All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

We went to the opera Cyrano last night. I was pleasantly surprised to see as many people dressed up as they were. Not everyone was, of course...I saw a guy in jeans and sneakers and his sporty rain coat...women in the same. The night was raining off and on...and I don't have anything remotely formal like for cold weather...so it was challenging for me to figure out what to wear. My biggest challenge for that is shoes...I literally do not own dress shoes for cold weather...my sandals barely qualify...

Anyway, I started with my lace up boots again and brown tights. I wore Margaret's dress and my jean jacket because that seemed to be the best match for the overall look with the boots:

IMG_1882.jpg

I have mixed feelings about this photo. First, I'm very happy with my smile and how my recent weight loss is showing in my face. I'm really unhappy with my posture. Also, I don't love the fit of the jean jacket...I think it's too boxy and the length hits me at just the wrong spot.

I have definitely identified a need I have for dressier clothing for cooler weather. Not sure what exactly I'll do about that...I'm getting by right now and my changing shape is not encouraging me to spend much on clothing that I wouldn't wear much. I have a bunch of returns and exchanges to make already.

I have art work that hasn't made it up on the walls yet either. We have one big open room that has the kitchen, a dining area, a tv sitting area and a kind of open area with DH's desk and some exercise equipment (which can be used in the open area). I've used the art work with the groupings to define the areas. I'm trying not to overload the walls, but I do want to get the art work up.

Well, printed off our set sail pass & took a peek at photo packages, then looked at Captains Club benefits. Ooh, score. Unlimited Digital & print package $200 hmm, $100 off for Elite shows as “the studio” discount. Oh, that package includes unlimited WiFi for $187. Ok, I’m really interested. $387. So I call Captains Club to get my Elite discount added. She gives me a price of $207, hey. Ok!!! This package is only available on Celebrity Silhouette, we’re on Eclipse. She says it was my error you can have both unlimited packages for $207 as that’s what I quoted you. Yup, I’m getting connectivity & Les gets all his pictures. Score! Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by awhfy

Anita, you can definitely see your weight loss. Love the dress, like the jacket as part of the outfit. You look comfortable & confident. How was Cyrano? Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Margaret, I'm sure you understand the emotional attachment to things such as paintings then. Also, when there really isn't an attachment, there is guilt? Or something that means something to me doesn't mean something to my husband, or vice versa.

Here is an interesting little tidbit I have this photo in a fishing picture frame. You know, those resin ones with things like a pole, net, lures, etc. on it? Well, that is not my kind of thing. Ever. but it has an old black and white photo of my mom in it, on a day when she was fishing.

I came across a picture of my dad fishing. I realized I wanted to put both of those photos out. I was struggling with frames when I realized that, for whatever reason, I wanted my mom's picture to stay in that frame. So after looking for a few week online and in stores, my husband did a search and found one on Etsy. He promptly ordered it for me. Once it comes in and the pictures are on the built it, I will take a photo for you.

Sometimes, style, arrangement, decor - it's a huge thing to me. And sometimes I let go and go with my heart. So I get to live in a home instead of a house, and that means a lot to me. It meant a lot to me too that my husband was just as determined as I was to find a fishing photo frame.

Believe it or not, I have a lot of ideas already on what to wear on my April cruise. It is 6 days. It's been a while since I've been on a six day cruise, but I recall that there are two formal nights, just like there is for a 7 day. One debate I have with a 6 night cruise is that the second night might be a bit less formal. I can honestly say that with my last 3-4 cruises, people really dressed up overall on both formal nights. Just like Anita's night at the opera, you will always get a mix. But there were plenty of full length gowns both nights. So for now, I have it down to a few things for formal night that I already have. That leaves 4 other nights. I have the new Michael Kors maxi that I think would be great to bring. I have that new red swing dress as well. With the other two nights, I have items in my closet that fit the bill just fine. I look forward to picking my clothes for my trips.

Anita, you look wonderful! That dress seems to be such a good dress for you. I know I don't wear prints such as that, but they look right at home with you. I think the jeans jacket with the dress and boots fits your personality. Myself, we go places mostly in warmer weather, it seems. Once the weather starts to cool off, I think we go to more sporting events than anything else. We mostly work at our jobs and in our house, it seems. So when we get out in the fall or winter, it means a basketball or football game. Even in the earlier part of spring, it will be hockey season still fi the Crunch are in the playoffs.

