Drones in Bermuda

Rysyonok

Is it legal for tourists to bring over and use drones in Bermuda?

I see that residents have to pay thousands and carry insurance of over a million dollars (http://www.dca.gov.bm/Operations/Drones%20Documents/Unmanned%20Aerial%20Vehicles%20FAQ%20ad%20%286x11%29%20RG.pdf).

And as I read that, I'm looking at a sale ad for a camera drone for only $39.

$39 to buy, $3200 to operate. Is this for real?

Is it legal for tourists to bring over and use drones in Bermuda?

I see that residents have to pay thousands and carry insurance of over a million dollars (http://www.dca.gov.bm/Operations/Drones%20Documents/Unmanned%20Aerial%20Vehicles%20FAQ%20ad%20%286x11%29%20RG.pdf).

And as I read that, I'm looking at a sale ad for a camera drone for only $39.

$39 to buy, $3200 to operate. Is this for real?

It looks real to me. I guess the question would be if they would allow tourists to fly a drone if they paid the fees and had the insurance. Hopefully the requirements are too steep for tourists to bring drones. Thank you for posting the link. I am bookmarking it. No doubt your question will be asked again.

Edited by Charles4515

I hope the licensing and insurance costs are real. Bermuda needs drones about as much as it needs zip lines, a branch of Senor Frogs, Diamonds International, and nude beaches.

I stongly agree about drones, Señor Frogs and Diamond International. Zip Lines and Nude Beaches, I would be ambivalent about.

I might say yes for a zip line to a nude beach, except there are no mountains in Bermuda and the citizens might show up at the nude beach with pitchforks and torches. I guess I'll just have to continue to enjoy what's really there---you know, a prosperous community with charming people.

I'm pretty sure that a few years ago someone proposed building a zip line at Dockyard.

It was proposed and approved in 2012. But it has never been built. There is a mobile zip line. It was set up at the Harbour Night I went to in 2014. No sign of it at the Harbour Night I attended in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

It was proposed and approved in 2012. But it has never been built. There is a mobile zip line. It was set up at the Harbour Night I went to in 2014. No sign of it at the Harbour Night I attended in 2015.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20160305/NEWS/160309804

It was just announced that a permanent zip line will be installed at Dockyard.

Plus a "pirate show" put on by Calico Jack's bar...just what is needed :rolleyes:

Possibly a helium balloon...something else people have been longing for :rolleyes:

A new jewelry store. Is this the rumored Diamonds International ?

On a more positive note enhancements to historical re-enactment and walking tour as well as Dolphin Quest.

I just hope long term plans don't include making Bermuda into a Caribbean island clone. What makes Bermuda Bermuda is that it isn't.

I guess they want to make the Dockyard more of a destination and give passengers something to do there. I hope the zip line is not something that is going to be an eyesore. Sounds like the plans are to make the Dockyard more like what passengers get in the Caribbean.

Edited by Charles4515

I've heard of hoverboards having problems with batteries catching fire, but not drones. For example airlines have banned hoverboards but AFAIK not drones.

There have been some reports of drones catching fire. Also that airlines are considering banning them.

There have been some reports of drones catching fire. Also that airlines are considering banning them.

Lithium-ion batteries used in anything... or even uninstalled spares can catch fire. That's why spare lithium ion batteries are not permitted in checked luggage...but they are permitted in carry on luggage. I can't find any evidence of a major airline banning drones because their batteries are much smaller and less powerful than those used in hoverboards.

Edited by njhorseman