Room Not Ready

helensobol

However, last week in the sensation, we boarded about 12:45 and the fire screen doors were closed and they had someone re-directing people to come back after 1:30. I showed her our Platinum cards and the little ship plan that the priority check in gave me where she wrote room is ready. But the "guard lady" ( some random housekeeping person) said "no rooms are ready until after 1:30 and she could not let us in?

Since our cabin was on empress right near the lobby, I politely asked one of the embarkation people stationed near the door to please clarify to the "guard lady" that FTTF/Plat/Diamond should be permitted to access their cabins (I did this rather than just ignore her and barge through the doors).

So bottom line, on some ships they have been enforcing the rules for not swinging by and dropping stuff off at the cabin unless part of the program perks which allow this (even then resisting).

Or they could just hold everyone in the terminal until the rooms are ready with the exception of D/P/FTTF. I see that as a real possibility if people keep breaking the rules.

Remember what happened when people bragged about bringing booze in plain sight in water bottles? Bottles banned. So seems like the answer to rule breakers is to modify policy as to prevent the opportunity for it to happen again.

Or they could just hold everyone in the terminal until the rooms are ready with the exception of D/P/FTTF. I see that as a real possibility if people keep breaking the rules.

Remember what happened when people bragged about bringing booze in plain sight in water bottles? Bottles banned. So seems like the answer to rule breakers is to modify policy as to prevent the opportunity for it to happen again.

One potential answer to every potential policy that punishes guests is to increase the amount of workers on turnaround day to flip cabins faster. It's not the ONLY answer, but it's a potentiality. Reducing services, increasing wait times, to me, is not the answer in the hospitality industry and I don't know why any paying guest would advocate for that.

Princess can turn cabins and have them ready at boarding time and I have never boarded a Princess ship after 11:45AM and rooms have always been ready. I wonder if they bring onboard extra staff from shoreside to turn those rooms faster? I don't know the answer to that but I would not be surprised if they did.

One potential answer to every potential policy that punishes guests is to increase the amount of workers on turnaround day to flip cabins faster. It's not the ONLY answer, but it's a potentiality. Reducing services, increasing wait times, to me, is not the answer in the hospitality industry and I don't know why any paying guest would advocate for that.

Princess can turn cabins and have them ready at boarding time and I have never boarded a Princess ship after 11:45AM and rooms have always been ready. I wonder if they bring onboard extra staff from shoreside to turn those rooms faster? I don't know the answer to that but I would not be surprised if they did.

It would be nice but I think it is easier (and cheaper) to just not allow passengers on (except D/P/FTTF) until the ship is totally ready. I don't think it should come to that, but let's face it. People can only be told so many times before they have to act. Taking staff to "guard the doors" slows things down and they aren't working to help turn cabins over or deliver luggage, or whatever their job is.

By not having so many people onboard initially, I would imagine that they could dedicate more elevators to luggage, therefore, having faster service.

So while it may seem like "punishing the guest" to some (just as staggered check in rubs some the wrong way), it could actually be a positive. Of course if people just did what they were told, it wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Let the "crime" thing go already. I think they were trying to make a point. And if you want to travel with Princess...go to Princess. This is Carnival. They own the ships not us. All that's being said here is follow the prescribed rules. If you don't like them don't board their ship. Vote with your $$.

LMaxwell, I know your just making your point. I get that, but the bottom line is the ship owner has set the rules. Let's approach our nice, happy vacation with nice, happy. :):)

And look what happened when people on these boards advised everyone to just ignore the suggested arrival times - staggered boarding.

I do think, however, that Carnival may have aggravated this issue themselves when they instituted FTTF. Before then the doors were closed - period. More than once, however, I have seen people stand by the closed doors or who were leaving when a priority or FTTF boldly opened them and they said, "well, if they can go in, so can I."

The solution of not allowing anyone except for FTTF patrons in before 1:00 (as some lines do) would be a boost to sales. The increased demand would also allow them to up the price for First To The Fun. Let's not give them the excuse and just follow the rules.

