Room Not Ready

helensobol

not exactly

when they work on your room during the cruise, they work on one room at a time and they are staying with that room

during embarkation they are leaving ALL the rooms open and working on different rooms. your room might be open and they are working on another room in a different hallway during embarkation.

I have gone to breakfast and returned 10 or so minutes later for my camera and found my cabin door open and no steward in sight. So when I left I closed my door but not before checking to see everything was Ok. ANYONE could have walked in, just as I did and taken things. There were 3 doors in a row propped open. I called for him in every room. Couldn't find him. No idea where he was. So it does happen so be careful what you leave not locked up.

This is the sign that is posted on the doors. Nowhere does it say "Feel free to drop your carryons in your room and grab a bite to eat."

Let the room stewards do their job more efficiently by not clogging up the hallways and forcing them to move vacuum cleaners out of the way while the masses traipse through the halls uninvited and unexpected. Or by interrupting them for chit chat or requests when you're not supposed to be there yet.

They are on a tight schedule and have their supervisors breathing down their necks to get the rooms ready and many times they are surprise inspected. If you stop them for "just a minute", and then so does another guest, and then another, pretty soon they are way behind schedule and their work flow is interrupted. Be considerate and follow the rules. Their job is hard enough.

8ab3e3eb59f0245e5d2a9ac35cd8b660.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

IMHO: If I have a bag of clothes for the evening/night, 2 bottles of wine, and a case of pop, I'll take the chance and ask to leave them in the closet (out of the Cabin Steward's way, and out of sight of people who might want to steal it). That stuff has little value.

Regarding money, jewelry, passports, etc.: Ssk the CS if you can lock that stuff in the safe.

This isn't rocket science, and we are asking to drop off a day bag in an out of the way place, not unload all the luggage.

I have a written list of what I want (ice, wine glasses, empty the mini fridge, etc.), and give it to the CS with a tip. That makes him more than happy. I'm sure adding leaving bags in the closet would not ruin his day.

My point was that Express Man was ignoring the sign on the closed hallway doors, that tell everyone who isn't Plat, Diamond, or FTTF to keep out, as if it didn't apply to him. He knows he's not supposed to do it and he does it anyway because he wants to. I guess you are saying you do the same thing? And to stop the Steward to ask him to do anything when you aren't supposed to be there in the first place is just more of the same inconsiderate, entitled selfishness. Handing him a bribe -err, I mean pre-tip:rolleyes: doesn't make the behaviour any less entitled or more within the rules.

If you want access to your cabin upon embarkation, buy FTTF or reach Plat status. Or do the rules not apply to you?

What makes that any different from the sail away party?

"The Wobble" will not be blaring at 800,000,000 DB. That, and probably a little less twerking will be seen.

Edited by ShakyBeef

This isn't rocket science, and we are asking to drop off a day bag in an out of the way place, not unload all the luggage.

It's also not rocket science to read the signs printed in plain English on the closed hallway doors. ...And to follow the instructions stated therein.;)

It's also not rocket science to read the signs printed in plain English on the closed hallway doors. ...And to follow the instructions stated therein.;)

Agree. And those of us that have been cruising long enough remember when the hallway doors have actually been LOCKED until the rooms were ready. And on some cruise lines this is still true.

Where does it say that I am not allowed in the hallway? I envision a back pack and an airline size carryon. Hardly "clogging up the hallway".

I'm only asking to leave a backpack and carry-on in the closet. About the only disruption that would cause is when the CS hangs up the new bathrobes.

Oh I wish I could be this guy's room steward once! Hope your "back pack and an airline size carryon" floats :D

Where does it say that I am not allowed in the hallway? I envision a back pack and an airline size carryon. Hardly "clogging up the hallway".

I'm only asking to leave a backpack and carry-on in the closet. About the only disruption that would cause is when the CS hangs up the new bathrobes.

Multiply you by a couple hundred others and then clogging up the hallway takes on new meaning.;)

Oh I wish I could be this guy's room steward once! Hope your "back pack and an airline size carryon" floats :D

No, no, you're thinking about this all wrong - if you were his Room Steward, you wouldn't feel disrespected that he ignored the signs and intruded on you, or put-upon by his list of requests and his luggage and his body being in your way and taking up your precious time. In fact, it would be quite the opposite - you would be "more than happy" about the whole situation as soon as he handed you that not-demeaning-at-all bribe. See, that's what makes it all OK.;)

On our cruise in NOV 2015 we opened the heavy doors to access our cabin. We were immediately challenged by a crew member and had to show our Sail and Sign cards to prove we were Diamond and allowed back there. Some other people, who we did not know, came through the door behind us and they were told to come back at 1:30 when the rooms were ready. They started to challenge him and he just referred to the sign on the doors. They seem to think they got some perks for having red cards!

