Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - Cruising wih Egg Allergy.

jf256

Good Evening Everyone,

I have a moderate Egg Allergy. If I eat eggs my throat will close up making it difficult to breathe and I will throw up constantly for about 5 hours. (Sorry if TMI)

I have contacted the Royal Caribbean as requested to inform them of this, and the only thing they have really bothered to tell me.. is to go and speak to the maitre'd at the beginning of the cruise. I have been told that it is not recommended to eat in the Windjammer and I will have to go pre order all my food the night before...

All of this seems like a right pain. I understand that with multiple allergies it would be a lot easier to pre-order your food. What I do not understand is why with one allergy they cannot cook your dinner without having to go through the painstaking thing of basically ordering all your food before you even know what you want. What if you absolutely hate the thing they have given you? What if you want to eat in a speciality restaurant, they do not even use the allergy kitchen and I will not be able to pre-order there. I am just so confused..

I understand they have a lot of food to make especially in MDR and might need to sort things out in advance . What does bother me is that on several occasions during port days, at the beginning of the cruise and at the end of the cruise the MDR is not even open for lunch!

Am I expected to not eat until dinner... breakfast is never very fulfilling with an egg allergy and I am really worried that I am going to have to go hungry. One of the things I was really looking forward to was being able to eat like a regular person on board, and it looks like that isn't going to happen..

Does any one have any experience of this? I am not even slightly worried about deserts as I can take or leave it.

What do you eat at home? Well, that's available on the ship, too! There are cereals, fruits, etc.. that have no egg in them!

Do as suggested...and simply ask the head waiter or maitre'd what has no egg in it for that night.

I don't quite understand your complaint. It's a bit of an over reaction. They deal with multiple food allergies every day. There are many foods without eggs for all meals.

You just have to tell them what you want. They will discuss the daily menus with you and they will adjust to avoid eggs. Don't choose food you hate. It's simply not that big of a deal.

Just curious, how do you vomit if your throat is "closed up"?

Edited by 6rugrats

I don't quite understand your complaint. It's a bit of an over reaction. They deal with multiple food allergies every day. There are many foods without eggs for all meals.

You just have to tell them what you want. They will discuss the daily menus with you and they will adjust to avoid eggs. Don't choose food you hate. It's simply not that big of a deal.

Just curious, how do you vomit if your throat is "closed up"?

I Was not exactly complaining, I was asking how people dealt with the problem. Sorry if I came across as over -reacting but it is a really awful situation to be in.Unfortunately if you do not have an allergy it is difficult to understand the stress that goes along with it. Where you may just be able to go and grab food it Is not as simple. It is my first cruise and my first holiday abroad in 5 years because of it.

If you actually read my post properly you would see that I do understand that food needs to be pre-ordered and I am a bit worried about times when you do not pre-order food such as in speciality dining rooms, and asking about what I should do when it is lunch and the MDR is not open, and I have been told not to eat in the buffet.

If take allergy tablets the initial allergy symptoms reduce, unfortunately that sets off all sorts of other problems such as the vomiting and stomach pains. Only 2 months ago I was told explicitly by a waiter at a wedding that it was safe to eat my dinner, it wasn't and I missed the majority of my sister in laws wedding.

If you want to eat in the buffet just ask to speak with the chef there & ask what items may have egg in them ...some are obvious but some may not be

If you book the specialty restaurant ahead of time they will also give the menu to choose what you want the night before

It is a pain to order the meals the day before but beats getting sick :eek:

Personal choice

Edited by LHT28

All of this seems like a right pain.... Am I expected to not eat until dinner... breakfast is never very fulfilling with an egg allergy and I am really worried that I am going to have to go hungry...

I Was not exactly complaining, I was asking how people dealt with the problem...

Sorry but it actually did sound as if you were complaining. I understand allergies - both children have them and it is frustrating. However - the advice you were given is correct - you need to take a meeting once on board ship and find out the protocol for dealing with this.

As far as not eating until dinner, I'm sure that is just your frustration talking. There are many options available - you just have to find them, and that will take some time, effort, and research that only you can do. :)

All the best, and enjoy your cruise.

