Evening Chic dress code question

lawgirl

Having been planning other trips first, I just got around to checking in on the X boards for our Infinity cruise later this year. I noticed formal nights are gone and replaced by evening chic. For those who cruised since the change: are there any men in suits? Are there any women in long gowns?

I have a TON of gowns I have purchased over the years, probably about 10 of which I have never worn....(got on sale, knowing we cruise every year). Wondering if I will look WAY overdressed? Hate to just donate them .... Oh, I should mention we are in a CS, so does anyone dress up in Luminae for Evening Chic nights?

Thanks!

We wore formalwear on our recent Solstice cruise - DH in his tuxedo and me in a long evening skirt and top.

Wear your gorgeous gowns. You can never be overdressed on elegant chic nights, IMHO, however some people may be underdressed :eek: :D

We wore formalwear on our recent Solstice cruise - DH in his tuxedo and me in a long evening skirt and top.

Wear your gorgeous gowns. You can never be overdressed on elegant chic nights, IMHO, however some people may be underdressed :eek: :D

We've recently been on Solstice cruise and there was quite a few men in tuxedos and ladies in long gowns/cocktail dresses. Go for it, there are still many people who still like to dress up in the evening.

We were on Reflection beginning Feb.

For the "Chic" nights, there were people in gowns and tuxes, suits and dresses, slacks and skirts and we even saw a few in shorts (to the chagrin of many but they were not turned away).

Seems the dress code is a strongly suggested code but not very well enforced.

Regardless, we (10 of us at a large table) "dressed" up, had photos taken and had a great time.

In practice "Evening Chic" means there is no dress code. Wear what you want and feel comfortable. All the cruise lines are drifting this way. Was on Crystal recently and saw guys in blue jeans and women in shorts in the dining room.

While the cruise lines pretend to have a dress code, it simply does not exist.

I am not takings sides, but my wife and I are traditionalist and will continue to dress up on "formal nights" and country club casual on casual nights.

I agree, we will continue to dress up as well. In my opinion, Celebrity is dumbing down the whole cruise experience. If I wanted to wear shorts, I'd cruise carnival.

Oh pulease!! Chic does not mean shorts. Wear whatever you want most of us couldn't care less :rolleyes:

Thanks for replies! Didn't mean to start a controversy! ;) I just wanted to be sure if I wore a formal gown I wouldn't be alone! It is a Mexico/Central American itinerary, but I just like to dress up, no matter where we cruise! Where else can you go and wear tuxes and gowns! :). But I know things are going more casual, so I wanted to check to see if anyone else would be formal. Thanks all!

We are sailing on Constellation in the Mediterranean in June. We do not want to have an extra piece of luggage for a suit and my 2 dresses. I plan to wear nice, dressy black pants with tops that have some sparkle or silver threads. My husband would like to wear dark navy or black pants with a nicer polo shirt (small stripes and not of the golf/underarmour type fabric). Will he look out of place? It is what he wears in the summer to Capital Grille or Morton's and he looks overdressed at times there. In the past, he has always worn a suit, but it takes up a lot of luggage and we have to walk to our hotel in Venice after getting a taxi to the only area cars can go. He could wear a dress shirt and pants, but frankly, the polos and dark pants with a belt and dress shoes looks more classy than designer jeans on anyone. For what it's worth, we are in our early 60's.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Edited by MAHA

Thanks for replies! Didn't mean to start a controversy! ;) I just wanted to be sure if I wore a formal gown I wouldn't be alone! It is a Mexico/Central American itinerary, but I just like to dress up, no matter where we cruise! Where else can you go and wear tuxes and gowns! :). But I know things are going more casual, so I wanted to check to see if anyone else would be formal. Thanks all!

You didn't start controversy, you just continued on one of the most heated topics on the Celebrity forums.

If searched, the dress topic on this forum must have over a couple thousand posts since Celebrity denounced Formal nights :)

You didn't start controversy, you just continued on one of the most heated topics on the Celebrity forums.

