Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

Yes it is Mic , and going with friends or family makes it even more special ( Our daughter and SIL were married on a cruise ship and we also experienced the Chef's table with them ! ) . :) :D

Very nice and an extra special night for you all.:D

Dessert was a chocolate mousse with a milk chocolate shell .

DSC05090_zpszxjqhyhb.jpg

Extra yummy !

DSC05093_zpskqkkdiii.jpg

Also , a choice of gourmandises .

DSC05094-001_zpsaoqsftlp.jpg

I settled for an overdressed , out of focus , strawberry ( it must have been the wine ! ) .

DSC05095_zpsoujtbhc5.jpg

And lastly , the ladies were presented a rose

DSC05098_zpse4w6ziqx.jpg

And the gentlemen , a 50th anniversary Princess cook book .

DSC05443_zpscqkudi3d.jpg

She's doing quite well but still sore . The surgeon removed all of the staples today but still wants a yucky liquid and soft diet for a couple of weeks :p.

Good news then.

Perhaps a filet mignon that has been pureed, with a crab soup is required.:p

Returning to the port Costa Maya , and before the Chef's Table , we had met a couple of nice senior people while walking in the hall . They had many cruise experiences with Princess , which they shared with us , and asked us if we would care to see their suite . It's a Penthouse Suite S-4 , the Milano , and it's directly across from the Concierge Lounge .

IMG_8251_zpspmz7xuny.jpg

Our first stop was the Concierge Lounge and here's a description of it from Cruise Critic :

Princess Cruises

The Concierge Lounge

Lounge Name: The Concierge Lounge.

How You Qualify: Suite passengers.

Amenities: Located only on Royal Princess and Regal Princess, the small Concierge Lounge offers light snacks and beverages. The lounge also is used as a private disembarkation lounge for suite passengers.

Concierge Services: Full front desk services are available to concierge-level passengers, plus the concierge can help with shore excursion, specialty dining and Lotus spa reservations.

Open Hours: The Concierge Lounge is open 24 hours, but a concierge is only on duty from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m., noon to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. most days. (Hours vary on turnaround days.)

DSC04989%20Stitch-001_zpsflgm6b7b.jpg

This is the living area of their suite

DSC04994_zpsuog98b97.jpg

DSC04995_zpswhwnqdrk.jpg

The Bed room

The living area and the bed room both have access to a very liner balcony .

DSC04996_zpstgsdaqtg.jpg

And there is a toilet /vanity room which separated from the shower and bath room .

DSC04992_zps9mp5tqwl.jpg

Very nice indeed !! :) :D

It is very nice indeed, but I'm surprised it appears they still don't have any storage in the toilet/vanity part of the bathroom. That drove me crazy when we had a suite on the Caribbean Princess.

I'm still loving this review! I'm working on a Celebrity one right now, but it's slow going and I keep getting distracted by other people's great posts and that irritating thing called work!:rolleyes:

It is very nice indeed, but I'm surprised it appears they still don't have any storage in the toilet/vanity part of the bathroom. That drove me crazy when we had a suite on the Caribbean Princess.

I'm still loving this review! I'm working on a Celebrity one right now, but it's slow going and I keep getting distracted by other people's great posts and that irritating thing called work!:rolleyes:

I must give credit to my DW for the suite photos , so I'm not sure about the BR storage . We had hopes for the BR on the Regal , but it wasn't any better than the CB's . But the Celebrity S class does have a better storage system in the BR .

And best wishes on your thread Cindy , I'll be checking it out ! ;)

Super random question but did they say if that centerpiece was a Chihuly?

Nezmo is correct and wins the pillow chocolate prize ! ;) Here's the quote from the Cruise Critic review of the Regal Princess :

Chef's Table Lumiere (Allegro, Deck 6 ); $115 per person: The Chef's Table Lumiere is really an experience, rather than a venue, though the table space -- part of Allegro Dining Room -- is something to behold, with its crystal privacy "curtains of light" and incredible Murano glass table centerpiece. It includes a tour of the main galley, hosted by the maitre d' and executive chef, where you'll sample appetizers and partake in a Champagne toast. The dinner includes a specially created menu and wine pairing. Contact guest services to find out when the Chef's Table is available.

Nice room, very suite indeed.

We are off on our travels and will catch up on my return. Hope Pat continues to recover well, we will be back late May although I will try and check in when possible.:D

Thank you Mic . We hope that you , Rosie , and family , have a fantastic trip and safe travels . Cheers ! Joe :) and Pat :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Because we really didn't go into Costa Maya we're gonna reprise a previous visit which we made on the CB . This is for the folks who have never been or may be going soon .

Costa Maya is a small small fishing village and tourist area in Mexico , near Belize. It's main draw for many cruise ship visitors is the mall at the end of the pier or the beaches in the village.

IMG_1116-001_zpse5405dac.jpg

It's a long walk to the mall from the ship and there is a free tram ( for tips ) ride . Click on the small picture for video clip :

th_MVI_1127_zpst9e40aq4.mp4

We have dove there once before but chose to skip it this time. We were more interested in diving the Chinchorro Banks in the future and wanted to have lunch and investigate the prospects for future diving there .

IMG_1156-001_zps8c6f066f.jpg

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/divebancochinchorro.html

To reach the fishing village you had to walk thru the mall to the taxi stands and take a taxi or shuttle bus for $3.00 p.p. one way. You need a taxi or LONG walk to return . We had asked a couple of locals along the way for a good place to eat and settled on one. Here's the map from the shuttle .

DSC00565-001_zps3c182141.jpg

At stop #1 you may get an sales pitch for Senior Frog's . $25 for beach , booze and food . They have some poor reviews on Trip Advisor . Not our kind of place.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d2186457-Reviews-Senor_Frogs_Costa_Maya-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Notice the CB in the last photo .

We went to Gypsea Divers to find out about a trip . They said that it's about 2 hours , in a small boat , each way - to Chinchorro Banks . And that it's better to dive Cozumel - thus confirming our suspicions.

IMG_1143-001_zps292b8a86.jpg

A view of the Malecon , with the beach on the left.

IMG_1150-002_zpsde7bac2e.jpg

We walked to a second Dive Shop along this road and had many people trying to sell us trinkets and food . After the second dive shop agreed with the first , we decided to walk along a parallel street avoiding the street .vendors.

IMG_1157-001_zpsc0199e02.jpg

Street art on a building

IMG_1158-001_zps7009e66d.jpg

This club looked like a place for swingers . No , gracias !

IMG_1160-001_zps753406f8.jpg

Gulfweed on the beach

IMG_1201-001_zpsefdb6387.jpg

Lunch in Costa Maya

The restaurant that we decided to try was near the end of the village by the fisherman's pier. It's called Sulumar .

IMG_1170-002_zps8ced1bd2.jpg

Being warm we wanted some refreshing drinks

IMG_1171-002_zpsdd393bfe.jpg

My favorite is a Hibiscus tea called Jamacia pronounced Huh-macia . It's also called " Red Zinger " here in the U. S .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea

My wife likes Horchata which is a rice and almond water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horchata

With drinks ordered , it's was time to think about food

IMG_1172-001_zpsb8675247.jpg

Lunch was Chicken Fajitas

IMG_1183-001_zps29efb43a.jpg

and Shrimp Tacos

IMG_1181-001_zps4c3f5f98.jpg

with Guacamole and the beach view , the total was about $20 .

IMG_1180-001_zpsd1bb249b.jpg

The food was typical of the region , a lot like El Moro in Cozumel .