Raising prices again-This time SDP

leeker13

Have they?

Yup. On our last cruise, we happened to witness a man that ... Well... Had an impressive appetite.

The only reason I know is be caused he voiced his discontent very clearly, to the point of having the Maitre D' intervene.

Lo and behold... It was written in black and white on the menu. No extras. But then again, there's no way I can even finish the regular serving.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_STEAKHOUSE_Web_Epic_051613.pdf

To this day, I still can't figure out how one person could possibly wolf down extra appetizers / desserts in one seating without remembering a scene from a Monty Python movie :eek:

The freestyle concept is being stretched. Especially on the mega ships. The reservations for dining and shows imo take away from the freestyle.

I agree. My biggest complaint with specialty is the set times, and I hate that I can't just pick which time I go to a show. I still enjoy my cruise though, just could enjoy it more...

I agree. My biggest complaint with specialty is the set times, and I hate that I can't just pick which time I go to a show. I still enjoy my cruise though, just could enjoy it more...

You actually can, just remember that if 1,000 people pick the same time that you pick to go to a show that only seats 800 people then those how made reservations get first dibs. It is 100% unrealistic to assume that you can show up at any time you please and there will always be a seat for you.

The new management have brought in some fresh new MBA's who think that they are smarter than us by raising prices on the back end. The problem is that NCl pricing is surpassing many of the other lines now who offer better ships.

Actually no. They have most of the same senior group running the show. The biggest difference is Andy is at the top now. He has a grand vision for NCL to compete with Celebrity and all inclusives.

You actually can, just remember that if 1,000 people pick the same time that you pick to go to a show that only seats 800 people then those how made reservations get first dibs. It is 100% unrealistic to assume that you can show up at any time you please and there will always be a seat for you.

We have been doing just that, showing up 10 to 15 minutes before a show on cruise lines for over a decade and always got a seat.

Yup. On our last cruise, we happened to witness a man that ... Well... Had an impressive appetite.

The only reason I know is be caused he voiced his discontent very clearly, to the point of having the Maitre D' intervene.

Lo and behold... It was written in black and white on the menu. No extras. But then again, there's no way I can even finish the regular serving.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_STEAKHOUSE_Web_Epic_051613.pdf

To this day, I still can't figure out how one person could possibly wolf down extra appetizers / desserts in one seating without remembering a scene from a Monty Python movie :eek:

The menu you have linked is one with a fixed cover charge. Experience with the a la carte one has been that multiple apps and deserts are allowed with the SDP.

I don't know whether the person you encountered had a package or had paid the charge (or if that matters).

It would have been good if the person who said they were changing had given some further information.

It may be that NCL have made a change, or that some onboard staff are interpreting the rules differently (whether correctly or not we don't know).

Certainly a couple of people have posted things on here lately that suggest a change may be incurring, but when asked they haven't given any further information so it really is just muddying the waters.

We have been doing just that, showing up 10 to 15 minutes before a show on cruise lines for over a decade and always got a seat.

LOL that 100% contradicts the last post you made saying "I hate that I can't just pick which time I go to a show"... :rolleyes:

According to NCL's website, the price is $10 more onboard: https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

Onboard, the 3 meal package is over $90 when you include the 18%!

Not sure why anybody thinking about it would wait to book onboard. The only reason I can think of is that they could use OBC. But, they didn't pay for that anyway.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

News I heard from my TA.

PACKAGE PRICE UPDATES:

On February 26th, we updated the price of the Beverage and Dining Packages, updates are as follows:

Specialty Dining Packages increasing by $10 per person per day

Ultimate Beverage Package pricing is changing from $69 per person/ day to $79 per person/ day

Corks & Caps pricing is changing from $54 per person/ day to $59 per person/ day

No Price Change to Soda Packages

*The price cap for drinks that qualify remains at $15/drink. An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to price at time of purchase.

Pricing updates will be rolled out across the fleet as follows:

Sky- 2/26/2016- Specialty Dining Package only - Beverage price change does not apply - Sky is Open Bar

Escape-2/27/2016

Jade- 2/27/2016

Spirit- 2/27/2016

Sun- 2/27/2016

Breakaway- 2/28/2016

Dawn- 2/28/2016

Getaway-2/28/2016

Star- 2/28/2016

Jewel- 2/28/2016

Gem- 3/2/2016

Pearl- 3/5/2016

Epic- 3/6/2016

Pride of America- 3/15/2016 - Specialty Dining Package only - Pride of America does not offer Ultimate Beverage package or Corks & Caps.

They are clearly looking at the numbers when making these decision. They are going to continue to raise prices until the math works out so that they are making a profit. Clearly at the prices they were charging they were not breaking even or making a profit so the price has to go up.

This may have already been stated, but the increase of $10 pp per day, on the SDP is wrong. It's even reported wrong in USA today. It looks like it's $10 pp for the SDP taken. As an example the 7 SDP was $119. It's now $129.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

This may have already been stated, but the increase of $10 pp per day, on the SDP is wrong. It's even reported wrong in USA today. It looks like it's $10 pp for the SDP taken.

In which case, it appears the CruiseCritic article misstated the change as well.

(4:50 p.m. EST) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has raised the prices of its dining and Ultimate Beverage packages each by $10 per person, per day.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6844

This may have already been stated, but the increase of $10 pp per day, on the SDP is wrong. It's even reported wrong in USA today. It looks like it's $10 pp for the SDP taken. As an example the 7 SDP was $119. It's now $129.

It would appear the comparison below confirms this. It's certainly being misstated in a lot of places.