Let the "crime" thing go already. I think they were trying to make a point. And if you want to travel with Princess...go to Princess. This is Carnival. They own the ships not us. All that's being said here is follow the prescribed rules. If you don't like them don't board their ship. Vote with your $$.

LMaxwell, I know your just making your point. I get that, but the bottom line is the ship owner has set the rules. Let's approach our nice, happy vacation with nice, happy. :):)

Who said I don't like the rules or don't abide by them? I am just discussing them. I just happen to feel that policies should favor the guest as much as possible. If a change is to be made, I think it should be in the guests favor, not against them. There are always a handful that won't conform; doesn't mean you punish the vast majority because of it.

And I cruise many different cruise lines. I'm not blindly loyal to one; depends who has a ship going where I want to go, when I want to go, at a price I want to pay. Sometimes it is Carnival. Sometimes Princess. Sometimes Royal Caribbean. sometimes Celebrity. Sometimes NCL. Next up is MSC. Different experiences shape opinions because as much as they all do things similarly, it is the details that make the difference.

I still get a real laugh out of the crime comment. Over time it will wear off, but for now it's still a laugh and a half. :)

And look what happened when people on these boards advised everyone to just ignore the suggested arrival times - staggered boarding.

I do think, however, that Carnival may have aggravated this issue themselves when they instituted FTTF. Before then the doors were closed - period. More than once, however, I have seen people stand by the closed doors or who were leaving when a priority or FTTF boldly opened them and they said, "well, if they can go in, so can I."

The solution of not allowing anyone except for FTTF patrons in before 1:00 (as some lines do) would be a boost to sales. The increased demand would also allow them to up the price for First To The Fun. Let's not give them the excuse and just follow the rules.

Well Diamond/Platinum/ and Faster To The Fun would get to go on as soon as the ship cleared. And yes it would make Faster To The Fun or being Platinum or Diamond more valuable. Kind of like those passes at amusement parks where if you're a member they let you in early. I think that would be wonderful!

But I agree 100% - people need to follow the rules.

The new policy is for staggered CHECK-IN - not staggered boarding. You may have a check-in time of 10:00am but you won't be boarding then. Boarding has always been staggered - by your zone # handed out after check-in. People continue to equate their check-in time with boarding, and the two are not the same at all.

They do this during the cruise too so your items aren't secure.

Follow on question though- if you do have FTTF does that mean you only have access to your cabin when you board or will it actually be ready? I know that if it is ready DW will want to unpack immediately.

Speak to the Hotel Director - they will tell you during the cruise they work on one room at a time and one of the room stewards must be in the room while the door is open - you can verify this at guest services

I see this as the definite future. Staggered check-in is an obvious precursor to that, basically dont show up to the port until your assigned time... But yet people are still openly encouraging others to just "show up to port when you want."

Edited by Savlamara

Speak to the Hotel Director - they will tell you during the cruise they work on one room at a time and one of the room stewards must be in the room while the door is open - you can verify this at guest services

That might be what they are supposed to do but on every cruise I've been on actual practice is different. I personally have no issue with it because valuable are locked in the safe when we aren't in the cabin.

That might be what they are supposed to do but on every cruise I've been on actual practice is different. I personally have no issue with it because valuable are locked in the safe when we aren't in the cabin.

You must be the only one. Someone posted to JH page the other day about wanting bigger safes for their items. After the initial 'WHAT A LOSER DON"T GO ON A CRUISE" top ranking response post, every single person said they never lock up their valuables. Why advertise that? Seemed stupid to me.

You must be the only one. Someone posted to JH page the other day about wanting bigger safes for their items. After the initial 'WHAT A LOSER DON"T GO ON A CRUISE" top ranking response post, every single person said they never lock up their valuables. Why advertise that? Seemed stupid to me.

LOL, maybe I am. Does seem rather silly to announce publicly that your stuff is available.

Carnival just needs to grow back its balls and learn how to say no to customers again. 99% of their problems are because they don't say no, so people just taken advantage of it.

