Norovirus on Ventura

Thorpeys

Although I am very sorry for those who get sick on their holiday, a lot of us on here have been on many cruises. I think I have been on 11. How many of us have been ill? Me? Never. YET!

Me 3 times in the last 4 cruises. One norovirus and 2 suspected enteritis. I suspect the last one might have been food poisoning as it started about 4 hours after breakfast. :(:(:(

I am now becoming obsessed about hand washing etc. The funny thing is it only happens to me on cruises :confused:

Has anyone heard anything as yet from those travelling on the current Ventura cruise. Have P&O managed to contain the virus?

Just back from the next cruise... we sailed from Southampton on 20/3 and returned yesterday 27/3

The ship was still on high sanitisation all week so ...

• hand gels were enforced throughout which I think is good (quite funny when you go between shops and have to use it everytime we laughed about this but some were complaining)
  • we werent allowed salt and pepper on the MDR tables (2 meals were ruined as too much was put on by the waiters)
  • as soon as you get up from the table in a bar someone comes over with a bucket and cleans the chairs and table with soapy water
  • Not allowed to touch the photo units (was told off for touching it by a very rude photographer)
  • Not allowed to enter the tea and coffee area in buffet which worked very well as it created an organised delivery of drinks (although they always put the tea bag and milk in the cup which is always a bug bear of mine)
  • Between acts in Havana on the last night we were told to leave the club as it needed to be sanitised (seemed a bit ott)

All of this didn't spoil the cruise at all, still saw people (older men) not washing their hands in the loos though.

Just back from the next cruise... we sailed from Southampton on 20/3 and returned yesterday 27/3

The ship was still on high sanitisation all week so ...

• hand gels were enforced throughout which I think is good (quite funny when you go between shops and have to use it everytime we laughed about this but some were complaining)
  • we werent allowed salt and pepper on the MDR tables (2 meals were ruined as too much was put on by the waiters)
  • as soon as you get up from the table in a bar someone comes over with a bucket and cleans the chairs and table with soapy water
  • Not allowed to touch the photo units (was told off for touching it by a very rude photographer)
  • Not allowed to enter the tea and coffee area in buffet which worked very well as it created an organised delivery of drinks (although they always put the tea bag and milk in the cup which is always a bug bear of mine)
  • Between acts in Havana on the last night we were told to leave the club as it needed to be sanitised (seemed a bit ott)

All of this didn't spoil the cruise at all, still saw people (older men) not washing their hands in the loos though.

Thanks for the update. Sounds as if it is still not contained if they are cleaning to that extent?

I am slightly concerned about all the chair washing as we were on another cruise line and got clothes ruined as they did not dilute the cleaning agent and clothes ended up bleached! Lot of very unhappy people with bleached, very expensive formal wear, as I say another cruise line so hopefully P &O more clued up.

Hope it is all under control but it doesn't sound good.

We too have just come back from Ventura N607. I think P & O did a good job in maintaining sanitisation on board. I was told that the norovirus had been brought back on the previous two week cruise. People with it were offered payment to stay in their cabins but needless to say they did not. If only everyone washed their hands after using the toilets, used paper towels to open the door afterwards and used the hand gel in the restaurants and at every possible opportunity I am sure there would not be a problem.

It never fails to surprise me that people with the virus still wander around the ship. I think that P&O are wrong to offer them money to stay in their cabin, I think that a "fine" for coming out of their cabin would be more effective as they would not want to pay for their inconsiderate behaviour.

I was also on this cruise and have been shocked by the poor food hygiene practices of P&O, I had severe food poisoning on board not norovirus.

Given the practices I witnessed onboard, I believe a lot of the people that were displaying gastro problems were also poisoned.

P&O are not going to tell customers they have food poisoning they will fob you off with norovirus, sure some passengers may have had a virus but after what I saw I know people were being given contaminated food.

I will give you one example of what I saw on board.

At the pool side grill I witnessed staff handling raw meat products then turning around and grabbing handfuls of fries and salad and thus cross contaminating finished product.

He then proceeded to handle plates and cutlery, I tried to warn the guy in front of me, he just glared at me and walked off.

I really hope that guy got sick.

I'm afraid it got worse in the buffet restaurant and public health England will be getting the full details in due course.

Oh and all of the basic food hygiene failings I saw was after they had implemented the intensive cleaning regime.

My message is simple

Do not book with P&O (my local roadside burger van has better food hygiene)

That's dreadful, it is questionable if it is the virus or food poisoning. I am sure food poisoning plays a part too.

I'm pretty sure the "raw" meat is actually partially cooked, there was quite a large debate about the poolside grill hygiene processes on the Princess boards a while back which was quite interesting.

It never fails to surprise me that people with the virus still wander around the ship. I think that P&O are wrong to offer them money to stay in their cabin, I think that a "fine" for coming out of their cabin would be more effective as they would not want to pay for their inconsiderate behaviour.

While I can empathise with your point of view to an extent and surely responsible people should not want to spread "bugs" and so should voluntarily stay away from others - some of the problem is that they may not know they have it, it takes 2 days or more to show symptoms so carriers could be walking around happily unaware before they are actually physically unwell.

Also, how may of us go to work with a bug because we have work to finish or pop out to the gp / chemist to get medication when ill?

Add to that instances of sea sickness, migraine, overindulgence in booze, certain allergies, menstral cramps etc etc etc all of which cause the same types of symptoms and you could end up locking down / fining half the ship!

P&O are probably dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There are laws about restricting individual liberty and while it is different outwith the UK on a ship, the press would still have a field day if they gave a fine to someone who is sick with a (documnted) migraine or silly enough to get sick with drink and can show their bar bill in evidence!

