Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

When Carnival launched the comfort matters form, it appeared they were going to once a day room service.

And we were told no, you could order both if you like, but passengers were still coming back saying the stewards were telling them one or the other. This still is being reported. Other are claiming there's no form, or no change to service.

So we were told they would revise the form to include the verbiage BOTH to clear up the confusion. But we were told it would be a while because SO many forms were printed up.

So now the new form appears to have been printed. The word BOTH is missing, and it still says to choose the best time, and not TIMES. Again, the verbiage "select all that apply" is extremely vague.

So I believe "we" are still being steered toward once a day service.

To be honest, I always felt the multiple service trips from the cabin steward were a benefit to the cruise line by keeping the room suitable for an immediate turnover.

If the room is left uncleaned too long it will take even longer than it should to straighten it up before the other passengers come on. Which is probably why FTTF was created. Those rooms are ready first (after Platinum/Diamond/whomever else). I guess someone is being paid extra to have FTTF rooms ready early, since there apparently are fewer stewards to do that while sailing.

To be honest, I always felt the multiple service trips from the cabin steward were a benefit to the cruise line by keeping the room suitable for an immediate turnover.

If the room is left uncleaned too long it will take even longer than it should to straighten it up before the other passengers come on. Which is probably why FTTF was created. Those rooms are ready first (after Platinum/Diamond/whomever else). I guess someone is being paid extra to have FTTF rooms ready early, since there apparently are fewer stewards to do that while sailing.

Your post takes me back to my first cruise way way back in the 80's, where the rooms were converted from day rooms to night rooms daily.

Our cabin, spacious enough for the two of us, had two day couches along the walls, perpendicular to each other. Coming back after dinner, the backs were removed, the couches were pushed together to make a full/queen bed. Our night clothes were out and made into little creatures. All the day lights were off and the night lights were on. But we lost all that floor space due to the moving of the beds.

And then the next morning after breakfast, the beds were separated and put back into couches, and our floor space had returned. And yes, the rooms were still 185 square feet.

I agree on not stiffing the staff. If I was not here before I changed my mind..lol. All we can do if it truly changes....is deal, leave a message about it, stay with Carnival sometimes or go for good. I just hope it is not a trend for all lines...I don't think it will be.

Your post takes me back to my first cruise way way back in the 80's, where the rooms were converted from day rooms to night rooms daily.

Our cabin, spacious enough for the two of us, had two day couches along the walls, perpendicular to each other. Coming back after dinner, the backs were removed, the couches were pushed together to make a full/queen bed. Our night clothes were out and made into little creatures. All the day lights were off and the night lights were on. But we lost all that floor space due to the moving of the beds.

And then the next morning after breakfast, the beds were separated and put back into couches, and our floor space had returned. And yes, the rooms were still 185 square feet.

LOL...I had a version like that a couple of times in the 80's...sometimes something like a night bag with the nightgown..the creativity of it all.

never worried about a thing..there was no weird issue then..just was..but would not like that now...

Edited by sjn911

Since Podna sidestepped, maybe you will take a shot.

How would you feel or react if once a day service became the standard and your service charge remained constant or increased to $15 or $20 per day, per person?

Sorry, I was attending to other things. Podna can defend his points himself, does not need me to do it. But since you asked, I will respond, and then probably move on. I still feel your question is a lot of potentially negative what if's, but I will still answer.

If they changed service to once a day I would take it in stride, if I had to pay more for twice a day, I am not sure what I would do. Not because of the money per se, but more if I really wanted it.

I have strong feelings on tips that would not align with some posters here, but it will do no good to go off on that tangent. We all feel the way we feel and defend that and nobody (at least the great majority) won't be swayed by what you, Podna or I think about it. Carnival's suggested tips are less than their competitors, and with a couple of then by a significant portion.

I also have strong feeling that their staff is by far their best asset, and have had the opportunity to talk to senior management on this very subject and expressed my thoughts to them on this subject.

Edited by jimbo5544

Whiners, Complainers, Cry Babies, Negative people, Anti Carnival people just do everyone a huge favor and cruise on another line that suits you better and go post on those threads

If your even thinking this could be you well then you fit into the category

Spreads your wings and fly away.... Take your BS Drama with you

That's like saying Cruise Critic should just fold up and go away. The word "critic" means just that, criticize what you do not like what a certain cruise line is doing. I think the best thing for anyone to do who doesn't like reading nothing negative is simply don't read it and don't comment on it. Seems reasonable enough to me.

What scares me more about this whole thing is the overall cleanliness on embarkation day. If your steward has been given over 1/3 more rooms, the FTTF and the same time all rooms are available something has to give. I am really concerned as I dont want to see dust, smudges on glass doors, or dirt/hair in the bathroom from past guest. Im not saying this WILL happen but I would like to know where the stewards are getting that much extra time to thoroughly clean the extra rooms on day 1.

It's already happening! Last fall on the Triumph all of the drawers, closets, and both bath and cabin cabinets were filthy with dust and hairs and trash. As I unpack upon boarding, was forced to clean everything myself with a washcloth which I later showed to the housekeeper so he could see how dirty his rooms were. These are the areas that they cannot clean in occupied rooms, yet did not take the time to do before check in. Overworked or lazy?

