Cruising the Caribbean on the Re_al Princess : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

Scubacruiserx2

I assumed you realised it was April 1st- April Fool's Day!

----keen to enjoy a game of croquet or a picnic at our Lawn Club. South and Hampton are great additions to our team

I wouldn't fancy the job of clearing up after the cows so that these activities can take place.

Edited by upwarduk

On day 1 of our cruise we tried to book a lounger in the Sanctuary only to be told that they were sold out for the cruise . When we found that the cabanas around the Retreat Pool were available , we booked one for the morning of Costa Maya . Here's the description from the Princess web site about the pool :

Retreat Pool – Adjacent to The Sanctuary, the Retreat Pool provides an exclusive area for adults to relax and rejuvenate. The Retreat Pool on Royal Princess offers more space and seating than the adult pools on other Princess vessels, plus adds new Retreat Cabanas that can be reserved for an enhanced experience. These cabanas are the perfect way to enjoy private space poolside, or even add the indulgence of one of the ship’s special picnic baskets. The Retreat Pool is open to all adults, and Retreat Pool Cabana rental is available beginning at $50 for a half day. At night, this area turns into the “Chill Lounge,” offering passengers a relaxed outdoor space to enjoy the night with drinks and music.

After our photo walk on the pier we changed clothes and headed for the Retreat Pool . It was a beautiful morning , sunny , cool and breezy !

DSC0496720Stitch_zps8suesene.jpg

The pool area was sheltered from the breeze and this is the cabana that we rented .

DSC04971_zpsukyzn39y.jpg

And if we got too hot in the sun , the pool entrance was just feet away and it was cool !

DSC04972_zpsxdfaavf3.jpg

Ah , the hot tub .

DSC04976_zps1ryqenr5.jpg

And it was just right for Pat's knee !

DSC04981_zpsrekwoouo.jpg

And meanwhile , the pool attendants were practicing with chair lift .

DSC04975_zpsnjs1te3q.jpg

I found this story about cows on the Celebrity Eclipse this morning .

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/learn/south-hampton

Here's the text :

New moo-vers join Celebrity

Chewing the cud becomes full time role for new recruits

Two Jersey cows have been appointed as lawn keepers on-board Celebrity Eclipse when it returns to Southampton on 30 April 2016. The cows ‘South’ and ‘Hampton’, will be responsible for maintaining the real grass lawn on the top deck of the ship as well as producing fresh milk and cheese for guests during their cruises throughout Europe.

Celebrity Eclipse will be returning to Southampton in 2016 with its first European sailing departing on 30 April where both ‘South’ and ‘Hampton’ will begin their new roles on-board. To celebrate their first day on the ship, guests will be invited to the lawn for a cheese tasting meet and greet with the new employees.

“We are extremely proud to be the first cruise line to produce and serve fresh milk and cheese on-board Celebrity Eclipse and are very excited for our guests to experience this. As the new lawn keepers on-board, we are confident that our new bovine employees will keep the grass lawn extremely tidy and fresh for our guests who are keen to enjoy a game of croquet or a picnic at our Lawn Club. South and Hampton are great additions to our team and we are looking forward to welcoming them in April.”

Ali Forlop

Head of cows

It's too bad that the Connie doesn't have a lawn Mic . :) :D

Yeah, but then April 1 does tend to bring out great innovations.

We had a great one here about a TA offering 'cabin-less cruises' for $35 pp per night and passengers get the food and entertainment and a sun lounge to sleep on by the pool.:D

Yeah, but then April 1 does tend to bring out great innovations.

We had a great one here about a TA offering 'cabin-less cruises' for $35 pp per night and passengers get the food and entertainment and a sun lounge to sleep on by the pool.:D

If the deal is still available , would you book one for us ? ;)

Scubacruiserx2

I assumed you realised it was April 1st- April Fool's Day!

I only read it just this morning and didn't check the date - Duh ! ;)

I wouldn't fancy the job of clearing up after the cows so that these activities can take place.

Organic fertilizer ? :) :D

If the deal is still available , would you book one for us ? ;)

LOL, the offer finished at noon April 1 but they took it down earlier as demand was high.:cool:

in all seriousness though, I actually think there is a market for this type of cruiser.

LOL, the offer finished at noon April 1 but they took it down earlier as demand was high.:cool:

in all seriousness though, I actually think there is a market for this type of cruiser.

Just another form of service animal , do they make vests that large ? :eek:

Before returning to the port of Costa Maya , we wanted to fast forward to an event which occurred later that evening - The Chef's Table . We met the other diners and the Maitre d'Hotel Francisco Patricio , at Bellini's Bar . We then headed down to the galley for a change into white coats and a through hand washing . And moving rapidly through the hot and busy galley ( after all - it was dinner time ) , we met The Executive Chef Naveen Quadros .

DSC05035_zpseox0f6ts.jpg

He conducted the tour and is serving us our first hors d'oeuvre , Blue Crab and Shrimp Margarita with Avocado and Mango

DSC05040_zps2om4r56y.jpg

Yum !

