Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

Ahhhh those blues...my favorite sight! Gorgeous!!

We just love the color and clarity of the water there . Here's a couple of high angle bonus shots .

Flying to Cancun from Cozumel , the hotel zone

P1000454_zps5db524c3.jpg

The port from the CB

IMG_0689Stitch_zps693436d5.jpg

IMG_0701-002_zps36776434.jpg

Brunch from the Prima Restaurant

P1000388_zps1f3e2f0d.jpg

P1000384_zpse11aa7d9.jpg

Is anyone hungry ? We always are after diving in Cozumel , and after meeting our dive widows , we headed to one of our favorite restaurants - El Moro .

DSC00320-001_zps0a61dd2d.jpg

The restaurant is far from the cruise ships in terms of distance and philosophy as it can be , and that's how we like it ! The menu and food is quite basic , authentic and reasonable here .

P1030907-003_zps753392be.jpg

Pat's Chicken kabob

DSC05142_zpseib6kcwq.jpg

And my breaded conch

DSC05140_zpsgyryk5zw.jpg

The decor is VERY ORANGE , and view is like nothing that you will find on the cruise ship .

DSC05138_zps4meuofxu.jpg

But the people here treat us better than family and the Pina Coladas and Margaritas are as good as it gets !

DSC05143_zpszp6p14gt.jpg

Next time : Back to the ship .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Thank you for the dive shop info! I will definitely look into Dive Paradise once I start my actual planning for Oasis trip. I am holding off on that at least until after we get back from our Freedom cruise because I have enough to keep me busy for now.

I hope Pat's appointment on Thursday goes well. Pat, I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

If you choose to use DP , we download their dive info sheet and fill it out before we go .

http://www.diveparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DiversInformationSheet.pdf

Their main shop is about a block north of the pick up point and we give them the sheet , C-card and payment before we go . And if you want to request Matu or a fast boat , we E-mail the request before we go . :) :D

After reboarding the Regal it was time for a last look at port

DSC05148_zpsjxb0ahwl.jpg

The Carnival Dream had slid in between us and the CB after we had left

DSC05146_zps7xp3stox.jpg

But the CB was the first to back out and leave

DSC05150_zpsptfac0w4.jpg

DSC05151_zpsjvxv3fws.jpg

There are many common grips about the Regal's design , no promenade , no central stairs and small balconies are perhaps the most common , but can I add a new one ? I miss a forward observation / photographic vantage point like the ones on the CB .

Red arrow - on top of the bridge .

Blue arrow - the bow access .

8eab3b9c-6e21-4439-b0ae-34560bf9a00f_zpsyrciszxm.jpg

Hello Goodbye

And here's a bow stitch shot from the CB as I caught the walkers both coming and going .

5d0e91b3-16e3-4a85-a00c-6aa005b14968_zpsuxkikzzb.jpg

Is anyone hungry ? We always are after diving in Cozumel , and after meeting our dive widows , we headed to one of our favorite restaurants - El Moro .

The restaurant is far from the cruise ships in terms of distance and philosophy as it can be , and that's how we like it ! The menu and food is quite basic , authentic and reasonable here .

Your pictures remind me a lot of the places we went on a recent food tour in Cozumel...small, authentic, family owned, and definitely not full of tourists! That's just the way we like it too...I think El Moro just got added to my "to do" list for the next time we're in Cozumel.:)

Your pictures remind me a lot of the places we went on a recent food tour in Cozumel...small, authentic, family owned, and definitely not full of tourists! That's just the way we like it too...I think El Moro just got added to my "to do" list for the next time we're in Cozumel.:)

It's rated in the top 10 on Tripadvisor :

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g150809-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Eating there shows what Cozumel is really like when the cruise ships are gone . And while the Carlos and Charlies crowd may not be attracted to it , we enjoy the more laid back vibe . :) :D

And if you are in the mood for something exotic , ask for the Mayan Coffee ( it's not on the menu ) . It's a drink using Xtabentun liquor , Kahlua and vanilla ice cream . It's also fire show and a story of how it was created and you can see the video of Rey making it here :

We hate to say goodbye to Cozumel , but it was time to push back and head out .

IMG_8194_zpszzv1dlgo.jpg

The Regal is the largest ship that we've been on @ 141,000 tons , but the megaship Allure of the Seas is a whopping 225,000 tons !!

IMG_8193-001_zps6rl2kfvd.jpg

As you can see , it dwarfs the Dream .

IMG_8197_zpsjpslv4a3.jpg

The NCL Getaway is also larger than the Regal at almost 146,000 tons . The bright orange buildings on the right are the Hotel Barracuda and the Mega supermarket .

IMG_8200_zpscnj6mdjn.jpg

There were 8 cruise ships in port that day and the Costa had to use tenders to bring it's passengers to the Ferry port downtown .

IMG_8203_zps9odlhxkx.jpg

Back at sea , and waiting for the sunset .

DSC05154_zps9xlwikxj.jpg

If you choose to use DP , we download their dive info sheet and fill it out before we go .

http://www.diveparadise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DiversInformationSheet.pdf

Their main shop is about a block north of the pick up point and we give them the sheet , C-card and payment before we go . And if you want to request Matu or a fast boat , we E-mail the request before we go . :) :D

Thanks for the additional info, Joe! I have everything saved until after our Freedom cruise so I will be able to find it whenI am ready to make more definite plans.

And one makes a great burger that both visitors and locals enjoy .

