Directions to Dining Rooms

videolady

We are taking our first Princess Cruise on the Ruby in May, 2016. This may sound like a silly question, but when you leave your stateroom to go to the dining rooms for dinner, can you walk inside the ship to get there, or do you have to go outside on the deck to get to the dining rooms? Just asking in case there is inclement weather.

We are taking our first Princess Cruise on the Ruby in May, 2016. This may sound like a silly question, but when you leave your stateroom to go to the dining rooms for dinner, can you walk inside the ship to get there, or do you have to go outside on the deck to get to the dining rooms? Just asking in case there is inclement weather.

You can always get there from inside.

Look at the diagram of the ship on cruise line web site. I have been on ships that you could not walk down the hallway straight into the dinning room.

You had to go up one deck to catch the elevator to go down to the dinning room. If you are given a folded ship map when your arrive at the terminal, carry it with you.

Bob

Look at the diagram of the ship on cruise line web site. I have been on ships that you could not walk down the hallway straight into the dinning room.

You had to go up one deck to catch the elevator to go down to the dinning room. If you are given a folded ship map when your arrive at the terminal, carry it with you.

Bob

Thanks Bob.

Bob

Yes, it's necessary to go to deck 7 and then down at the aft to get to one of the dining rooms on many of the ships, but you don't have to go outside.

Generally it is best to walk along the deck you are on until you get to the elevators appropriate for the Restaurant you need to get to, e.g. midship or aft. Then descend to the appropriate deck level where the restaurant is located. It is not always possible to do these two moves the other way round as if you need to get to the restaurant which is on deck 6 aft there is no horizontal access along deck 6 as the galleys block the route. Many people get confused with this design layout.

The choice of which deck to walk along is more about whether you want to push past crowds on the promenade deck; deck 7, with everyone looking round the shops and bars or go outside and walk along in the weather. Best idea in my opinion, particularly if you are resident on the Lido deck is to walk down a deck level and walk through a convenient accommodation deck or if you are on Plaza get the elevator up to at least deck eight to walk along any convenient accommodation deck there to get to the Aft. The problem is only really if you get allocated the restaurant on deck 6 aft. The central restarants about the Atrium have no access complications. Staying indoors avoiding the weather is always possible.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Inside.

Lots of people explore the ship on the first day, including

finding where the dining room(s) is.

What everyone else has said is absolutely true: you never have to go outside to access any of the dining rooms or restaurants.

However, on most Princess ships, it is an option. This can be very convenient because the main interior "thoroughfares" on the ships can sometimes be extremely busy and crowded with passengers, especially just before or after a show. But, the majority of Princess' ships (with the exception of the newest, Royal and Regal Princess) have a covered exterior Promenade deck that runs the full length of the ship (and even circles the bow and stern). If the weather is nice, this can make for a lovely stroll and help avoid the crowds inside. We will often take a stroll on the Promenade after dinner when the weather is nice.

Just thought I'd add that information in the event you might find it helpful once aboard.

Happy cruising! :)

• 2 weeks later...
What everyone else has said is absolutely true: you never have to go outside to access any of the dining rooms or restaurants.

However, on most Princess ships, it is an option. This can be very convenient because the main interior "thoroughfares" on the ships can sometimes be extremely busy and crowded with passengers, especially just before or after a show. But, the majority of Princess' ships (with the exception of the newest, Royal and Regal Princess) have a covered exterior Promenade deck that runs the full length of the ship (and even circles the bow and stern). If the weather is nice, this can make for a lovely stroll and help avoid the crowds inside. We will often take a stroll on the Promenade after dinner when the weather is nice.

Just thought I'd add that information in the event you might find it helpful once aboard.

Thanks for the info. It has been very helpful to this novice cruiser! :)

We are taking our first Princess Cruise on the Ruby in May, 2016. This may sound like a silly question, but when you leave your stateroom to go to the dining rooms for dinner, can you walk inside the ship to get there, or do you have to go outside on the deck to get to the dining rooms?

To get to one of the three main dining rooms on the Regal from your cabin...

...to the Allegro Dining Room, walk to the aft elevators and and go to deck six. When you exit the elevator, you'll be at the entrance to the dining room.

...to either the Concerto (deck six) or Symphony (deck five) dining room, walk to the center elevators, take any one of the six elevators to the proper deck. You can exit the elevator and go left or right, then aft to the restaurant entrance.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I have three thoughts for you:

Thought one

Previously, I have downloaded the Ap "Shipmate for Princess." (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=shipmate.princess) (free at the Google play store) I played around with it. It had deck plans, pictures and info about the ports. You enter into it what ship you are going on. It has a nice count down clock on it and makes some fun noises. Princess may now how one of their programs ready that does the same but better. (it wasn't ready by the time we did our last cruise.) I am sure someone can chime in about that.

Thought two

The most fun way that we found to get to the know new ship was this last trip on the Grand. They had a picture scavenger hunt the first sea day. We did this along with having our (?) game card stamped at various locations. The fun part about the scavenger hunt was that my DH and I were running around like kids trying to find all the places/items on the list. We really found this helped us the rest of the week to know were things were. I also found it to be really fun and hadn't played any games with my DH like this in a long time ;) If you decide to do the picture scavenger hunt, think outside the box for some of the answers. We were the winners on this. Each participant got a nice Princess key chain flashlight.

Thought three

As others have said, just walk around and check out your surroundings. There is nothing like trial and error to help you figure out were you are going. It's ok that you don't know your way around. Only those that have been on the ship the previous week/s will be experts or those that work on the ship. Once you have been on one ship in a class, I think it might be easier the next time, as layout will likely be similar. Have fun and don't stress over being the newbie on the ship. Everyone started out that way.

Which cruise are you taking? Which dining room are you having dinner in? The best advice I can give you is before you get on the ship review deck plans on the web site, when you get on the ship do a walk about so you be accustomed to the different areas of the ship. We've been on the Ruby many times and it's easy to get around.

On the four different Princess ships (Star, Sapphire, Island, Golden) that we've been on, the MDRs are all accessed on the inside of the ship.

As to dining venues that you can access on the outside (at least on the ships we've been on), the poolside grill and pizzeria obviously are outside and you can get to the Horizon Court (the buffet) from the outside or from the inside.

On the four different Princess ships (Star' date=' Sapphire, Island, Golden) that we've been on, the MDRs are all accessed on the inside of the ship.

As to dining venues that you can access on the outside (at least on the ships we've been on), the poolside grill and pizzeria obviously are outside and you can get to the Horizon Court (the buffet) from the outside or from the inside.[/quote']

We love the grill.

AND

Grabbing a feed in the HC and taking it outside.