Carnival isn't keeping up

NIATPAC29

Filling a ship at a discount rate versus offering more perks and charging a higher premium.

Watching this play out currently at Royal Caribbean as well where people in suites have had complaints that the product does not match the offerings of NCL or MSC; whereas just a few years ago RC's offerings were arguably the top. Instead of RC saying 'well, we never promised what those cruise lines offer now' they are improving their suites game; and charging accordingly to respond to guest complaints about the offerings.

It is entirely up to Carnival if they offer more competitive perks at a higher price, or maintain lower prices and just sell real estate.

I wasn't referring to suites in particular. NCL is currently in the offering more perks and charging a higher premium game in a big way. I won't book with them because of it. I don't want CCL to be the same as everyone else because I like choices (just like I don't want the other cruise lines to be the same as each other).

If Carnival advertised suite perks then I would agree with you, but they don't so people who book suites have no right to complain about lack of perks when none were promised in the first place

I think that people ARE complaining about the lack of suite perks on Carnival...by not booking them. The upgrade fairy has become quite popular, calling people (me included) to upgrade them to a suite at a discounted price. Why? Because otherwise these suites are goof unsold.

The way that I look at it, people with a bit more disposable income are either choosing to spend that money at a more upscale cruise line, or if they want a suite experience, they are flocking to cruise lines that actually offer a suite experience, not just a bigger room.

Carnival decision to add suite perks seems to address the lack of interest for their suites.

Yeah but other lines have upgrade and upsell fairies. I was surprised reading the 6 page thread the other day about NCLs upgrade telephone number and how aggressively people call daily and haggle and beg (their words not mine) for ugrades to rooms. I was thinking why would anyone ever pay full price for a cabin other than an inside if NCL has this upgrade negotiation process in place complete with a dedicated phone number. A few posters pointed out that the Haven suites are rarely sold without a significant discount.

We sailed in a suite once as a free upgrade, but several family members have booked suites outright that I've sailed with. There should definitely be more to them than just the bigger size and priority boarding. And I don't get why Carnival is taking forever to get this. Just throw in a few extra tangible perks. People like that kind of stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Why exactly did you feel gypped for them? Did they feel gypped? Clearly you saw something in the product offering that was lacking; and this after recent upgrades to convert the Oasis Viking Crown Lounge to a suites only enclave with free drinks for most of the day and a bespoke suites only restaurant. And yes, access to a concierge. But many felt this not enough to RC is rolling out a more comprehensive program, but I am curious what you felt was lacking.

I did like the lounge, it was a nice touch. To be honest, it was not so much of what it was lacking per se, I thought it should have been nicer for the price. The room was nice and done well, but comparing that to what I knew they paid was disproportionate. They (my daughter and son in law) are Diamond Plus (another nice perk as his status applies for his family....at least I think that is what he said). They paid significantly more than I paid for the CS on the Sunshine for much smaller space.

We actually had a pretty good discussion one evening at dinner on the cruise discussing suites on both lines. To answer your question whether they felt gypped, I am sure they would not use that word, but that said they felt they needed the extra room(four of them) so had to pay the price of the suite to get the space.

I think that people ARE complaining about the lack of suite perks on Carnival...by not booking them. The upgrade fairy has become quite popular, calling people (me included) to upgrade them to a suite at a discounted price. Why? Because otherwise these suites are goof unsold.

The way that I look at it, people with a bit more disposable income are either choosing to spend that money at a more upscale cruise line, or if they want a suite experience, they are flocking to cruise lines that actually offer a suite experience, not just a bigger room.

Carnival decision to add suite perks seems to address the lack of interest for their suites.

Interesting comments. Not sure I agree, but I can't think of a better reason as to why they offering now. Whether right or wrong, they had maintained an "all cruisers count the same" mentality. I would have to see what they will be offering (of it has been published I would love to be referred to it) in order to see how much they are swaying away from that tact.

32 Carnival cruises and we have never received a call (we have initiated calls though). I have thoughts as to why that is....

Suite value (not sure how the heck you would know this) is just fine. As a passenger who does sail on a Carnival ship (first difference) and as one who sails in suites on their ships (another difference) I can tell you I never felt gypped. To give it some clarity for you, when we sailed Oasis we stayed in an adjoining join to my daughter and he family in a grand suite. For the price they paid, I sure felt gypped for them. Way way over priced for what you received. The only redeeming value I would like Carnival to adopt, is a concierge lounge, that is a nice touch.

