Subway in St Petersburg

Is it worth arranging a subway ride in St Petersburg or just a visit to the subway station enough? I'm not sure why they offer that on some tours, what's so special about the subways in St Petersburg compared to other cities?

The metro (subway) stations in St. Petersburg and Moscow are like no others I have ever visited. Architecturally, they are a cut above almost any other transportation system in the world. Moscow's stations are more elaborate than the St. Petersburg stations but the ones in St. Pete are still quite elaborate. Also, St. Petersburg has the deepest metro system in the world. As the previous post mentions, just conduct a google image search and you will see for yourself why you may find a visit to the metro is worthwhile.

Below are links to youtube videos of some stations in St. Pete:

Edited by dogs4fun

We did a subway ride on the way back from Peterhof. It was part of our tour with Best Guides. It was one of the best parts of the tour, and undoubtedly an absolute hit of the whole tour for my teenage nephews. Subway stations are so ornate that it’s beyond anybody’s imagination. We took the subway train to get to the Church on Spilled Blood. It was fast, very clean, air conditioned, which was good because the day was hot, but not easy to navigate unless you speak Russian.

The metro stations in Moscow are even more elaborate than those in St. Petersburg. Hope that you get to experience the stations in Moscow as well.

As an aside, when I visit Russia, I use the metro in both Moscow & St. Petersburg and find them both easy to use. I have a metro map (you can actually find them online) and I don't speak Russian other than some common phrases.

We visited a station in St. Petersburg with our Alla tour but didn't ride the train due to timing issues. It was still worth visiting the station - absolutely amazing. I've wondered what European tourists think when they ride the subway in NYC.:rolleyes:

I've wondered what European tourists think when they ride the subway in NYC.:rolleyes:

The St Petersburg subway is the unusual one (along with a small number of others like Moscow).

I can assure you that most European ones are far more similar to New York than St Petersburg.

A one stop ride was part of my Alla ride. Impressive to say the least. But you know what struck me. I visited the Soviet Union in 1972 and rode the Moscow subway. It was not a cruise tour and I wanted to ride the subway and the guide explained how. But when I got to the station, I quickly realized what a problem it would be. I could not read the Cyrillic alphabet for the life of me nor any of the signs. Two years ago when I did the St. Petersburg subway, not only were the signs in Russian, they were also in English...to me that was a shock! (Also watching the KHL playoff games on my cabe network, the players' names on the back of their uniforms use Roman letters, not Cyrillic ones. The times they are a changing, that's for sure.

Edited by MATHA531

It's also the deepest subway in the world. It seems like you ride the escalator down forever! DH and I were on a private tour in St. Petersburg and added the subway ride on the fly. We're very glad we did as we both found it very interesting. All the stations have a theme to their decorations, I remember a Olympic/sports theme in one of the stations.

It's also the deepest subway in the world. It seems like you ride the escalator down forever! DH and I were on a private tour in St. Petersburg and added the subway ride on the fly. We're very glad we did as we both found it very interesting. All the stations have a theme to their decorations, I remember a Olympic/sports theme in one of the stations.

Yeah, that one is cool, I especially like the Olympic Flame mosaic - it is on line #5, the Sportivnaya station.

Is it worth arranging a subway ride in St Petersburg or just a visit to the subway station enough? I'm not sure why they offer that on some tours, what's so special about the subways in St Petersburg compared to other cities?

Whats so special ?

The trains

IMG_5398_zps6mqcirh2.jpg

IMG_8088_zpso5e5tya9.jpg

The stations

IMG_5396_zpsxhfjpe8w.jpg

IMG_8648_zpsd6l7re7q.jpg

IMG_7329-001_zpsd5mcfcy0.jpg

The ride down

IMG_8768_zpsdrq45lvi.jpg

Great photos, scuba! Wish I were as talented in the photo department but mine are often of poor quality. If you don't mind my asking, what type of camera are you using?

Did you have a wonderful time on your most recent visit? I finally was able to score that helicopter ride that you recommended. :D

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks for posting those pics, scuba cruiser. Our tour is supposed to include a subway ride, so I hope that we don't have to miss that due to time constraints. Looks very cool and I am looking forward to it.

Great photos, scuba! Wish I were as talented in the photo department but mine are often of poor quality. If you don't mind my asking, what type of camera are you using?

Did you have a wonderful time on your most recent visit? I finally was able to score that helicopter ride that you recommended.

