I'm freaking out, help

angel3401

He does have a color copy of his license, Carnival said they do not accept paper copies. He called Homeland Security and they said they will accept the BC, dmv printout and copy of DL. Hopefully it all works out.

I bet if you called Carnival 6 times and spoke to 6 agents you'd get several different answers on not accepting a paper copy. That doesn't make sense.

Assuming you live within driving distance?

Early Check in starts at 9:30, arrive early enough that any help can be used.

Have him bring anything that he thinks will help.

Carry on his luggage, do not check it in with the porters.

Thanks, I did not know that Early check in started that early, we will plan on getting there by 11am. I really hope they let him on, we would feel so bad to leave without him

HE did call carnival, but California doesnt print DLs copy with pictures, go guess what rude person, he will have to call carnival and ask.

I called 3 different times and did get different answers, but all of them said that they do not accept paper copies. The last person said its ultimately up to homeland security. Homeland did say that what he has should be good enough. The last Carnival rep I spoke to said for him to not get off the ship since he would not have an ID to get back on. We'll be getting to the port extra early and hopefully it all works out.

The color paper copy is of his current license, hopefully it works.

Is the DMV close enough and willing for him to go pick it up and not be shipped?

In California, driver's licenses, as well as state IDs, are processed through the same system.

The only way to get the final product is through the mail. It generally takes 4-6 weeks at best to get it.

If my reading skills are working, Friend has:

Birth Certificate

A valid paper drivers license

A color copy of lost drivers license

Assuming the info on the lost and current license is the same, why would this not work? He has a copy of a government issued photo ID validated by the current paper copy.

For goodness sake, they accept copies of birth certificates.

I called 3 different times and did get different answers, but all of them said that they do not accept paper copies. The last person said its ultimately up to homeland security. Homeland did say that what he has should be good enough. The last Carnival rep I spoke to said for him to not get off the ship since he would not have an ID to get back on. We'll be getting to the port extra early and hopefully it all works out.

The color paper copy is of his current license, hopefully it works.

Well that Carnival Rep sounds silly. he will have a Sail and Sign card to get on and off the ship in port. What 50% of the people carry as their only bit of identification.

I don't understand the Homeland Security bit though. They aren't the ones checking you onto the cruise...

TRAVEL DOCUMENTATION: U.S. CITIZENS

Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using Online Check-in, it is still the responsibility of the guest to present the required travel documents at the time of embarkation. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.

Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel-unless otherwise noted differently). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of embarkation and allow guests who must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications.

Europe and Transatlantic Cruises

Guests are required to carry a valid, unexpired U.S. passport. Carnival recommends that it is valid for at least 6 months beyond the completion of travel. For cruises visiting Croatia, guests must carry a passport valid for at least three months beyond the date of their visit to Croatia.

Domestic Cruises (including Canada)

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If the cruise includes air travel to/from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S passport is required. I like this here in addition to the Air Travel below as it reaffirms this to the guests

U.S. Passport | Passport Card | State Enhanced Driver's License | Certificate of U.S. Naturalization | Native American Indians | Unacceptable forms of documentation

Also acceptable for cruise travel, U.S. Citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency accompanied by a government issued photo I.D.

Air Travel

All persons are required to carry a valid, unexpired U.S. passport for all air travel to or from the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. (San Juan, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands: St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix).

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest's full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest's non-expired government-issued photo I.D. they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest's photo I.D. as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation (original or clear, legible copy)supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is in the maiden name, documentation (original or clear, legible copy) supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denial of boarding.

Since our reservation systems do not accept middle names, the middle name must be included during the Check-In process.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents (or legal guardians) are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) (or legal guardians) authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Citizens of U.S. Territories and Commonwealth

Guests will follow the same Travel Documentation Requirements. U.S. Territories and Commonwealth include: Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix and St. John), America Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Valid U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens may present a valid, unexpired U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea.

Guests may apply for passports at more than 4500 passport-acceptance facilities nationwide (passport agencies, clerks of court, post offices and public libraries). For information about U.S. Passports, visit http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports.html

The Passport Card

The passport card cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

U.S. citizens may present the new, limited-use, wallet-size passport card. The passport card will only be valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region and Bermuda.

State Enhanced Driver's Licenses (EDL)

The EDL cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Several states are working with the Department of Homeland Security to develop EDLs for U.S. citizens residing in their states. These documents will denote both citizenship and identity and will facilitate the entry process at land and sea ports of entry. The word 'Enhanced' must appear on the license. The following states issue this type of WHTI-compliant document: Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington.

Original Certificate of U.S. Naturalization and a Government-Issued Photo I.D.

