Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

Installment # 3

While waiting fo the food to come , I took the camera for a walk . Here's the fisherman's pier .

IMG_1166-001_zps1b8377f6.jpg

Swing under the mangrove. I guess swinging is popular in this area.

IMG_1167-001_zpsb2230b70.jpg

Due to strong backlighting , I put the flash on in this picture so we can see the swing better .

IMG_1177-002_zpsd8a8a982.jpg

Suddenly the quite calm of our house Techno music was destroyed by an invasive species : A Segway invasion !!

Click on the small photo for a video clip

th_MVI_1179_zpstzfjwnk0.mp4

How many Segway riders can you spot in this photo ?

IMG_1178-001_zpsf82d1e7a.jpg

After business ( feeding the animal in my stomach and E-mail with the WiFi ) we moved on to pleasure - A Pina Colada for the Mrs. and a Margarita for me . I wish I could stay that we enjoyed the drinks as much as we enjoyed lunch . The Margarita was a strange color - like Prestone antifreeze . It was VERY sweet and lacked the taste of lime or booze . The Pina Colada was like ice cream ( including chocolate syrup ) and again , lacking kick . It may be better to pick up a small bottle of Rum to add to the previous drinks or , like the locals , drink Sol. This is NOT my photo . It's from the internet.

sulumar_zpscc5ab5fa.jpg

We would recommend Sulumar - but not for the mixed drinks.

LOL a segway invasion! Now there's something you don't run into every day... Looks like they had a seaweed invasion there as well. I saw that in Tulum on my second trip and couldn't believe how much of it could amass on a daily basis!

I love that swing!! And that fancy bird in the background. :)

It's 31 degrees here today. Spring seems to be buffering at the moment...

LOL a segway invasion! Now there's something you don't run into every day... Looks like they had a seaweed invasion there as well. I saw that in Tulum on my second trip and couldn't believe how much of it could amass on a daily basis!

I love that swing!! And that fancy bird in the background. :)

It's 31 degrees here today. Spring seems to be buffering at the moment...

The seaweed is Sargassum and we see it every year in the warm months when those photos were taken . Here's a wikipedia article about it :

Sargassum crisis in the Caribbean Sea[edit]

In the summer of 2015, large quantities of different species of Sargassum accumulated along the shores of many of the countries bathed by the Caribbean Sea. Some of the affected islands and regions include the Caribbean coast of Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Barbados and Tobago[12] The aquatic plant washes ashore, piles up on beaches, and decays, often causing a foul odor. The affected countries and territories are discussing causes of the outbreak, potential solutions, and the negative affects on tourism.[13] Researchers say that the Sargassum outbreak started in 2011, but it has become worse over the years. There are several factors that could explain the proliferation of Sargassum in the area in recent years. These include the rise of sea temperature and the change of sea currents due to climate change. Also, nutriments from agricultural fertilizers and wastewater from the cities, that end up in the sea, could also make the algae bloom.[12]

We think that cold weather is nice to visit , but we don't want to live there !! :D :)

Returning from our CB review of Costa Maya past and to our current review of the Regal , our narrative continues . ;)

After our suite visit and lunch , we took a nap before our Chef's Table dinner later that evening . After waking we found the Carnival ship had left port and that the sunny skies of the morning had changed significantly .

b33e7b4f-df29-45de-8ac8-9ba3d367865f_zpsdlqatswv.jpg

IMG_812420Stitch-001_zpsbaxwzckg.jpg

And with the Carnival Valor gone and the light at my back I could now get some clear shots of the Regal from the pier !

IMG_8073-001_zpswug9ja78.jpg

A Regal flyover

IMG_8071_zpsyykspzvo.jpg

Stormy weather !

IMG_8057_zpsvp3egyj9.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

It looks like rain

IMG_8044_zps3inj8svx.jpg

IMG_8036_zps5f4fezts.jpg

From our balcony , the Star was preparing to leave

IMG_809920Stitch-002_zpssq31fl8o.jpg

Here's a video clip of the Star in Costa Maya :

On the Star's PA system announcements were made for about 45 minutes trying to locate 3 missing passengers . After they finally sauntered up the pier , the ship's hatch was closed and they prepared to leave .