2mmigwn.jpg

Edited by TheDougOut

You do know that if the above is correct, if you purchase it on line prior to your cruise, you can still get it for the old price, as they give you a $10 discount.

Where are you seeing that? When I try to add online, the price appears to be the new price + 18%.

Edit: In regards to accuracy, both photos were grabbed from NCL's site...

Current Pricing...

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

Cached Current Pricing from September 2015...

http://web.archive.org/web/20150906083522/https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

Edited by TheDougOut

Where are you seeing that? When I try to add online, the price appears to be the new price + 18%.
Sorry, I just realized that I read it wrong, it says:

Save by purchasing in advance. Above prices reflect a Special Online Pre-Purchase Price of $10 off the original price.

Edited by NLH Arizona

They are clearly looking at the numbers when making these decision. They are going to continue to raise prices until the math works out so that they are making a profit. Clearly at the prices they were charging they were not breaking even or making a profit so the price has to go up.

Very poor logic. You do not have a good grasp of economics. In econ the objective is to reach maximization. This does not always (and fact rarely does it) mean making the most sales. It means finding the price point at which you reach the maximum profit (per unit profit x sales). You can easily be making a profit of any given amount and still not be at maximization. If you economics dictates that you continue to adjust pricing up and/or down) until maximization is established.

I think you are correct, they have to find that sweet spot and they can do it in two ways. They can either raise the prices or limit the amount of food that one can eat under the package (limit to one appetizer, one soup, one entree and one dessert). I think raising the prices is the lesser, as far as consumer outcry, of the two.

The dinning packages went up with no notification at all. That is very frustrating. Every time I turn around they are raising the price on something else.

As a long time Platinum cruiser on NCL, I have sailed on their ships for the last time. They are a shadow of the cruiseline I first sailed out of New York on the Norwegian Dawn. Since then, the price increases on dining, gratuities, service charges have been endless.

A recent article in the Fort Lauderdale Sentinel said NCL profits are up due to "increased on board revenue." The new CEO is earning his salary and the stock price is also up. NCL seems to care little about their veteran cruisers, they are more concerned with the new passengers who are ignorant of what a bargain freestyle cruising was in former years. How long before they suffer the same fate?

Whatever happened to a cruise being an "all-inclusive" vacation? Gone forever. So am I!

" The new CEO is earning his salary and the stock price is also up. NCL seems to care little about their veteran cruisers, they are more concerned with the new passengers who are ignorant of what a bargain freestyle cruising was in former years. How long before they suffer the same fate?

Whatever happened to a cruise being an "all-inclusive" vacation? Gone forever. So am I!

Can you blame D R? Look at the big picture. Why would NCL want to stay with budget minded cruisers when there are others out there willing to pay more, complain less and have fistful of Chinese money to spend? Truth is, if shareholders are happy, so is NCL.

LOL that 100% contradicts the last post you made saying "I hate that I can't just pick which time I go to a show"... :rolleyes:

On Ncl Pearl, Jewel, PoAm, Jade, Celebrity, plus more you could just "show up" to the show. On Escape, Getaway and Epic we have to book our shows in advance. I'm now rolling my eyes back at you or assuming you are a cruise newbie. ;)

I hate to break everyone's hearts but NCL isn't the only cruise line to do this. Disney's prices went up at least 8% (someone can correct me, I think it was significantly more, I seem to remember it was higher than inflation) and they raised prices on the nursery, speciality dining, and their alcohol packages... which is exactly why my family decided to try NCL. It just shows the demand for cruising is going up, and with it, all cruise lines feel they can charge more for the same product.

The percent of price increase on Disney varies by ship & sailing. It's less for some. More for others. Holidays? Forgetaboutit! I soooo wouldn't!

Disney doensn't even offer actual alcohol packages as other lines do. I wish they did. I've written onto comment cards since 2014: offer me all-inclusive adult beverage packages and I will buy. Here's my money. TAKE IT! Yet, they won't go there. Disney has a couple wine packages that apply in the various dining rooms, beer stateroom delivery packages, and the beer mug. None of these I would refer to as an 'alcohol package'. The wine IMO is a total rip off. I know what those bottles cost. No frickin' way. Beer is the same. That's at the lower prices. Can you tell I'm not a fan? I always justified it with their generous carry-on policy but with that gone it's been a huge point of contention for me. Sorry for the tangent. ;)

Even with these price increases on NCL, I still see them as a good option especially for my family now that our boys are both aged-out of youth programming. I describe it to my Disney-centric friends as an entirely different pricing structure. With NCL you get lower cruise fares that have the potential to be all-inclusive. There are options that you customize to what each cruiser wants. You end up customizing your experience and paying for exactly what you want. Even after paying the service fees on the "free perks"....even after paying OOP for my 3rd & 4th people to have the 4-night SDP...even after paying for a soda package....even adding in our excursion expenses....we're still getting 2 weeks b2b sailing NCL Escape balcony (BB) for about what 1 week on DCL Fantasy (cat 5) would cost us. Travel expenses are a wash.

I know it's frustrating to the NCL fans. I know how I feel when Disney pushes the envelope of what I'm accustomed to with them. I can empathize. Truly. Why do you think I'm here? As a newer NCL guest my opinions are limited. And, YES, it's been sooooo frustrating seeing so much change in such a short period of time!!!!! But, I'm trying to keep perspective. I'm still getting 2 weeks for a great price overall.

As to the subject at-hand, the raising of the SDP: DANGIT!!!! I held off buying the 4-meal plan for my 3rd/4th passengers on our 2nd leg of the b2b. Ugh! Definitely risky business to put off pre-paying things with NCL. Yet another lesson learned! Gah!