Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

Actually most of the people cruising in 2016 could not afford to cruise in 1986 and most of the limited cruise lines of that time did not want today's cruisers. They were seeking a more sophisticated moneyed crowd but when you load up the seaways with mega floating condos one must go way down market to attract sufficient customers.

Cruising in 1986 wasn't that expensive. About $1200 pp got you an ocean view room and included airfare.

And then full service on the ship. 5 course quality meals, boasting meals 8 times a day. Full fledged entertainment, and personalized service. The included list included just about everything, except cocktails and soda.

• 2 months later...

Just off the splendor, which is a test ship, I believe. We didn't receive a card. The steward asked us what we prefer and I said both. He did 2x a day with no attitude. The room wasn't that clean tho. Dust on shelves and glasses, stuff on the carpet. You could tell it wasn't vacuumed. But he didn't complain. He didn't ask if we wanted robes or extra pillows. We had robes in our room as usual.

When Carnival launched the comfort matters form, it appeared they were going to once a day room service.

And we were told no, you could order both if you like, but passengers were still coming back saying the stewards were telling them one or the other. This still is being reported. Other are claiming there's no form, or no change to service.

So we were told they would revise the form to include the verbiage BOTH to clear up the confusion. But we were told it would be a while because SO many forms were printed up.

So now the new form appears to have been printed. The word BOTH is missing, and it still says to choose the best time, and not TIMES. Again, the verbiage "select all that apply" is extremely vague.

So I believe "we" are still being steered toward once a day service.

Dang ... the horse is long dead - let the beatings cease.:rolleyes:

If you want twice a day - you can have twice a day. Last week on the Sunshine our steward happily cleaned in the AM and in the PM she brought towels and ice as we asked as well as an adorable towel animal.

Dang ... the horse is long dead - let the beatings cease.:rolleyes:

If you want twice a day - you can have twice a day. Last week on the Sunshine our steward happily cleaned in the AM and in the PM she brought towels and ice as we asked as well as an adorable towel animal.

Is Sunshine a trial ship? If not, it's irrelevant.

Once a day only, coming to a ship near you.

so what if it is :confused: sail carnival, don;t sail carnival. carnival doesn't seem to be hurting for passengers but that's what i think the whole problem is. people whine and cry thinking it will make a difference and when it doesn't.....because someone is standing behind them to take their place.....they get mad. rather funny. :D

so what if it is :confused: sail carnival, don;t sail carnival. carnival doesn't seem to be hurting for passengers but that's what i think the whole problem is. people whine and cry thinking it will make a difference and when it doesn't.....because someone is standing behind them to take their place.....they get mad. rather funny. :D

Or it could backfire on them. Sometimes you hit a home run, sometimes you chop air.

FWIW, on the Legend cruise May 16-24, 2016 in Alaska, the room steward informed us he would service the room twice a day. No cards to check. We asked for ice and the bucket was filled with ice twice a day. The fridge was stocked with mini-bar stuff, but we asked that it be cleared and it was cleared for our use that evening. We didn't use them, but there were 2 robes in the closet and 2 beach towels in the bathroom. There was a towel animal each night. The MDR had tablecloths each night.

My opinion, and it's only an opinion, is that there will only be once a day stateroom service within eighteen months.

It is the old "How do you boil a frog?" method. Excuse the graphic depictions and no frogs were harmed in this message. :) To boil a frog you can't drop it into boiling water. It will immediately jump out and hop away. To boil the frog you must put it into a pot of lukewarm water and then slowly raise the temperature until it is boiled.

That is what Carnival is doing now. They start with giving you the option and then wait for the initial reaction to subside and then they go to "once a day" as a trial on a ship or two and then move it out fleetwide. There will be complaints from the repeat cruisers but the vast majority of new cruisers won't care. Hotels only do once a day service so it will be similar.

Personally I feel strange about this. I have become accustomed to twice a day but I have to admit that there have been many mornings we have just found the steward in the hall and asked for clean towels and the ice bucket filled and then wait until evening for the full service.

Truthfully, though I like the idea of twice a day service, I wouldn't stop cruising if it was only once a day. As long as I was able to choose morning or night.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

On the Carnival Dream 5/15 sailing, our steward showed us the form which listed AM or PM but not both. I knew better and told him that we would need twice daily service. He said that would be fine with a smile and I tipped him $10. I expected some push back but he was very accommodating.

Maybe Carnival can take a page out of the Starbucks playbook (and their recent nerfing of the rewards program) and say that once-a-day room cleaning was "the most-requested change from our customers".

On the Carnival Dream 5/15 sailing, our steward showed us the form which listed AM or PM but not both. I knew better and told him that we would need twice daily service. He said that would be fine with a smile and I tipped him $10. I expected some push back but he was very accommodating.

I was on the same sailing and our room steward had the form with both....but we requested PM only with extra towels, robes and ice. When we requested PM he questioned us to make sure we didn't want both because he could do both and we insisted just PM was ok with us since there were 3 sea days and a Belize where we were staying on the ship and we didn't want to have to get out of the room so he could clean it. We had Sugeng and he was great. He always seemed to be around when we came back from the buffet with our hands full and opened the door for us and he kept my Carnival Cooler full of ice (without me requesting it) plus an ice bucket. He made sure we had enough towels to take 2 showers each a day and our room was spotless after he cleaned.

Just back from Carnival Splendor and we had the Comfort Matters form. It did not have a box to check both so I checked Morning and Turn down.

I thought the "Both" service was a bit spotty. Sometimes the bed was turned down, sometimes not. The towel animal showed up whenever it wanted, morning or evening. We did get our Fun Times every night, although a few times it was just left in the mailbox. The room was cleaned and the towels were changed daily.

I requested robes which I never got. I also wrote in Ice which WAS filled twice a day.

The little nit picky stuff did not make or break my cruise and our steward was very friendly and kept the room clean.

Just back from Carnival Splendor and we had the Comfort Matters form. It did not have a box to check both so I checked Morning and Turn down.

I thought the "Both" service was a bit spotty. Sometimes the bed was turned down, sometimes not. The towel animal showed up whenever it wanted, morning or evening. We did get our Fun Times every night, although a few times it was just left in the mailbox. The room was cleaned and the towels were changed daily.

I requested robes which I never got. I also wrote in Ice which WAS filled twice a day.

The little nit picky stuff did not make or break my cruise and our steward was very friendly and kept the room clean.

Did you reduce tips for this crappy service so that they get their act together by the time we sail.

I hope they have the new forms with BOTH when I sail Splendor in October. I don't want to have any push-back from the steward right from the start! We want both and are willing to tip extra cash for that to happen with no issues.