We can discuss further or not.

We almost sailed in one of those Mickey suites. Seems every cruise we were offered one at a discounted rate to something, because there were no listed rates anywhere.

Ever sail in the Haven on and NCL ship? You'd be spoiled. I just don't like the class system feel .

I am not going to say too much here but have been reading along...

One thing reading here brought me to is I like the idea of different lines offering different special things on their suites and a huge pull to me about Carnival is the "we are all cruising the same tact". Sometimes I really like that.

I think offering just some free drinks in the suite room and a bowl of fruit could really do it...and maybe make the paid for room service items free for suites...just a few things.

One thing I really loved was the "same" special as everyone feeling on both my Carnival Cruises in a 1a and a regular inside. My Fantasy class 1a was fine for 4 to sit down in during an impromptu table cabin run we solos were doing.. 2 parties had the Cat 11 suites. When one gal who knew nothing about pricing found her 800 fee with roomie in that not too big suite was 800 each for 4 nites and my room for moi was 299 for 4 with a blank wall across from me and a straight shot out to the atrium lobby..she realized ..hey maybe I can go with my girls in a couple cabins like mine. So I like that on Carnival; suites offer more room but are not as much more in price as suites most other lines that are on fancier ships offering more. And that the same "affordable" simple ships offer nice and sometimes better getaways for a shaded chair, drink, and an endless view of the big blue. I like that all are not in separate "classes" on a Carnival type ship.

LOL..edited to add I said something similar to Je Sohaite there and more in just a different way..typing a longer time, during and after his/her post.....always long winded.

Edited by sjn911

We almost sailed in one of those Mickey suites. Seems every cruise we were offered one at a discounted rate to something, because there were no listed rates anywhere.

Ever sail in the Haven on and NCL ship? You'd be spoiled. I just don't like the class system feel .

For the kind of scratch you are paying to be in the Haven if you don't feel spoiled they are definitely doing something wrong. (And FWIW I have been reading many complaints lately from Haven guests, so it's not a given that extra money equates into better cruise.)

I have seen them (haven suites) and they are NICE. Very pricey. Agree I. The class system as well. We are in a roll agreeing today. I am getting nervous.

I am not going to say too much here but have been reading along...

One thing reading here brought me to is I like the idea of different lines offering different special things on their suites and a huge pull to me about Carnival is the "we are all cruising the same tact". Sometimes I really like that.

I think offering just some free drinks in the suite room and a bowl of fruit could really do it...and maybe make the paid for room service items free for suites...just a few things.

One thing I really loved was the "same" special as everyone feeling on both my Carnival Cruises in a 1a and a regular inside. My Fantasy class 1a was fine for 4 to sit down in during an impromptu table cabin run we solos were doing.. 2 parties had the Cat 11 suites. When one gal who knew nothing about pricing found her 800 fee with roomie in that not too big suite was 800 each for 4 nites and my room for moi was 299 for 4 with a blank wall across from me and a straight shot out to the atrium lobby..she realized ..hey maybe I can go with my girls in a couple cabins like mine. So I like that on Carnival; suites offer more room but are not as much more in price as suites most other lines that are on fancier ships offering more. And that the same "affordable" simple ships offer nice and sometimes better getaways for a shaded chair, drink, and an endless view of the big blue. I like that all are not in separate "classes" on a Carnival type ship.

LOL..edited to add I said something similar to Je Sohaite there and more in just a different way..typing a longer time, during and after his/her post.....always long winded.

Might be a little long winded (I am no one to talk about that) but always appreciated (your comments not mine).

Great thread . I personally like all the bells and whistles on newer bigger ships provided there is no great premium to be paid .

( I realize that is a Captain Obvious comment ;) ). I'll let others pay big premiums for having to have this or that . I'm more flexible . I will pay a premium for better itineraries , better service and better food . Carnival is good but so are its competitors .

Edited by richstowe

Might be a little long winded (I am no one to talk about that) but always appreciated (your comments not mine).

Thanks....it has been superb making friends here over the years..just so great...the travel dreams and everything else..glad not alone with "words"..lol.

