Cancelled my ES reservation....here is the story

Badfinger

Reserved two cabins ES with $250 deposit. Upon cancellation we lost $50 per person and now have $800 of future cruise credit that has to be used on cruise that ends no later than 2 years from today.

Since I reserved both rooms, all the credit is in my name, in two $400 allotments. That is important as I can transfer to anyone else for a $20 fee for each. Also it cannot be used for a deposit. And i have to call to have it applied to a booking after i make the deposit...the rep said it takes 7 days to process. Both allotments can be applied to any booking made by me (two cabins, one cabin, etc).

I did ask how does it work if I want to book a last minute cruise that required full payment when booking. The rep wasn't sure...said just to call. Did not make me feel easy as I think that is what we might end up doing this summer.

A bit bummed we had to cancel, but given the circumstances, sure feel a lot less stress/trepidation about this.

If it comes to it, I will just book a quick solo 4-day at some future date rather than lose the credit.

Glad I did not buy any Verizon gift cards!

Looks like you've got it right. I don't know how the credit would work on a cruise where final payment was required at the time of booking. I guess for the sake of not running into any issues with that large of a credit, I would avoid booking that close if at all possible.

I have a credit that was transferred to me, so what you typed is exactly the way I understand it. I'm not sure what difference it would have made against you had you paid with gift cards. With ES you never get any money back no matter how you pay for your trip.

I booked an ES rate with the 50.00 deposit, and the CSR didn't tell me the deposit was unrefundable. Two days later I called because I found a lesser rate. They now wanted me to pay the full 1200 deposit that would now become unrefundable. To make a long story short after speaking with many supervisors I got the deposit refunded, and booked with a different rate. We are platinum on DCL and they do not have all these crazy rates. I personally would never book a cruise with a unrefundable deposit it doesn't make sense. We are probably one and done with Carnival. I'm a DCL person, but I love the itinerary of the Med cruises so I rolled the dice. I hope we like it. I just don't like their crazy booking scams. There customer service so far has kind of sucked compared to Disney, but I guess I shouldn't expect much when I'm paying 1/5 the price. You get what you pay for.

Edited by sm3ds

I booked an ES rate with the 50.00 deposit, and the CSR didn't tell me the deposit was unrefundable. Two days later I called because I found a lesser rate. They now wanted me to pay the full 1200 deposit that would now become unrefundable. To make a long story short after speaking with many supervisors I got the deposit refunded, and booked with a different rate. We are platinum on DCL and they do not have all these crazy rates. I personally would never book a cruise with a unrefundable deposit it doesn't make sense. We are probably one and done with Carnival. I'm a DCL person, but I love the itinerary of the Med cruises so I rolled the dice. I hope we like it. I just don't like their crazy booking scams. There customer service so far has kind of sucked compared to Disney, but I guess I shouldn't expect much when I'm paying 1/5 the price. You get what you pay for.

Well you certainly aren't short on insults. But here's the deal:

ES is not a scam, and by virtue of booking that rate, your required deposit is non refundable. That's one of the major factors of ES. Now the rep should have explained that to you. You also could have read it - as non refundable is one of the bullet points listed when looking at rates online through Carnival's website. No need to even dig into the fine print to get to that.

Anytime you find an eligible price drop, no matter whether ES rate or not, you must meet the deposit requirement for that particular rate. If you've booked with a reduced deposit and the new and lower rate you find doesn't feature a reduced deposit, then yes you have to make up the difference. Either that or forego the lower price. The choice is yours.

Carnival offers a variety of ways to book your cruise. ES is not always the best. I don't always use it. You certainly could have chosen a higher rate - one that comes with a refundable deposit. Many people do that - as ES is not worth the chance you take in booking it - should your plans change. BUT you can also use it knowing the rules and come out ahead if you book early and watch and catch price drops.

A pricing rate does not a scam equal just because you don't understand it. I learned about ES mostly right on this board. I asked questions and read alot. But I knew enough on my own to know it was non refundable. Instead of hurling insults, you should have asked questions and learned early on. Since your a DCL fan, you're obviously fine with shelling out alot of money to cruise. Even at 1/5 of the price for Disney, that's still good money you're spending. Why not research beforehand instead of hurling insults after the fact.

It's not the rates that are the problem, it's the customer service agents. Anytime I've gotten one that I would've used as a PVP because they really knew their stuff, they were unable to be PVP's as they were higher up the Carnival food chain and dealt with fixing agents mistakes! A lot of agents don't understand the rates or the rules of each rate so do you think the customer is going to get the full info on rates? NO. Then if you have an issue they say they'll pull the tape and listen to it..then call you back. The couple of times I've had an issue the "tape" is unavailable. Meaning I was right and you don't want to fix it. I've gotten better information from our CC members here! Sorry for the rant. I just think Carnival could better train their agents.

I hate you lost money and hope you'll be able to use your credit later on.

I have a $400 credit that I got because my sons had to cancel coming on a cruise with us next month. Does anyone know if I put it on my upcoming cruise as an On Board Credit? I was planning on using it as a deposit on an upcoming trip - but apparently I can't do that.