The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization (form N-550 or N-570) is a document issued by the U.S. government (USCIS) as proof of a foreign born person who has obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization (a legal process of obtaining a new nationality).

Native American Indians

These cards cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

Native American Indian Tribal Documents with affixed Photo I.D.

Kootenai Tribe Enhanced Tribal Card (ETC) with affixed Photo I.D.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

Copies of any WHTI-Compliant documents

Driver's License as the only proof

A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)

Voter's Registration Card

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only

Baptismal Papers

U.S. Military I.D. and a Photo I.D.

A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable

U.S. Military Discharge Papers

No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person

Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

Traveling with a Birth Certificate and Photo Identification

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

Internationally Adopted Children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.

Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: http://www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

AND

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver's License

Driver's Permit

School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Government-Issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

Edited by topofE

California paper (temporary) DL/ID clearly states that it is not a valid ID.

California is different than the other states.

Edited by SadieN

If my reading skills are working, Friend has:

Birth Certificate

A valid paper drivers license

A color copy of lost drivers license

Assuming the info on the lost and current license is the same, why would this not work? He has a copy of a government issued photo ID validated by the current paper copy.

For goodness sake, they accept copies of birth certificates.

Thats why I'm confused, they said they'll accept a dmv license printout but it must have a photo on it. California doesn't put photos on them. He has a color paper copy of his current license but Carnival says they don't accept paper copies. :confused:

Thats why I'm confused, they said they'll accept a dmv license printout but it must have a photo on it. California doesn't put photos on them. He has a color paper copy of his current license but Carnival says they don't accept paper copies. :confused:

It is going to be iffy, but I can tell you I know a lady that showed up with nothing as she had left her purse on her kitchen table 4 hours away. Her daughter in law went to her house and faxed everything and she got on the ship.

I would take what he has.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I would not expect any acceptance of what is NOT printed with the above guidelines. People seem to think "exceptions" are going to be just fine. They may or may not.

A lot of "opinions" given, won't matter one bit with the final result, if allowed on or not.

I would be very curious to know the circumstances in this day and age where someone without any actual proof of identity is allowed to board a cruise ship with over 3000 people on it without valid color photo proof.

There is no way someone boarded the ship with only faxes and if there was, I would hope Homeland Security would be all over someone coming into the US with no proper documentation and get on the captain for allowing someone to go to other countries without the proper documentation.

Sorry, not buying it.

I would be very curious to know the circumstances in this day and age where someone without any actual proof of identity is allowed to board a cruise ship with over 3000 people on it without valid color photo proof.

There is no way someone boarded the ship with only faxes and if there was, I would hope Homeland Security would be all over someone coming into the US with no proper documentation and get on the captain for allowing someone to go to other countries without the proper documentation.

Sorry, not buying it.

EVERYTHING was faxed and she got on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back in the day my brother and I would drive up to New York and tour the ships in port without any documentation. We just had to leave when they made the announcement that those not sailing would have to leave. Those were the days! Your friend can only blame those who are hell-bent to do harm to the US for his problem.

You stated earlier that DHS stated the documents he has in hand are "good enough." The only other thing I can add is to get that in writing on DHS letterhead to present to the agent checking him in. Carnival wants him on the ship and will do anything legal to make it happen.

Back in the day my brother and I would drive up to New York and tour the ships in port without any documentation. We just had to leave when they made the announcement that those not sailing would have to leave. Those were the days! Your friend can only blame those who are hell-bent to do harm to the US for his problem.

You stated earlier that DHS stated the documents he has in hand are "good enough." The only other thing I can add is to get that in writing on DHS letterhead to present to the agent checking him in. Carnival wants him on the ship and will do anything legal to make it happen.

I'm sure there are people who have lost there documents/passports a few days before a cruise. What do they do in California, its not possible to get any government identification in less than 3 weeks. We got a quote for a same day passport in Los Angeles and it cost $620. He is a first time cruiser so I'm sure it never crossed his mind to have a back up plan. Actually, he's never even been out of the state.

I'm sure there are people who have lost there documents/passports a few days before a cruise. What do they do in California, its not possible to get any government identification in less than 3 weeks. We got a quote for a same day passport in Los Angeles and it cost $620. He is a first time cruiser so I'm sure it never crossed his mind to have a back up plan. Actually, he's never even been out of the state.

In California, if you lose your ID, you wait for it. There's no way to speed it up. There was massive ID fraud a number of years ago, so the system was changed that everything must be done the way it is now, and IDs (drivers's licenses and state IDs) are mailed to the appropriate addresses only.

As you noted, same day passport is possible, but it's going to cost.

Edited by Shmoo here

Many years ago we went and had a notary prepare a picture ID for one of our children, not sure if they still do this. By putting their seal on it, it was official. Again, not sure if this is still a possibility.