When your partner doesn't love cruising as much as you do...

sparklies70

I am wistfully looking at everyone's historical and future cruises. DB does not enjoy cruising nearly as much as I do. He goes, I suppose, to oblige me, but he ends up being sick and miserable for about 3 days of a 7 night cruise. He's tried the bands and Dramamine but neither helped much, so I guess next up is the patch. After this last cruise, I suggested maybe we could do 2 a year instead of 1, and that was met with a hard no. He was rather petulant, actually: "I don't WANT to go on two cruises a year!!!!"

SO- is anybody here partnered with someone who just doesn't care very much for the ship life? How do you make it work? Should I just end the relationship now? (Only half serious.)

PS- We do "his" vacations too: music festivals, his family's lake house, etc etc.

If normal remedies fail him, then perhaps his body isn't meant to cruise.

Eventually, if you two stay together, someone will have to capitulate to the other. You give up cruising or he sucks it up...but the vacation will become a pain with him being sick....I imagine by year 5 that you'll give up the fight because it isn't worth it.

Otherwise, why don't you go with another friend and he can do a guys trip. Sometimes, it's nice to have interests outside of your relationship. My wife and I love each other immensely, but we also do occasional trips without each other. Why force someone to do something when it causes them such grief?

Good luck, however it works out.

Have you tried Bonine? This is the ONLY thing that works for my (grown) kids. You start taking it a night or two before the cruise starts to get it in your system. Is this the only reason he does not like to cruise or are there other reasons?

Bonine! We'll have to try that!

I think it's a little from Column A and a little from Column B. Minus the seasickness, he definitely enjoyed the Oasis. However, I don't think he'd continue to do them if we weren't together. Me, on the other hand, I'm not happy unless I've got one booked. He just doesn't have the love for it, you know?

Also--hello from Southeast New Jersey!! Your part of the state is quite beautiful.

I am wistfully looking at everyone's historical and future cruises. DB does not enjoy cruising nearly as much as I do. He goes, I suppose, to oblige me, but he ends up being sick and miserable for about 3 days of a 7 night cruise. He's tried the bands and Dramamine but neither helped much, so I guess next up is the patch. After this last cruise, I suggested maybe we could do 2 a year instead of 1, and that was met with a hard no. He was rather petulant, actually: "I don't WANT to go on two cruises a year!!!!"

SO- is anybody here partnered with someone who just doesn't care very much for the ship life? How do you make it work? Should I just end the relationship now? (Only half serious.)

PS- We do "his" vacations too: music festivals, his family's lake house, etc etc.

Yep if it's just the sickness, give something else a try. I can make myself car sick while I'm driving, but do just fine on cruises with the patch. If it didn't work I wouldn't want to do on them either.

If normal remedies fail him, then perhaps his body isn't meant to cruise.

Eventually, if you two stay together, someone will have to capitulate to the other. You give up cruising or he sucks it up...but the vacation will become a pain with him being sick....I imagine by year 5 that you'll give up the fight because it isn't worth it.

Otherwise, why don't you go with another friend and he can do a guys trip. Sometimes, it's nice to have interests outside of your relationship. My wife and I love each other immensely, but we also do occasional trips without each other. Why force someone to do something when it causes them such grief?

Good luck, however it works out.

I agree, to an extent. I suppose he is choosing to suck it up since we booked a 10-night Southern Caribbean for January and it was totally his idea.

We take plenty of trips without each other throughout the year; usually they are long weekends. Then we do a week with his family, which is quite like nails on a chalkboard for me. So I'd really like to have my own week of vacationing with him...on an actual vacation.

Bonine! We'll have to try that!

I think it's a little from Column A and a little from Column B. Minus the seasickness, he definitely enjoyed the Oasis. However, I don't think he'd continue to do them if we weren't together. Me, on the other hand, I'm not happy unless I've got one booked. He just doesn't have the love for it, you know?

Also--hello from Southeast New Jersey!! Your part of the state is quite beautiful.

Book the ANTHEM out of NJ ........ASAP....LOL

Truly though, Bonine is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for my son who violently gets ill on a ship. As stated before, start taking it two days before the cruise....AT NIGHT....as it can make you tired....so you don't want to take it during the day (especially if you are drinking).

:):):):)

Yep if it's just the sickness, give something else a try. I can make myself car sick while I'm driving, but do just fine on cruises with the patch. If it didn't work I wouldn't want to do on them either.

Good point. He's very prone to car sickness as well. I guess it's just difficult for me to grasp because no amount of movement makes me feel sick in the least.

Book the ANTHEM out of NJ ........ASAP....LOL

Truly though, Bonine is the ONLY thing that has ever worked for my son who violently gets ill on a ship. As stated before, start taking it two days before the cruise....AT NIGHT....as it can make you tired....so you don't want to take it during the day (especially if you are drinking).

:):):):)

Hahaha! I would totally do Anthem if not for the fact that I see no reason to be cold for two day while getting away from this state.

Will definitely try the Bonine. Thank you so much for the suggestion.

My son and I are both prone to motion sickness. Oddly, I don't have much of a problem on a ship! He usually places a patch before the cruise and does just fine. Seems like one day in Alaska he just took something and slept through it. Highly recommend Bonine or the patch. Don't give up!!! Keep him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this.

We do things that we are both happy with.

Thankfully we both love to travel and love to cruise.

Keith

Ahhhh, to be able to do only what you both enjoy. Unfortunately with 4 families in 4 different corners of 2 different states, 8 hours apart, wildly different careers, and some unshared interests, doing just the things we both love is not really an option. Concede we must.

My husband doesn't like to cruise or travel beyond a day's automobile drive from where we live. He accompanied me on several cruises before saying "never again". So now I cruise with my sister and/or mother, or even by myself. My husband is a wonderful person; he and I do virtually everything else together; cruising is the one area where I diverge and gratify myself:D

My husband doesn't like to cruise or travel beyond a day's automobile drive from where we live. He accompanied me on several cruises before saying "never again". So now I cruise with my sister and/or mother, or even by myself. My husband is a wonderful person; he and I do virtually everything else together; cruising is the one area where I diverge and gratify myself:D

I could totaalllyyyy cruise by myself and have a splendid time. Doesn't sound like a bad setup at all! Thank you for the suggestion :)

Compromise is what makes life good....for everyone! Don't force him to do something that makes him ill!

Oh no....I hope I haven't been forcing him :( For what it's worth, HE picked the 10-night Serenade we just booked last week. He wanted to do either that or a 9-night Navigator.

The other thing you might try is river cruising in Europe - the motion is extremely minimal on the Rhine, for example. We went on Uniworld's SS. Antoinette - everything is included - including all tours (but 3) and the food is out of this world great! Wine and beer are included with dinner (and I think lunch, too). They change every day. The food is designed to fit the area in which you are cruising, but they also offer typical American favorites as well in case you don't want the cuisine of the night. The tours were by bus and walking tours or you can borrow the bicycles and do your own thing or just walk around as the ships dock right in town. The tours we went on were wonderful! People on our cruise ranged in age from 28 to 93, with most in their 60's. Still it was EASY to find nice people to hang out with and since there are only 200 onboard, many good friendships are made. River cruising really spoiled us. Ocean cruises are nice, but river cruises are awesome!

You don't have to do everything together. Just go solo. If he can't trust you to do that, you have bigger issues to deal with than a cruise.