take care of. I often have to discuss things like this with my husband in detail, and he has finally agreed that because his health is not always up to par, we have to make things easier to maintain.  That means a lot of work now, but it will be worth it in the end.

We started with a stretch of fence we have in the front yard.  It is place next to the house due to a steep drop.  Most of the yard isn't that bad, but we like the idea of doing this so we set it up a long time ago.  We power washed, painted, dug up a lot of problem plants and put down two layers of landscaping fabric.  Then we added stone around the lilac bushes that were there.  It looks so much better, and the only real maintenance will be pruning the lilac bushes from time to time.  We were having such a bad time with a very bad invasion of bull thistle, and it took a while to get that under control.  We then use the remaining stone for a small garden bed in the front where we had planted some woody geranium (cranesbill).  It was beautiful, but had been planted too close to the sidewalk.  So that section is completely re-done.  

Last year, we worked on the two beds that have shrubs closest to the house and re-did all the landscaping fabric.  Adding mulch isn't difficult for us, so it has been much easier to take care of.  I am just finishing up one small section of it that I didn't get to last year.

All these areas now have edging as well, making the mowing easier and keeping the mulch or stones where they are supposed to be.  It is such a good feeling.  We do have a very large area left though.  Then it is on to some smaller areas. 

It seems like a lot of work.  I enjoy the yard work, as well as my husband.  The thing is, he is able to work outside right now because he had the new cortisone shots in his knees.  It kind of feels like a race to get as much done as we can while he is able to get around good.

They are starting Humira soon, and I am very nervous about it.  There can be very serious side effects.  If it works, and we are very careful and diligent about checkups and blood work, we will hopefully be okay.  

I cant wait to start assembling my outfits and taking pictures to show you. While my cruise seems far away, I know that September will be here before we know it.  My husband even likes the idea of taking the guacamole making class.  It isn't a big deal to make, but we know it will be fun to take the class on a sea day, and it includes lunch and a drink!

• Like 1

Laurie we did the Margarita class at Sabor on Harmony. Les doesn’t drink margaritas but his won!  We all had a great laugh over it (he never tasted it)!

I still read along even though I’m rarely posting these days. I just got out of the habit when all I could post with was my phone…even after getting my new computer and more recently a gifted iPad…I’m just out of the habit.

that’s a beautiful dress Laurie! All my shopping lately has been very practical. My latest purchase, should be delivered Saturday are the heritage gardening bib overalls from Duluth. I’m doing so much yard work…and I love my overalls for it because it’s such a pain to deal with a shifting waistband when doing all the kneeling, bending, etc…but my sturdy duck canvas ones are way too hot for my warmer weather gardening. I’ve been battling cramps because I got myself dehydrated and I’m still trying to recover. These new ones are supposed to be soooo lightweight. 

I like yard work too Laurie. Well…I like designing and then gardening…and helping DH while he takes the lead on making my raised beds and otherwise bringing my design to life. It’s something I enjoy so much…it might become my second career…I’m still deciding what I want to be when I grow up.

Melody, your new haircut looks fab! I let my buzzed head grow out to a length to give a hairstylist something to work with and after trying 2 different hairstylists, I can say I found a good one. I’ve been back to her again…I’m sporting what I call a flippy, messy/shaggy pixie…when it’s doing what I love most, I think of it as anime hair lol.

You won’t believe it…DS is unofficially done with school. He had his last thing yesterday…presenting his senior portfolio to a special panel which included people from outside the school for the first time. He said it went “INCREDIBLY well.” We JUST got confirmation that his graduation ceremony will be July 11…fortunately our plans are to be there July 6-18 so we’re good!

Im excited to follow along on your cruises Laurie and Margaret. With the London trip…DH’s vacation time and our travel budget is pretty maxed out for the near future…and I’m reluctant to plan anything beyond knowing what is next for DS. He’s in the job hunt right now with the default plan being that he’ll boomerang back home after his visa runs out in October while continuing to look for work…should he not have anything before that. If he’s home…maybe we’d do something all together? Idk…

We are headed off on a fun road-trip vacation next week, taking advantage of Monday’s holiday for fewer vacation days for a week off. We’re headed up to NC for backpacking 2 nights at Grandfather Mountain, going to Dead&Co, and visiting my childhood friend I’ve known since 4th grade who recently moved to Raleigh. Should be a good time.

Laurie, are you sailing Harmony?

• Like 1

Hi Anita!!!  

Yes, I am cruising on Harmony.  This will only be the second time I've been on a bigger ship.  We sailed on Oasis a while back...maybe 2016?  I should check my signature for these posts.  I haven't updated it in a while, so I'm sure there are cruises I've been on that aren't listed.

Anyway, we know it will be a bit different for us.  We purchased the three night dinner package, so there will be a mix of places to eat along with varying the time.  I think that will work well, because we have always been late seating people, and my husband gets tired a bit easier these days.  Having a 6:30 or 7:00 dinner time is perfect to me.

It sounds like you have some fun planned for the coming weekend!  I like to schedule cruises near the bank holidays, for the same reason - to save a vacation day or two. 

Anita, I have always loved to garden, but I am more of a flower garden person than a vegetable garden, mostly because we couldn't keep the rabbits and woodchucks away from veggies around here.  We do have issues with deer, but lately they seem content to munch away in the wooded area near us and they've been leaving the flowers and shrubs alone. I'm certain they would be entice to eat any vegetables we would plant.  We have a fenced in yard for our dogs, and it doesn't stop the deer from jumping it, but they are usually just taking a short cut when they do that.

I love, love, love feeding birds.  It's an off and on thing, because once the squirrels and grackles know food is out, they can be dominant.  I find by leaving the feeders empty every so often, it deters them a bit.  I've been loving the blue birds we have had in our backyard.  I find it very calming to watch them.

Clothes....sigh.  Well, I've been very active lately, but it has taken me quite a while to lose four pounds.  Four whole pounds.  Well, I do feel better!  We have moved 3 cubic yards of stone, which is something like 2300 pounds per yard.  Lots of sweaty work.  Anyway, I have given in to buy some clothes that fit for work.  With dresses for cruises and other occasions, I purposely have chosen things that would be easy to adjust should I lose more weight.  

I'm very happy with that dress purchase though.  I was treating myself to something special, but feeling guilty to spend the money so getting a great deal with a bigger discount than I was expecting was great.

Melody, my husband can't drink with his medicines, but since some things are being changed, he is going to ask his doctor if it would be okay to have a beer once in a great while, or when we are on a cruise.  He already told me I can drink his drink too when we take the guacamole class, lol.  It appears I will really be enjoying the class!

• Like 1

Oasis class ships aren’t my favorite but I must admit that I get in the mood to go on them! I was on Allure for the TA with my parents and then DH and I sailed Harmony in Feb 2020, which was my last cruise. Not ever, just the last one I’ve sailed. We had such a good time on Harmony, so I have a soft spot for that ship. 

All the dining choices are what I love about Oasis…the smaller dining venues are soooo nice. My fave on Harmony is 150 Central. Of all the restaurants on board, it is definitely the quietest…the chairs in there are comfy. We had good food everywhere so…food didn’t set any one place apart…the atmosphere at 150 Central is just outstanding. I like the whole Central Park vibe in the evenings.

I hear you on the weight…sigh. It can be such a struggle and frustrating to have that need to purchase clothes in a larger size…but after all these years of fluctuating weight, I think it’s really important to feel good no matter what size we are…and so it’s worth it to get good clothing that is flattering and makes us feel good about our appearance…or at least as good as we can feel when a bit unhappy about having gained.

I’ve been trying to be more active my I keep having pains and tweaks…the latest was my hip which was really awkward. I didn’t even DO anything…but I stood up and wham, sharp shooting pain…I’m pretty sure that it was muscular because it has responded well to typical muscle strain treatment. I think I need to move more, I think it was actually stiffness from too much sitting.

The only way that I have heard that is a super successful way to deter deer from an edible garden is to double fence it. It doesn’t have to be a high fence…apparently deer can jump incredibly high…but one thing that they will not do is jump over something if there is uncertainty about their landing on the other side…so if you have two fences spaced however many feet apart…I can’t recall how many, 3? 4? 5?…but they won’t jump over the double fence situation because the lack of landing is the deterrent. As for rabbits…yeah…haven’t seen anything about that. The deer tip came from sort of show at some point and info stuck with me…it’s info that I think might be useful to me someday.

This next growing season…I’m going all in on the veggie garden. I have high hopes to drastically reduce my reliance on grocery stores…we’ll see how it goes. The growing seasons here are so weird…I think after almost 3 years OMG! I might finally get it LOL.

I’d like to get more into birding. I love to hear the bird songs and wish I could identify who was who more. I have an app on my phone for that but still. I recently visited a friend that had a wonderful bird house garden outside her kitchen eating room…it was wonderful to sit and watch all the birds. And so special! We got to see an Oriole!! Never saw the bluebirds that are in the area though. Exciting that you have those. I feel like that’s rare. But the next house in my yard will be a bat house. I have the house but still need to figure out exactly where to put it…I’m hoping to get some help with mosquitoes!

We are excited for our trip. The weather is looking fabulous. We are so ready for a break from the heat. It has been way too warm already this year.

