Sending things to your cruise ship

mgriffen

We will be leaving for Europe on May 16th but don't cruise until May 31st out of Barcelona on the Celebrity Equinox. We will be traveling light and don't want to lug around a couple bottles of wine and our fancy clothes for 2 weeks.

Is it possible to send things to the cruise ship ahead of time?

We will be leaving for Europe on May 16th but don't cruise until May 31st out of Barcelona on the Celebrity Equinox. We will be traveling light and don't want to lug around a couple bottles of wine and our fancy clothes for 2 weeks.

I am thinking to help offset your 'load', how about buying wine in Europe? It'll help a little

I wouldn't worry about the wine....and I wouldn't pack "fancy" clothes! Most lines aren't enforcing a "formal night" dress code anymore. You could get by with fancy pants and a sparkly top and dress pants and lightweight jacket for the dressier nights.

Check Celebrity's dress code and look on it's board.

At worst the buffet is open on formal nights. Buy wine in Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have connected with NCL, and we can take as many bottles on as we want, with a corkage fee to be paid on each one...as we board. So my question..how do we take wine on a ship? in a separate bag, with luggage tags on the bag? How is the corkage fee paid?..is it just added on to our room?

:eek:

I have connected with NCL, and we can take as many bottles on as we want, with a corkage fee to be paid on each one...as we board. So my question..how do we take wine on a ship? in a separate bag, with luggage tags on the bag? How is the corkage fee paid?..is it just added on to our room?

:eek:

I would ask on the ncl forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

Looks like we will end up using something like luggage forward, but I was wondering if it's possible to ship via FedEx or UPS directly to a ship. And the reason we are bringing wine with us is because we are from Mendocino California, right next to Anderson Valley. Some of the best Pinot Noir in the world. We want to share with our dinner mates. :-)

Before worrying too much about shipping wine to Barcelona from the US you should check Spain's customs requirements first. Some countries while they might allow you to bring a couple of bottles of wine in on your flight will not allow you to ship wine via a courier company into their country unless you jump through a lot of hoops.

Most cruise lines will not accept luggage ahead of time. They have no where to store it. You need to check with the particular port facility to see if they wil accept your luggage but it is not something that you should count on.

Most cruise lines will not accept luggage ahead of time. They have no where to store it. You need to check with the particular port facility to see if they wil accept your luggage but it is not something that you should count on.

Best bet is to have things shipped to your hotel - most hotels will accept (and hold) luggage for guests, while I do not believe cruise lines will. Also, you ahould check the rules before importing wine to Spain. Finally - as a personal suggestion - why not try the local wines yourself, which can be seen as part of the reason to travel?

My experience in cruising Celebrity and shipping luggage is that you cannot ship directly to the ship as security will not allow it. You must use a shipping service like the ones mentioned above. There's a lot of paperwork involved with foreign Customs and all that, so using a service is imperative.

As for the wine, you are limited by Spanish Customs to 4 liters of wine.

Thank you for the responses. We will likely use a luggage delivery service. Oh and we will most certainly be trying the local wines. Just want to have a couple special bottles from home to share onboard.

I thought Celebrity dropped formal nights. Someone please comment. If I am correct you only need black slacks and a few nice tops for dinner. I've seen a lot of men wear light jackets that double duty as a jacket for chilly weather. (More fitted and sports jacket length). You will probably want these with you so you can eat at a nice restaurant every once in a while on the land portion of your trip.

Unless you are meeting friends I just wouldn't worry about sharing wine. It will cost you quite a lot and may not be appreciated for anything more than free wine. Then if the people at your table don't reciprocate you may feel slighted. Nice idea but maybe not worth the hassle. Don't forget the corkage fee.

As one who has done this, more important is to get a couple of hotels or a private apartment rental where you can wash your clothes. Celebrity does not have machines. Of course you can send your clothes for them to launder, but you will probably want to start your cruise clean. We spent 4 days in a hotel and a bus tour so we were able to take larger than carry on suitcases but we each had to be able to handle our own suitcase and backpack.