:o:)

I agree, maybe throw in free internet. That would really not be an expensive perk.

I went to the mall the other day. It has a merry go round. I guess the mall is an amusement park? So RCCL has a merry go round, it it now officially an amusement park? Carnival was branded as a family cruise line, but yet other cruise lines are more inviting to families. I guess I don't understand what an amusement park is. Plus, the entertainment on RCCL received a negative comment.

Instead of saying why you don't want all the exciting and innovative things other cruise lines are adding to their ships, explain why those items are not needed for family entertainment?

Okay, I will...

More inviting to some families, yes, but clearly not to all. My family went on the Allure. All kids did the rock climbing wall...once. Went ice skating...once. We live in MN so ice skating isn't a novelty and our local Y has a rock climbing wall. Oldest child tried the Wave Rider, fell, said it hurt and her brothers had no interest in trying. However, they all spent hours in the water park area of the Breeze. Having slides, water gusher things etc was much more entertaining to them.

We all thought the shows in the Aqua theater were amazing! How could we not? However, we hated having to get tickets weeks ahead of time and we didn't get into the comedy shows at all which we were told weren't family friendly anyway. The highlight of a Carnival cruise for my family are the family friendly comedy shows. I also loved the main theater production on Allure that I was able to go to but my kids thought the playlist productions were great. (I didn't see them.)

My kids didn't like the feeling of not knowing if something was included or not. Having gone to a movie on Carnival, they figured the popcorn was included...nope. Neither is the cupcake place or Johnny Rockets etc.

Now, did we enjoy our Allure cruise? Of course! We were on a cruise, we were with family, we had a great time and made great memories. But when offerred the choice, my kids picked Carnival for their next cruise. My husband and I have another Royal cruise booked for Nov. it's been a long time since we have been on one of their regular sized ships so we wanted to try it out.

FTR, I have been on Royal three times, NCL three times, (maybe four?) Princess twice and Disney once. Carnival now I think five times total so I am not loyal to any one line. But different things appeal to different people. Your attitude that since you don't like Carnival, no one should or will is ludicrous.

Lmao you all crack me up!

Bigger, smaller, more, less, my way is better, well if thats why you cruise, .........really you are all arguing about a fun way to travel period! Thats why it is good, it can and does meet everyones needs. Nothing is the same as in '64 or '84 or '04. If you have lived long enough you have experienced change and the effect time has on it. Is anyone surprised things are different from 50 years ago.

Just get on a cruise for whatever your reasons to cruise and sip a cold one! Cheers

Okay, I will...

More inviting to some families, yes, but clearly not to all. My family went on the Allure. All kids did the rock climbing wall...once. Went ice skating...once. We live in MN so ice skating isn't a novelty and our local Y has a rock climbing wall. Oldest child tried the Wave Rider, fell, said it hurt and her brothers had no interest in trying. However, they all spent hours in the water park area of the Breeze. Having slides, water gusher things etc was much more entertaining to them.

We all thought the shows in the Aqua theater were amazing! How could we not? However, we hated having to get tickets weeks ahead of time and we didn't get into the comedy shows at all which we were told weren't family friendly anyway. The highlight of a Carnival cruise for my family are the family friendly comedy shows. I also loved the main theater production on Allure that I was able to go to but my kids thought the playlist productions were great. (I didn't see them.)

My kids didn't like the feeling of not knowing if something was included or not. Having gone to a movie on Carnival, they figured the popcorn was included...nope. Neither is the cupcake place or Johnny Rockets etc.

Now, did we enjoy our Allure cruise? Of course! We were on a cruise, we were with family, we had a great time and made great memories. But when offerred the choice, my kids picked Carnival for their next cruise. My husband and I have another Royal cruise booked for Nov. it's been a long time since we have been on one of their regular sized ships so we wanted to try it out.

FTR, I have been on Royal three times, NCL three times, (maybe four?) Princess twice and Disney once. Carnival now I think five times total so I am not loyal to any one line. But different things appeal to different people. Your attitude that since you don't like Carnival, no one should or will is ludicrous.

That's why I like cruising. Something for everyone. We all have preferences that can and does change which is ok. One can always find something wrong with each line but no cruise line is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk