Zuiderdam- Did I make a boo boo?

wannagonow123

I don't think you really want to experience the transit from Deck 4 whether or not the lifeboats are in the way. Being that low and limiting yourself to that view is going to hamper what you can see. Personally I highly recommend being up high where you can move from side to side and aft to stern to get the best views of the various stages of the transit through the locks.

You'll be able to go out on the bow and they also open the small terraces at the front of the ship. I spent most of the transit on the deck 5 terrace, then rushed to the back to watch Amsterdam go through behind us. For the reverse transit I just sat in The Crow's Nest, going outside every now and then for another view. One nice thing about the in and out transit is you can have lunch while we're sitting in Lake Gatun. It is an amazing experience and Zuiderdam is a beautiful ship with a proud crew.

Your view will not be blocked by lifeboats from any veranda on deck 4 ... but like the other posters, I suggest you not stay on your veranda since when there you will miss what is going on in front and on the other side of the ship. When exiting the last lock of a set, go to the stern to see that view too.

Edited by jtl513

If you have never seen a ship in any locks -- get out and about.

The ship starts to line up between 5 - 5:30.

The actual entering the locks can happen anywhere between 6:30 - 7:30.

Krazy Kruizers is right.Watching the canal lights get closer as the sun starts to rise is a really WOW experience.

DAWN_zpslhtphwfr.jpg

The total trip does take a long time, so you have plenty of time to see the canal. There are three actual sets of locks so you will want to be up on the top to see how they work. The rest of the time you will be gently floating through the waterway, including a large lake, and will want to watch for wildlife or just enjoy the views in the tropics. While in the actual locks, go to Deck 3 to see how close you get...literally inches away. Have a great trip.

_DSC0426.jpg.8ab3c84178203c51a8d171f02a2f7cc7.jpg

We were on deck 4 but didn't stay on our veranda for the transit. The bow will be open on decks 4,5,6 to get the best views. Panama buns are available on the bow on 4 and on the Promenade deck. Walk all around the ship to see the locks, mules, tugs from all sides!

The Promenade Deck gives shade and you may want to enjoy that too! It's a good place to see the "mules" from and, IMHO, you get a better sense of the extreme slope that the mules have to climb than seeing it from up high.

So, no, you didn't make a mistake but you will want to move around, high, low, inside, outside, shade.... It'll be nice to have your air conditioned room close to your balcony vantage point for part of your day - maybe a room service lunch? Enjoy, m--

Simply put, you can't go wrong sailing aboard the Zuiderdam. She easily ties with the Zaandam as my favorite ships in the fleet. I'll be on the same sailing as you on March 7. I booked a G category. By looking at the deck plan, my only concern is possible noise from the galley one deck below.

Has anyone stayed in these G category cabins just a little aft of the midship stairwell ? Any excessive nighttime noise issues ? Any info on this is appreciated !

Edited by Myrtle Ave. Mayhem

Will be doing the partial Panama Canal in 13 days. I booked a veranda on deck 4. Are the lifeboats going to block our view during transit? We are in Aft section.

As others have said, don't limit yourself as to your viewpoint. Going through the locks takes hours and you can move all around the ship to get multiple views. Don't miss the Panama Buns.:):)

ZUIDERDAM IN THE LOCKS:

312canal_7981507fc4_o.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Our last trip through on the Zuiderdam, we watched from the small deck that is just in front of the fitness center. Access is through the hallway on the starboard side. However, you cannot hear the dialog very well from there, which is extremely informative.

I don't think you really want to experience the transit from Deck 4 whether or not the lifeboats are in the way. Being that low and limiting yourself to that view is going to hamper what you can see. Personally I highly recommend being up high where you can move from side to side and aft to stern to get the best views of the various stages of the transit through the locks.

I was on deck 4 Aft on the Zuiderdam Jan 25 to the Panama Canal #4166 and it was GREAT!

Will be doing the partial Panama Canal in 13 days. I booked a veranda on deck 4. Are the lifeboats going to block our view during transit? We are in Aft section.

Since you are doing a partial, remember that you will see the same things on your way out, so you can try different locations on the ship to get a different view.

Since you are doing a partial, remember that you will see the same things on your way out, so you can try different locations on the ship to get a different view.

only if you don't go on an excursion.....then you will rejoin the ship in Colon

Of course everyone has their own opinion on where best to locate for the trip thru the locks. But, in my case where I have limited ability to move around I find the aft facing "wake" cabins the best choice. From the comfort of your balcony you have an 180 degree view.:)

Since it is a long process, you will enjoy waking up and seeing it from your balcony and then moving around the ship for different views.

We did this itinerary on the Coral Princess last year and it was nice to wake up before dawn (I'm not a great sleeper anymore) and look out during the 'lining up' stage and then enjoy the slow entry into the locks and the maneuvering of the tugs to get the ship in place. There's also a lot to see on land - the colorful buses, the kids on their way to school, all kinds of different things. Something I didn't think about, but really appreciate now is the beautiful sunrise that morning ( our balcony was forward starboard). You might want to get some photos of that.

It's a great cruise and you will never forget the experience. Enjoy!

:D

I think you have a good plan because the outside railings are the busiest for the first lock, then things thin out a bit. That's when you can move around and find different vantage points for the next locks.

And if you start on your cabin balcony, your DH can wake up more slowly. I'm not a morning person but I'm glad that I got up before dawn to see the ships waiting their turns to enter the locks, watched the sun rise and the day unfold. There was time to rest later on :) Enjoy, m--