All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, love the sweater jacket. I never wear my Minnetonka booties, need to pull them out. I haven’t tried coconut oil, I think it might have too much flavor & overpower the pumpkin? I put the leftover pumpkin into a spaghetti sauce or soup (adds fiber). Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anita, I like how the shawl collar frames your face. Very nice. Aren't you a hip city girl!

I love to bake in the fall, but I am restraining myself this year. DH has borderline adult diabetes so we have been living without baked goods for more than a month now. He's doing really well, and I've lost 7 of the 10 pounds I wanted to drop before our cruise. Plus I've been sick with a cold this week, and I just don't feel like eating.

Look at this pretty sweater, wouldn't it be nice for the holidays?

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/petites-raven-sequin-sweater/

Margaret, I received one of those catalogs myself a few days ago, so I eagerly looked through it. There were some things I liked, and some things that weren't quite me. But I thought a lot of it was pretty, and could see many of my friends here wearing the items. I saw that sweater right away, and thought it was beautiful.

I saw this shirt, and thought it was an earthy print for some of you:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/montaigne-shirt/

Anita, I love our outfit. I think that shade of ivory works good for you. I'm always trying to find more deeper ivory colors, khakis and beige shades. They are a great neutral for me but they can be hard to find sometimes.

Your whole outfit comes together great, and your shirt works so well with everything!

When needing a new wardrobe, I find that I get rid of the worst things first. I haven't gotten rid of a lot lately, and I was looking to see why I keep wearing the same few things, or saying that I don't have enough shirts or whatever. Here is what I found:

- I have been able to find dresses. I have a few things I would like to add, but I can do very well with what I have for casual, business, dress and formal occasions. If I come across the perfect dress, great. But I'm not "in need" of any right now.

- I need work pants. I have lucked out and purchased caramel, rust and deep muted orange pants last year at Express. But I'm really struggling for neutrals, especially for this time of the year. I really need to add about 3 pair of dress pants in earthy neutrals such as chocolate brown, lighter brown, and dark khaki. I wouldn't mind a pair of dark brown casual pants.

- I need some business like sweaters because it is getting cold! I have a couple of blazers, but I'm having trouble pairing them with the not so neutral pants.

-Shirts - I need those ivories and other neutral basics I mentioned earlier. It can be hard to tie together teal pants a brown blazer unless there is a print with both of those colors, or something such as an ivory top. Fine gauge sweaters are my favorite, because they can be worn alone with scarf in spring and fall, then under a jacket or sweater when it gets cooler.

- I'm sad with some of my fall/winter casual wear. If we aren't going to a Syracuse game, I'm somewhat limited with choices right now.

That probably sounds like I"m saying I need a ton of things. I don't. I need about three pairs of dress pants (staple of my work wardrobe right now) about 3 fine gauge sweaters, a couple of casual sweaters for weekends, and a few sweaters that can be worn to work over a shirt of fine gauge sweater, such as a cardigan. And a scarf or two to bring some of these things together.

It's like I have pieces that I can't put together, even though they are earth. That comes with working in a conservative place too though.

Melody, I love to bake, but I don't do too much of it anymore. My husband and I watch our sugar intake a bit. I can walk away from sweets, but he LOVES them. So we try to eat fruit instead if we want a little something sweet. I love to bake pies for Thanksgiving though!

I am always cold, which in more recent years is related to thyroid issues. When my dosage regulates my TSH levels, then it isn't that bad. But long before I developed thyroid issues, I struggled with being cold. That is one of the reasons I'm looking for sweaters and the like.

Interestingly enough, I don't really find the dining room on cruises to be cold, but I am often cold in the various lounges. So sleeveless dresses at dinner are fine for me and I don't need a shawl.

I was getting some horrible hot flashes a few months ago, but now I only get them off and on at night, and they don't linger long.

Laurie, we got snow this morning, and I imagine you did too. Main roads were salted, but our area in Greece NY were slippery. You know people forget how to drive even if they’ve lived here all their lives. [emoji30].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went to Soft Surroundings today. All I can say is that the whole Soft Surroundings system is totally whacked.

