Thoughts from Quest

Roxburgh

I just LOVE this topic, that of the Howdy Doody Neighbor Block Party!

Some months ago I offered to make big yeller name badges with red ribbons dangling down so Mel from Iowa could print his name and maybe something personal, such as "I LIKE CATS!".

The truth of the matter - and I am on a Seabourn ship now - is that the cruise director LERVES this activity, even to go so far as intrude with reminders into our cabin at 6:00 pm each segment of this cruise requesting your presence. Ya know, come as you are, now's the time, meet and greet etc. You get the picture.

I would not attend, have never attended and don't plan to reconsider. I can meet people where and when I choose to do so. And then there is that poor captain, grinning out of embarrassment, in tow to the CD. He must feel it's his duty or something is all I can assume as I squeeze past the dozen or so who, for all I know, are humming Camp Fire Girls tunes. Where do I head? To the Observation Bar for a proper drink and the sunset, of course, where the adults are, and where the captain wishes were, for sure.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

As you put down Mel from London, who "LERVES" this activity, please keep in mind that some could as easily make an ugly stereotype out of a snob from London. Hasn't the world had enough of this? Stay in your suite or go to the Observation Bar. Who cares. The real question is why you feel the need to denigrate others who might enjoy something you dislike.

Personally I am not offended by this. Out of about 5 cruises where they had this, only started a couple of years ago, we did it twice. Once we met someone who we wound up doing a lot of off ship adventures with and may never have met otherwise and remain friends with today. The last couple of cruises we either showered during or were at the Sky Bar for. You never know who might be in a suite near you that you might otherwise never meet. It is a little campy but unlike the muster drill you can choose to attend or not. So if not your thing skip it.

On the evening designated they have drinks and nibbles served in the hallway outside the suites on each level and encourage passengers to come out and meet their neighbors. Senior crew usually mingle there as well. While I don't truly dislike it is not my cup of tea. I'd rather meet fellow PAX on deck. And I do find the timing is poor -- as Jenidallas stated it is usually just when we are getting ready in the evening. Furthermore it is rather cramped in the hallways and if people do not step up and introduce themselves it can be a bit awkward.

On a smaller ship you meet people anyway. We did this on Regent and we just made our way to the bar and met several people immediately. They also said they were not interested in the block party and standing like children in a hallway at a school dance. You will run into your neighbors during the cruise anyway.

Just one Seabourn cruise to date, on Quest, and yes, there was a block party. The whole idea is carnivalesque to me so I skipped it. The next day I got cornered by my neighbors from both sides telling me off for not making an appearance. It's all very awkward and definitely not 5 star. I wish they dropped it.

We have been on a number of cruises with block parties, one of us, my wife, politely attends and seems to enjoy the event.

I retreat to the club before the start and enjoy a quiet glass of wine with fellow refugees.

Keller update.

So last night we went to the Thomas Keller dinner in the Colonnade. It was good but not great. It also took far too long.

The menu was Waldorf salad, Rib Eye steak, cheese with honey and chocolate silk pie served family style.

The salad was okay but not better than any I have had in the MDR. The beef was tasty and tender but I had a better rib eye steak in the Patio Grill a few nights ago. The cheese was good but give me a nice Stilton any time and I am not a big fan of chocolate deserts.

To date I have not found a Keller offering in the MDR which was more appealing than the Seabourn menu.

Fortunately, the 'standard' Seabiurn fare has been outstanding. And I am sure that once R2 becomes a Keller restaurant then things will be better. But, for me, the jury is still out.

Are the insects a problem on deck in the Amazon? If there is one within half a mile it will find me!

We didn't have any problems. That said, we used copious amounts of repellent and we're taking Malarone.

Keller update.

So last night we went to the Thomas Keller dinner in the Colonnade. It was good but not great. It also took far too long.

The menu was Waldorf salad, Rib Eye steak, cheese with honey and chocolate silk pie served family style.

The salad was okay but not better than any I have had in the MDR. The beef was tasty and tender but I had a better rib eye steak in the Patio Grill a few nights ago. The cheese was good but give me a nice Stilton any time and I am not a big fan of chocolate deserts.

To date I have not found a Keller offering in the MDR which was more appealing than the Seabourn menu.

Fortunately, the 'standard' Seabiurn fare has been outstanding. And I am sure that once R2 becomes a Keller restaurant then things will be better. But, for me, the jury is still out.

Thanks for getting this thread back on track - we board next week so I love reading in anticipation! See you soon at O!

Yes, Roxburgh thank you for your thoughts on the Keller roll out. I suspect things will still be in flux for our June cruise but hopefully with the R2 conversion this will be settled by our December Antarctica cruise. Overall have you found the service on board to be as personal and responsive as on your previous cruises?

The TK menus were beginning their rollout during the Fall T/A on the Odyssey last year. We found most of the offerings not as appealing as the standard Seabourn fare. The additional items did lend some needed variety given that we were on the ship for a month.

We board the Odyssey for the trip back to Europe 4/10.... I hope at the beta test stage is over, and the TK food is a positive addition!

Yes, Roxburgh thank you for your thoughts on the Keller roll out. I suspect things will still be in flux for our June cruise but hopefully with the R2 conversion this will be settled by our December Antarctica cruise. Overall have you found the service on board to be as personal and responsive as on your previous cruises?

Yes, service has been outstanding!

Roxburgh, just going back to your OP, the Seabourn Venture tour sounds very interesting, is this something new that SB are offering and how does it differ from other excursions on offer? Are there any caviar in the surf events on this itinerary, obviously not on The Amazon itself as you might have a new 'nippers' about :)

Roxburgh, just going back to your OP, the Seabourn Venture tour sounds very interesting, is this something new that SB are offering and how does it differ from other excursions on offer? Are there any caviar in the surf events on this itinerary, obviously not on The Amazon itself as you might have a new 'nippers' about :)

The Seabourn Venture tour is more of an expedition style excursion. Ours was in a zodiac with a botanist and two others who were very knowledgeable about birds and mammals. I think it is fairly new.

To my knowledge, no caviar in the surf is planned for this cruise.

Edited by Roxburgh

No Post

Hi

Thanks for your excellent posts.

I will join Odyssey in late April. It has been awhile since we were on Seabourn.

I am curious to know what is being served in R2 now.

The other question that I have is do you need to make reservations at any locations?

thnks:)

R2 tonight.

Seared Tuna Mojito

Cured Salmon

Lobster & Chorizo Croquetta

Clam Capucinno

Spiced Halibut

Tamarind Glazed Tenderloin Steak

White Chocolate Mascarpone Cheese Cake

Reservations required for R2 and for Keller nights in the Colonnade.