Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and commentary. Very enjoyable and took a little to catch up.

I am finally home from our journeying and had a fantastic trip.

I hope Pat is still recovering well and your cruise preparations are going to plan.

cheers Mic.:D

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and commentary. Very enjoyable and took a little to catch up.

I am finally home from our journeying and had a fantastic trip.

I hope Pat is still recovering well and your cruise preparations are going to plan.

cheers Mic.:D

Cheers Mic and Rosie and welcome back ! We hope that you had great cruises , and a great stay . Pat is doing very well but still cautious in her diet and we hope to receive full dietary and exercise clearance from the doctors next week .

:) :D

Cheers Mic and Rosie and welcome back ! We hope that you had great cruises , and a great stay . Pat is doing very well but still cautious in her diet and we hope to receive full dietary and exercise clearance from the doctors next week .

Great news about Pat.

We had a ball on our travels but we are glad to be home again and anticipate the arrival of the grand baby which behaved and stayed in for our return.:D

Joe and Pat, thank you for yet another great review! Now I finally understand your title! I will be back to read about what Princess it was you sailed on, was she Regal or Re al? :confused: Inquiring minds want to know!

Pat, glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope that dietary and exercise full clearance comes through for you.

Barry and I are now in full blown cruise mode, getting ready for our cruise on Freedom Of The Seas next week! It has been a little over a year since our last sailing, so we are pretty excited to be sailing again! :cool: I'm sure you are just as excited about your upcoming trip as well.

Great news about Pat.

We had a ball on our travels but we are glad to be home again and anticipate the arrival of the grand baby which behaved and stayed in for our return.:D

Welcome back, Mic and Rosie! Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation. Congratulations on your soon to be born grand baby. Very considerate of that baby to wait for you to return from your trio before deciding to make an appearance. :D

Welcome back, Mic and Rosie! Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation. Congratulations on your soon to be born grand baby. Very considerate of that baby to wait for you to return from your trio before deciding to make an appearance. :D

Cheers, and yes, the baby has behaved admirably by staying in.

I said that it can come out and say hi and the baby started moving. I think it is very close.

Great news about Pat.

It's so nice to hear that things went well with the trip and travels . ;)

We've had a busy and enjoyable weekend with our very active grandsons - but , we are looking forward to some quite time and a day off ! :cool:

Pat and I sincerly hope and pray that all will go well with the baby , parents and new grandparents . :) :D

It's so nice to hear that things went well with the trip and travels . ;)

We've had a busy and enjoyable weekend with our very active grandsons - but , we are looking forward to some quite time and a day off ! :cool:

Pat and I sincerly hope and pray that all will go well with the baby , parents and new grandparents . :) :D

Thanks, it is due today so anytime now. I can't wait (now that we are home).:D

Joe and Pat, thank you for yet another great review! Now I finally understand your title! I will be back to read about what Princess it was you sailed on, was she Regal or Re al? Inquiring minds want to know!

Pat, glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope that dietary and exercise full clearance comes through for you.

Barry and I are now in full blown cruise mode, getting ready for our cruise on Freedom Of The Seas next week! It has been a little over a year since our last sailing, so we are pretty excited to be sailing again! :cool: I'm sure you are just as excited about your upcoming trip as well.

Thanks Nancy for hanging in there to the end since I write at dial -up speed ! :rolleyes: We will try to get some final observations together before you sail !

WooHooWedding_zpsazw8lg1d.jpg

Bon Voyage , Nancy and Barry !!!

Thanks, it is due today so anytime now. I can't wait (now that we are home).:D

We're so happy that you made it home in time . :) :D

Our babies were all born when they felt like it !! 3 weeks early , then 3 weeks late , and finally - right on time .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Thanks Nancy for hanging in there to the end since I write at dial -up speed ! :rolleyes: We will try to get some final observations together before you sail !

WooHooWedding_zpsazw8lg1d.jpg

Bon Voyage , Nancy and Barry !!!

Thanks, Joe, for the Bon Voyage wishes. Our serious packing starts tomorrow. Barry and I hope you have a wonderful trip as well, since you leave before we get home. I checked for your Eclipse itinerary on Cruise TT. It looks like you have a really intriguing itinerary, so if there is a trip report after you get home, I'll be back to follow along. :D

I sure hope there will be a trip report!:)

Thank you Jackie , we hope so also . :cool:

But after last years cancelled TA on the CB ( with Mic and Rosie ) , and Patty's injuries - we're taking nothing for granted and trying to guard our health ! ;)

Because you took the same cruise last year , we would value some help and answers from you !

What were your high and low points ashore ?

Is there any do not miss things ashore ?

Did the Eclipse have a Russian folk dance company on the ship ?

And what would you do differently if you went again ?

Thank you Jackie for following along and your help . :) :D

Hopefully this will post, it keeps telling me my message is too short!!!

Thank you Jackie , we hope so also . :cool:

Because you took the same cruise last year , we would value some help and answers from you !

What were your high and low points ashore ?

Without doubt St Petersburg, using SPB tours, but you are familiar with St Pete.

Is there any do not miss things ashore ?

Stockholm

Vassa museum. We took the Ho- Ho bus, but there is also a boat which goes directly from the ship, but we didn't find the jetty that it went from.

Copenhagen.

This time we took a canal tour, which gave us an overview of the city and the Little Mermaid from the water. A very pleasant journey, except that my phone rang out of storage, but I did have my camera with me!

We ate lunch at a canal side cafe and paid for both the canal ride and the lunch with C.C as we only had € & $ with us.

Many people made an evening visit to the Tivioli gardens, but we had been in the past. I'm sure your grandson would enjoy the 'funfair rides' though.

Brugge

If you have never been before, go into the central square. Very impressive. This time we went to Blankenberg, but I found it cold ( on the North Sea)

We took a bus from the ship, into Blankenberg. Some passengers were then taking the train into Brugge, but it felt too rushed to me, as we sailed early - 3.30, I think.

Tallin

I loved this town. Again we took the shuttle bus, because I felt I couldn't walk far, but many people walked into the town, through the archway, created by the towers. We wandered the medieval streets, until the heavens opened, so we sheltered in a church, where we saw an artist renovating Russian art, which had recently been found in Germany. The rain obviously wasn't going to stop, so we sheltered in a Taverna!

Warnmunde

We wandered around here in the morning. We had planned to go to Rostock (University town) but I read on the information, provided by the ship's that once off the train, you had to take a bus into the centre. Then we decided to take a bus into Rostock from the port, which left at 1p.m. However, the heavens opened, so we returned to the ship for lunch and then spent the afternoon drying out.

Did the Eclipse have a Russian folk dance company on the ship ?

Yes, but only 1 show for both sittings, at 10.30pm. We didn't go as we had been to theatre show in 2002.

And what would you do differently if you went again ?

Probably use SPB tours to take us to Berlin. I had read numerous accounts of how far it was, how little time you had there etc, etc, but we spoke to a couple on our St Pete tour, who had taken the SPB tour and they were very impressed. Maybe the negative reviews were from people who had been on large tour buses, who were impeded by traffic.

Thank you Jackie for following along and your help . :) :D

Edited by upwarduk

Re reading your first question:

St Pete was the highlight.

The weather during the first week was a disappointment- cold and WET!

Hope you fare better!

Thank you Jackie . SPB was also our highlight when we first cruised the Baltic in September 2006 . We do have a mix of DIY and private guides for a portion of our planned visit , but it will be a first for us to visit by cruise ship at the Marine Facade . They have a nice video here :

Hopefully this will post, it keeps telling me my message is too short!!!

Thanks Jackie , it posted fine ;) We have the same problem when working within the quote brackets . Thank you for the excellent advice , and we did book Berlin with SPB tours ! While there hasn't been much tour splitting on our thread , we did book with some others in Copenhagen and the post cruise tour to Windsor Castle , Stonehenge and a ride into our respective hotels in London . :) :D

And so was the Regal Princess befitting of it's royal title

Regal - adjective

1. of or relating to a king; royal:

the regal power.

2. befitting or resembling a king.

3. stately; splendid.

661b3ef9-6376-4fa9-8fce-5edc091b5260_zpse2benn37.jpg

or merely a commoner with no real status or class , like a real stinker ?

52142020-efae-4a9d-8c27-d63640518417_zpsgwtz2lfh.jpg

We considered her over all appearance to be quite Regal

36c7ea53-fe59-4d89-b395-39a223f75ac9_zpso4zpd2fb.jpg

And the atrium definitely has the WOW factor !

IMG_827420Stitch-001_zpsl7bwkxow.jpg

As do the dining areas .

IMG_7184-001_zpsonvh1icu.jpg

IMG_7242_zpsl3kv1ide.jpg

Just loved the review you did. I have booked the Regal for Feb 2018 for a 14 day Caribbean cruise and am really looking forward to it now more so after reading and looking at your pictures.

Again, a great review.

Chez

And so was the Regal Princess befitting of it's royal title

Regal - adjective

1. of or relating to a king; royal:

the regal power.

2. befitting or resembling a king.

3. stately; splendid.

661b3ef9-6376-4fa9-8fce-5edc091b5260_zpse2benn37.jpg

or merely a commoner with no real status or class , like a real stinker ?

52142020-efae-4a9d-8c27-d63640518417_zpsgwtz2lfh.jpg

Or could she be a ship that wears many hats? :confused: :D

Or could she be a ship that wears many hats? :confused: :D

I love it, perhaps a Reggae hat complete with dreadlocks or a sombrero would be more fitting in the Caribbean.;)

Edited by MicCanberra

I love it, perhaps a Reggae hat complete with dreadlocks or a sombrero would be more fitting in the Caribbean.;)

Sombrero ? Si senor ! But only in Mexico !

16914a1e-136a-4ec5-a343-e2c0b1697b64_zpse0dvziwl.jpg

And yes - size matters . It's usually determined by the amount of Tequila consumed !

senorfrogs1_zpslahk8mh5.jpg

And no visit to Mexico for me would be complete without hearing ABBA's White Sombrero .

Just loved the review you did. I have booked the Regal for Feb 2018 for a 14 day Caribbean cruise and am really looking forward to it now more so after reading and looking at your pictures.

Again, a great review.

Chez

Thank you Chez . We don't usually cruise in February as it is peak season , but the weather is usually very nice , a little cool and dry . :cool: