We need a new ship in Boston!!!!!

hladygirl

Seems possible, but perhaps Boston and/or NYC will have to wait until after the aways for one of the new slightly smaller ships in later years. Which ship would replace the Gem in NYC? The Dawn?

The Gem is already out of NYC. The Escape is sailing in and taking the Breakaway's itineraries, and the Breakaway is taking the Gem's. I believe the Gem will be homeporting somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.

• 4 months later...
I am going on the Gem in the summer and hopefully we will like it enough to book it in our home port of Boston. I wish someday we have ships ported their year round. I will love a 9 day cruise to Bahamas from Boston.

Ah... we wish they'd have 2 week winter cruises from Boston, and go further south, rather than just to the Bahamas.

They've got that cruise in October, 2018, but I fear too many people who *might* have gone, might not now go, because of the hurricane damage.

But in the future, hopefully that will all get cleaned up.

Point is, any lack of enthusiasm in 2018 might not mean no interest further in the future.

(We were booked, along with family, for the Oct, 2018 to the Caribbean, and we canceled. We know that some of the things we wanted to do were badly affected, so we'd rather wait. But we discovered those places/activities when sailing from Miami, and we aren't that interested in the air travel if it can be avoided.)

Also, a ship with a Haven would be especially of interest to us. We've gotten spoiled :)

GC

Ah... we wish they'd have 2 week winter cruises from Boston, and go further south, rather than just to the Bahamas.

They've got that cruise in October, 2018, but I fear too many people who *might* have gone, might not now go, because of the hurricane damage.

But in the future, hopefully that will all get cleaned up.

Point is, any lack of enthusiasm in 2018 might not mean no interest further in the future.

(We were booked, along with family, for the Oct, 2018 to the Caribbean, and we canceled. We know that some of the things we wanted to do were badly affected, so we'd rather wait. But we discovered those places/activities when sailing from Miami, and we aren't that interested in the air travel if it can be avoided.)

Also, a ship with a Haven would be especially of interest to us. We've gotten spoiled :)

GC

Like this one on GEM from Boston?

14-Day Southern Caribbean from Boston

View All Ports Print Itinerary

Date Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Fri, Oct 25, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sat, Oct 26, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Sun, Oct 27, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Oct 28, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Oct 29, 2019 St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed, Oct 30, 2019 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu, Oct 31, 2019 St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Fri, Nov 01, 2019 Bridgetown, Barbados 9:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat, Nov 02, 2019 Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun, Nov 03, 2019 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon, Nov 04, 2019 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Tue, Nov 05, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Wed, Nov 06, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Thu, Nov 07, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Fri, Nov 08, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (DISEMBARK)

Like this one on GEM from Boston?

14-Day Southern Caribbean from Boston

Fri, Oct 25, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sat, Oct 26, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Sun, Oct 27, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Oct 28, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Oct 29, 2019 St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed, Oct 30, 2019 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu, Oct 31, 2019 St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Fri, Nov 01, 2019 Bridgetown, Barbados 9:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat, Nov 02, 2019 Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun, Nov 03, 2019 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon, Nov 04, 2019 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Tue, Nov 05, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Wed, Nov 06, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Thu, Nov 07, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Fri, Nov 08, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (DISEMBARK)

Yup, that would be the one!!! :D :D :D

Just after posting, I went to look, and I've already sent an email to our NCL rep, who had booked us for Bermuda.

But the two week to SOUTH Caribbean! It isn't even that much more expensive than the one week to Bermuda, and for twice the time.

Thanks so much for the heads' up in case we had not already figured it out.

Hopefully there will be many reservations, and NCL will do more.

NOT having to deal with airports/airplanes is SUCH a nice "touch".

(Or, "lack of a horrible touch"?? :mad: )

Happy Holidays!

GC

Yup, that would be the one!!! :D :D :D

Just after posting, I went to look, and I've already sent an email to our NCL rep, who had booked us for Bermuda.

But the two week to SOUTH Caribbean! It isn't even that much more expensive than the one week to Bermuda, and for twice the time.

Thanks so much for the heads' up in case we had not already figured it out.

Hopefully there will be many reservations, and NCL will do more.

NOT having to deal with airports/airplanes is SUCH a nice "touch".

(Or, "lack of a horrible touch"?? :mad: )

Happy Holidays!

GC

WOW

Just found a later cruise out of Boston Too.

13-Day Southern Caribbean from Boston

Fri, Nov 08, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sat, Nov 09, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Sun, Nov 10, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Nov 11, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Nov 12, 2019 St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed, Nov 13, 2019 St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu, Nov 14, 2019 Bridgetown, Barbados 9:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat, Nov 16, 2019 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun, Nov 17, 2019 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon, Nov 18, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Nov 19, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Wed, Nov 20, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Thu, Nov 21, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (DISEMBARK)

So glad it is the Gem and not theEpic coming to Boston!