So I took both of those wrap tops back to the store to return them. I didn't like the marshmallow color...it was not the heather like ivory color that I thought it would be...and meanwhile, the ivory colored on that was so fab when I first got it...well, the XL was way too big, so both needed to go back. I was told that the catalog sales were completely different than store sales, so even if I wanted to shop...unless I wanted to do an order to exchange...it was best to do a return and then a new purchase. Fine.

I shared that a skirt that I got on mega clearance last spring in the store is now full priced again. Exact same skirt. I saw it in the store again. Well...here's a new one...

I purchased this top:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/banjara-top/

It's pretty fab IRL...very special with all the embroidery...and the colors...it just goes so well with both those burgundy colored and green colored skinnies that I got from Target earlier...well...in the store, it was on mega clearance...originally $98.95 sticker, plus $69.99 sale sticker, plus $49.98 sale sticker AND and additional 25% off the yellow and red stickers...so I got it TODAY for $37.48...but I would pay full price if I ordered it online! And it wouldn't ship until 11/14? SO WHACK.

I also purchased this top:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/shimmer-timely-tank/

It was $59.95 original sticker, then $39.99, then $29.98, then $19.97 AND 25% that red sticker...so $14.98. OR...original cost online?

My big splurge were these pants:

https://www.softsurroundings.com/p/ultra-soft-bootcut-pants/

Which I think will look so lux with my new cream colored sweater jacket. It's too bad that the brown shimmery tank is more of a red brown and the pants are more yellow...so they totally clash...however...I have other shirts that will work just fine. I think that I can dress these pants up for going out on the town.

I probably tried on about 25 different items. I am completely in between their sizes for the shirts. The smaller size is too tight across the arm/shoulder area...and the bigger size is too loose from the shoulder down to the armpit area...

Anyway...point being is that if there is anything that you like at that store...it is really worth while to go INTO the store...because the whole pricing structure and management of the stores seems completely independent of the catalog/web site.

I agree Anita. I don’t understand Soft Surroundings pricing at all. I bought a swing shirt in a great teal there & I’m still not sure if I’ll keep it. My daughter is going to check it out tomorrow & we’ll decide if I keep it or not

I like that embroidered top a lot. I did a search and there's a SS store in the mall on my way to the lake. One day I'll have to visit!

We bought our anniversary present today: we got a big TV and speakers for our new living room. We celebrated our purchase with a stop for ice cream. :D We were supposed to go out to dinner on our actual anniversary, but I was so sick we stayed home. I coughed so much I threw my back out -- while I was asleep!! -- but a quick visit to the chiro fixed me up. We went out with friends Fri and Sat so I feel like we've had plenty of celebrating at this point.

I finally found a new base for our dining table, so after it comes on Friday I'll take some pictures of that part of the apartment because it will finally be done.

This week I'm going to start pulling out clothes for the cruise and see if I can make some decisions about what to take. It's going to work out to about 5 days of hot weather clothes, and 5 days of temps in the 60s and 70s. Once we are a bit closer to departure and know what our local weather is, I'll figure out what to travel in. Since I'm limited to what currently fits, it shouldn't take too long. Or maybe not. I like to lay everything out on the bed and see what plays nicely together and how I feel about the pieces.

We haven't had snow yet, but we had a record low on Friday of 26. I'm just not ready for that yet.

We have had plenty of cold, and yes...snow! Friday morning, there were all sorts of accidents. I didn't have any issues driving myself, as I was thinking that black ice was a strong possibility so I took my time.

Anita, one thing about being cold from a thyroid issue versus just being cool...with the thyroid, it just stays. You can put on a sweater or whatever, but you still seem to be chilly when you know you shouldn't be. That being said, I get hot flashes these days so at least some of the time, it offsets.

I have trouble figuring out what to wear when I get cold because a lot of what I like to wear just won't keep me warm enough. As a result, I've been thinking more about how a scarf will instantly make me feel warmer, and I should take advantage of that. I really like to look a bit polished, and a scarf is an accessory to me. Also, it's a way for me to wear prints without feeling overwhelmed.

