norovirus on Ocean Princess' last voyage

gnld

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/03/articles/norovirus/another-gastrointestinal-outbreak-on-leading-gioutbreak-cruise-line-princess-cruises/

Article on a norovirus outbreack on Ocean Princess' last voyage. She gets handed over to Oceania on March 7 and goes into dry dock for major overhaul. Emerges as the Sirena for her first Oceania cruise April 27. Wonder who'll get the job of cleaning her up -- Princess or Oceania?

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/03/articles/norovirus/another-gastrointestinal-outbreak-on-leading-gioutbreak-cruise-line-princess-cruises/

Article on a norovirus outbreack on Ocean Princess' last voyage. She gets handed over to Oceania on March 7 and goes into dry dock for major overhaul. Emerges as the Sirena for her first Oceania cruise April 27. Wonder who'll get the job of cleaning her up -- Princess or Oceania?

Its everywhere.

A lot of colleges are struggling with Noro right now. UC at Berkley is having an outbreak.

A few weeks ago I watched the Oceania cruise ship come into in the evening and figured something was up. They returned 2 days early and basically kicked everyone off so they and the CDC could do a major clean up. Funny thing is I looked it up on CC since nothing was on our local news. Wasn't thrilled that they were sending everyone into hotels in Miami exposed to that, especially once a friend told us that Oceania made it seem like they had mechanical issues when they booked a bunch of rooms at her hotel.

I haven't read the CDC outbreak reports in a while, but if it's true that Princess has had more outbreaks than the other cruise lines in recent years, I'm most displeased. Time for them to make improve their standards!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I haven't read the CDC outbreak reports in a while, but if it's true that Princess has had more outbreaks than the other cruise lines in recent years, I'm most displeased. Time for them to make improve their standards!

Noro is the 2nd most prevalent disease in the USA after the common cold. There are 20,000,000 cases annually per the CDC.

Some of these people will be boarding cruise ships already exposed to noro, often before showing any symptoms.

No matter how clean and germ free a cruise ship is, when 2600 or more new passengers come on board, some will be bringing germs with them, whether it is the common cold or noro or something else.

Some recent headlines:

Primary school pupils struck down in norovirus outbreak

Norovirus outbreak infects 64 at University of Regina

Outbreaks of norovirus on college campuses in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania in the last month have sickened hundreds of students

Bollywood Berkeley dance linked to noro outbreak

375 now sick, noro confirmed at Kellogg Center outbreak

Norovirus outbreak forces CMS school to close Friday

School in Concord closes because of norovirus outbreak

Norovirus outbreak hits wards at Lewisham Hospital

William Harvey Hospital norovirus outbreak closes ward

(note that for the last two, even hospital clean does not prevent a nono outbreak)

Oh I know, Caribill. The only time I've ever gotten noro was from the school where I teach. I take as many precautions as possible, but I also hope that my cruise line of choice will do all it can to try to prevent outbreaks. Princess ships always appear clean, but if they're having more problems with noro, there may be a flaw in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...