Price Still Dropping

pdx13

more follow up and possible thread hijacking, apologies...

regarding the fares - if I search the web and click on a link that says BEST CRUISE PRICES EVER or WE CANT BE BEAT or so on - and if I do this dozens of times, which I have - i have yet to see a fare that is less than the very same fare offered on Seabourn's website, or within, say, 5%. Hardly earth shaking, in any case. (this is not the fantasy brochure fare, but the realistic what-you'll-probably-pay fare)

sooo am I to conclude from all of you that, if I deal directly with a (perhaps local) TA, I will easily beat these rates by a decent margin?

Our experience has been that a good TA, and I emphasize good, can not only consistently better the cruise line fare, but they often can offer other amenities, such as OBC. Plus, as was the case for us on our upcoming cruise, our TA was able to negotiate with the cruise line with much more leverage than we would have had when the price dropped several times. There are some very good TA's used by folks on CC and methods for getting recommendations despite the rules governing recommendations directly in posts. I would not recommend grabbing someone randomly off the internet when dealing with luxury cruise lines.

regarding the fares - if I search the web and click on a link that says BEST CRUISE PRICES EVER or WE CANT BE BEAT or so on - and if I do this dozens of times, which I have - i have yet to see a fare that is less than the very same fare offered on Seabourn's website, or within, say, 5%. Hardly earth shaking, in any case. (this is not the fantasy brochure fare, but the realistic what-you'll-probably-pay fare)

sooo am I to conclude from all of you that, if I deal directly with a (perhaps local) TA, I will easily beat these rates by a decent margin?

I can speak from experience that a good TA is much better $$$wise than dealing directly with Seabourn. Five years ago I decided to see what it would cost if I booked directly with Seabourn. Once I got their price I contacted a luxury TA in Texas (although I live in Canada) who had come highly recommended. Although they didn't improve on the price, I received a "rewards" cheque in the amount of $1,234.00 from the TA one week before departure. Since then I have booked all of my cruises through them. Not only do they provide their TA "rewards", they are also able to get onboard credits which might otherwise been unavailable. As well, they are the first to be notified when upgrades or upsells come available. Plus, as stated by another poster, they have much more influence with the cruise line than I would as an individual should there be a problem.

I can speak from experience that a good TA is much better $$$wise than dealing directly with Seabourn. Five years ago I decided to see what it would cost if I booked directly with Seabourn. Once I got their price I contacted a luxury TA in Texas (although I live in Canada) who had come highly recommended. Although they didn't improve on the price, I received a "rewards" cheque in the amount of $1,234.00 from the TA one week before departure. Since then I have booked all of my cruises through them. Not only do they provide their TA "rewards", they are also able to get onboard credits which might otherwise been unavailable. As well, they are the first to be notified when upgrades or upsells come available. Plus, as stated by another poster, they have much more influence with the cruise line than I would as an individual should there be a problem.

I forgot to mention that we also received an additional $1,000 in onboard credits on this cruise from our TA that was not being offered directly through Seabourn.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking of booking our first Seaburn cruise in several years and wondering if there is considerable savings in going with a TA or if Seaburn tends to offer on board credits to make up savings that may be available with a a TA.

Welcome be from a fellow Arizonan. I have to tell you that a number of years ago we started using a TA in the UK (Bournemouth) and have never looked back. We get better pricing than we ever did from a TA with a large US travel consortium or Seabourn and even more important much better service.

Thinking of booking our first Seaburn cruise in several years and wondering if there is considerable savings in going with a TA or if Seaburn tends to offer on board credits to make up savings that may be available with a a TA.

Booking direct with seabourn will not get you any group discounts that travel agents that are members of consortiums such as Virtuoso, Ensemble and Signature would get and you would be eligible for. Booking directly would not get you a free shorex or SBC that many travel,agents offer as part of their consortium amenities. Seabourn will not give you shipboard credit unless they have that type of promo available to every travel agency. Seabourn has a very very small direct bookings department (formerly called personal travel consultants). They want the bookings to come from travel agents and 95% of them do.

Book Seabourn, you will love it.

Welcome be from a fellow Arizonan. I have to tell you that a number of years ago we started using a TA in the UK (Bournemouth) and have never looked back. We get better pricing than we ever did from a TA with a large US travel consortium or Seabourn and even more important much better service.

Yes, but can you get your deposit back if you cancel up to 90 days prior to sailing?

no , in the uk the deposit is not refundable. this is why cruises show fully booked until 3 months before when those who have booked in the USA decide which one of the cruises they have booked they then decide to go on :D

No, I can't. While that is a downside for some since I don't ever book a cruise unless I am sure we want to go this is not a big deal for us. And of course there is also the fact that I pay in GBP. I use a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. And again I get much better service than I ever got from my US Virtuoso TA.

No, I can't. While that is a downside for some since I don't ever book a cruise unless I am sure we want to go this is not a big deal for us. And of course there is also the fact that I pay in GBP. I use a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. And again I get much better service than I ever got from my US Virtuoso TA.

Yes, but some people may also be sure they are going and then life intervenes. If you lose a couple of 25% deposits you might change your tune. I guess it depends which is more important to you.

Something which UK residents often feel is important is that their UK TA is bonded with ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) which does provide cover if serious problems arise with the company. I would personally advise checking on this with any TA - they publish their ABTA number on their websites and printed info. Not all are members.

There are plenty of reasons to use a top UK TA beyond price and service (although those alone should be compelling enough).

So you have to change a booking within 6 months before departure? I believe

that you can call the TOP UK TA and push the booking out for a later cruise. I have not done this but I have heard others have- so it's worth investigating.

Happy cruising!

I assume that US citizens would mainly book with a UK TA because they could get a better price, even allowing for currency exchange?

It is all a bit tricky, since we must not mention TAs by name, but I don't think Markham's top TA is the same as Chairsins.

Whether you have GBP or USD should not matter. If a UK TA offers a better price and service you should go with it.

Just imagine that you are paying for the cruise now, at the time you book it. If the invoice is in GBP and you have GBP then nothing else needs be considered. But if you have USD you can pay for it at once or pay the post- deposit amount when due bearing in mind that when you do so you may have fewer USD to pay then or more USD to pay then. Or just pay the whole thing now.

The worst case is a swing of more than 5% in the USD final net amount against you for the cruise. But if you get a quote of more than 3, 4 or 5% less than what some US TA would offer, then wouldn't you take that risk for a cruise whose final balance is due just a few to several months after booking it?

Also, and about UK TAs, there are 2 superb names that come to my mind - Chairsin's by the seaside and mine about 40 miles west of London.

Happy sailing!

Yes, Lincslady, you are correct -- we use the other major UK luxury cruise company. Frankly I do not know if they are members of ABTA. I can just tell you for 6 years we have enjoyed wonderful, prompt, personal service and very good pricing. And Markham , often the exchange rate issue has not been much of an issue. I just mentioned it to ensure people in the US considering using a UK agent understand the issues.

I am surprised no one seems to think that being an ABTA member is important.

I do, especially for help regarding financial protection.

I'm sorry, I missed your posts as they were on a different page that I thought I'd already read.

5% is about half of what you should be getting. We have a US TA that rebates 10% or more. Doesn't reduce the fare paid to Seabourn but, about a week or so before departure we get a check in the mail for the 10% and can use it as we choose.

Lots of cruise lines restrict TA's from discounting the amount you pay the cruise line but, are unrestricted from rebating from their rather substantial commission.