Thanks Jill , i'll be glad to . Here's a selfie that my cameras took .

a5e20f61-8d44-48ec-a041-e0a20b77637b_zpsss086tv9.jpg

The big camera is a Canon 6 D DSLR with it's outside lens . The other lens is it's inside wide angle lens . The smaller pocket camera is a Sony DX - 100 III . Yes we had a great time with a TA on the Celebrity Eclipse and a 10 day stay in Russia with a side trip and an overnight in Moscow . We chronicled the trip , with photos , here :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213388

We hope that you enjoyed your flight on the helicopter . We did take another flight on the day after Victory Day on our last visit there . Here's some photos and a video clip .

IMG_8510_zpsxqcg1nad.jpg

Smolny Cathedral

IMG_8486_zpsg434n7km.jpg

The Field of Mars and the Church on Spilled Blood .

IMG_8491_zpsjs4ayfy8.jpg

Here's the engine start video of the helicopter:

There was also a lot of WW II memorabilia at the Peter and Paul Fortress

IMG_8436_zpskhdwcnkm.jpg

MVI_8442-001_zpsgz5yq5bc.jpg

And a rock concert with some infectious pop music :

While we enjoyed the 'ride down' and the magnificent subway stations, we rode during what was 'rush hour' and to me it was no different that a NYC rush hour ride. Crowded and pushy, just cleaner.

If I am not mistaken, the subways were built as a sort of bomb shelter. That is why they are so far down and were stocked with enough provisions to feed something like 100,000 people for 3-6 months. They were also suppose to have huge doors to seal them off in case of nuclear war.

(at least that's what we read about it).

Cheers

Len

While we enjoyed the 'ride down' and the magnificent subway stations, we rode during what was 'rush hour' and to me it was no different that a NYC rush hour ride. Crowded and pushy, just cleaner.

If I am not mistaken, the subways were built as a sort of bomb shelter. That is why they are so far down and were stocked with enough provisions to feed something like 100,000 people for 3-6 months. They were also suppose to have huge doors to seal them off in case of nuclear war.

(at least that's what we read about it).

Cheers

Len

Our guide told us that they doubled as bomb shelters, but had to be built so deeply because St. Petersburg sits on reclaimed swamp land. They had to be below the swamp to avoid flooding.

Once you do it you will see why, architecture, pillars, paintings high up, beautiful, our tour operator from SPB Tours took us down the very long escalator at 8.00 am, like you I though 'why' but worth it.

I realize it is off topic a bit but there is a high speed train between St. Petersburg and Moscow. I wonder why no tour company includes a 1 day excursion from St. Petersburg using the train (I think it's 4 hours) to Moscow, a one day tour of Moscow and a train ride back to the ship. Yes 8 hours of traveling and probably about six hours of touring Moscow but similar tours exist say to do London-Paris in a day or is the 4 hour train ride just a bit too long?

I loved the subway tour in St Petersburg but when we went in 2010 we were not allowed to take pictures. Has that changed? We had to be quiet etc.,, I remember it being beautiful. I like doing that type of stuff though. We also visited a grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I realize it is off topic a bit but there is a high speed train between St. Petersburg and Moscow. I wonder why no tour company includes a 1 day excursion from St. Petersburg using the train (I think it's 4 hours) to Moscow, a one day tour of Moscow and a train ride back to the ship. Yes 8 hours of traveling and probably about six hours of touring Moscow but similar tours exist say to do London-Paris in a day or is the 4 hour train ride just a bit too long?

The private tour companies do offer 1 day tours of Moscow for ships that are in port for 3 days. If your ship is in port for only one or two days, it is not feasible to take the train to Moscow. The train leaves St. Petersburg very early in the morning (so pick-up at your ship would be in the neighborhood of 6:30am) and arrives back to St. Pete around midnight. Most ships (1 or 2 day port stays) do not arrive early enough to catch the early train and/or depart prior to your train's arrival back in St. Petersburg (hence, you would miss your ship).

I loved the subway tour in St Petersburg but when we went in 2010 we were not allowed to take pictures. Has that changed? We had to be quiet etc.,, I remember it being beautiful. I like doing that type of stuff though. We also visited a grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have taken multiple photos in both the St. Peterbsurg and Moscow subway stations with no issues whatsoever.

Edited by dogs4fun

I loved the subway tour in St Petersburg but when we went in 2010 we were not allowed to take pictures. Has that changed?

Back in 2011 we were told not to use the flash, but other than that there were no restrictions taking photos.

/Erik

The private tour companies do offer 1 day tours of Moscow for ships that are in port for 3 days. If your ship is in port for only one or two days, it is not feasible to take the train to Moscow. The train leaves St. Petersburg very early in the morning (so pick-up at your ship would be in the neighborhood of 6:30am) and arrives back to St. Pete around midnight. Most ships (1 or 2 day port stays) do not arrive early enough to catch the early train and/or depart prior to your train's arrival back in St. Petersburg (hence, you would miss your ship).

Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarification.