Ruby Princess- 3/10 sailing

cruisequeen4ever

Due to the storm in Southern CA, the Ruby Princess had to cancel Catalina and go to San Diego today instead. My in-laws are onboard. They have the new bed and bedding. They like the bed but hate the new bedding. The top sheets come right off the comforter, exposing it. The steward was snippy with her when she requested that he leave the end untucked. The steward assured her that the comforter is washed between cruises, but she doubts that. If they don't, that's disgusting and a germ hazard!! It's one thing if it has a duvet, but without one, yuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yuck,

They go through the expense getting new comforters, you would think they would also have duvets. I doubt if they change those comforters between passengers and think those opened end sheets will do the trick. This is like having those old itchy wool blankets with sheets around them. I know they didn't change them between passengers as I watched a bed being made. Have friends on the Ruby right now, and said they still had the old Duvet blankets on the beds (Caribe deck starboard).

Said new mattresses and very comfortable pillows.

Yes they are in San Diego instead of Catalina. Our friends are staying on for the next cruise and we will be cruising then as well.

Wondering if I should bring a duvet from home, just in case they do that for the next cruise.

This is still flu season, don't want to catch anything. Even toe and foot fungus can be picked up.

Edited by san diego sue

My in-laws are staying on for the 10 day, too. They're switching to our fav stateroom for that one and the post of some rooms still having the old duvet gives me hope for them! To think that a "luxury bed" doesn't even have a duvet!! Hope they add duvets!

They've requested a duvet, so hopefully that happens tonight. They have been experiencing poor customer service and food. They're even considering canceling the 10 day portion. [emoji17] Tonight's Crown Grill, and that's usually a highlight for them, so hopefully it'll be a hit! I really hope their cruise turns around; come on Ruby, work your magic!

My mother-in-law said no duvet, just a top sheet on top of the comforter and a top sheet under the comforter. The comforter appears to be held in place just by tucking it under the mattress.
Yuck! I'm making a note now to request a duvet as soon as I board. I don't like covers tucked in for one thing.

So the Ruby has new beds?! Any other renovations?

In January we did a 15 days on the Ruby to Hawaii. A few post-dry dock observations (we were on the Ruby in August to Alaska so a few things jumped out). Not all renovation based, just some things that we noticed.

1. New mattress in our cabin, much nicer than the old ones.

2. The refrigerator in the cabin appeared to be new.

3. New toilet seat in the cabin bathroom (only noticed because someone complained about theirs being scratched up in a review before we did the Alaska cruise) and I noticed ours was too. BTW, not something that I would normally even pay attention to. :rolleyes:

4. New carpet in most public areas.

5. Horizon Court chair seats had been reupholstered in a brown vinyl (another complaint in an earlier review was how bad they were before dry dock and they really were badly worn).

6. MUTS screen must have been missed in the services done. A lot of miss colored pixels. It was worse than it was in August.

7. The Elite, Suite, Platinum happy hour had any of the 8 drinks available for the special $5.00 price every night.

8. Food overall seemed much better than the last two cruises we did on the Ruby. New chef?

9. The new Curtis Stone restaurant did not seem to be very well attended. Very few people on the evenings that I walked by.

10. Staff in general were happy and helpful.

11. Internet very inconsistent. Not unusual, but, it seemed worse than we have experienced before.

BTW, great cruises (both Alaska and Hawaii) overall.

So, FWIW, there you go.

YMMV.

Edited by ar1950

My mother-in-law said no duvet, just a top sheet on top of the comforter and a top sheet under the comforter. The comforter appears to be held in place just by tucking it under the mattress.

Yep, we got the new comforter and top sheet 1/2 way through our cruise last week. The first day I asked for a blanket as the comforter is way too hot for me and the blanket was just fine. DH used the comforter. The comforter is nice looking and the cases too - ALL WHITE!:eek: I don't expect the comforters to stay clean for long. We were on the Baja deck aft - our cabin steward was so-so, we weren't impressed with her and she did enough to "just get by." I shouldn't have to ask for clean glasses, bar soap or lotion or ice. She didn't get an extra tip from us, and she only came into our cabin once a day per our request. We are low maintenance people.:rolleyes:

cruisequeen4ever. Say sorry to hear that they are not having a great

trip. Do hope that it gets better for them. I was wondering why they

weren't in Catalina yesterday. I know that they were looking forward to it. Hope the trip to the winery turned out okay.

Say hi to P/J from Las Vegas. We had really bad winds yesterday also, with a little rain.

cruisequeen4ever. Say sorry to hear that they are not having a great

trip. Do hope that it gets better for them. I was wondering why they

weren't in Catalina yesterday. I know that they were looking forward to it. Hope the trip to the winery turned out okay.

Say hi to P/J from Las Vegas. We had really bad winds yesterday also, with a little rain.

Hi! [emoji3] I will. Today's a sea day, and tomorrow will be Ensenada. The seas look bouncy but haven't heard from them today. I'm excited for you about your upcoming cruise! [emoji568]

With the Ruby having the new mattresses their promotion about the change states they have a duvet which obviously isn't true for the OP's in-laws. :confused:

European-inspired duvet

With a continuous-filament fiberfill of hypoallergenic 100% virgin polyester to maximize loft without compromising climate comfort.

With the Ruby having the new mattresses their promotion about the change states they have a duvet which obviously isn't true for the OP's in-laws. :confused:

European-inspired duvet

With a continuous-filament fiberfill of hypoallergenic 100% virgin polyester to maximize loft without compromising climate comfort.

Maybe a European inspired duvet is nothing more than a comforter between two sheets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Maybe a European inspired duvet is nothing more than a comforter between two sheets.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Just got off the Ruby on Thursday; our last two days coming back from Mexico were very rough (10 foot seas at times with heavy rain and wind) but tolerable. We were in an aft suite with the new beds and linen.

I think you hit it on the head; call it a comforter or a duvet, it is clean and so much better than the previous fitted comforter that never was laundered, always too heavy and (in our case) was always removed, folded and shoved under the bed for the duration of our cruise. The new beds are soft to the first touch, but are very supportive once you lie down. The pillows are a bit soft, but we requested firmer ones and got them next time the room was cleaned.

Food was awesome, service was friendly and the entertainment was very good. Overall, a great ten day cruise!