We went to the Nutcracker last year and we are going again this year. I posted a photo a few pages ago, so you can see how I will be dressing for that again this year. I have that teal like dress I just got, and I was thinking of wearing that one. If I decide not to, I have another red dress with a lace overlay. It photographed awful on my February cruise, but I have a picture from last year's Christmas party I can post in a bit. Speaking of the Christmas party, I may wear the one I wore to the Nutcracker last year.

It gets so cold here...I admit I get really cold in those dresses. But I also have a really rough time finding things with sleeves.

I would like to have a casual dress that I can wear with my boots during cooler weather. I can just throw a scarf or something on with it. I found this, but I don't like that kind of waist on me. I want something with no gathers or pleats, just continuous fabric for a bit of fit and flare look, or a straight, but not overly fitted, shape. That maybe hard to find.

https://www.chadwicks.com/product/3-4-sleeve-empire-pleatknit-dress.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100623

If any of you see something like that in an earth color, let me know!

I also thought about this, minus the belt:

https://www.chadwicks.com/product/long-denim-shirtdress.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&refType=&from=fn&cl1&ecList=7&ecCategory=100672

Anita, I am noticing the other couple in the background of the photo you posted. I am noticing her attire and his, then I'm seeing a glimpse of someone off to the right on the stairs. So you are right, you will see variety.

Another thought I had too is that I am liking the choker style shirts and dresses. But I don't really seem to find one that is right for me. I saw a cute set of necklaces and it got me thinking of how I can create the look. So now I am a bit more focused on a knit basic dress with a V or scoop neck and maybe I can create the effect.

I do have one top like this, and I was a bit aggravated with the choker part. I think the choker necklace would be better because it won't pull by being attached to the shirt. And you know, I love necklaces. :)

Melody, great deal on the pictures and wifi! We have decided on wifi for our next cruise, but since we are diamond, we each get a free day of internet. So I am going to wait until we are onboard, use our free days, then buy the rest of the days. I really wish they would just let me purchase it that way, you know?

We get one free photo, from what I understand. I love photos though, only getting one would be rather difficult for me.

Incidentally, when we are talking about having lots of photos, I swap out the cruise photos. I have one frame in my family room, and I change the picture every so often.

By the way, my mom used to pick some very bold paint colors. She had an orange kitchen, and when we moved she painted the next one orange too. Eventually, she changed it to a glow in the dark yellow. Maybe that is why I love color so much.

Dresses with sleeves are really hard to find! I was excited to have found that one dress...but I'm going to be returning it. It's on clearance right now for even cheaper...I might buy it again, but I'm not going to just exchange it. Things have changed in my shape so we'll see how the sizing works out.

I have to return/exchange the Soft Surroundings shirts too. I think I'm still in the allowable time frame. There's a store about 30-35 minutes away...I'm debating just going there and trying on some shirts, etc. to see how the fit is.

I could really use some nicer cold weather items. Things that are a step above "smart casual"...things to wear to the opera or ballet, etc. The Nutcracker is coming up. And we'll be seeing that, I'm sure. There's other in the holiday spirit performances around...I think that the playhouse is putting on It's A Wonderful Life. Things like that.

I had to go to Target today and I decided to shop the clothing section to see if there was anything that would help me with this whole nicer but warm concept...and lo and behold...I found a jacket thing that I just could not resist!

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-sherpa-sweater-jacket-knox-rose-153-ivory/-/A-52703166#lnk=sametab

OMG...the pictures online do not do this jacket justice at all. It is all about texture on texture...I'll have to get a picture to share. The back and arms are a sweater knit, with a really great knit pattern adding so much interest. The front is like faux suede with sherpa lining...so the lapels are the sherpa...it felt very lux to me.

And it came home with me today.

I love your red dress for the Nutcracker. IDK how your evening goes...Mom and I used to go to the Nutcracker every year. At some point, we started going to the San Francisco Ballet performance at the War Memorial Opera House. That was very special and we would definitively wear party dresses (like your red lace) to the ballet. Here...I'm imagining more that we will be walking several blocks to the venue.

The venue itself is a historical one...it was originally built to be a silent movie theater...so that's interesting. The stage is flanked by two huge pipe organs. The seats are on the small side...so the ambiance of the theater is almost shabby chic in a way. It's all crystal and dark wood and curving stairs...and it's not really shabby...that's a misnomer...and it's not dated in a bad way...it's just not like going to the Opera House. Though there are definitely, again, a mix of dress in attendance.

