Princess Formal Nights

MissCruiseAddict

Why not have half the formal nights in the buffet? If the buffet is adequate for those who prefer casual dress, then it also should be adequate for those who prefer formal dress.

Let's not extend the battle to the buffet, too. :D I actually have seen formally dressed people there on formal night. I don't know if they were having a second dinner or what, but they both looked really nice. :)

Let's not extend the battle to the buffet, too. :D I actually have seen formally dressed people there on formal night. I don't know if they were having a second dinner or what, but they both looked really nice. :)

Guess you're right, they might spoil the "ambiance". I think it is very important to have the right "ambiance" when I'm enjoying my meatloaf.

Guess you're right, they might spoil the "ambiance". I think it is very important to have the right "ambiance" when I'm enjoying my meatloaf.

In about two weeks, I will be having meatloaf on American night, and I will dedicate the meal to you. :) I think I'll wear sequins that night. :D

In about two weeks, I will be having meatloaf on American night, and I will dedicate the meal to you. :) I think I'll wear sequins that night. :D

How sweet of you. The Merlot should go well with the meatloaf.

We'll be on Westerdam next week.

Edited by RocketMan275

I guess we are old fashioned, Formal night means "Formal." My husband ALWAYS wears a nice black suit with a tie. If you don't like formal nights you should go to the specialty restaurants or the Horizon Court on those nights.

Polo shirt not appropriate for Formal Night, just saying... Come on folks, dining on a cruise is not like going to Home Town Buffet!

I actually agree with you quite firmly! Formal nights are part of the fun of cruising. I spend a lot of time planning ahead for them. My birthday happened to be on a formal night and it made the occasion even nicer. Don't like them? That's cool; no one is forcing you to go to the dining room. Don't like long lines in Horizon Court? Take the time to dress up :D

Not looking for an argument. I'm just saying that everyone knows about formal nights way in advance. You can expect them on every cruise. It's actually kind of disappointing when people don't play along.

I actually agree with you quite firmly! Formal nights are part of the fun of cruising. I spend a lot of time planning ahead for them. My birthday happened to be on a formal night and it made the occasion even nicer. Don't like them? That's cool; no one is forcing you to go to the dining room. Don't like long lines in Horizon Court? Take the time to dress up :D

Not looking for an argument. I'm just saying that everyone knows about formal nights way in advance. You can expect them on every cruise. It's actually kind of disappointing when people don't play along.

I am not sure why you care what others are wearing. I care more about the people I meet and certainly don't judge them on their clothes. If someone is enjoyable to talk to, kind, interesting etc. I don't care if they are wearing jeans or a tux. I think that is what's wrong with our world today. We should be concerned with ourselves and let others live the way they want if they are not harming anyone else. If u don't want to dine with someone is not not dressed up enough for you, find friends that enjoy formal clothes and dine with them. If looking at a pair of jeans offends you, just don't look at them and mind your own business

I'm another that seems "Formal" nights as part of the deal.

I just wish the lines would enforce their dress codes. But I doubt that will ever happen a they don't want o offend anyone.

We are not opposed to formal nights....but as always, you can't judge a book by it's cover. We have been in many situations where we have been dressed formal and half of the people are not, and visa versa.

The one that sticks out in my mind........we were at a very small wine makers dinner with Mario Andretti and we and our friends were fairly dressed up......the people seated across from us were in jeans and suspenders.....and.......after getting to know them, they could have bought and sold us two times over! You just never know......maybe they have to wear a monkey suit for a living and just don't want to do it on their down time....or, that's happy, happy for them! Just sayin'!

I am not sure why you care what others are wearing. I care more about the people I meet and certainly don't judge them on their clothes. If someone is enjoyable to talk to, kind, interesting etc. I don't care if they are wearing jeans or a tux. I think that is what's wrong with our world today. We should be concerned with ourselves and let others live the way they want if they are not harming anyone else. If u don't want to dine with someone is not not dressed up enough for you, find friends that enjoy formal clothes and dine with them. If looking at a pair of jeans offends you, just don't look at them and mind your own business

If it were "Crazy Hat Night" and I didn't want to wear a crazy hat, I would take it upon myself to make other plans. I'm all about peace and granola and letting people be, but there is still something to be said for being refined! And honestly, sometimes it's just fun! If I want to walk into the dining room completely nude, should that be allowed simply because that's how I choose to live my life?? I mean really, you could just look away if it offends you or go sit with other people who like wearing clothes.

