Phony Formalism

hermang

Marty

Certainly you are not suggesting, that because some people(me included) like to adhere to the guide lines set out by our hosts, that we are phonies?? and according to you, you wore a suit and tie to work for many years, I guess you were just a phonie, or could it be that you wore that miserable garb, because it was expected of you?? You can't have it both ways Pal;)

And what has the tragedy at the Wold Trade center have to do with this discussion?

Phil

I remember a few years back when friends of ours wouldn't go out to Sunday brunch at a local restaurant because they didn't want to dress up on Sunday morning and yet didn't want to be "looked down on" by those who came to the brunch in their church clothes.

I always thought it was peculiar that they assumed that they would be so judged by those who had just left church. And, I thought it was odd that the clothes they wore so greatly impacted the activities in which they thought they could participate.

Why can't we all just get along? There are so many issues more important than whether my shoes match my dress or if my husband's coat is appropriate attire.

When we cruise, we do dress up. We lug the extra suitcases and we polish our nails (at least, I do!) and fix our hair and wear the fancy clothes. We take less formal clothes with us for the informal nights, and we have even more clothes for the casual nights. We follow the dress code because that's what we want to do.

If someone does not follow the dress code, I think that's their preogative. I certainly hope that what a perfect stranger is wearing on his/her vacation never has the power to add or detract from how I am enjoying mine!

hermang

There is a huge difference between being a non conformast, and just plain disregarding acceptable social behavior.

And your remarks about people in Mexico, is way out of line. After all, in case you forgot this is a cruise critic board, not a relief agency. If you are that concerned about the relief efforts for the unfortunate folks in the world that are suffering because of natural disasters, I would suggest you spend your time elsewhere, and not on these boards where the subject is cruising:cool:

Phil

If I am out of line, then you should chatise RCCL for cancelling a Cruise and diverting a ship to Mexico with supplies for humanitarian and hurricane relief

I will take that bet in a heartbeat. Unless you are an attorney (no wait, you said insurance). You couldn't do your own 'pro bono' on the case. Even if you were, you would be charging yourself, (or be charged) hundreds of dollars an hour to pursue the case. Undoubtedly, no one would take the case, but if they did, it would be quite a waste of good money after bad.

Again, I would take the bet on how it would play out in the blink of an eye.

Correct, insurance is my profession. But I know the law. My business is marine insurance claims and I have worked with most of the admiralty attorneys in New York, New Orleans and Houston, the heart of admiralty law in this country. I have testified as an expert witness numerous times.

You CANNOT enforce suggested guidelines. The ticket and all that tiny print is the sole contract between X and us and the law flows from any contract. If I were to be ejected from the dining room, and others were not be asked to leave, it is indiscriminate enforcement of non existant contract language.

Nuf said folks.

I am outa here. I will let all those of you with your multi thousand posts to sit by the screen and live your life there.

I am going out to buy some slacks and shirts for a cruise. I already sent my good blue suit to the cleaners.

The ticket and all that tiny print is the sole contract between X and us and the law flows from any contract. If I were to be ejected from the dining room, and others were not be asked to leave, it is indiscriminate enforcement of non existant contract language.

'On paper' that may be 100% correct. In reality, you would not go sue the cruise line over this, unless you could find a lawyer that would take the case for free. Doubtful, because it's not a noble enough 'cause' (from a lawyer's perspective). So, unless you have the cash to fork out (remember HUNDREDS of dollars per hour), there would be no lawsuit. And if you have that kind of money to burn, as someone else posted, perhaps you should donate?

Also --

I will let all those of you with your multi thousand posts to sit by the screen and live your life there.

Check the number again.

I guess the real question is: When you embarrass yourself, do you realize you've embarrassed yourself? Aren't you just a little embarrassed for having started this whole silly thread?

I started the thread for a reason and you proved why I did.

To those of you insist that the DRESS CODE is the CODE that MUST be adhered to or else - knock your socks off.

All I said was If I choose to ignore it thats my issue - if I choose to wear a Suit and Tie or Tux - that also is my call NOT because YOU or any of the so called Fashion Police said I must in order to meet Celebrity's "suggested"

attire.

But I can assure you that if a passenger took Celebrity to court for being kicked out of the dining room over an un written rule. Celebrity would not win because it is not stated that it is a requirement for admission to the dining room and if they remove one pax that would have to remove all. THAT would never happen.

But I can assure you that if a passenger took Celebrity to court for being kicked out of the dining room over an un written rule. Celebrity would not win because it is not stated that it is a requirement for admission to the dining room and if they remove one pax that would have to remove all. THAT would never happen.

And I can assure you that, due to the cost of taking such action, you would never see that suit happen. This is not the kind of lawsuit you could get someone like, say, the ACLU interested in.

Phil:

You are at 1,231. Others are way past that number. Lots of time at the computer. And I thought I was a computer nerd, as my wife calls me. Wow!!

My mention of the WTC was to put this silly exchange in context of what is really important. A style of dress at dinner is really trivial, don't you think?

All I said was If I choose to ignore it thats my issue - if I choose to wear a Suit and Tie or Tux - that also is my call NOT because YOU or any of the so called Fashion Police said I must in order to meet Celebrity's "suggested" attire.

