Princess Formal Nights

MissCruiseAddict

So, I have heard that Alaska cruises are less formal than Caribbean cruises. Is that true? What will the majority of men be wearing for formal nights considering limited packing space?

We find Princess cruise to Alaska the same as any other cruise and treat it accordingly.

Everyone who flies has limited packing space.

Why???

Simply because it would be nice if they dedicated one DR formal & the other casual every evening. But they won't since some people would feel cheated.

So, I have heard that Alaska cruises are less formal than Caribbean cruises. Is that true? What will the majority of men be wearing for formal nights considering limited packing space?

They are because of more limited packing space if nothing else. The first thing to be eliminated from a suitcase is the hardly used items & that happens to be formal clothing which is replaced by the heavier warmer clothing which can be used throughout the trip.

Our experience last year on a Princess Alaska voyage was the formal nights were anything but formal....some guys were wearing flannel shirts and hiking pants on formal night....I guess they were expressing their inner lumberjack!!!

Our experience last year on a Princess Alaska voyage was the formal nights were anything but formal....some guys were wearing flannel shirts and hiking pants on formal night....I guess they were expressing their inner lumberjack!!!

Alaska cruises are the least formal among the ones we have done. Even I went DOWN, to a sport coat and no tie.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers
typo

Simply because it would be nice if they dedicated one DR formal & the other casual every evening. But they won't since some people would feel cheated.

They are because of more limited packing space if nothing else. The first thing to be eliminated from a suitcase is the hardly used items & that happens to be formal clothing which is replaced by the heavier warmer clothing which can be used throughout the trip.

Would be nice for who? Or maybe instead of feeling cheated they would feel upset because of the long lines i one or the other of the dining rooms each night? Why are there not more formal cloths visible on night other than formal nights? No one stops anyone from wearing them every night of the cruise. Do they feel cheated because of it?

What is formal wear for a lumberjack?

Segregating the dining rooms has been suggested multiple times. Those who prefer formal nights always reject the idea. I don't think the rejection stems from a feeling of being cheated. I think those who prefer formal nights reject the concept because they fear that would only demonstrate that the overwhelming majority would prefer casual dining.

I guess we are old fashioned, Formal night means "Formal." My husband ALWAYS wears a nice black suit with a tie. If you don't like formal nights you should go to the specialty restaurants or the Horizon Court on those nights.

Polo shirt not appropriate for Formal Night, just saying... Come on folks, dining on a cruise is not like going to Home Town Buffet!

I guess we are old fashioned, Formal night means "Formal." My husband ALWAYS wears a nice black suit with a tie. If you don't like formal nights you should go to the specialty restaurants or the Horizon Court on those nights.

Polo shirt not appropriate for Formal Night, just saying... Come on folks, dining on a cruise is not like going to Home Town Buffet!

Or, you could just enjoy your evening in your black suit and tie and let others enjoy their evening in their polo shirts. There is plenty of room in the dining room for both.

So Princess says it is OK by allowing people dressed not in Tuxedos into the dining rooms. So,why do you think you are important enough to interprete who is allowed in and who you get to tell to eat other where? Black suit and Tie for men and pants suits and glitter tops are not Formal for women so I guess they should eat elsewhere too. The MDR would be very empty then and there would be lines at the Buffets filled with angry people. Let us know which ship will STRICTLY enforce the guidelines so we can request the videos.

By the way dining on a cruise is also not like attending a White House dinner either.

Edited by Potstech

Would be nice for who? Or maybe instead of feeling cheated they would feel upset because of the long lines i one or the other of the dining rooms each night? Why are there not more formal cloths visible on night other than formal nights? No one stops anyone from wearing them every night of the cruise. Do they feel cheated because of it?

Segregating the dining rooms has been suggested multiple times. Those who prefer formal nights always reject the idea. I don't think the rejection stems from a feeling of being cheated. I think those who prefer formal nights reject the concept because they fear that would only demonstrate that the overwhelming majority would prefer casual dining.

I only mentioned "cheated" because of what others posted in the past.

Clothing doesn't affect me one way or the other as long as the service & food quality are decent.

If Princess even does decide to go the route of dressing down like most of the other cruise lines I personally believe it's the next step by segregating the dining rooms to cause the least controversy and loss of potential business among the passengers.

Last week on the Regal I was nearly turned away on formal night because I was wearing a short sleeved dress shirt and slacks. The maitre d asked if I had a jacket or sweater or long sleeved shirt. When I said I didn't he reluctantly seated us. Out of respect for the system, we skipped the next formal night.

I agree, you are old fashion. But telling someone to go to the buffet if they don't dress the way you want is rude.

More like Olive Garden.....

I agree, you are old fashion. But telling someone to go to the buffet if they don't dress the way you want is rude.

Why not have half the formal nights in the buffet? If the buffet is adequate for those who prefer casual dress, then it also should be adequate for those who prefer formal dress.