Carnival isn't keeping up

NIATPAC29

Actually, I can get my family on a Carnival cruise for roughly 1/3 the cost of a cruise on the "mouse" line, so yeah.... it's totally possible.

Carnival fills a market need. The market needs lower-priced cruises that offer a lot for families. If that's not your thing, the market also has cruises that cater to higher price points and have a more upscale feel. Carnival doesn't emphasize being dressed up while you're on vacation, but if that's your cup of tea, there are other cruise lines who fit that bill. Carnival is not for everyone. If it doesn't appeal to you, there is another cruise line that will. Having 15 or 20 cruise lines all offering the exact same product makes absolutely no business sense at all. Seeing as how most Carnival ships sail at or near capacity, I'm guessing that people are liking the pig with lipstick. We do.

Yeah, anybody that thinks that is crazy:confused: Wait a minute, who could think something like that? Wait a minute, that would be me. :cool:
whether you like the Oasis or not and I know you don't and to be honest is to big for my taste

BUT Cmon there is no cruiseline in the world that has a ship that compares to the Oasis class

John Heald lies! He says its Brilliant. It is not. They are falling behind fast. We rode the Pig Sunshine and it was an overcrowded leaking tub. Lipstick is fading Heald!

People tend to stop listening to a broken record. Time to switch your method of attack. Be a little more creative next time.

People tend to stop listening to a broken record. Time to switch your method of attack. Be a little more creative next time.

Or take them for a complete and total joke with zero credibility who garners not even an inch of respect for anything they post.

That would be me.

I went to the mall the other day. It has a merry go round. I guess the mall is an amusement park? So RCCL has a merry go round, it it now officially an amusement park? Carnival was branded as a family cruise line, but yet other cruise lines are more inviting to families. I guess I don't understand what an amusement park is. Plus, the entertainment on RCCL received a negative comment.

Instead of saying why you don't want all the exciting and innovative things other cruise lines are adding to their ships, explain why those items are not needed for family entertainment?

For some families, those "amusement park rides" may be a necessity. Not for ours. I don't want to pay for stuff we're not going to us if I can avoid it.

And Carnival does have other "things" for families - waterslides, camp carnival, pool areas/water works areas, family friendly comedy, dive in movies. Those are things that will satisfy my family. We're not going to rock climb, or ice skate on a ship.

Or take them for a complete and total joke with zero credibility who garners not even an inch of respect for anything they post.

That would be me.

Or block them so you don't see their nonsense.

Now if only they weren't "quoted" I would never have to view it.

whether you like the Oasis or not and I know you don't and to be honest is to big for my taste

BUT Cmon there is no cruiseline in the world that has a ship that compares to the Oasis class

The ships (Oasis/Allure/Harmony are a technical marvel, I think I admitted such when I reviewed my sailing on her. They did a spectacular job in the free space and breaking things up into "neighborhoods". That said, after sailing on her, I can honestly say that I was happy to be returning to Carnival. It is not just the amusement park rides, its the whole "package". We felt way to much like it was a Disney vacation (in no way tied to my "rides" comment but so much more along the amount of required planning and scheduling of the trip. Add in the cost factor and I much prefer to sail on a Carnival ship.

I still think they are pricing themselves right out of cruising as we know it to be today, we will see, but at some time 10 billion is 10 billion, that's why a pina colada costs 14 bucks on Anthem.

I think that is a common theme on this whole thread

Or block them so you don't see their nonsense.

Now if only they weren't "quoted" I would never have to view it.

Oh yes. He's blocked. Along with one or two other people that only come on this page to spew nonsense and be hateful. I only know what he posted, because like you, I saw it quoted.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

So let's not forget that it is actually Carnival Corporation.....and they have 100 ships total across all of their brands. New ships coming from Carnival Corporation:

Carnival Vista - 2016

Majestic Princess - 2017

Costa will get two new ships

P&O is getting another new ship

Vista Sister comes out in 2018 for Carnival

Carnival will have a 180,000 ton ship (6600 passengers) in 2020

in 2019 Princess will get its fourth Royal Class ship

Seabourne has two ships coming out in 2016 and 2017

Holland America gets a new ship in 2020

These are all brands that are owned by Carnival Corporation....so basically at about $1 billion per ship on average, that comes out to about an $11 billion investment.

