Why are Alaska cruise deposits so much more?

Gracie115

HI -

I'm currently booked on a 7 day land tour and 7 day cruise on the Regal for this fall through New England and Canada and our deposit was $200....total....

Trying to book an Alaskan trip with 3 day land and 7 day cruise and they are looking for $625.00 per person....... $1150 total...:eek:

Anyone know why the amount for deposit on Princess is so much more?

Usually the deposit is a percentage of the total land/cruise cost. Is it possible there was a reduced deposit promotion when you reserved the NE/Canada cruise? Or did you use a Future Cruise Credit?

Edited by azdmelani

Usually the deposit is a percentage of the total land/cruise cost. Is it possible there was a reduced deposit promotion when you reserved the NE/Canada cruise? Or did you use a Future Cruise Credit?

Not a Future Cruise Credit...these are only our 2nd & 3rd Princess cruises....

Perhaps it was a promo of some kind....but my 1st Princess cruise last fall was also a $200 deposit....so not sure...

Edited by Gracie115

HI -

I'm currently booked on a 7 day land tour and 7 day cruise on the Regal for this fall through New England and Canada and our deposit was $200....total....

Trying to book an Alaskan trip with 3 day land and 7 day cruise and they are looking for $625.00 per person....... $1150 total...:eek:

Anyone know why the amount for deposit on Princess is so much more?

Not a Future Cruise Credit...these are only our 2nd & 3rd Princess cruises....

Perhaps it was a promo of some kind....but my 1st Princess cruise last fall was also a $200 deposit....so not sure...

Based on my experience the standard deposit is 20% of the total fare. Therefore, $625 equates to a $3125 fare which seems about right for a cruise tour.

The exception would be if you're using an FCC (you actually paid the $100 deposit when you bought the FCC) or if there's a reduced deposit promotion which is what it sounds like might have been the situation with you NE/Canada cruise.

Also, I think buying an FCC is generally a good bet if you have any intention of sailing with Princess again. It must be used within 2 years but is fully refundable if not used and can often be extended. It not only covers your deposit but provides an OBC.

Some travel agents run $100 deposit specials periodically. I asked my agent recently about this and she had them until the end of the month right now. I don't know how that works with cruise tours though.

So if you don't have FCC, find an agent with $100 deposit special.

For my 10-day Alaskan cruise next year my deposit was 10% of my cruise price. I think that for most cruises 10% is pretty standard. If it's one of those exotic or very lengthy cruises the deposit might well be more.

Thanks for the info.....am I correct that Future Cruise Credits have to purchased while on board?

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. It's my understanding, recently, that you can buy FCC within a certain period of time after your cruise. However the OBC that you'd get is substantially lower than that tied to a FCC bought onboard.

I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. It's my understanding, recently, that you can buy FCC within a certain period of time after your cruise. However the OBC that you'd get is substantially lower than that tied to a FCC bought onboard.

You are correct, it must be purchased within 30 days after your cruise and the OBC is less.

It has been awhile since I booked a cruise without using FCC's. But I remember my first Princess cruise had a deposit of 20%. Our second (and maybe third if we were not alert to FCC's then) had a deposit of 10%. We have always booked on line after signing in to the Princess site and booking there. The site recognizes us as Captain's Circle members.

I believe it has to do with the current exchange rate from US to Alaska dollar. :D

Some days I just really enjoy being a smart ... :cool:

That must be it!;)

Edited by Treven

Since you live in Florida (if you are anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale), you could do a BVE (Bon Voyage Experience). Cost is $39pp (if you book within 3 months it is refunded as part of your fare) and you board the ship for a visit while it is in port. Boarding picture for all in your group, lunch (with wine) in the MDR and tour of the ship is included. While you are on the ship (they make you get off about 1 hour before sail away:(), you can purchase as many Future Cruise Deposits as your budget will allow.

You couldn't use the FCDs for the cruises that you have booked already (unless you cancel and rebook), but you could use them for any cruises you want to book between now and then.

There is a list of BVEs for 2016 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk//showthread.php?t=2305019 (post #10).

Do you have to have a TA to book leap day promo??

I saw it on some promo's from travel agents. It is celebrating the final day of Twice as Nice sale and Leap Day.

My guess would be no -you can probably book direct but I am not sure.

Edited by Coral

I booked an Alaska cruise for next year. I had a 15% down pmt. why this figure? We booked a family suite and since there are only two per ship Princess said the down payment was more. I paid the down payment. Not a big deal.

Edited by AF-1

Princess is running $1 deposits for Monday (Leap Day Promo) only on cruises and cruise tours longer than 6 days for cruises through spring 2017. Contact your TA for more info.

Seriously? I'm going to a TA travel expo on Saturday, maybe they would know about this? Otherwise, I'm emailing my Princess cruise consultant right now. There are a couple of cruises I'm interested in for next January, and I didn't do future cruise deposit on our cruise earlier this month because of an unexpected large expense shortly before we left. For $1, I could put a hold on one of those cruises, and possibly an Alaskan cruise for 2018 (assuming those are available).

Seriously? I'm going to a TA travel expo on Saturday, maybe they would know about this? Otherwise, I'm emailing my Princess cruise consultant right now. There are a couple of cruises I'm interested in for next January, and I didn't do future cruise deposit on our cruise earlier this month because of an unexpected large expense shortly before we left. For $1, I could put a hold on one of those cruises, and possibly an Alaskan cruise for 2018 (assuming those are available).

The promo doesn't even include cruises or cruise tours in summer 2017. It only goes through Spring 2017.

The promo doesn't even include cruises or cruise tours in summer 2017. It only goes through Spring 2017.

There aren't prices for anything in 2018, but I do have my eye on a couple of Caribbean itineraries for January of next year. I shall see which one will be the best deal.