In Business 101, they teach you that the customer is always right.

In Business 301, they teach you why that statement is the biggest piece of crap ever spoken.

Carnival just needs to grow back its balls and learn how to say no to customers again. 99% of their problems are because they don't say no, so people just taken advantage of it.

In Business 101, they teach you that the customer is always right.

In Business 301, they teach you why that statement is the biggest piece of crap ever spoken.

I agree. A lot of their issues come from them not enforcing their own policies. If you're not going to make sure people abide by the rules, then you might as well get rid of them. Give someone an inch and they will take a mile.

Perhaps one might look at who the staff is at the elevator banks on embarkation day. It's usually the entertainment staff ranging from musicians to dancers. They'd rather be anywhere else but in a environment where "no" is the answer most passengers don't want to hear. Virtually all crew members have a "side job" and embarkation is they dislike the most.

I'm not making excuses for them, but if fellow cruisers would read ego is allowed access and who is not, or have the embarkation check in team tell them or hand them a small card reminding them when cabins are open then this might not be a problem.

Even before FTTF and when I showed my platinum card some of those providing assistance didn't know I had priority access.

Also, for those that posted that only one room is open at a time by the cleaning crew, that's bad information. Almost every cabin has a wedge to hold the door. This gives them an assembly line process to expedite the readiness for the next wave of passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Even before FTTF and when I showed my platinum card some of those providing assistance didn't know I had priority access.

Also, for those that posted that only one room is open at a time by the cleaning crew, that's bad information. Almost every cabin has a wedge to hold the door. This gives them an assembly line process to expedite the readiness for the next wave of passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. Before FTTF, you didn't have priority access to your cabin. That perk came with the creation of FTTF.

2. the "only one room open at a time" was about DURING the cruise, not on embarkation day. During the cruise, stewards are only supposed to work on / have 1 door open at a time. That may not be the reality of how they do it though. On embarkation, the stewards have all of the doors propped open which is why random people shouldn't be putting their carry ons in the cabins when the cabin is not ready.

Plat and diamond have had access to the rooms before FTTF was added. At least since I've been cruising since 1997.

I agree with all those who posted to just follow the rules.

If you want to not drag your luggage around then either buy

FTTF or board at a time after 130 or check your stuff and

carry a small backpack.

Plat and diamond have had access to the rooms before FTTF was added. At least since I've been cruising since 1997.

I agree with all those who posted to just follow the rules.

If you want to not drag your luggage around then either buy

FTTF or board at a time after 130 or check your stuff and

carry a small backpack.

You had access because you went to your cabin... It was not a "perk" of Plat/Diamond til FTTF was started. We were Plat long before FTTF and it was something that many P/D did but it was NOT a real perk.... in fact you might remember that you cabin was not ready, in that the steward was still cleaning it.

Sorry, not a perk prior to FTTF... this is a news release from 2012:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4936

This paragraph is in it:

"Faster to the Fun purchasers will also enjoy early access to their cabin, express luggage delivery and choice of early or late debarkation. Current Diamond and Platinum VIFP members sailing on the two test ships also will receive these new perks without the extra cost. "

I may have mentioned in this thread, don't remember, but NCL puts a few staff in a lounge and you can check carry on luggage so it is secure. That would be a nice addition on Carnival and stop people getting in the way of stewards / going to rooms early. Each line does small things differently and that was very nice IMO.

This paragraph is in it:

"Faster to the Fun purchasers will also enjoy early access to their cabin, express luggage delivery and choice of early or late debarkation. Current Diamond and Platinum VIFP members sailing on the two test ships also will receive these new perks without the extra cost. "

Perhaps it just means "all" of those perks grouped together. back in the 1990's there would have been far fewer higher tier customers and on much smaller ships. So it is possible that having a room ready at boarding time was included. Heck, back in the day I was on ships where there were stewards lined up when you boarded and they took you to / showed the way to your room. I wouldn't be so fast to say someone was "taking" something they weren't allowed when it very well could have been allowed 20-25 years ago. Just saying.