It's already happening! Last fall on the Triumph all of the drawers, closets, and both bath and cabin cabinets were filthy with dust and hairs and trash. As I unpack upon boarding, was forced to clean everything myself with a washcloth which I later showed to the housekeeper so he could see how dirty his rooms were. These are the areas that they cannot clean in occupied rooms, yet did not take the time to do before check in. Overworked or lazy?

Really?

Whiners, Complainers, Cry Babies, Negative people, Anti Carnival people just do everyone a huge favor and cruise on another line that suits you better and go post on those threads

If your even thinking this could be you well then you fit into the category

Spreads your wings and fly away.... Take your BS Drama with you

Lmao well said LaCal

Lmao well said LaCal

LOL:p:rolleyes:

Actually, it wasn't well said at all.:cool:

However, the irony of your two posts in combination is quite amusing. So, thanks for the fun.;)

Edited by ShakyBeef

My money says understaffed. Blame the people in charge. Not the poor schmuck who is scrubbing bathrooms and cabins.

That's like saying Cruise Critic should just fold up and go away. The word "critic" means just that, criticize what you do not like what a certain cruise line is doing.

So by your logic, anyone posting positive reviews is wrong?

In the way that CC uses it the word, "critic" is synonymous with "reviewer". That includes both positive and negative reviews. Also, why do people have the chance to respond if that's not what the creators of this board intended? Shouldn't they have simply given the option to do a bad review which would then be locked into read only mode?

So by your logic, anyone posting positive reviews is wrong?

In the way that CC uses it the word, "critic" is synonymous with "reviewer". That includes both positive and negative reviews. Also, why do people have the chance to respond if that's not what the creators of this board intended? Shouldn't they have simply given the option to do a bad review which would then be locked into read only mode?

Negative or positive is not wrong. DUH! But to tell someone not to post negative or positive is wrong! DUH.

I said it before and I'll saw it again, the new CEO has a big hatchet and she's not just cutting fat, she cutting meat. I'm platinum and a shareholder, but I'm not married to Carnival. They keep up the cuts it's going start costing business. I have loyalty perks on 4 other lines and so do a lot of other frequent cruisers. IMO there are some poor business decisions being made.

Negative or positive is not wrong. DUH! But to tell someone not to post negative or positive is wrong! DUH.

Nice try at making it look as if I did not understand what you were saying by the childish use of the word duh in all caps, but that's not what you said.

The word "critic" means just that, criticize what you do not like what a certain cruise line is doing.
You mention nothing about positive posts being ok as well. Edited by Rudyard

Nice try at making it look as if I did not understand what you were saying by the childish use of the word duh in all caps, but that's not what you said.

You mention nothing about positive posts being ok as well.

If it's positive okay, if it's negative okay, it's still a critique DUH!

Really?

Yes, true story. I left out the part where I cleaned the hair out of the shower stall and began scrubbing the grime off the shower floor when I realized that this is ridiculous for me to clean my own room.

I blame the supervisors for not doing enough inspections. As a former employee of a 4-star hotel I have seen enough rooms to know there is a range of quality of work. We had terrific housekeepers and some who just skated by. Standard procedure is to wipe out each drawer in check-outs, and obviously this step was skipped.

I said it before and I'll saw it again, the new CEO has a big hatchet and she's not just cutting fat, she cutting meat. I'm platinum and a shareholder, but I'm not married to Carnival. They keep up the cuts it's going start costing business. I have loyalty perks on 4 other lines and so do a lot of other frequent cruisers. IMO there are some poor business decisions being made.

I'm interested to know what you consider "meat". So far none of the discussed "cutbacks" are ones I would consider carnivorous enough for me to turn vegetarian.

Any insights as to where my viewpoint may be myopic would be helpful for a better understanding.

Hachet person? Really. Care to elaborate? If anything, she is far more liberal than her predecessor. Not really sure how this ties to the subject, but I'm diamond and a stock holder and think just the opposite. I would be happy to discuss further.

Changes or "cutbacks" aren't a "Carnival only" thing in the mass market cruise lines right now. Lots of loyal cruisers of other lines (Royal, NCL, Disney, Celebrity) are complaining about policy changes and cutbacks. Changes are afoot in the industry right now.

The question is can you live with the changes that your line of choice is making? If not, then it's time to start looking at other lines that still retain those things that are important to you.

For me, Carnival is hitting the mark right now. So I have 2 more cruises this year booked with them. I have a (cheap) Royal cruise booked for February 2017 and will sandwich that one with either a longer Carnival or short Disney cruise.

I used to go to Disney World regularly - it was more about staying at a nice hotel, eating at good restaurants, having fun both in and out of the parks. They changed some of their policies, increased their prices and didn't introduce enough new stuff to interest me so I looked for a different type of vacation (which became cruising). If I start to feel the same about cruising, then I'll look elsewhere.

Until then, I'm happy specifying to my cabin steward that I only need once a day service and nothing extra but my parents need twice a day, plus ice and blankets. None of us need robes or extra hangers so they can be saved for someone else who does like those.

I heard her next step is to charge for any luggage beyond a carry on. This is the place to start rumors right?

Congratulations! Your joke made it into a so-called question on John Heald's fb page. The funniest part is all the fans ranting about how terrible cruise critic members are for starting such a rumor and how gullible people are for believing everything they read on cruise critic. :D