If searched, the dress topic on this forum must have over a couple thousand posts since Celebrity denounced Formal nights :)

I know! :o I saw some of them, but was curious what folks were wearing since the change.... It appears that it is a mix, which really is how it has always been.

We are sailing on Constellation in the Mediterranean in June. We do not want to have an extra piece of luggage for a suit and my 2 dresses. I plan to wear nice, dressy black pants with tops that have some sparkle or silver threads. My husband would like to wear dark navy or black pants with a nicer polo shirt (small stripes and not of the golf/underarmour type fabric). Will he look out of place? It is what he wears in the summer to Capital Grille or Morton's and he looks overdressed at times there. In the past, he has always worn a suit, but it takes up a lot of luggage and we have to walk to our hotel in Venice after getting a taxi to the only area cars can go. He could wear a dress shirt and pants, but frankly, the polos and dark pants with a belt and dress shoes looks more classy than designer jeans on anyone. For what it's worth, we are in our early 60's.

Thanks!

Mary Anne

Sounds perfect. ;)

I agree, we will continue to dress up as well. In my opinion, Celebrity is dumbing down the whole cruise experience. If I wanted to wear shorts, I'd cruise carnival.

Only Tux and long gown are formal. Unfortunately, some cruisers really have for many reasons, their own idea of upscale DRESS. On our experience which is limited on X, but on "Modern Chick night" MOST cruises dressed up, from our table, all looked GOOD. The dress was every thing from "formal" to Modern Chic at it's best.

Even HAL the traditionalist last stand in the mass market and out side of the Qe2 or Titanic(ERA) have gone to a modern dress code.

If you're not cruising a Caribbean itinerary, most defiantly bring your formal wear.

If you so desire, have at it and enjoy yourself. Certainly not a requirement and in my experience, not even the majority. But again, enjoy yourself and dress in a way that makes you happy.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

I agree, we will continue to dress up as well.

Great! That's exactly what you should do. It makes you happy, so enjoy yourself.

In my opinion, Celebrity is dumbing down the whole cruise experience. If I wanted to wear shorts, I'd cruise carnival.

Most people do not care, and their cruse is unaffected by, what others wear to dinner. Dress the way you want and enjoy yourself. Let others do the same.

Edited by 1SGCruiser

Note to Celebrity: Please clarify the dress code. Just say smart casual and above with nice jeans OK (no T-shirts or shorts please) for all restaurants at dinner and be done with it. If someone wants to wear a tux at dinner so be it. If someone wants to wear a sport shirt and nice jeans so be it. Any other descriptions such as "evening chic" will forever bring on these discussions.

Note to Celebrity: Please clarify the dress code. Just say smart casual and above with nice jeans OK (no T-shirts or shorts please) for all restaurants at dinner and be done with it. If someone wants to wear a tux at dinner so be it. If someone wants to wear a sport shirt and nice jeans so be it. Any other descriptions such as "evening chic" will forever bring on these discussions.

IMO, the issue isn't one of clarity, as the dress code is quite clear. The problem lies with those who choose to ignore the dress code, or don't bother to read it, compounded by Celebrity's failure to enforce it's own rules.

IMO, the issue isn't one of clarity, as the dress code is quite clear. The problem lies with those who choose to ignore the dress code, or don't bother to read it, compounded by Celebrity's failure to enforce it's own rules.

My fault. I should have added to my post: Please Celebrity, now enforce this.

• 2 months later...

It should say.."NO shorts or T shirts". The word "Please" gives too many pax with NO clue permission to flaunt their lack of style.

If dressing up makes you happy, dress up. If it truly does, it should not matter if you are the only ones or not.

I cannot believe how many people seem to spend vacation time stressing about what other people wear. Or what others are going to think about what they wear. Wear what makes you happy! As long as you are within the guidelines set forth it should not matter what ANYONE wears!

I can honestly say I have never once been so affected by glancing at what others on cruises wore that it stuck with me. (Granted I live in NYC, so it might take a little more for me to give a second glance.)

Live and let live.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app