Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

I just returned from the Regal, but it will take me a few months (probably) to go through all my photos and get them edited.

She was a beautiful ship, and your review helped me get excited about the trip.

I went diving (first time in four years) in Cozumel and it was fabulous. At least 100 ft. visibility, and we saw so many interesting fish. My biggest thrill was seeing a spotted eagle ray with two remoras attached to it.

We hope that you enjoyed your cruise and we're glad that the review helped !

The dive sounds great and we are envious , because the spotted eagle is one of favorites and we haven't seen one in awhile . For the readers who haven't seen one , here's a photo and a video clip .

PICT0113_zpszuxcfivk.jpg

Notice the 3 sharp barbs at the base of the tail . If alarmed they stand upright and can be lethal as was the case for Steve Irwin , "The Crocodile Hunter " .

Normally docile , they appear to fly underwater as seen in this video clip that we took :

:) :D Edited by scubacruiserx2

We hope that you enjoyed your cruise and we're glad that the review helped !

The dive sounds great and we are envious , because the spotted eagle is one of favorites and we haven't seen one in awhile . For the readers who haven't seen one , here's a photo and a video clip .

PICT0113_zpszuxcfivk.jpg

Notice the 3 sharp barbs at the base of the tail . If alarmed they stand upright and can be lethal as was the case for Steve Irwin , "The Crocodile Hunter " .

Normally docile , they appear to fly underwater as seen in this video clip that we took :

:) :D

Wow! Pretty Amazing.

We were meeting some friends who own a house on the island , at the dive boat . I would be diving with Mike , and Pat and Kris were going shopping since Pat wasn't cleared to dive yet . Because of the cold fronts the smaller , fast boats had not been able to go out all week , so Mike put us on one of the larger cattle boats , with a sun deck .

54eb2549-da85-4a3e-90e7-7541dd0801ee_zpstnacmges.jpg

In February schools of Eagle Rays are sometimes seen in Cozumel - and so we had high hopes of seeing some . We would be heading South , past the cruise ships , to get to the reefs which we were diving on . Here's a map of the reefs and the Regal was near the ship on the map . We would be going further South to Palancar .

DSC05524_zpse5kawwlv.jpg

First we would pass the International Pier and the RCI ships .

DSC05124_zpsna1iiojl.jpg

Before reaching the CB and the Regal .

DSC05125_zpsr8b2zhvj.jpg

Here's the video clip:

Looking Regal !

DSC05133_zpsaydhmsdh.jpg

A sun deck for photos !

DSC05134_zpsqnh12fhr.jpg

And in this video clip you can see why we prefer fast boats . They are 3 times faster !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Here are some of our favorite critters seen when we dive in Cozumel .

The Scorpionfish is venomous .

a39cfea2-2516-490c-88c6-a6a7595ae28a_zps25d989a3.jpg

This Lizardfish is about 4 inches long

a8794566-7b2f-4d35-81f5-afb71b8eeeae_zpsa8cc7907.jpg

A Queen Angel has a round crown on it's head .

7390bf96-d3cf-40f4-9088-9fb6ffe72933_zps18ce61f7.jpg

The Burrfish is a puffer that will ball up and extend it's spikes when alarmed

PICT0138_zpsbc2115d9.jpg

A French Angel

CozumelNov045-001_zpsd0f18589.jpg

And here's my Princess with a Queen Angel . My Princess is sometimes called a Wifefish .

CozumelNov005_zps86c21a86.jpg

Some more critters from down under in Cozumel

Mr and Mrs Whitespotted Filefish

d835e57a-7cfc-400b-92ab-c497762eaf0b_zps36ce9b8a.jpg

A Red Lionfish with it's spines erect , is both venomous and invasive

5a47b4b0-bc84-4f39-9880-2c8e93b1ba7b_zps97825d4c.jpg

As such , they are hunted . Here's a Lionfish skewer .

61448564-8190-4a45-994b-5aa224bb4852_zps12608c41.jpg

From the dangerous to a cute and cuddly seahorse

7aa76256-afc1-4568-807f-8d4867ba056a_zps0jypfuvc.jpg

And a flying turtle on the sand flats

17ea3b06-717a-4d3d-a452-59bdab729d9b_zps777cc628.jpg

Cozumel20home20086_zpsmjbdxp19.jpg

And that's a Moray !

Loved all your amazing pictures!! Thank you for sharing.