• Like 1

Anita, it is funny what you say about Oasis class ships.  While I definitely enjoy Freedom and Explorer class because they have variety without being too big, there is something very attractive about taking a cruise on a bigger ship.  For me, one of the best parts is what you mentioned - Central Park.  That to me is the very biggest draw of the entire ship.  It's too closed in otherwise.

I like Radiance class a lot too, because I love walking out and seeing the water.  We always find loungers and read or listen to music.  If you are inside, they have done such an amazing job of having glass all over, so that you don't feel closed in at all.  The down side is the promenade area where the shops are almost has a claustrophobic feel.

I think you can really match your cruise to your mood, you know?

It's funny you mentioned figuring out the growing season in Florida, because I was going to ask you that.  I was wondering if everything just grows year round!  When I used to have a garden, I loved it but it was such a chore keeping the animals away from it that I knew there was no way for me to keep up with it with my current job responsibilities.  I had a ton of tomatoes.  I would grow grape tomatoes for snacking and salads, and roma tomatoes for homemade sauce.  I wasn't into canning, so I purchased heavy duty freezer zip lock bags and it was great.  I would put the bag in a bowl to dethaw in the fridge just in case, but they never leaked.  Peas were grown just to snack on uncooked.

I miss it, and who knows...maybe when I am retired, I will try again.  We have over half an acre, so I could squeeze a garden in somewhere.

I love orioles!  they are a rarity here, but I am learning that different types of feeders in the front and back of the house is the best way to attract a variety of birds.  

• Like 1

I'm currently doing laundry and my husband is finishing up some work on the riding mower, so I decided to snap a few pictures of my cruise dresses.  Once I am sure which ones are going, I will finalize accessories but I enjoy this process so much. 

First though is a very lousy picture I took of a blue bird in my yard.  I wanted to get closer, but I didn't want to scare him off.

20230514_085722_resized_1.thumb.jpg.49829067170447e0d4161f474d9fd663.jpg

So, in the next picture, the first three dresses I would say are definite.  The first is for formal night, and I've had this dress a while.  It still fits!  I got a good clearance deal at Macys, and my husband really loves this dress for some reason.  It's a good choice for formal night.  I had an awful time trying to get the colors to reflect correctly, but this pictures shows them the best out of the three photos I took.

The second dress is what I wore for my daughter's wedding.  I've been wanting to bring it on a cruise since I wore it in 2019, so I thought it would be good for dress  your best night.  Like the burgundy formal night dress, this isn't an earth color.  It is kind of unique....a purplish blue.  I have lot of jewelry options for it depending on how much i want to dress it up.

The third dress is my new dress!  I love the mostly earthy colors. The darker color is a warm purple, by the way.  I love the idea of wearing that to one of the specialty dinners in Central Park.

The last dress is the one I got from Chico's Off the Rack.  They had a good sale and a first time shopper coupon.  The fabric quality is outstanding.  There is just enough weight to make it lay nice and disguise the lines of undergarments.  I am debating about this one, mostly because I am just trying to narrow down my options and there is competition!  I was thinking that I could always throw on my gold sandals and this bejeweled, sparkly, statement bracelet I have.  Or, I could wear a casual sandal or even a flat sandal.  I'm not sure yet.

20230527_152614_resized_1.thumb.jpg.53fabcf6615ba56a79fc297c4fbb3b42.jpg

Out of the next group I think the first three are the most likely to go, but as I said...competition.  The first dress I wore on the last cruise.  I just love it.  

the orange dress is very likely, once I take it in a bit.  Chico's sizing is a bit different, with numbers. I have extra space in this dress.  I can easily take it in under the arms  and down the sides a smidgen, as it is unlined.  Once again, the fabric is a bit heavier without being too heavy.  

The teal dress is really pretty on.  It is unlike all my other dresses.  Sometimes, that is a reason to bring it, and sometimes, it is a reason not to bring it. 

The last two are both animal prints.  The ne with the wood beads at the top is from Dress Barn.  I got it ages ago!  When it got too big, I took it in.  For whatever reason, I left the original seam in because I wasn't sure I liked how I adjusted it.  So I just let it back out, and it's perfect.  

The last dress is a swing dress, and it was one of those amazing deals you sometimes find.  I paid $19.00, I believe?  Nordstrom Off the Rack?  When it came in, it had more black in it than what I wanted, but I liked it, so I kept it.

20230527_152835_resized_1.thumb.jpg.a8784f46c1b2de574a2f278210887542.jpg

So much of what you see here is about how the dresses make me feel.  As always, I love to get your input. Once again, I apologize for the lighting.

