Dropping off a Dollar Rental car at Fort Lauderdale port

Nitemare

We're renting from Dollar in West Palm a few days before our Celebrity cruise from Fort Lauderdale. We're currently planning to return the car at the FLL airport -- Dollar told me over the phone that they don't have a cruiseport dropoff location or a shuttle. Can anyone confirm this?

I guess our plan B is a cab? Been a long time since we've cabbed to the port in Fort Lauderdale, how much should we expect this to cost?

Thanks!

Do a quick search. There are NO rental car drop offs within the port, but there is at least one- not sure of the brand- just outside the port. Otherwise it is the airport.

Call the actual office about the shuttle- don't use the national number.

Horrible, horrible experience last March with Dollar. Arranged for a rental after our cruise and was told to just board the shuttle outside the pier. The first shuttle literally drove right past me as I waved.

One of the pier employees said he would make sure the 'next' shuttle stopped. It didn't.

I then called Dollar, and they assured me they would radio the shuttle and make sure he stopped. He did...asked to see my reservation and then said "Sorry, our shuttles don't go to the airport location"

What??? When I booked the reservation I was told specifically to get the shuttle back to the airport to get my car. Nope, he said...you'll have to take a taxi.

So after blowing nearly an hour waiting for a shuttle that refused to take us where we needed to go, we waited in another line for a taxi to the airport...where I promptly cancelled the rental and we just used the free trolley. Our flight wasn't until 6pm so we'd planned to have the car to store luggage while we toured around, but instead stored the bags and the airport and used the free ride.

Dollar has a location right outside the port on State Rd 84, a shared facility with Thrifty. Actual address is 2400 Miami Rd, Ft Lauderdale. This is the location that runs the port shuttle. You might call 954 462-4074 to confirm the shuttle. If not, a cab will be cheap given the location.

We've used Thrifty/Dollar (same counter) just outside the Port Everglades gate.... easy and quick to hop on their comp shuttle....at times it has only been the two of us...great service.