Phony Formalism

hermang

50% for me too. I guess I'm not surprised. My sister-in-law is a career counselor and does Myers-Briggs personality testing At Stanford and told me I had the most well balanced test she had ever seen. I wonder if that means I'm boring or that I can do anything. I prefer the latter.:)

C2C....that's an old definition...now it just means anyone who is better than Newt...hardly an exclusive group :p . (Did I meantion I'm at the Royal York tomorrow??)
Aw, the place hasn't been the same since the Fairmont group took it over from Cap'n Dick :D

I know the thread on dress up /dress down was closed but I just want to add one thing here.

In Massachusetts, there is a lake called:Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.

REALLY there is - you can look it up.

The Indian translation ( so I have been told) is - you fish your side of the lake, I fish my side of the lake and we both fish in the middle.

Point I want to make is this - If you want to dress up and stay that way - you fish your side of the lake

If I want to dress down - I fish my side of the lake

We both fish in the middle by sailing the same cruise line.

Why don't you just go on a less formal "lake".

If you don't have the right fishing permit, get off the lake.

I am baffled that people go on a cruise line that stipulates a formal standard, when they know from the outset that they will not abide by the rules. It's not as if there aren't any other companies!

Another, more detailed quiz can be found at:

http://quizilla.com/users/thebecca/quizzes/What%20Kind%20of%20Elitist%20Are%20You%3F/

I took your test and got these results:

"You speak eloquently and have seemingly read every book ever published. You are a fountain of endless (sometimes useless) knowledge, and never fail to impress at a party. What people love: You can answer almost any question people ask, and have thus been nicknamed Jeeves. What people hate: You constantly correct their grammar and insult their paperbacks."

You constantly correct their grammar and insult their paperbacks."

I read only fantasy hardcovers...

or is that: I only read books about fantasy with hardcovers?:cool:

or:I read only hardcover books about fantasy.

To compare to speeding or running a red light would make sense if X would enforce there rules like law enforcement does. Sure they don't catch everybody speeding but at least they try to. X does not care at all if you break or bend the rules. I really believe that the people here understand the formal guidelines it's that other 98% that don't read these post that concern me. Preaching and praying about it hear won't reach those people. They gonna do what they wanna do without your concern or passion about the situation. I feel confident X staff does read these boards. So like you speeders out there go ahead and show up on formal night in your best pressed jeans and Tshirt and someday you will be turned away. This will put a serious damper on your vacation and hopefully you won't be back on X line again as you prove to yourself and the others that wittnessed your embarrsing turn away it was the ship's fault you didn't know about it. I was on one ship(HAL) that the marti'de came and asked an entire family of 6 to leave on formal night due to their dress. The persons around their table clapped and cheered as they left the dining room. I bet that was their last cruise.

Have these tests been studied for their scientific validity?

Every poster proclaiming their "snob" score valdates the tests.

We are all self-proclaimed X snobs and proud of it.:cool:

Another, more detailed quiz can be found at:

http://quizilla.com/users/thebecca/quizzes/What%20Kind%20of%20Elitist%20Are%20You%3F/

I'm a political and cultural guru... half my expertise is forbidden on this site....

More than the results, I found the percentage at the end fascinating -- it appears that a TYPICAL person taking this quiz could therefore be described as follows!!!

---------------------

You speak eloquently and have seemingly read every book ever published. You are a fountain of endless (sometimes useless) knowledge, and never fail to impress at a party.

What people love: You can answer almost any question people ask, and have thus been nicknamed Jeeves.

What people hate: You constantly correct their grammar and insult their paperbacks.

1413 other people got this result!

This quiz has been taken 2975 times.

47% of people had this result.

Ok...took the second test and came up with this:

Name the era, and you can name every artist from it. You've got an eye for design and a knack for feng shui. Color schemes, architecture, and objt d'art - these are all your forts.

What people love: You're the perfect person to shop with.

What people hate: They have to clean their house whenever you come over.

Does this mean I can't sail X??? :p

Why don't you just go on a less formal "lake".

If you don't have the right fishing permit, get off the lake.

I am baffled that people go on a cruise line that stipulates a formal standard, when they know from the outset that they will not abide by the rules. It's not as if there aren't any other companies!

There is no where that says if you don't dress according to the so called Standard you will be thrown over the side or flogged at dawn.

Celebrity "suggests" Not insists or demands as a consequence for taking my money that I MUST wear a tuxedo on formal night. Check your cruise contract - it too does not specify your dress as a requirement for taking your money.

All I am trying to say - and this argument has gone on for months - If a passenger chooses to wear a suit and tie, jacket and tie or tux for formal night what is the big deal. If you feel that is spoiling your cruise experience maybe you are the one that should find a more formal lake. Frankly I am on vacation while on board and could care less what you wear -

Archived