Princess Formal Nights

MissCruiseAddict

Question... does Princess require men to wear jackets on formal nights? My dad and brother don't want to have to take them if they don't need to, they would rather wear dress shirts and ties and slacks. The other nights they are wearing polos and Kahkis.

Thanks.

What they are planning to wear for formal nights will be absolutely fine. :)

I wonder if this topic should be a sticky thread since the question is asked just about twice a week (before the thread devolves into a food fight.) There has been a sticky for smoking, another controversial topic. (This post will doubtless be deleted since it is, strictly speaking, not on topic, which was the narrow question asked by OP.)

I wonder if this topic should be a sticky thread since the question is asked just about twice a week (before the thread devolves into a food fight.) There has been a sticky for smoking, another controversial topic. (This post will doubtless be deleted since it is, strictly speaking, not on topic, which was the narrow question asked by OP.)

Good point.

On our first cruise my DH took a tux. After that, he took a tie, dress shirt, and sports jacket. Now, no tie, a nice collared polo shirt, and a sports jacket. Sometimes, not even the jacket depending on how hot/cold the dining room is. You'll see some dressed really really formal, and they do look amazing. Love just looking at them. But you'll see just as many dressed like your men want to dress. :)

I am surprised that Celebrity beat Princess to the no formal night switch, now called "Chic" night on Celebrity. I would bet within 2 years probably less, Princess's formal night will be redesignated as well.

I'm surprised that Holland beat Princess as well.

Anyone heard any more on the survey from Princess about changing to something like Celebrity/Holland?

I am glad to hear that it is okay to be a little less formal on formal nights!

My husband actually would not mind looking super sharp. And, we thought about looking for a sharp white dinner jacket. Since we are not as young as we used to be, he is exploring a more mature/sophisticated style. He will wear his Johnston and Murphy's to run to Walmart!

For our trip to Alaska, a cooler climate cruise, trying to pack and get everything one might want/need into suitcases and into a tiny cabin can be a challenge!

I think I will try to tell my husband that he doesn't have to go that far.

Question... does Princess require men to wear jackets on formal nights? My dad and brother don't want to have to take them if they don't need to, they would rather wear dress shirts and ties and slacks. The other nights they are wearing polos and Kahkis.

Thanks.

Cool thanks guys! By all means, they aren't slobs but they are the type that only wear suits and ties for weddings and funerals and important work meetings.

They will be fine. :)

For once we agree. Have made the suggestion of making it a sticky several times to no avail. Guess some just like to see the controversy go on and on.

My husband actually would not mind looking super sharp. And, we thought about looking for a sharp white dinner jacket. Since we are not as young as we used to be, he is exploring a more mature/sophisticated style. He will wear his Johnston and Murphy's to run to Walmart!

He is RIGHT to look at a white dinner jacket for the tropical cruises. I acquired one last year and love the look and style in the Caribbean (see pic). My Rachel loves it as well. And I'm 74, so it works for us "mature guys" especially well. (It goes well with the grey hair, imo.) :cool:

...Sometimes, not even the jacket depending on how hot/cold the dining room is. You'll see some dressed really really formal, and they do look amazing. Love just looking at them. But you'll see just as many dressed like your men want to dress. :)
You really have the answer here. Dressed per the guidelines and "they look amazing". And why wouldn't they look amazing for you on these 2 evenings?

Is some business meeting more important?

My recommendation is that, if you are going traditional dining, wear the suit jackets. If Anytime dining it is your call.

Thanks.

We have nothing but leathers and jeans. Will not be doing monkey suits this weekend on the Caribbean ship.

You really have the answer here. Dressed per the guidelines and "they look amazing". And why wouldn't they look amazing for you on these 2 evenings?

Is some business meeting more important?

My recommendation is that, if you are going traditional dining, wear the suit jackets. If Anytime dining it is your call.

Why does TD vs AD make a difference in dress?