I think that I do well going for a kind of understated fancy. As I just go ahead and wear things...and then figure out how I might improve on the outfits...and people watch...that's so fun!...I get ideas for what I think is more me. I'm really attracted to the outfits that are layered and separates more than fancy dresses. Which is one reason why I'm debating that one dress...

According to the whole style thing...separates are supposed to be my friend...and I would say that I usually do feel better with a layered look.

Things to ponder...

Laurie, we’ve never bothered with the wifi before, just using our 90 minutes each on Celebrity or 24 consecutive hours (nuts) on Royal. I might even post some pictures while on board! Love that red lace dress!

Anyone else having an issue with the time change (except for Pam who lives in a smart state!). Going forward doesn’t bother me, falling back I’m just miserable it doesn’t bother me when we travel, don’t know if it’s the excitement or that I’m tired from travel.

Anita, look at a good, long, warm coat then just wear your lighter clothes under it. Melody

Anita, I love to "hear" your thought process. Especially now, after losing my mom (and this is something I felt after 9/11 as well) I'm feeling in a more minimalist mood, and the idea of having to layer up for the colder weather just makes me not happy. Not unhappy, just not happy. This weekend I had to wear socks, and it drove me crazy. I don't want to wear socks, or coats, or scarves or nothin'. I am being a bit pissy, I know, but there you go, and I realize it's totally tied to my emotional state and probably isn't permanent. I love the idea of that sweater, where all the detail is there in one piece. That's right up my alley.

Melody, I hate the time change because my body is on such a sleep routine and I have to plan ahead to adjust it. On top of that I have a cold and I'm sleeping a lot, which is screwing me up. My students, who don't understand why our country does this crazy thing, have more issues with the leap forward in the spring and often show up an hour late to class. :eek:

Laurie, your comment about guilt... I have stuff that I don't want but just can't bring myself to give away. It feels like I'm dishonoring my mom or grandma, who cherished and lovingly cared for these things so they could give them to me one day. Here I am, ungrateful wretch, wanting to put them on Freecycle, because even on eBay nobody wants our old stuff. I can't even get my siblings to take any of it.

On a happy note, I hung three things up today, two in our office that were there before and a small botanical print in the kitchen that previously was hiding behind a door. The kitchen print is of lilies-of-the-valley, which is my favorite flower and my birth flower, and I had them in my wedding bouquet, so lots of happy associated with that print.

Melody...I have a couple long warm coats. My deal is that I'm cold inside as well. I NEED to have sleeves, etc., even in summer...sometimes, especially in summer if the a/c is really going. When we first walked into the theater for the pre-opera talk...it was freezing cold in there. I'm sure that was for the benefit of the performers...and it was warmer as the evening progressed with all the people in attendance...still...I was happy all night in my jean jacket and covered legs.

You did ask about Cyrano. I was only familiar with the story because I've seen the movie Roxanne. So the story was fun...they called it a tragicomedy...because, as is typical of opera...lots of death happening. I had some insights into he music thanks to DS...so I could really appreciate the music...but I must be honest and say that I didn't love the libretto. It felt very much like everyone was just singing lines in a play...there were no stand out arias...and there were times when I felt like the singing was just an opportunity for the singer to exercise their opera voice in the way of doing exercises rather than vocalizing a song to evoke an emotion or mood. That said, the chorus was very good and well used. And there were duets and a quartet of singing that was amazing.

A highlight for the night for DS was that he was able to talk to and meet the composer. Both the composer and the writer of the libretto were in attendance. DS recognized a fellow student there and together they tracked down the composer during one of the intermissions. DS was pretty darn pleased about that. This is, after all, what he hopes to do, and so it is a thrill for him always to talk to a composer.

Margaret...big hugs! Even in your angst, you have humor.

I am also in that minimalist mood. It doesn't translate to wearing as little as possible though. It's more like I just want to own and be surrounded by things that I care about and/or are useful. I want to weed out the excess and learn to be more discerning with what gets purchased and brought into our home.

I have inherited A LOT of things...from furniture to artwork to jewelry to dishes to, just, well...all kinds of things. When the time is right, then you learn how to combat that guilt. There's a switch that happens in your thinking, and despite however much I would love to be the enlightening moment...it's an internal thing. Something will hit you and you will find in yourself peace in letting go.

