Booking and Cancelling

kqcallahan

I'm pretty sure I read right but sometimes you just want someone to agree :)

The plan right now is to do a cruise next Easter (April 15th). We are hoping to get our tickets on points but can't book till April. I would love to take advantage of the 2 perks promo going on but that ends end of March.

So thinking maybe I should book and if we can't get flights we cancel the cruise. IF we cancel do we lose anything? Like is there an amount they keep no matter what?

Thanks!!

Depends where and who you book with. In the UK you would lose the deposit no matter what. In the US some travel agents charge a cancellation fee, I think I read here on CC, typically $100 pp. If you book in the US, I would check with the TA. Ours does not charge a fee but I can't say who it is as it is against CC rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you question is do you lose the perks from the March promo? YES you do. Let's see what makes sense. You book in March and get the current promo perks. April comes and the new promo is a lower fare with no perks. Do you think you could keep the old perks and get the lower fare? Bottom line you get the deal in place at the time you book.

As long as Canada has the same rules as the US and you're not using a TA that does charge fees, you're fine. The TA I used for our cruise next winter actually encouraged me to book two dates and cancel one. I was also trying to use points for airfare. Juggling point redemption dates, decent flight times and cruises you want can be a daunting task!

As long as Canada has the same rules as the US and you're not using a TA that does charge fees, you're fine. The TA I used for our cruise next winter actually encouraged me to book two dates and cancel one. I was also trying to use points for airfare. Juggling point redemption dates, decent flight times and cruises you want can be a daunting task!

This is what I'm thinking. I think that is how it works in Canada. (That you can cancel no prob, no fees) but wasn't sure if there's a deposit we would lose?

Isn't if you book directly with the cruise line and then decide to cancel the cruise line gives you all your money back as long as it is before final payment.

Once you are pretty much sure you are taking the cruise then transfer to a travel agency to get more perks, OBC etc. I would think as long as you transfer before final payment it's fine.

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

I'm pretty sure I read right but sometimes you just want someone to agree :)

The plan right now is to do a cruise next Easter (April 15th). We are hoping to get our tickets on points but can't book till April. I would love to take advantage of the 2 perks promo going on but that ends end of March.

So thinking maybe I should book and if we can't get flights we cancel the cruise. IF we cancel do we lose anything? Like is there an amount they keep no matter what?

Thanks!!

Sounds like your question is about getting flights that will work for you. I personally have never had an issue getting flights that will work when I book them with points almost a year in advance. I might have to spend an extra day in the embarkation city, but I don't consider that a problem.:D

Sounds like your question is about getting flights that will work for you. I personally have never had an issue getting flights that will work when I book them with points almost a year in advance. I might have to spend an extra day in the embarkation city, but I don't consider that a problem.:D

Yeah well as of today there is nothing available for the flights that came out this morning for next year. Let's just say it's not as easy as it should be from here!

Flights only become available 330 days in advance, so if you are looking at a cruise in mid-April 2017 they won't be available until around the 3rd week of May this year.

Actually it's 355 days earlier. :) (different airline I guess)

Edited by kqcallahan