PICT0226_zpsb15eac24.jpg

This looks like a place I might enjoy! I was wondering, though, about the diner on the right. :confused: I mean the short, furry one. Tourist? Or local? :D

Thanks for the additional info, Joe! I have everything saved until after our Freedom cruise so I will be able to find it whenI am ready to make more definite plans.

This looks like a place I might enjoy! I was wondering, though, about the diner on the right. :confused: I mean the short, furry one. Tourist? Or local? :D

The blue eyes made me think tourist , but Mezcalito's is on the other side of Cozumel - a long way from the cruise port ! :) :D

Mezcalitos_zpsicqn9cyk.jpg

The blue eyes made me think tourist , but Mezcalito's is on the other side of Cozumel - a long way from the cruise port ! :) :D

Mezcalitos_zpsicqn9cyk.jpg

Heading over to the east side of the island is our favorite thing to do in Cozumel! Do you recommend Mezcalito's over there, or is there another restaurant/bar you prefer? I'm trying to make a good list of options!:D

We'll be there the beginning of December, and even though we'll be one of only 4 ships, those ships account for more than 15,000 passengers so I think our best bet is to get out of the ship zone as fast as possible!:D

Heading over to the east side of the island is our favorite thing to do in Cozumel! Do you recommend Mezcalito's over there, or is there another restaurant/bar you prefer? I'm trying to make a good list of options!:D

We'll be there the beginning of December, and even though we'll be one of only 4 ships, those ships account for more than 15,000 passengers so I think our best bet is to get out of the ship zone as fast as possible!:D

We like Mezcalito's for the half - pound burger and vibe . It's in the North where the transversal curves South on the East coast . Further South is Coconuts , which has the best view with some elevation . But our daughters were a bit embarrassed when we took them , so we don't usually stop there . Farthest South is the Freedom in Paradise Bar and Restaurant where we may pickup a Cerveza .

P1030999_zpsc687b5c1.jpg

Back in the city , we like Rock and Java if we want a nice salad or dessert , or a burger without the drive . And for dinner a nice romantic spot is Kondesa which is only open after 5 pm . It's behind Punta Langosta and is a place to try Lion fish in the Kondesa Kakes Here's their menu :

109296a4-08d8-4ac9-b07c-73a4ff9517b6_zps4deb3681.jpg

Love all your photos.

Thank you , we're glad that you like them ! ;)

Always love looking at your wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them.....

Bob

We're happy to share them Bob . We hope that you and Holli are well , and it looks like you have some great cruises on the horizon !! :) :D

It was a formal night on the Regal but we chose to eat a quite buffet dinner instead and catch the sunset . We've seen some nice ones from the island :

P1000305_zps2a6083e3.jpg

7d659306-8529-40f9-85ed-db5ed8161621_zps7dbb030a-1.jpg

And this evening's offering from the Regal was no exception .

DSC04169_zps9dqtvjum.jpg

But I think that my favorite one from this location was on the CB .

IMG_0713-001_zps4d5c4537.jpg

IMG_0720-001_zps28555fe0.jpg

IMG_0734-001_zps7837f49c.jpg

And a video clip of the same sunset .

So, I guess the cat is a local. :D

Those sunset pictures are beautiful! :cool: Then again, your pictures are always beautiful. I'm so glad you are sharing them with us.

That was our guess too , and well educated since we heard no trace of an accent ! :) I'm really am glad that you like them , in fact . it warms the cockles of my heart !! :cool:

When the sun goes down , and the clouds all frown ...

IMG_8212_zps1ljdtmgq.jpg

I can see it all from this great height , I can feel the sun slipping out of sight , and the world still goes on through the night .

DSC05159_zpsjmpn1v8g.jpg

Our last Patter for our last day at sea .

DSC05449_zpsxerk5bzf.jpg

DSC05451_zps5ubqfrpz.jpg

DSC05452_zpswzc5t79f.jpg

DSC05450_zpsyxgij1cc.jpg

When the sun goes down , and the clouds all frown ...

IMG_8212_zps1ljdtmgq.jpg

I can see it all from this great height , I can feel the sun slipping out of sight , and the world still goes on through the night .

DSC05159_zpsjmpn1v8g.jpg

Our last Patter for our last day at sea .

DSC05449_zpsxerk5bzf.jpg

DSC05451_zps5ubqfrpz.jpg

DSC05452_zpswzc5t79f.jpg

DSC05450_zpsyxgij1cc.jpg

Thank you for the pictures including the patter. It is interesting to see how many of the activities have to do with selling you something. Last chance clearance sales etc. I have gotten sucked into those sales many times ! Never knew I needed any of those things until they were on sale. Haha!

Thank you for the pictures including the patter. It is interesting to see how many of the activities have to do with selling you something. Last chance clearance sales etc. I have gotten sucked into those sales many times ! Never knew I needed any of those things until they were on sale. Haha!

You're welcome . It did made us feel very special to have so many shopping opportunities extended to us on our last day at sea ! ;)

DSC05542-001_zpswv8gd1k6.jpg

Deck placard

IMG_8255_zpsueoaw6yg.jpg

The aft elevators and stairway . We had no center stairway issues because we used these .

IMG_8254_zpsrxyz1zwb.jpg

Let the possibilities begin

IMG_8261_zpskanas8zj.jpg

We usually used the Promenade Deck to move horizontally .

IMG_8263_zps68ex8inr.jpg

If art deco and disco had children , we think that it would look like these :

IMG_8290_zpsdbhabqzy.jpg

IMG_8264_zps8ltp6twu.jpg