I found a sweater in Target today that I think might work well when it's cold in general, but even as a lightweight coat. I have not tried it on yet, because I'm wearing a fleece pullover today. It is iffy for me. It did not look nearly as oversized and baggy as it does here, so we will see. Sometimes, all I have to do is go down a size if something looks that way to me.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-spacedye-oversized-cocoon-cardigan-mossimo-supply-co-153-olive/-/A-52133840#lnk=sametab

The colors were great, and since I have knit tops that will go well with this. I can put it with jeans, but I was thinking that my caramel skinny jeans would look nice with this as well. Maybe think a bit about the top or sweater worn underneath, my brown boots...like your really pulled together outfit, Anita? I hope it works. The photo from the Target website freaks me out a little bit, lol.

Anita, those pants from Soft Surroundings are about the same color as my caramel skinny jeans, I think. Those are really nice. I love the brown top too. I know what you mean about things not working together even if they are earth colors. That is why I am looking for neutral or basic pants.

Margaret, I can't wait to see pictures of your apartment. It seems my husband and I have been on a bit of a mission to get some things done, and we are making progress. By the end of April, we should have the half bath complete, the builts ins situated in the mud room, plus some other odds and ends. I will be able to take a picture of the laundry room tomorrow. I put a coat of paint on the trim so I can't hang up the curtain until tomorrow after I get home from work. I'm happy with the paint color now that it has had a chance to grow on me, and I really like my pictures.

Oh, and I love doing laundry in the new washer and dryer!

Anita, I can't understand that pricing scenario from Soft Surroundings. That is crazy. I do a lot of shopping online, since our mall is very big and it can be hard to go there unless we plan to be there a long time. I also use Ebates and search for coupons too. (if you use Ebates, they will look for all available coupons for you.)

Sally, I'd love to hear about Disney.

Anita , I love that print top . I really need to go to the store .We have one in our new mall .

Margaret , It sounds like your apartment is really coming together .

Laurie, I like that sweater .

Melody , Good going on your tests .

I love JJill and I found a hidden gem on their site . It is at the bottom of the sale area and it is called last loves . I have gotten some incredible bargains there .

Laurie, my daughter has that sweater, it’s pretty big

What kind of washer/dryer did you get? I’m thinking we’ll need to replace ours in the near future too.

Sally, I’m going to look at JJill, I haven’t noticed that feature

Melody

Love the color and your curtain ! Enjoy the new appliances ! My laundry room is a laundry alcove since we live on the water everything needs to be elevated so the laundry is between the kitchen and a den . I have never had a really nice laundry room and your's is really nice .

What a great laundry room. We live in an older home & my w/d is in with the furnace & hot water heater, not conducive to enjoyment. Hardly enough room to turn around. What I’d give to be able to fold clothes in the laundry room. At least Les has put bars above the w/d so I can hang clothes that don’t go in the dryer (I.e., my entire wardrobe!)

Thank you all. I am very fortunate. This is on the main floor, and the room is bigger than it appears in the photos. I will take a few more tomorrow. The counterrtop to the left is probably about 8 foot? Maybe longer? And then there is an area to hang up clothes to the right.

This room is right off the mudroom. I posted a picture last year of the closet we put in there. We have some free standing items in the room now, but plan to have a built in area for sewing and a benching the next 6 months. I probably should refer to it as a desk area. I wanted it to be multipurpose.

I really liked that curtain and new it was exactly what I had in mind. I worried a bit it may not look right with the rooster picture to the left. That is also a cruise picture and it was supposed to end up in the kitchen, but then I decided to hang it near the cupboards instead.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Such a great room. I wish I could move mine into a more conducive area, but the footprint just doesn’t allow for it.

I was at Dillards the other day & found a new sparkly jacket & sparkly tank top. I did something I never, ever do. I tried it on without looking at the price [emoji849]. Came out of the dressing room, Les says, buy that. I told him I hadn’t looked at the price. He laughed at me & said buy it anyway. Went back in to change & caught a peek at the price. Normally $350. On sale for $51!!! Score!!! Now I have to redo my suitcase [emoji849] Melody

Anita, Not sure if you know about this blogger, but instantly thought of you this morning and wanted to post this:

http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2017/11/thrifty-thursdaysuper-cute-slouchy-hat.html

I'll catch up reading later, Ladies. I'm spinning in circles trying to catch my tail these days. I retire November 30. Wishing everyone Happy Thanksgiving!