DSC05042_zpswsufojel.jpg

Next up , Sushi Grade Ahi Tuna Tartare with Wasabi and Pickled Ginger

DSC05048_zps5xbegoec.jpg

The third appetizer was Roasted New Potatoes with Sour Cream and Osetra Caviar

DSC05052_zpscup7pxlc.jpg

And then came an amazing Bistro Fontina Cheese Mini Tartlet and Black Truffle !

DSC05049_zpscpikuj2t.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I found this story about cows on the Celebrity Eclipse this morning .

https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/learn/south-hampton

Here's the text :

New moo-vers join Celebrity

Chewing the cud becomes full time role for new recruits

Two Jersey cows have been appointed as lawn keepers on-board Celebrity Eclipse when it returns to Southampton on 30 April 2016. The cows ‘South’ and ‘Hampton’, will be responsible for maintaining the real grass lawn on the top deck of the ship as well as producing fresh milk and cheese for guests during their cruises throughout Europe.

Celebrity Eclipse will be returning to Southampton in 2016 with its first European sailing departing on 30 April where both ‘South’ and ‘Hampton’ will begin their new roles on-board. To celebrate their first day on the ship, guests will be invited to the lawn for a cheese tasting meet and greet with the new employees.

“We are extremely proud to be the first cruise line to produce and serve fresh milk and cheese on-board Celebrity Eclipse and are very excited for our guests to experience this. As the new lawn keepers on-board, we are confident that our new bovine employees will keep the grass lawn extremely tidy and fresh for our guests who are keen to enjoy a game of croquet or a picnic at our Lawn Club. South and Hampton are great additions to our team and we are looking forward to welcoming them in April.”

Ali Forlop

Head of cows

It's too bad that the Connie doesn't have a lawn Mic . :) :D

Now that was funny! :D

Our last hors D'oeuvres was a Breaded Brie Lollipop and Port Wine and Plum Reduction for dipping .

DSC05050-001_zpsjibxyjh9.jpg

A look at some edible art

DSC05043_zps3pggrz1b.jpg

DSC05044_zpstvy62x9c.jpg

A Carmen Miranda seahorse sculpture

DSC05045_zpsivvfkiyf.jpg

I was glad to see that the galley part of the tour was ending as juggling a camera , food and a bottomless flute of champagne was taxing my abilities .

And with the galley part of the tour over it was time to move out to the dining area . As we were seated , our menus were waiting for us .

2111e958-af20-434d-bf8d-441bfbedca22_zpsqep2wmex.jpg

f5b2c153-0d7e-4813-8868-70118968437b_zps3cq8dfio.jpg

It was now time for some serious eating !

After being seated at our table , it was time for the ceremonial closing of the light curtains !

DSC05053_zpsy47jefjf.jpg

You can see a video clip of it here :

The lighted center piece of the table

DSC05056-001_zpsnfckr3it.jpg

It reminds me of a Giant Sea Anemone

Giant20Sea20Anemone_zpsdfrzenyx.jpg

The next order of business was a group photo

DSC05406_zpsqkgceovi.jpg

Followed by individual group shots

DSC05409_zpslhllg62r.jpg

I took one of the group seated to our left .

DSC05055_zpsnwoxpvs0.jpg

They reminded me of the TV show Charlie's Angels . Bosley and the three angels .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

I'm still trying to get my new knees ready for our cruise, so I haven't touched the scuba gear yet. I am making progress in that regard. We made our first Disney run since my knee replacements to see Peter Noone on Friday. My knees and the hip that was replaced this past June all held up very well, but by the end of the night I was very, very tired. I have another month to spend in the gym doing rehab on my own, so hopefully by the time it is our turn to sail my endurance will be better.

All in good time Nancy , and progress sometimes comes slowly , nevertheless it's great that you're out ! But Herman without the Hermits - really ? :confused:

What's next ? Synchronized service and....

DSC05057-001_zpsjwdnxc2y.jpg

...Lobster and asparagus risotto - as rich as it looks ! With Danzante Pinot Grigio

DSC05059_zpspkvktq46.jpg

Roasted Orange and Ginger Sorbet

DSC05061_zpsfw5tdrdu.jpg

Served with Grey Goose Vodka gravy

DSC05062_zpswawhadb0.jpg

Flame on flambe

DSC05064_zpseyo7iv7h.jpg

See the flambe video here :

And Executive Chef Naveen served as his own Saucier !

DSC05070_zps9weztim7.jpg

With the steak cooking complete , it was time for the second meat course : Dijon crusted Roast Rack of Lamb .

DSC05073_zpsjz7vomf1.jpg

Enjoy !!

DSC05076_zpsh051ico6.jpg

And don't forget the wine - Zeni Amarone Classico

DSC05077_zpsumimdfa4.jpg

With the meat course eaten and enjoyed , we were beginning to feel very full and content . The cheese course was a Baked Camembert De Meaux . And save some room for dessert !

DSC05083_zpsyvpyqvp6.jpg

And with dessert , a dessert wine : A late harvest Sauvignon Blanc .

DSC05088_zpsenuequgg.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2