Evening Chic dress code question

lawgirl

In general, our habit over the past several years is to skip dinner in the MDR on formal evenings. We would dine in an alternate venue. We have done this because we only travel with carry on. A cruise for us is invariably a component of a longer land vacation. But we do travel with a pair of docker slacks, collared shirt ( short sleeve), and sweater. Never a jacket, tie, dress shirt, etc. There is not room in my bag for this. DW will have a dress but certainly not a cocktail dress.

Will this suffice for gala evenings or should we continue on as we have in the past? We anticipate being on a Celebrity Med cruise in the fall and possibly another cruise line as well depending on the last minute pricing.

That sounds fine to me for Celebrity Evening Chic. My Evening Chic outfit is Dockers type pants and a long sleeved button down dress shirt. Might not be ok on the other cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In general, our habit over the past several years is to skip dinner in the MDR on formal evenings. We would dine in an alternate venue. We have done this because we only travel with carry on. A cruise for us is invariably a component of a longer land vacation. But we do travel with a pair of docker slacks, collared shirt ( short sleeve), and sweater. Never a jacket, tie, dress shirt, etc. There is not room in my bag for this. DW will have a dress but certainly not a cocktail dress.

Will this suffice for gala evenings or should we continue on as we have in the past? We anticipate being on a Celebrity Med cruise in the fall and possibly another cruise line as well depending on the last minute pricing.

Just back from a Celebrity med cruise. You will be fine every night, including chic. I wore a sport coat one chic night but many did not. Some were dressed up but many were smart casual. We ate early around 6 pm each night which might be less dressy than later in the evening.

Having been planning other trips first, I just got around to checking in on the X boards for our Infinity cruise later this year. I noticed formal nights are gone and replaced by evening chic. For those who cruised since the change: are there any men in suits? Are there any women in long gowns?

I have a TON of gowns I have purchased over the years, probably about 10 of which I have never worn....(got on sale, knowing we cruise every year). Wondering if I will look WAY overdressed? Hate to just donate them .... Oh, I should mention we are in a CS, so does anyone dress up in Luminae for Evening Chic nights?

Thanks!

You'll be fine. There are still those who have a good sense of style when it comes to fashion. Have a blast!

That sounds fine to me for Celebrity Evening Chic. My Evening Chic outfit is Dockers type pants and a long sleeved button down dress shirt. Might not be ok on the other cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's pretty much just smart casual. Jazz it up a notch!

It fits the bill as smart casual. I wouldn't call it "chic" but it fits the accepted dress codes now.

Kind of agree with this. It is my vacation and I'll dress how I please. If you want fancy, go on a fancy boat.

Yeah, that's the problem today.."I'll dress how I want". Style be damned!

That was also the trend on our 3 April Eclipse(14 night Cruise) Cruise in the Caribbean. We had early traditional dining in the MDR and the majority of passengers for that seating were still electing to dress formally (according to Celebrity's definition) on Chic Evening. Maybe that was due to the new suggested evening dress guideline in the MDR being fairly new? We had a table for two by the wine tower and had a great view of the dining room.

I think the 14 day trips on the Eclipse bring out a more mature group of pax. These pax generally dress more formally than on the other X ships. This is the reason we only do the Eclipse. We LIKE dressing up.

That is perfect evening chic! You will be absolutely fine.

..... : "dress as you want and don't mind about the way other people are dressed", it's simply ugly, unsightly, and a lack of respect toward crew members who are properly dressed, ....

As Celebrity, is more than happy to charter their ships to Nudists I wouldn't worry to much about dressing up to respect the crew

No, Celebrity has completely dumbed down their dress code.

True. Summit to Bermuda May 15---22 2016. 7 nights with 2 casual chic.

Night #1 As usual first night in MDR is always kind of very relaxed..This night there were more than enough flip flops, shorts and logo'd T-shirts to go around.

The 2 "Chic" nights. #1--an occasional tux and gown, some jackets and ties but still a lot of shorts and regular blue jeans'

#2. The second "Chic" night saw a good amount of suits, gowns and tuxes, but was still well represented with plenty of shorts, flip flops and buffet wear.

The rest of the casual nights were almost anything goes.

One thing that was very obvious was that in the traditional early and late seatings there was no cut off point and diners rolled in at times up to 45 minutes late which does cause a little chaos to other diners especially those at the same tables.

No judgement calls here, just observations.

bosco

I love seeing people dressed up. I don't wear more than a sports coat anymore but that's me (OK shirt and pants too).

So according to some on here I am now "dumb" since Celebrity dumb down the dress code and I follow it. But that's OK, I really don't care what others think.

You will fit right in if you dress up so go and enjoy it.