Clearly, this is an unnecessarily heated subject. My words are not meant rudely, though I know in type it is hard to see that. It would be an interesting discussion to have in person. I hear your words and they are meaningful; I'm just trying to present the other side of the coin. Those are my last two cents and I am respectfully bowing out :)

Yet another never ending whining about "formal" night. It gives the dwindling formal group a chance to vent. The world started moving to less formal dress decades ago with casual Fridays etc. Cruise ships are not immune to the changing times. One by one the mass market cruise lines have dropped formal nights in favor of something less formal. Carnival calls them elegant nights. The latest domino to fall was Celebrity which is considered Princess's competitor increasing the pressure on Princess. It is no wonder that Princess no longer enforces the stated dress standards on formal night as they cannot afford to drive away pax to rival lines like Celebrity. It is just a matter of time before Princess folds and drops formal night. The world moves on so move on with it or be left behind.

The higher priced lines still have formal night and it is enforced. I suggest therefore that those who love to get in formal attire move to them and wear real formal clothes which means tux on men and long formal gowns on women. Seaborne is looking for a few new pax.

Edited by satxdiver

I'm another that seems "Formal" nights as part of the deal.

I just wish the lines would enforce their dress codes. But I doubt that will ever happen a they don't want o offend anyone.

I've never heard anyone call it part of the "deal". That's a unique way of putting it.

Yet another never ending whining about "formal" night. It gives the dwindling formal group a chance to vent. The world started moving to less formal dress decades ago with casual Fridays etc. Cruise ships are not immune to the changing times. One by one the mass market cruise lines have dropped formal nights in favor of something less formal. Carnival calls them elegant nights. The latest domino to fall was Celebrity which is considered Princess's competitor increasing the pressure on Princess. It is no wonder that Princess no longer enforces the stated dress standards on formal night as they cannot afford to drive away pax to rival lines like Celebrity. It is just a matter of time before Princess folds and drops formal night. The world moves on so move on with it or be left behind.

I like that deal. :D

If it were "Crazy Hat Night" and I didn't want to wear a crazy hat, I would take it upon myself to make other plans. I'm all about peace and granola and letting people be, but there is still something to be said for being refined! And honestly, sometimes it's just fun! If I want to walk into the dining room completely nude, should that be allowed simply because that's how I choose to live my life?? I mean really, you could just look away if it offends you or go sit with other people who like wearing clothes.

Clearly, this is an unnecessarily heated subject. My words are not meant rudely, though I know in type it is hard to see that. It would be an interesting discussion to have in person. I hear your words and they are meaningful; I'm just trying to present the other side of the coin. Those are my last two cents and I am respectfully bowing out :)

Great idea "Nude Dining Night!"......I can hardly to wait to see the photos....:)

No need to explain yourself. No problem understanding it. What you said is right on the money.

The 4 or 5 that complain and insist that the rules be changed for them, and still give detailed explanations as to why their point should be validated.

Its hilarious. :)

No need to explain yourself. No problem understanding it. What you said is right on the money.

The 4 or 5 that complain and insist that the rules be changed for them, and still give detailed explanations as to why their point should be validated.

Its hilarious. :)

I thought it was 13? :p

Yes, the fun of formal wear threads. Prepare to be called the "formal wear police" and to be insulted by the same little bunch who love to wave their pitchforks. Even if you don't really much care what anyone wears and will leave the policing to Princess, you will still get on their list and hear about it. I expect this post to be answered (if it's here for any length of time) by the usual suspect(s), hissing that I opened the thread in the first place because I have no life (which is rich coming from someone who always opens the threads to tell everyone else they are obsessed.) So, RhiaFly, welcome to CC and the hilarious spectacle of formal wear fights. There will be at least one a week, sometimes more.

The usual suspect(s) should arrive to whine in about 10, 9, 8, 7... :D