You're welcome , we're glad that you enjoyed them and thank you for writing . :) :D

These photos are fabulous. Thank you so much for posting

These critters , and dive buddies are why we like to dive ! :) :D

You know I'm loving the dive pictures! :D

Nice shots of both the RCI and Princess ships in port, too! :cool:

Super , and hopefully you and Pat will be in the diving picture soon ! We were supposed to stay in Cozumel in May with some friends , but we booked the Baltic cruise instead when the opportunity became available . And unfortunately , one of them had knee surgery this week and now they may not be able to go in May . :(

But , until we dive again we will enjoy our dive memories with our photos . In this photo we are sandwiching a large Great Southern Stingray .

4bf9b44a-6ee4-4550-8a15-6aad270a4358_zpsnhnbj4ms.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

More great dive pictures! Would you mind sharing the name of the dive shop you use in Cozumel? We will be there in November on our Oasis cruise, and I do plan to be diving before then. I would prefer not to do the ship tour like I did the last time I was there .

I'm still trying to decide if I want to dive on our Freedom cruise next month, but I'm waiting to see how well I do in the gym for the next couple of weeks before I decide. Some days I feel like I'm ready to go, other days not so much. The desire to dive sure provides great motivation for me in the gym! :D

I apologize for the hijack - now back to your regularly scheduled dive pictures! :D

A camouflaged Peacock Flounder

PICT0010_zpspmqrqtis.jpg

Another master of camouflage - the Stonefish

dc00f6c8-91a9-46b2-a013-073dc3285507_zpsd33f30ef.jpg

Swimming overhead - a turtle

f51ef174-329e-4536-bfc4-558c96018dd3_zps9098ea8f.jpg

and a Nurse Shark ( with a Remora attached )

ae296d99-7a15-4800-a4a2-d586d942b1fb_zpsa19a2dcd.jpg

A Honeycomb Cowfish

Cozumel20home20081_zps7sqekief.jpg

And finally , a fish found only in Cozumel - The Splendid Toadfish .

904b3dbd-71fd-4edc-b96d-f42ce4713df8_zpset7qtcer.jpg

These photographs are just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are welcome . It really is another world down there ! Sometimes it's better seen in the video mode , and here's a few to choose from :

A Loggerhead Turtle

2 Nurse Sharks swim away from us

Swimming through a cavern

We hope that you enjoy them . :) :D

More great dive pictures! Would you mind sharing the name of the dive shop you use in Cozumel? We will be there in November on our Oasis cruise, and I do plan to be diving before then. I would prefer not to do the ship tour like I did the last time I was there .

I'm still trying to decide if I want to dive on our Freedom cruise next month, but I'm waiting to see how well I do in the gym for the next couple of weeks before I decide. Some days I feel like I'm ready to go, other days not so much. The desire to dive sure provides great motivation for me in the gym!

I apologize for the hijack - now back to your regularly scheduled dive pictures! :D

We like Dive Paradise and have used them for many years . Our favorite DM is Martin Matu and favorite Captain is Smiley :)

P1000372-001_zpsad891581.jpg

We only took a couple of photos on our last trip as I just wanted to take it all in and relax . A great Barracuda swam along with us for awhile .

PICT0204_zpsylebajpa.jpg

Toward the end of the dive we saw the telltale sign of Spiny Lobster - antenna sticking out , and looked under a ledge .

PICT0209_zpshtnawy4e.jpg

11 keeper size that we would have gladly invited to dinner at our house if we were in Florida !! My friend shot a nice video clip on our first dive of a large grouper and a green moray swimming along together . But alas , it was lost , along with his Go Pro camera which flooded . :(

Keep up the good work on PT in the gym Nancy as it be well the effort in the long run ! We do have a visit with the surgeon tomorrow and we hope that he will allow Pat to return to more exercise in preparation for our next cruise !

Thank you for the dive shop info! I will definitely look into Dive Paradise once I start my actual planning for Oasis trip. I am holding off on that at least until after we get back from our Freedom cruise because I have enough to keep me busy for now.

I hope Pat's appointment on Thursday goes well. Pat, I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

While Mike and I dove , Pat and Kris decided to drive to the other side of the island , the East coast . The West coast is where the cruise ships dock and is the side where most of the population and diving takes place . But on the East side few people live and the sea is usually rough .

P1030971-001_zps1f3b4951.jpg

PICT0221_zpszonwl80u.jpg

And at the southern tip is a lighthouse

PICT0214_zpstbjo6rmy.jpg

with a great view !

PICT0215_zpsan9ehppb.jpg

There are several restaurants on the other side

PICT0228_zps4288e343.jpg

And one makes a great burger that both visitors and locals enjoy .

PICT0226_zpsb15eac24.jpg