My wife has food allergies to many different items. We have had very good luck with RCCL. Ordering the night before is always done for her, as they bring out the menu for the next night. We also had one of the chef's come out to talk to her and never an issue. At the Windjammer she will ask about items that are in question and someone would always get an answer for her. Yes it is a pain, as she just can't eat whatever is out, but for the last 30 years it has been her way of life. She did not always have food allergies, but develop them after our first son was born. Try eating in a foreign port, WOW this is an adventure and not in a good way.

Her last big event was in Disney World at the Luau, wrong plate of food given to her and chef ran out he kitchen, but it was too late. Epipen time and straight back to the room for more allergy meds as needed, almost an ER visit. :mad:

I believe I did read your post "properly".

Why couldn't you preorder food for specialty dining? Why wouldn't the MDR be open for lunch? Even if it wasn't, there would be many safe choices for you.

People on this board have many problems that you know nothing about, so it's never safe to assume they don't understand your issue.

They just realize that it's your responsibility to be proactive, and sometimes it's a pain, but it's the way it is.

...asking about what I should do when it is lunch and the MDR is not open...

I will add this as I missed it the first time around - -

The MDR will be open for lunch on sea days only. You can look at your itinerary and see how many days that will be, then plan to use alternative venues for other lunches. Room service is always available plus other venues which are not the buffet, but do have other choices you will need to look into (Café Promenade, Johnny Rockets, and specialty dining for lunch).

About the family wedding---Never ask a restaurant waiter if an item is ok to eat. Have them check with the chef. We've gone so far as to call the venue ahead of time.

Ask this on the Royal board as each cruiseline does things a bit differently. On Carnival we can order special meals the night before. On the buffet we talk to the hostess or Head Chef. The line cooks mean well but things can go awry.

For port we have allergy cards made up. I made my own but you can order them online. Selectwisely.com is one company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good Evening Everyone,

I have a moderate Egg Allergy. If I eat eggs my throat will close up making it difficult to breathe and I will throw up constantly for about 5 hours. (Sorry if TMI)

I have contacted the Royal Caribbean as requested to inform them of this, and the only thing they have really bothered to tell me.. is to go and speak to the maitre'd at the beginning of the cruise. I have been told that it is not recommended to eat in the Windjammer and I will have to go pre order all my food the night before...

All of this seems like a right pain. I understand that with multiple allergies it would be a lot easier to pre-order your food. What I do not understand is why with one allergy they cannot cook your dinner without having to go through the painstaking thing of basically ordering all your food before you even know what you want. What if you absolutely hate the thing they have given you? What if you want to eat in a speciality restaurant, they do not even use the allergy kitchen and I will not be able to pre-order there. I am just so confused..

I understand they have a lot of food to make especially in MDR and might need to sort things out in advance . What does bother me is that on several occasions during port days, at the beginning of the cruise and at the end of the cruise the MDR is not even open for lunch!

Am I expected to not eat until dinner... breakfast is never very fulfilling with an egg allergy and I am really worried that I am going to have to go hungry. One of the things I was really looking forward to was being able to eat like a regular person on board, and it looks like that isn't going to happen..

Does any one have any experience of this? I am not even slightly worried about deserts as I can take or leave it.

Most food is not cooked to order, the kitchen is like a mass cafeteria. If you have an allergy everything has to be cooked to order in a separate kitchen and they need extra time.

When I made our reservations for Sabatini's on the Royal, they asked if there were any food allergies. My husband can't eat seafood. When we sat down, the server confirmed this with us. Eggs are certainly harder to avoid than seafood, so I would do your due diligence and pre-order food in the MDR if needed, and ask about items on the buffet. There should always be a chef of some sort hanging around the buffet area.

What do you eat at home? Well, that's available on the ship, too!

Really? Cookies, cakes, muffins, cinnamon rolls, and waffles that don't contain eggs? :confused: Being egg allergic on a cruise ship is a real PITA when it comes to breakfast and desserts; it's especially harder when it's a child (like my daughter).

We did an RCCL cruise about 7 years ago, and it took the staff four days (asking three times a day) to determine whether their pasta contained egg. I hope they find out faster for you.

Edited by pseudoswede