For me...a part of it was imagining DS dealing with all my stuff. I would not want him to be feeling any kind of angst because of stuff...especially stuff that came from me. I would never want to be the cause of such a negative emotion. I combined that with the idea that I could give great honor to those things that really made a home in my heart...caring for them and using them and showcasing them (artwork)...and that those things that just weren't "me"...it was better to find them a home where someone would care for them, because it was not honoring them to just be stored. And I didn't have to hang on to everything...I could choose to keep the BEST and let go of the rest.

And sometimes, the only way that you can find someone who will care for them...is to donate them to a place where people go looking for such things...even if that's Goodwill.

For myself...I've recently come across some very interesting ideas for showcasing Playbills into wall art. I've morphed these ideas into something that works for me in my mind, and now I'm going to have a little project. I'm going to fashion corners, like the kind that used to be used to put photos in albums...these will be oversized corners...and I'm going to put the corners on the two large cork boards we have and don't use...all lined up...and then I'm going to put the Playbills in the corners. What I like about this idea over frames, is that we can still access the Playbills to see who performed and the story line, etc. They will look like a collage picture, I think.

I'm pretty happy about this because I like those Playbills...but figuring out what to do with them has been a challenge!

Melody, I'm sensitive to cold but I'm not always cold. I'm familiar with the symptom you mean and keep tabs on thyroid issues because of Mom. I do believe my sensitivity is more related to low blood pressure and some circulation issues...also, I find when I start on a losing weight trend that it can take me a bit to acclimate to new fat levels, as odd as that may sound. It's sad, but I've been through this before, losing fat as the weather gets colder...and that combined with the blood pressure/circulation gets me. I'm also gifted with the ability to sweat and so I have the same issue in the summer...getting warm and then getting chills in the overcompensation that so much a/c is.

Adding...I know I come by this naturally. I always remember my Great Grandma Mary taking a sweater to the grocery store! And she lived in the CA desert! And this was in summer...LOL

Well, I had my nuclear stress test & echo cardiogram this morning. They hoped (cause of my foot) that I’d be able to get through level 1. Over achiever that I am I maxed it out at level 4 at 22 percent elevation for 20 minutes (they needed 7). It’s nice to have PAs, nurses & cardio techs cheering. Every minute longer I could do meant better images. I’m beat! My darn Fitbit didn’t pick up a single step [emoji22]. The PA said it’s very likely all my issues are related to the hiatal hernia. I’m going to have a nap! Weather is cooperating for one, ice & snow showers & 16 degrees right now. Melody

Anita, the cardiologist thought that before the test, but she wanted to rule out everything. I’m glowing in the dark from all the nuclear medicine!!! On the brighter side, 16 days till we leave for South Beach & 18 Days till we sail! [emoji41][emoji924][emoji905][emoji484]. Melody

Banana bread, zucchini bread & pumpkin bread. All frozen & will pull out for Thanksgiving at our daughter’s. Someone please remind me they’re in the freezer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anita (& anyone that wants it). Easy pumpkin bread

Add items in order given, no sifting, stir after each addition

3 Cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 1 Cup oil, 2/3 Cup water, 3-1/2 Cups flour, 1 Cup canned pumpkin

Bake at 375 for the following times. Well grease all pans

Bunde cake 1-1/4 hrs (Check at 1 hr)

Large loaf pan (makes 2) 45 min

Muffins or muffin tops increase heat to 400 & bake 20 min. Melody

Easy & smells so good baking. I serve with whip cream usually. This was my grandmother’s recipe (we adjusted from melted shortening to vegetable oil in the 70s...I’ve tried it with applesauce instead of oil, but it does mess up the consistency)

So here's my new Target sweater jacket. These are one of the burgundy high waisted skinnies from Target that I got a while ago...I actually made the shirt...I've been trying to wear these Minnetonka booties more...and I'm playing with how to wear them with socks:

IMG_1888.jpg

The jacket is a pretty decent ivory...I wish it was a bit more cream colored...but I do like it a lot. It's so very comfortable, and the right kind of warm for walking around town in 51 degree weather. Having gloves would have been nice because the jacket doesn't have pockets.

So this shot is in front of our building...and yes, see that RR sign behind me? I LIVE on the RR tracks. Yes I do.