Right... ANYTHING but the Epic!

And not a mega-ship, either.

Also just read comment above about how mega-ships can get into port.

Fine with us!

We loved the Pearl, and hope the Gem truly is similar.

Any other nice warm - and lengthy - cruises lurking? :D

GC

WOW

Just found a later cruise out of Boston Too.

13-Day Southern Caribbean from Boston

Fri, Nov 08, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sat, Nov 09, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Sun, Nov 10, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Nov 11, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Nov 12, 2019 St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed, Nov 13, 2019 St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu, Nov 14, 2019 Bridgetown, Barbados 9:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri, Nov 15, 2019 Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat, Nov 16, 2019 Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun, Nov 17, 2019 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Mon, Nov 18, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Tue, Nov 19, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Wed, Nov 20, 2019 At Sea --- ---

Thu, Nov 21, 2019 Boston, Massachusetts (DISEMBARK)

Thanks.

I obviously didn't do my proper homework when searching before.

I wish they'd have something mid-winter, when one really, really wants to escape the cold. Of course, it would be frigid on deck for the first few/last few days. But the first few, we'd probably sleep a lot. That's what long vacations are for, right? ;)

There just aren't many other destinations from Boston, but they could mix and match some of the Caribbean islands, and perhaps include some less frequently visited. I saw an email mentioning some new Caribbean destinations, but haven't read through yet. It would be nice to have other than same old/same old.

There is another cruise line we love, but the itineraries seem to be almost identical all the time. (*I* don't mind, as the "trip on the ship" is fine as a "destination" for me, but not everyone agrees with me on that...)

I know there are more choices with the repos, but then there is still one flight.

I guess we should look at those a bit more. And arrange it so that Boston is the destination, so we don't have a nasty flight at the end, to ruin the relaxation.

And in the future, starting in 2019, those repos will be on the Gem, not the Dawn.

Nice.

Are there any major differences between the Pearl and the Gem?

Thanks.

GC

I have been on the Dawn 5 times and although it is a nice ship , I am tired of it. We need something different in Boston to sail on. I love NCL and want to continue to book with them. I love to leave out of Boston since I live so close. Love their repo cruises in the fall, but I am so sick of the Dawn! I am now platinum with ncl but am looking at other cruise lines out of Boston just to have something different to look forward to. Come on NCL mix it up! RCL has a repo this fall out of Boston and the itinerary is much better. Price might be a little higher but just having a different ship will be worth it. FYI- The spirit is my favorite ship. she was awesome out of Boston.

You will get the Gem in 2019 we will get the Dawn and the Escape, we are happy about that, We love the Gem but also would like to try out the Dawn without having to fly to do it.

Marion

I want a cruise ship from any line to sail out of Chicago so I could drive to the port, but that isn't going to happen.

Is there a ferry to Michigan in the summer, or are those only from Wisconsin? ;)

That was my first "cruise", back in 1962, unless one counts the Staten Island Ferry during the previous decade...

GC

Is there a ferry to Michigan in the summer, or are those only from Wisconsin? ;)

That was my first "cruise", back in 1962, unless one counts the Staten Island Ferry during the previous decade...

GC

A ferry boat is a far cry from a cruise ship. The OP complained about having the same ship near her home port. I don't have any, so it was my attempt at humor wishing to board a cruise ship out of Chicago.

A ferry boat is a far cry from a cruise ship. The OP complained about having the same ship near her home port. I don't have any, so it was my attempt at humor wishing to board a cruise ship out of Chicago.

And the Lake Michigan ferry was *my* attempt at humor.

Happy Holidays.

GC

Being a newbie, I didn't mention this...but I couldn't believe it would be the Epic bc the Boston port agent told me that Boston isn't deep enough to port a bigger ship. The mega ships can only tender into Boston.

Not sure what Port agent you spoke to, but that is simply not true, at least from a Harbor standpoint. We have massive ships coming in and out all day every day (my office has a view of the airport and the entire inner harbor so I can see the activity all day).

I have seen the RCL Anthem and other similar size cruise ships here as well. I think the limitation is not the harbor or the piers themselves (which are in much better shape than NYC -- in my opinion), but the relatively small black falcon terminal and the lack of large tourist cruising infrastructure down in the seaport. Some have mentioned possibly going to a forced arrival time staggered approach to support larger ships, but as a Bostonian, I just don't think that would work.

Black Falcon is essentially an add on to centuries old commercial shipping operations. The fact that it is located smack dab in the middle of the hottest real estate area in Boston right now also means getting around the area is getting more and more difficult. Just the other day I had a arbitration hearing down in that area. It took me 1 hour to make it back to my condo ... which was a little over a mile away in the financial district. I would typically walk but it was pouring rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doesn't that small line Pearl stop in Chicago?