Dollar limit on sea pass/room cards?

We will be on the Independence of the Seas in late April. I have searched, but can't find an answer to my question.

Is there a way to put a dollar limit on the on board charge card? We will be traveling with our two kids, 12 and 8. We will be explaining to them that they will have a daily spending limit and that we can check it each evening. Our concern is more if they lose their card. 12 year old tends to lose everything. What happens if he loses it and someone else picks it up and charges on it?

Also, our 8 year old is special needs and I don't know that we will give her her own card. She wouldn't lose it, but wouldn't understand to not let anyone else use it.

Is there a way to put limits on their cards or what is the best way to handle this situation?

Also, does anyone know if there are restrictions for special needs kids going to the kids club activities? Her main issue is speech and communication. She also has learning delays, but nothing health or medical related.

THANKS!!!

When my kids were younger, I went to Guest Services as soon as we boarded. I put $300 cash on each of their cards. The night before the cruise ended, I returned to GS and they re-reimbursed me for the balance that they did not spend. My kids were teenagers, so I am sure you won't need that much $$$

Edited by champagne123
xxxxxvvvvv

When you update your cruise documentation online, it will ask details about each passenger. In those sections, you elect to have the room card have the option of linked to a credit card, to cash, or no purchasing option.

What I don't know is if you put Cash.. can you overspend it? I think you might be able to, so that might not be what you are looking for.

But, every card has a photo linked to it. When a purchase is made, the photo of the cardholder comes up on the terminal, so they can match the faces. So if the card is lost, that is one safety.

My recommendation is to check the account balance nightly on the TV (as you mentioned), as well as regular checks with kids on the whereabouts of their cards.

We were able to put limits onto our kids' SeaPass cards. However, Guest Services did warn us that the arcade system didn't enforce the limits. That was a while back, though... perhaps it's better now.

...Is there a way to put limits on their cards or what is the best way to handle this situation?...

You can go to Guest Services and have limits put on the kid's cards. However, unless it's been changed, the limits do not apply to the arcade.

I know people always say it doesn't apply to the arcade but that wasn't true for all of my kids this past summer. Two my kids were able to put arcade money on their card and one wasn't. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Thank you for all of the replies. I like the idea of being able to set a limit. Not too concerned about the arcade, but will make sure 12 year old is aware.

I also like the photo being associated with the card. I like that safety feature.

I am sure it will be fine, but wanted to be aware of any options that we have.

Thank you for all of the replies. I like the idea of being able to set a limit. Not too concerned about the arcade, but will make sure 12 year old is aware.

I also like the photo being associated with the card. I like that safety feature.

I am sure it will be fine, but wanted to be aware of any options that we have.

You will have a wonderful time. Why don't you get your special needs child a lanyard...chances are it will never get lost. :)

Also, does anyone know if there are restrictions for special needs kids going to the kids club activities? Her main issue is speech and communication. She also has learning delays, but nothing health or medical related.

THANKS!!!

My son had similar issues and the Adventure Ocean staff was great! My son is now 26, so our experience was quite awhile ago. I hope someone with more recent experience will contribute their knowledge, but I think you will be pleased.

We will be on the Independence of the Seas in late April. I have searched, but can't find an answer to my question.

Is there a way to put a dollar limit on the on board charge card? We will be traveling with our two kids, 12 and 8. We will be explaining to them that they will have a daily spending limit and that we can check it each evening. Our concern is more if they lose their card. 12 year old tends to lose everything. What happens if he loses it and someone else picks it up and charges on it?

Also, our 8 year old is special needs and I don't know that we will give her her own card. She wouldn't lose it, but wouldn't understand to not let anyone else use it.

Is there a way to put limits on their cards or what is the best way to handle this situation?

THANKS!!!

Looks like your spending limit question has been addressed so I will address your other question. The cruise line is very flexible with special needs kids. They will allow you to put her in a younger group if you feel she would do better there. Since she is 8, 6-8 group is probably a better fit than the 3-5 but once she is 9, you can have her still attend the 6-8 group if that works better. Here is a link that describes what they offer.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

You might want to contact the special needs department if you have further questions or need to arrange early boarding.

You will have a wonderful time. Why don't you get your special needs child a lanyard...chances are it will never get lost. :)

Yes, I am planning on doing lanyards for both kids. 12 year old son would still manage to lose his. :) My 8 year old special needs child doesn't lose anything. I am more concerned about her being generous with hers and letting anyone take it and use it. She wouldn't comprehend the fact that it is money being spent. I think she will have a hard time with that concept.

I don't know if we will give her her own card or not. I just didn't know if she had to have one when she is in the kids club areas or not. How do they identify the kids or know who they belong to? She is very trusting and would possibly go with anyone.

Looks like your spending limit question has been addressed so I will address your other question. The cruise line is very flexible with special needs kids. They will allow you to put her in a younger group if you feel she would do better there. Since she is 8, 6-8 group is probably a better fit than the 3-5 but once she is 9, you can have her still attend the 6-8 group if that works better. Here is a link that describes what they offer.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do

You might want to contact the special needs department if you have further questions or need to arrange early boarding.

THANKS!!! I didn't even know there was a special needs department. I will be researching it. THANKS again.

THANKS!!! I didn't even know there was a special needs department. I will be researching it. THANKS again.

You're welcome. As far as your concerns with the 8 yr olds sea pass card, you can give her no charging abilities if you are concerned with her sharing. She will most likely be with you or in Adventure Ocean so there really won't be a chance for her to charge anything. She will need it when you check her into Adventure Ocean.

Unless your 8 year old will be "out and about" alone, there is no need for them to have the card on their person...you, or the older child should keep their card! The ONLY reason they need it is to charge something or get into the cabin....if they will be with you or the older sibling...one of YOU carry his card!