Thoughts about pre tipping?

SheriffJoe

Having read about this a few times I was wondering about others thoughts and experiences with pre tipping certain people like the cabin attendant and favorite bar bartender to ensure excellent service....

When I board a cruise ship, I have a little list of items that I need to make my cruise a bit more comfy. My husband often gives the list to the room steward with a little "stress reliever--- this seems to be very, very appreciated.

IMHO a pre tip is nothing more than a bribe.I prefer to let people do their jobs and reward those that do the best they can,because they have pride in what they do, not expecting something furthur.The employees we do tip,do seem genuinely pleased with the extra compensation.Again,just my opinion!

We never pre-tip cabin stewards and have always had excellent service. We always give a big extra tip in addition to the auto gratuities to our cabin stewards and assistant at the end of the cruise though. And on X at the martini bar, we always give a generous cash tip to the flair bartenders on the first day of the cruise. They really go that extra mile and truly appreciate the tip. We don't tip because we are trying to bribe them, but we tip out of an appreciation for what they do and the effort that is expended. But we did notice that the bartenders were much more willing to take out order first on subsequent visits to the martini bar, while others on the drink packages had to wait. (We weren't on a drink package) . Never would I consider generous tipping to be a bribe, especially when it is done from the goodness of my heart. If I happen to receive exceptional service, then that is yet an added bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

Giving your favorite bartender a little extra during the cruise can make a big difference....your steward not so much.

Bartenders are different than room stewards and waiters that you might see every day.I often tip waiters and their assistants in the anytime dining rooms,on a daily basis,as I may never see them again.With the cabin stewards,I wait till the end of the cruise.

I usually pre tip (bribe) my room steward with $20 when we meet asking him to empty the frig and bring us ice twice a day....seems to make them happy though and I am ALL ABOUT making people happy!

When I decide on my favorite bartender at my favorite bar I will pre tip (bribe) him as well with $20, in these days of drink packages and long lines its great to be served immediately whenever my bartender spots me walking in....again this HAS NEVER made any bartender so far frown so I assume by their great service and smiles they are all for this....not so much on Princess but on X the Martini Bar is VERY popular and sometimes hard to find a seat and get prompt service....NOT the case when my "favorite" bartender spots me coming though! :D

We never bribe anyone with pre-tips. :(

One should not have to ensure anything.

The service is not always perfect or up to cruise standard. Sometimes they don't even have Ice ready throughout the day. What do you suggest to get the service cruisers deserve? Apparently, giving a list and a few dollars pre cruise is a bribe. Different people have different needs in the stateroom.

The service is not always perfect or up to cruise standard. Sometimes they don't even have Ice ready throughout the day. What do you suggest to get the service cruisers deserve? Apparently, giving a list and a few dollars pre cruise is a bribe. Different people have different needs in the stateroom.

Stewart is busy. I have several small things that I would like done as well. I know he will get to them. He has 18 staterooms to handle. Why should I expect him to drop everything just for me because I am waving $20 at him the moment I saw him after boarding? I have never pre tipped and have not had an issue in all our cruises. When Stewart does his job everyday and busts his/her butt. When he/she is a ninja and we wonder how he gets in and out, and our cabin is spotless, he earns every $$ of his salary/tips.We appreciate the hard work. We will tip extra at the end of the cruise. If the service is not up to snuff then no additional tip.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Having read about this a few times I was wondering about others thoughts and experiences with pre tipping certain people like the cabin attendant and favorite bar bartender to ensure excellent service....

Do you pre-tip every place you go to ensure you get "good" service? Do you do that at every place you stay or eat? Do you pre-tip flight attendants on airlines to ensure you get better service? Do you pre-tip cab drivers to make sure you get where you are going? Do you pre-tip maid or room sevice at any hotel you stay at? If not why do you think you and othets should do it on a cruise ship?

Stewart is busy. I have several small things that I would like done as well. I know he will get to them. He has 18 staterooms to handle. Why should I expect him to drop everything just for me because I am waving $20 at him the moment I saw him after boarding? I have never pre tipped and have not had an issue in all our cruises. When Stewart does his job everyday and busts his/her butt. When he/she is a ninja and we wonder how he gets in and out, and our cabin is spotless, he earns every $$ of his salary/tips.We appreciate the hard work. We will tip extra at the end of the cruise. If the service is not up to snuff then no additional tip.

Exactly how I feel. I know the cabin stewards are busy that first afternoon trying to finish all the preparation for the cruise. We do a cursory check of plumbing, life jackets, etc., just to make sure the required items are there and in working condition. About 95 per cent of the time, every thing is fine so we'll just introduced ourselves when the steward stops by. But we're not going to be giving him a list of things he needs to do for us. We're capable of removing any sodas and water that are in the fridge and sticking them by the TV, but most of the time these are on the tray on the desk anyway.

We leave on the autotips and if we feel the steward did a smashing job, he'll get extra on the last afternoon of the cruise and we'll fill out a "Consummate Host" card and give to the passenger services desk.

Do you pre-tip every place you go to ensure you get "good" service? Do you do that at every place you stay or eat? Do you pre-tip flight attendants on airlines to ensure you get better service? Do you pre-tip cab drivers to make sure you get where you are going? Do you pre-tip maid or room sevice at any hotel you stay at? If not why do you think you and othets should do it on a cruise ship?

A little presumptuous aren't we? I in no way said everyone else should pre tip....in fact I prefer most don't cause if everyone did then how would I get served before you in the Martini Bar or be enjoying my drink as soon as I sit down in the MDR while you are looking all around for a cocktail? :eek:

Just walk around throwing $100 bills in the air:cool::D

I will try to be on your next cruise and follow you around, just waiting for some of those spare hundreds to float my way. Lol

I will try to be on your next cruise and follow you around, just waiting for some of those spare hundreds to float my way. Lol

I didn't say I do it.

It is advice to those that think pre tipping gets them additional attention and service.

We choose not to get all involved with how busy or not busy someone is doing thier job. Some of the tip beforehand get everything done straight away at the beginning of the cruise and we don't wonder if it will get done. If isn't done correctly then auto tip reduction might be in order. Its just a different way of doing business, but effective from my experience on cruise vacations.