No, no, you're thinking about this all wrong - if you were his Room Steward, you wouldn't feel disrespected that he ignored the signs and intruded on you, or put-upon by his list of requests and his luggage and his body being in your way and taking up your precious time. In fact, it would be quite the opposite - you would be "more than happy" about the whole situation as soon as he handed you that not-demeaning-at-all bribe. See, that's what makes it all OK.;)

So those who say that the main reason that they buy FTTF can actually just give a $20.00 tip to the steward and save themselves $40.00? Not a bad idea - except that it is still breaking the rules.

I'm always a late arrival on the ship but this year we are getting on early.

If your carry on stuff includes soda and wine, do they let you leave it in your room even if isn't ready? Do you have carry it around until your room is ready?

Needs tips/info

We never stopped going directly to our room, as that used to be the process when we started cruising. Somehow they lost control of something, which I'll never know what, but I remember the first time I got one of those letters. I read it, and still proceeded to my room, dumped my stuff, and went up top.

I still don't think about it being a VIP member. Even then, I never showed my credentials. I still just proceeded to my room, dumped my stuff, and went up top.

We never stopped going directly to our room, as that used to be the process when we started cruising. Somehow they lost control of something, which I'll never know what, but I remember the first time I got one of those letters. I read it, and still proceeded to my room, dumped my stuff, and went up top.

I still don't think about it being a VIP member. Even then, I never showed my credentials. I still just proceeded to my room, dumped my stuff, and went up top.

you are very special also!

Multiply you by a couple hundred others and then clogging up the hallway takes on new meaning.;)

Another example of "the rules don't apply to me" selfishness. I'm sure "Stewart":rolleyes: was thrilled to drop everything he was doing to take care of your rule-breaking request.

Wholeheartedly agree! I bet the people that "see no problem" breaking the rules and dropping off early are usually the same ones that are either complaining about not seeing the room steward, threatening to drop tips OR mad that their room wasn't clean enough. All the little extra tasks and interruptions DO add up. This behavior wouldn't fly at a hotel I don't see why people can't grasp this on a cruise which is essential a floating hotel. :rolleyes:

Agree. And those of us that have been cruising long enough remember when the hallway doors have actually been LOCKED until the rooms were ready. And on some cruise lines this is still true.

No fire door is ever locked.

Not all doors that allow access to rooms are fire doors. And yes they were locked.

What doors lock? Never checked. Thought by law all passage ways could not have locks on them. :confused:

Maybe some of the confusion is on other lines they DO allow you to go to your room immediately on boarding, and some other lines do allow you to "drop and run" even if the room isn't ready. I see no harm in asking the question at least. Feel bad for OP getting the dog pile treatment for asking a harmless question.

I don't see the issue, just bring hand luggage with you. We always get on early. At that time there are not that many people on board, we just get a couple of sun loungers dump our carry on bags there get a couple of cocktails and begin our cruise 😊. Will take it in turns going to buffet. By the time you get on ship it's only 2 hours max before you can go to your cabin. Admittedly it would be more difficult with cases of drink. Would the drink fit in a small wheeled case? That would make it easier to get on board, or can you put the drink in a hold all or suitcase and check it in?

What doors lock? Never checked. Thought by law all passage ways could not have locks on them. :confused:

Maybe some of the confusion is on other lines they DO allow you to go to your room immediately on boarding, and some other lines do allow you to "drop and run" even if the room isn't ready. I see no harm in asking the question at least. Feel bad for OP getting the dog pile treatment for asking a harmless question.

Who was "dog-piling" the OP?:confused: I saw one snarky comment directed at the OP, but no piling-on by others.

I don't see the issue, just bring hand luggage with you. We always get on early. At that time there are not that many people on board, we just get a couple of sun loungers dump our carry on bags there get a couple of cocktails and begin our cruise 😊. Will take it in turns going to buffet. By the time you get on ship it's only 2 hours max before you can go to your cabin. Admittedly it would be more difficult with cases of drink. Would the drink fit in a small wheeled case? That would make it easier to get on board, or can you put the drink in a hold all or suitcase and check it in?

Beverages cannot be checked - they must be carried on.

Celebrity has glass doors that separate the elevator banks for noise and yes they were locked. I believe the true fire doors were off to the side and could be closed if needed. I think you could open the glass doors by pushing them in an emergency. All I know is we tried to see if our rooms were ready and weren't able to get through.

At any rate, both Celebrity and Carnival tell you your rooms are ready at a certain time and not once did they say it's OK to just drop a few things off.

Who was "dog-piling" the OP?:confused: I saw one snarky comment directed at the OP, but no piling-on by others.

You're not amongst them but there's a few nasty comments being throw around here. Throw people's bags in the water? Others bet they are the type to complain? I mean wow really people, OP just asked a question. The rudeness isn't warranted IMO. But some can not help themselves. It's part of where Carnival guests get stereotyped unfortunately.