Thank you!

I just don't like their crazy booking scams.

As the other poster said - booking Early Saver or any non-refundable fare is a "buyer beware" situation. Booking a cruise is no different that any other purchase - it's the purchaser's responsibility to understand the conditions and restrictions of the sale.

And I guarantee that for every type of fare that Carnival has, the restrictions are adequately posted on their website which every purchaser should visit before booking via the telephone.

Sadly, you see complaints similar to this every day here, and every single one of them boils down to the purchaser being naive or uninformed and not doing enough research prior to purchase.

I have a $400 credit that I got because my sons had to cancel coming on a cruise with us next month. Does anyone know if I put it on my upcoming cruise as an On Board Credit? I was planning on using it as a deposit on an upcoming trip - but apparently I can't do that.

Thank you!

No, you can't use it as OBC. I was in the same situation with DD last year. We just rolled it in the cruise that we booked for this year.

My advice, book a cruise at the past guest rate with the lowest deposit possible (a 3 day, for example). Get the FCC applied, then change the booking to the cruise that you actually want. Voila, FCC is then applied to your deposit on the cruise you wanted.

Looks like you've got it right. I don't know how the credit would work on a cruise where final payment was required at the time of booking. I guess for the sake of not running into any issues with that large of a credit, I would avoid booking that close if at all possible.

I have a credit that was transferred to me, so what you typed is exactly the way I understand it. I'm not sure what difference it would have made against you had you paid with gift cards. With ES you never get any money back no matter how you pay for your trip.

I was thinking of buying some Verizon cards to pay off the balance. My final payment date was 21 March, so in order to have done that, I would have had to buy them some time ago. And had I done that, I would now have a couple thousand in cards that I might have never used. Note that I might just end up booking a short solo cruise (cheapest room possible) to use up the credit if it comes to that.

We have two sons...one is graduating and decided to try for the Air Force Academy. His chances right now are off the charts good. If (when) he is accepted, he leaves in mid June and absolutely does not want to go on a cruise in early June...would rather just hang with some friends. And I would much rather spend those few weeks with him...no matter what we would be doing. Same for the wife.

So in the end, if the reason for canceling this trip comes to fruition....it would be a GREAT thing, and if I ultimately lose the $800...it would be absolutely NOTHING in the bigger picture as an AFA appointment is worth upwards of $300,000. $800? Not even a round-off error!

Edited by Badfinger

We have two sons...one is graduating and decided to try for the Air Force Academy. His chances right now are off the charts good. If (when) he is accepted, he leaves in mid June and absolutely does not want to go on a cruise in early June...would rather just hang with some friends. And I would much rather spend those few weeks with him...no matter what we would be doing. Same for the wife.

Good luck to your son pursuing USAFA. Great that he is in the running.

USNA '89

Edited by jac-3

No, you can't use it as OBC. I was in the same situation with DD last year. We just rolled it in the cruise that we booked for this year.

My advice, book a cruise at the past guest rate with the lowest deposit possible (a 3 day, for example). Get the FCC applied, then change the booking to the cruise that you actually want. Voila, FCC is then applied to your deposit on the cruise you wanted.

Thank you. Had a long day today didn't get a chance to call Carnival and ask, appreciate the info. I'll just have to figure out another cruise, dang! :)

Hi there

There really isn't any scam. These are the booking rules in place for your particular booking. If you have booked anything before I would think you should know there may be rules that might impact you and it does fall on yourself to ask. If you had booked a nonrefundable flight and you changed your mind, would this be a scam as well?

I am just fascinated that it costs 5 times as much for the privilege to sail with Mickey.

hope you have a great cruise

I was thinking of buying some Verizon cards to pay off the balance. My final payment date was 21 March, so in order to have done that, I would have had to buy them some time ago. And had I done that, I would now have a couple thousand in cards that I might have never used. Note that I might just end up booking a short solo cruise (cheapest room possible) to use up the credit if it comes to that.

So in the end, if the reason for canceling this trip comes to fruition....it would be a GREAT thing, and if I ultimately lose the $800...it would be absolutely NOTHING in the bigger picture as an AFA appointment is worth upwards of $300,000. $800? Not even a round-off error!

Our son is at the Academy, it is so beautiful. Congrats.

:)

I booked an ES rate with the 50.00 deposit, and the CSR didn't tell me the deposit was unrefundable.

I personally would never book a cruise with a unrefundable deposit it doesn't make sense.

Hmm...I think you contradicted yourself here. Apparently you *will* book a cruise with an unrefundable deposit because you don't pay attention to the terms before you book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

I changed a booking and ship on the phone with a Carnival agent. I was an ES, and she just transferred the deposit to the new booking, and added the $100.00 fee to the final payment. it couldn't be any easier.

I did the same thing. My PVP explained that if canceling and re-booking on the same phone call, the deposit on the first cruise is transferred to the new cruise and the fee is added into the total due.