I also want to post a picture of another dress.  I can see it being worn in a port if it isn't windy, but this style of dress doesn't do well on a cruise.  I got this at the same time as the new animal print dress, for about $15.00, if I remember correctly.  It is a bit snug at the top, but wearable.  If  lose a few pounds, it should fit nice.  I don't really expect to bring it, but I will definitely get a lot of use out of it.

20230527_153119_resized_1.thumb.jpg.ae12598060c9bb933c69aa7354c98a3a.jpg

Can you believe all the prints?   Me? 

20230527_152901_resized_1.jpg

20230527_153144_resized_1.jpg

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 1

Ooh Laurie, tough choices!  How long is this cruise?  We have b2b (which is 14 in February & a 21 night on HAL (which I understand is a bit more formal) in Ict 2024. I’m trying to keep suitcase weight down. Melody

As you can tell, I have some figuring out to do.  In the first picture, the first three dresses are definite.  I know that in the second picture, I want to bring the orange dress once I take it in.  To be honest, the orange dress is more about the color.  My husband and I often do not match, because we wear what appeals to us.  He is wearing a certain shirt and that dress will work perfectly with him wearing his shirt.

I really want to bring the tropical dress that is first in the second picture as well.  I wore that on the last cruise, but didn't get a picture because it was the last night.

Technically, all the others could be changed around.  Comfort is more important to me than it used to be, but all the remaining dresses are comfortable.  The blue one probably requires a bit more fussing such as a shaper underneath, but I really feel good in that dress.  

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 1

Hi all.  Has anyone found a racerback or convertible bra they like?  Soma used to carry a few bras where I could cross the straps but they discontinued them.  I really like them for some of my sleeveless dresses and tops.  I have a lot of trouble with straps showing and falling down. 

• Like 1

Laurie, I've used these to convert a regular bra to racerback with some success. They do tend to stretch out the straps a bit, so best to dedicate a bra to this purpose. 

Screenshot_20230604-213736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a1890638a916ea9581dd35da17eb290f.jpg

I also recently ordered this bra from Soma for the crossback feature. YMMV but I find it comfortable and I think it will be quick-drying. 

Screenshot_20230604-213246_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c211f0cf8642c0ee63a3c3d49b90854c.jpg

19 hours ago, laurspag said:

Hi all.  Has anyone found a racerback or convertible bra they like?  Soma used to carry a few bras where I could cross the straps but they discontinued them.  I really like them for some of my sleeveless dresses and tops.  I have a lot of trouble with straps showing and falling down. 

Soma has a front closure bra with convertible straps, it’s pretty comfy

On 6/4/2023 at 7:48 PM, laurspag said:

Waocol (not sure of the spelling) sells several that have a hook that converts regular to racer. I've been happy with them.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions!  I will look at those.

Melody, your deck is beautiful.  We have no deck or patio and it's been a huge item on the top of my list for a while.  My husband thinks he will feel better, and have his friends help.  They have done beautiful work, but they are busy and my husband's health is a bit up and down.  I also want a composite.

We were a bit surprised with the estimate we got three years ago, and I'm sure it's way more now.  I'm going to try and convince him to do this next year.  Fingers crossed!

Well, we are right in the midst of the wildfire smoke.  It is recommended that we stay indoors.  I have never experienced this before.  I never knew how bad the smoke would be, I just figured it would be hazy. It's like being close to a campfire.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, laurspag said:

Thank you for the suggestions!  I will look at those.

Melody, your deck is beautiful.  We have no deck or patio and it's been a huge item on the top of my list for a while.  My husband thinks he will feel better, and have his friends help.  They have done beautiful work, but they are busy and my husband's health is a bit up and down.  I also want a composite.

We were a bit surprised with the estimate we got three years ago, and I'm sure it's way more now.  I'm going to try and convince him to do this next year.  Fingers crossed!

Well, we are right in the midst of the wildfire smoke.  It is recommended that we stay indoors.  I have never experienced this before.  I never knew how bad the smoke would be, I just figured it would be hazy. It's like being close to a campfire.

This is the new Cool Trex (not supposed to get over 80 degrees).  Our SIL (commercial landscaper) recommended this company. 5 days, tear down (& dispose of all materials) came when they said they would & worked continuously). Their quote was $20k less than our neighbor, our deck is twice their size & ours is done perfectly. Really helps to have friends ‘in the biz’!!!  Laurie, we also have more than 1/2 acre, we’re making it as non-maintenance (very low maintenance) as possible.

Anita, enjoy your DS’s graduation next month!!  

FYI, since I’ve been able to walk again without pain I’ve dropped 8 lbs in under 2 weeks, no other changes but the walking (great feeling).  Melody

• Like 2