Maintenance/Painting Balcony During Cruise?????

tidalwave500

As we were leaving the ship to go ashore in Cozumel,there was a notice placed at our door.It stated that for the next 2 days that they will be doing rust removal and painting between 12 and 5! Obviously it was supposed to have been delivered the night before.We did not stay long ashore and on the 2nd day in Belize I did not go ashore at all. Here I paid for a balcony and was robbed of it use. Has anyone had this happened before?

Yes, it happens. During the cruise is when they usually do maintenance like that - when on drydock (every five years if nothing unusual comes up) they have very limited time to do all they need to do and also doing maintenance like that only every five years would be way too little in order to keep the ships in good shape.

Edited by Demonyte

No, but if I wanted to use the balcony I would have stayed until they knocked and either left then or negotiated a time to be gone. They're still in the customer service business and would have worked something out with you. Maybe even work through my cabin steward to get things set.

Sorry you felt cheated by the schedule.

As we were leaving the ship to go ashore in Cozumel,there was a notice placed at our door.It stated that for the next 2 days that they will be doing rust removal and painting between 12 and 5! Obviously it was supposed to have been delivered the night before.We did not stay long ashore and on the 2nd day in Belize I did not go ashore at all. Here I paid for a balcony and was robbed of it use. Has anyone had this happened before?

Odds are they were not near your cabin the entire time. Also, it does appear they are trying to do it during port visits while most people will be ashore. As Demontye mentioned, it isn't something they can put off until drydock. Both due time constraints and also due to the fact they aren't going to let it go that long without rust removal and repainting.

From my observations, if a ship isn't moving, it is probably being painted somewhere on the hull. And even when moving a lot of times part of the superstructure is being painted.

It definitely does suck. I have come back to the cabin on Carnival many a time and the balcony is absolutely soaked as they washed down the balconies while in port.

We were on the Star last week, and never received a notice, however when we came back to our room while in Cozumel, we noticed a wet paint sign on our balcony. The previous day's in Port, we did notice they were doing work as they rolled by our balcony a time or two. It was certainly not a disturbance for us, and we use our balcony alot on the cruise. What they did probably took 15 minutes max on our balcony. It seems as though if you never got the note, it would have been less likely to inconvenience you.

So are you saying that for two days they stayed on your balcony and you could not use it, or, was that the time frame the works was going to occur? Normally any individual balcony would be out of service for no more than 30 minutes or so. You may have stayed off of yours for no reason at all!:eek:

This is just normal maintenance. You may want to help out with the painting.

Give the painters some ice cold water and maybe a Pepsi and talk with them, while relaxing on your deck! Enjoy the experience! Do not go to Guest Services and complain. They will tell you the same thing, Regular Maintenance! Bon

Voyage!

They were painting the Escape like crazy when we were on the ship two weeks ago. They painted our balcony one day. We didn't receive a notice, but there was a sign outside when we got back to our cabin. They also painted a good part of the Haven courtyard that week.

I'd much rather have them keep up with things than have them fall to ruin.

We also received a notice that every day in port the balconies would be scrubbed. Again, I'm glad that this work is being done.

That happened to me last November when i sailed the Gem...But i had gotten no notice..... I stayed in a mini suite on deck 11.... was in my room....and this paint/varnish smell enpowered my entire room.... I called up the guest services....they looked into the matter...got back to me and said for the next two days that they were going to be painting...and what was happening was the smell of paint and varnish was coming through the air conditioning ducts in my cabin..... I went higher to the hotel director....and he got back to me and told me that the paintting will start at 10am....and stop at 2pm... which was much better, as i was out and about...by the time i got back, there was no smell in my cabin....

For the inconvenience, they had sent to me a nice bottle of Charonnay Wine, and a plate full of chocolate covered strawberries and different kinds of chocolates.... I thought that was a very nice gesture on their part... But next time, make sure that when you pick a cabin, that you are below and above other cabins.

But next time, make sure that when you pick a cabin, that you are below and above other cabins.

That does not matter, they do maintenance all over the ship. There is no way of telling where they will be working, as in OP's case, they do work on balconies too so cabin location does not matter at all.

It might be a tad inconvenient but it's very necessary. Ships can get worn down in a hurry, not just in appearance but with the mechanical workings. That's why they have specific maintenance schedules for pretty much everything on board....inside and out.

If they didn't do it then people would be complaining about rust on their balcony.

I don't see what the big deal is. The painting takes a few minutes, and it dries fast too. They've got to paint it sometime..right?

Ongoing maintenance is to be expected - but sometimes chipping the rust, priming and then painting can make a balcony unusable for quite a while: it is understandable to feel disappointment.