I was also on this cruise and have been shocked by the poor food hygiene practices of P&O, I had severe food poisoning on board not norovirus.

Given the practices I witnessed onboard, I believe a lot of the people that were displaying gastro problems were also poisoned.

P&O are not going to tell customers they have food poisoning they will fob you off with norovirus, sure some passengers may have had a virus but after what I saw I know people were being given contaminated food.

I will give you one example of what I saw on board.

At the pool side grill I witnessed staff handling raw meat products then turning around and grabbing handfuls of fries and salad and thus cross contaminating finished product.

He then proceeded to handle plates and cutlery, I tried to warn the guy in front of me, he just glared at me and walked off.

I really hope that guy got sick.

I'm afraid it got worse in the buffet restaurant and public health England will be getting the full details in due course.

Oh and all of the basic food hygiene failings I saw was after they had implemented the intensive cleaning regime.

My message is simple

Do not book with P&O (my local roadside burger van has better food hygiene)

Not just P&O!!

I have sufffered this problem on a Thomson ship. I was fine and then suddenly violently sick twice (in my cabin) After a night's sleep I was fine. It was not Noro, I have had that before and was ill for ages.

Two hundred people were taken ill on the same night, so I am pretty sure it was food poisoning, especially as I had had fish which was undercooked (yes I should have sent it back!)

When I complained to Thomson they said that we, the passengers, had brought the bug on board! They would not admit to food poisoning and why would they? That would have been their fault!

Incidentally, I witnessed some dodgy practices on "The Cruise"last week. The hotel manager cleaned up a spillage on the floor with a paper towel, but failed to wash his hands, then a waiter was seen putting rolls on a tray with bare hands.

So it's time some health and safety precautions were practised and passengers should not always be blamed.

While I can empathise with your point of view to an extent and surely responsible people should not want to spread "bugs" and so should voluntarily stay away from others - some of the problem is that they may not know they have it, it takes 2 days or more to show symptoms so carriers could be walking around happily unaware before they are actually physically unwell.

Also, how may of us go to work with a bug because we have work to finish or pop out to the gp / chemist to get medication when ill?

Add to that instances of sea sickness, migraine, overindulgence in booze, certain allergies, menstral cramps etc etc etc all of which cause the same types of symptoms and you could end up locking down / fining half the ship!

P&O are probably dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. There are laws about restricting individual liberty and while it is different outwith the UK on a ship, the press would still have a field day if they gave a fine to someone who is sick with a (documnted) migraine or silly enough to get sick with drink and can show their bar bill in evidence!

I understand that people are walking around not knowing that they are carrying the virus but P&O cannot be offering money to stay in the cabin if they do not know that the particular passenger has the virus so I am actually suggesting that once someone had the virus they should be confined to their cabin without any money incentive ( the "fine" comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, though I appreciate that it is probably inflammatory).

We are on the current Ventura cruise and can say with some confidence that there's not a problem at the moment with noro. The other day the captain thanked us for our understanding with extra precautions but now stepping down the 'threat level'. Library - couldn't take books out, washing seating a lot, salt in sachets etc. It's more seasickness that troubling many as it's been quite rocky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the current Ventura cruise and can say with some confidence that there's not a problem at the moment with noro. The other day the captain thanked us for our understanding with extra precautions but now stepping down the 'threat level'. Library - couldn't take books out, washing seating a lot, salt in sachets etc. It's more seasickness that troubling many as it's been quite rocky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am delighted to hear that. Have a lovely cruise

I wouldn't believe everything you read in the Daily mail - Sensationalist journalism at its best.

If you have read the reports for many of the other cruise ships - and lines- that have passed, you will still find similar issues.

Norovirus is no more prevalent on P &O than other lines....its just that because they are one of the UK's most used lines, you will read about it in UK papers - and particularly the Daily Mail.

And no, I am not defending P &O - they obviously need to address some issues, but they are no worse than any other line.

Seems like it's happening a lot on P&O and after what I read in the Daily Mail about Oceana and Oriana today they've got a cheek to blame the passengers all the time

Thing is, it is the passengers fault for 99% of the time.

I have never seen a broken sink and rarely have any of the sanitiser bottles been empty in my experience !!!

Check out our video at about 09:08 in (Britannia but still working to the same standards?!)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/me1QQ644YEg

Sinks to the main entrance were all broken - not one gives out soap and no sanitiser. Some with only a dribble of water. More shots from other points in the cruise where sinks were out of order for 2 weeks with empty bottles of sanitiser.

Edited by jetset763

The biggest culprits are those who insist on filling water bottles from the water dispensers. Don't they realise that infection is easily transmitted when they press the necks of their bottles against the filling mechanism?

The biggest culprits are those who insist on filling water bottles from the water dispensers. Don't they realise that infection is easily transmitted when they press the necks of their bottles against the filling mechanism?

I assume if you saw that happen you would bring it to the attention of a member of staff, so they could take the machine out of service until it was disinfected.

If everyone did, then P&O would soon take steps, otherwise they would have to have a dedicated member of staff for each machine.

I assume if you saw that happen you would bring it to the attention of a member of staff, so they could take the machine out of service until it was disinfected.

If everyone did, then P&O would soon take steps, otherwise they would have to have a dedicated member of staff for each machine.

You are right of course but I hate unpleasantness and I doubt whether members of staff would do anything as they could risk their jobs if a scene is caused. But the mind still boggles when I see people do it ........and it happened every day by several people on my last Ventura cruise. The problem is that when one does it others follow.