The NCL Star sails away from Costa Maya :

This left us with an unobstructed view of the rain in the distance

DSC0502420Stitch-001_zpsgwgzalo5.jpg

We didn't see this when the Carnival ship was in port , but as we found out later , it's a zip line and water slide park that's only 5 months old , Maya-Lost Mayan Kingdom .

DSC04164_zps9vyd73x0.jpg

And with my wife's camera , we can see it better .

DSC04165-001_zps6m978hri.jpg

The rain came just before sail away :

Just after this video was taken , we headed down to this Chef's table . Next stop : Cozumel - one of our favorite ports !

After the Chef's Table dinner we returned to our cabin and found the Patter for the next day's stop in Cozumel .

DSC05445_zpsmxkwz6bh.jpg

DSC05447_zps4olk14cl.jpg

DSC05448_zpsxe1ybg8k.jpg

DSC05446_zpsrf2hafls.jpg

We were up early for a grab and go breakfast and although disappointed by missing Grand Cayman , we were thrilled that Princess had added 3 hours to our stay in Cozumel .

DSC05101_zpss1gst0od.jpg

We were excited ! We had our Mexican flag flying and our destination was in sight !!

IMG_8183_zpsqcjcdowv.jpg

Grand Cayman is one of our favorite diving and snorkeling places and my DW hasn't be cleared to SCUBA since her surgeries , but she could snorkel and that was our plan . So we packed our gear and underwater camera after dinner .

f095b408-6ee8-40c5-9825-26075b4ad56a_zpsxtdkx2mr.jpg

Joe, do you recall which dive shop in Grand Cayman this was? I noticed the photo while skimmimg through the review trying to figure out where I left off. Seems like the "last unread post" feature doesn't always work so well. Maybe it would work better if I showed up here more often - especially since this is a ship I really want to sail on! I'm wondering about the dive shop because it looks a bit like the one I use in GC. :confused:

All in good time Nancy , and progress sometimes comes slowly , nevertheless it's great that you're out ! But Herman without the Hermits - really ? :confused:

Herman was awesome! He does have his own group of "hermits" who tour with him now. Not the original Hermits, but they get the job done. What I don't get is one of the original Hermits who tours without Herman! :eek:

That Mayan pyramid with all the water slides looks huge! I wonder if they have an elevator in there. My knees are doing a lot better these days, but they still don't love stairs very much and I don't know if I have enouugh time to get them ready for that before our Oasis cruise in November.

Joe, do you recall which dive shop in Grand Cayman this was? I noticed the photo while skimmimg through the review trying to figure out where I left off. Seems like the "last unread post" feature doesn't always work so well. Maybe it would work better if I showed up here more often - especially since this is a ship I really want to sail on! I'm wondering about the dive shop because it looks a bit like the one I use in GC. :confused:

Yeah Nancy - It was Lobster Pot and we like Deep Blue Divers but Wall to Wall also uses this pier .

lobster-pot-map_zpszlkutwcz.jpg

Herman was awesome! He does have his own group of "hermits" who tour with him now. Not the original Hermits, but they get the job done. What I don't get is one of the original Hermits who tours without Herman!

Peter Noone was definitely the focal point - and not the hermits ! It's reminds me of the comedy sketch and the Pip's . They sang backup and danced behind an empty microphone - where Gladys should have been !

That Mayan pyramid with all the water slides looks huge! I wonder if they have an elevator in there. My knees are doing a lot better these days, but they still don't love stairs very much and I don't know if I have enouugh time to get them ready for that before our Oasis cruise in November.

We don't know about the slides , but we suspect stairs and no elevator , like Typhoon Lagoon . If I was there with the grandsons , I'd do it , but I wouldn't recommend it for Pat . You may just want to wait and see , and it wasn't our first choice anyway . If we had it to do over , we would have tried snorkeling the reefs pictured . :) :D

cc2325c4-cd51-417b-bb79-11617d4d949c_zpsrubodcya.jpg

Yeah Nancy - It was Lobster Pot and we like Deep Blue Divers but Wall to Wall also uses this pier .

Thanks, Joe. Not my dive shop. Guess all those docks look pretty much alike. I used Divers Down, between Casanovas and Rackhams, mostly because they had a branch located in the resort we were staying in.

lobster-pot-map_zpszlkutwcz.jpg

Peter Noone was definitely the focal point - and not the hermits ! It's reminds me of the comedy sketch and the Pip's . They sang backup and danced behind an empty microphone - where Gladys should have been !

I

The Pips without Gladys Knight were hysterical!

We don't know about the slides , but we suspect stairs and no elevator , like Typhoon Lagoon . If I was there with the grandsons , I'd do it , but I wouldn't recommend it for Pat . You may just want to wait and see , and it wasn't our first choice anyway . If we had it to do over , we would have tried snorkeling the reefs pictured . :) :D

I know, I'm dreaming thinking there might be an elevator! We did snorkel on one of the reefs in Costa Maya on our only visit there. Unfortunately, a tropical storm had passed through the area a day or so before our visit so the visibility still was not very good and a lot of the Usual marine life residents were noticably absent. I'm not sure yet what we will do when we stop there in November on the Oasis.

cc2325c4-cd51-417b-bb79-11617d4d949c_zpsrubodcya.jpg

My replies in purple.

What a great review with amazing photos! I'll be sailing on the Regal in January 2017. Last sailing on Princess line was probably in the 90's so very excited to try them again.

Usually sail RCCL where I will be diamond after my November cruise.

Well thank you very much and the Love Boat spirit is alive and well on the Regal . And it sounds like a couple of milestone cruise for you this year , congratulations ! :) :D

Here's a map on Puerta Maya , in Cozumel .

PuertaMayamapbig_zpsz08jsf4x.jpg

The CB was also next to us

DSC05103_zpsspzjei77.jpg

A stitch of the Regal

DSC0510420Stitch-001_zpswzqcu547.jpg

Another RCI ship on the horizon

DSC05107_zps1m6hwgr4.jpg

The Regal and the CB - the royals were in town !

DSC05108%20Stitch-001_zpsn4ivcbwa.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

As you leave your cruise ship as a passenger to enter Cozumel you must walk thru a long corridor of stores before exiting - unless you are a crew member ! . Their entrance /exit is on the right in this photo .

DSC05111-001_zpsvilq7iqq.jpg

A new wrinkle had been added this trip with the inclusion of a Mexican service animal . You didn't bring drugs or food did you ?

DSC05111_zpswx1zbtfk.jpg

A couple of photos of the Princesses

DSC0511320Stitch-001_zpsmiebprtu.jpg

On the right are ferry boats which will take you to the mainland

DSC0511520Stitch-001_zpshcdzt1fl.jpg

One of our favorite , useful souvenirs from Cozumel is this waterproof card that has a map on one side ( Puerta Maya is near the Paradise Reef ) .

fca4f939-b487-490b-a545-b3267ac7aa0a_zpsjbt3paa0.png

On the reverse side is a photo guide which shows some of the sea life underwater .

eff5b8b5-8950-41e6-923e-02d8aaf5e88d_zpsngxetjyb.png

Joe & Pat

Your next ship is on her way :

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2345634

We were thrilled on Sunday to see both the Eclipse in Miami ,

DSC05511_zpsqzsop82q.jpg

and the Regal in Ft. Lauderdale , leaving port for their respective Transatlantic crossings to Southamption , at the same time .

DSC05502_zps5jxbfms1.jpg

And of coures - we wished that we were on them but we're looking forward the Baltic ! :) :D

Diving is our favorite thing to do in Cozumel and so we grabbed a cab to the pick up point for our dive boat - The Hotel Barracuda .

P1000320-001_zps0433b38e.jpg

DSC00629-001_zps56792f4b.jpg

DSC00634-001_zpsd82f72f8.jpg

The arch in the previous photo had been knocked down by a dive boat the day before we had arrived . With a cold front and a North or West wind , like the day before , Cozumel can not be used for diving . On this day there were 3 more cruise ships , these in the downtown area .

DSC05119_zpskpu2ehdy.jpg

It was the NCL Star and the huge Getaway

DSC05120_zpshrrfpnjz.jpg

Pat wasn't allowed to dive after her surgery and , as you can see , it was COLD !

DSC05123_zps0win5xc1.jpg

I just returned from the Regal, but it will take me a few months (probably) to go through all my photos and get them edited.

She was a beautiful ship, and your review helped me get excited about the trip.

I went diving (first time in four years) in Cozumel and it was fabulous. At least 100 ft. visibility, and we saw so many interesting fish. My biggest thrill was seeing a spotted eagle ray with two remoras attached to it.