The more you swing, the more you punch yourself. Don't you see that?

If I am out of line, then you should chatise RCCL for cancelling a Cruise and diverting a ship to Mexico with supplies for humanitarian and hurricane relief

LOL, you are just too much:D this forum is set up for folks who want to talk about cruising, what any corp. does for humanitarian relief is not relevant to these boards.

Having said that, you could start a thread about cruise critic members giving donations (although the Moderators would most likely frown on that) but your generosity is no way connected to your OP. (Phonie people who dress up).

Phil

I guess you must be as oriented to the trivial as the others as you are still posting. This is a cruise board...of course it's trivial. Wear what you like and don't worry about it. Why do you find it necessary to continue to criticize those who are only doing what is requested of them. They are not the ones going against the tide.

Now Herman has picked up the lawsuit line like a dog on a bone. Talk about silly, this takes the cake. If you are ever denied entry to the dining room you can just make a scene and threaten a lawsuit and it will solve the problem.:rolleyes:

Phil:

You are at 1,231. Others are way past that number. Lots of time at the computer. And I thought I was a computer nerd, as my wife calls me. Wow!!

My mention of the WTC was to put this silly exchange in context of what is really important. A style of dress at dinner is really trivial, don't you think?

No, you are wrong, I am at 1296, the other guy is at 1231;)

Phil

One poster even offered to show non conformists how to find aft elevators to the buffet area so they would not be seen and offend the senses of those who elected to wear jackets and ties.

I worked in NYC at the World Trade Center and retired in January 2001. My firm lost 295 people of which I knew about 100 very well. I lost a large number of coworkers and friends. That is way more worthy of concern than cruise phonies.

Once again, another example of exaggeration and misquoting.

One of the anti-dress code people was whining about how it was absolutely impossible to go from the casual dining area to his room without being in a public area. I pointed out how that problem could be avoided. It had nothing to do with his offending people, it was an honest answer to an un-thought-out question from the poster.

As for your playing the WTC card.... what in the name of anything does that have to do with dress codes on a cruise?. That's about as inane as saying "Oh yeah, well Jesus didn't wear a coat and tie". Or like my saying that I lost a lot of friends in Vietnam? Give us a break! :rolleyes:

Allen

Luckly for me, the shoes weren't too high and the dress wasn't too

tight;) :D

And as for phonies, I know both Phils and they know me too. Neither one

one of them are phonies...they are really handsome in their

formal wear!:)

And dressing up doesn't make me a phonie either...so there.:)

Oh I said I wasn't going to get involved in this topic again.......fooey!

For the record, casual can be in good taste. A tux isn't the only attire that is tasteful, but if you need a tux to define good taste, that's up to you.

More exaggeration. These people always define adhering to the dress code as tuxedos and long evening gowns. Dockers and a blazer with a tie can qualify as at least making an effort! The drama-queen stuff is growing old. A bathing suit can be in good taste, also. The point you seem to constantly miss is that the "tasteful" apparel be in the "required" context.

Allen

Luckly for me, the shoes weren't too high and the dress wasn't too

tight;) :D

And as for phonies, I know both Phils and they know me too. Neither one

one of them are phonies...they are really handsome in their

formal wear!:)

And dressing up doesn't make me a phonie either...so there.:)

Oh I said I wasn't going to get involved in this topic again.......fooey!

LOL, thanks kid, and might I add, that you are ravishing in everything you wear.:)

Phil

Once again' date=' another example of exaggeration and misquoting.

One of the anti-dress code people was whining about how it was absolutely [i']impossible[/i] to go from the casual dining area to his room without being in a public area. I pointed out how that problem could be avoided. It had nothing to do with his offending people, it was an honest answer to an un-thought-out question from the poster.

As for your playing the WTC card.... what in the name of anything does that have to do with dress codes on a cruise?. That's about as inane as saying "Oh yeah, well Jesus didn't wear a coat and tie". Or like my saying that I lost a lot of friends in Vietnam? Give us a break! :rolleyes:

Allen

Allen - I would think his comment about the WTC is to show you how completely absurd this is. Who cares about what people wear? There are more important things in life than worrying about a dress code. Oh yeah, there are more important things than this message board too, but I can see you spend every waking moment by this board, anxiously waiting to post your next response.

I witnessed the entire horror of 9/11 and have come to realize what's truly important in life and if you find the need to mock it, then I truly feel sorry for you. (BTW, this message board is not of one them.)

I hate to point out a slight mistake, but the Titanic was on a westbound crossing to New York when she sank, the Carpathia on the other hand was on an eastbound voyage to the Mediterranean when she went to the Titanic's rescue. If your Grandparents were to sail on Titanic, but got sick, then they couldn't possibly have taken the Carpathia instead, as she was either in New York or about to enter New York after a westbound crossing form the Med when the Titanic sailed from Southampton.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter,

I really don't want to get involved in any of this, so I'll make this short and move on... Yes, Carpathia did help in the rescue of the "Titanic." Capt. Rostron from the "Carpathia" was honored in 1912 by the U.S. Senate for his rescue efforts. I'll leave it at that.

Happy Sailings and I'm out of here...LOL :)

Cheers to you as well...

Lifes2Short ;)

Archived