That is a lot of money

I see statements like the OP's all the time in various industries. They *want* the company to do something, they claim it's what the company *should* do. I tell them all the same thing: If you think you can do it better, start your own competing company and do it your way. Write a book about it when your done; I'd love to read it. Especially Chapter 11. :)

I'm wondering why Carnival keeps upgrading and refurbing these old ships. Many times things are undone. They have only Built one new ship since the breeze in 2012 and that's the Vista four years later. I think they would be wise to put those millions in profits into new ships. Their competitors sure are. They keep putting lipstick on a pig

As long as the vast majority of Carnival fans keep stating "we don't care" about most everything Carnival does to improve their bottom line there will be no new ships and only enough refurbishment to meet gov. regs.

You also have to remember that some of the embarkation ports don't have the capacity for these mega ships. If they got rid of the Fantasy class ships and replaced them with mega ships, it would also eliminate a lot of the three or four day cruises. The longer a ship is out to sea, the more money they make.

I don't think they need "mega mega" ships. Not even sure that's what OP was going for. But some of the Fantasy-class are getting really long in the tooth.

New Mid-sizers at Panamax size, or capable of crossing the new canal when ready, would be great.

Some of us prefer to not sail with 8000 of our closest friends.

YES! This is perfect! I've never cruised on a huge ship, and more than likely, I never will. There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving these bigger ships, but I want a smaller crowd when I cruise.

I don't think they need "mega mega" ships. Not even sure that's what OP was going for. But some of the Fantasy-class are getting really long in the tooth.

New Mid-sizers at Panamax size, or capable of crossing the new canal when ready, would be great.

Interesting, I wonder if the behemouth of the seas will be able to sail thru the new canal (when completed)

but so much more along the amount of required planning and scheduling of the trip.

I still think they are pricing themselves right out of cruising as we know it to be today, we will see, but at some time 10 billion is 10 billion, that's why a pina colada costs 14 bucks on Anthem.

I agree with all the planning When we did our Allure TA the planning precruise was a PITA.

The cost was heck of a lot cheaper than the upcoming Vista TA (actually any of our upcoming cruises)

Didn't know drinks were $14 on RCCL:eek: I usually do a DOD upon boarding than only drink in the evening when all my drinks are free for 3 hrs;)

I look forward to the Vista class especially how the Havana club will be received

This is new for CCL. There has never been an area onboard a CCL ship that was reserved for a certain clientele. Suite guest have never had that so now Carnival is segregating cruisers

Also wonder how much popcorn will be in the multiplex;)

I have no problem with CCL refurbing all the fantasy class as they usually go to smaller markets

I personally would like to see a larger version of Spirit class

I have no preference about ship size and since I do not own a cruiseline, have no problem with the owners deciding what to do with THEIR ships! I love every ship I have and will cruise on!

I agree with all the planning When we did our Allure TA the planning precruise was a PITA.

The cost was heck of a lot cheaper than the upcoming Vista TA (actually any of our upcoming cruises)

Didn't know drinks were $14 on RCCL:eek: I usually do a DOD upon boarding than only drink in the evening when all my drinks are free for 3 hrs;)

I look forward to the Vista class especially how the Havana club will be received

This is new for CCL. There has never been an area onboard a CCL ship that was reserved for a certain clientele. Suite guest have never had that so now Carnival is segregating cruisers

I have no problem with CCL refurbing all the fantasy class as they usually go to smaller markets

LOL, I am sure the popcorn will cost in the theater, but it will be in a tub and have BUTTER (at least what I had heard). TA's (or positional's) are always a great deal, def on our bucket list to do one. I am not sure that Carnival has gone full on with the segregation stuff. I am sure that is part of the reasoning to opening up that area at 5pm. My guess is that when the sister ship comes out, we may see a lot more Havana type rooms, they are selling like crazy.

I cannot argue one bit with you on the larger Spirit class of ships but I doubt we will be seeing those.....:( There was a time I thought that Carnival had strong plans to slowly move the Fantasy class out, but that has been put to rest. They still sell pretty well, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. RCCL seems to have taken a similar plan with bringing the empress back (although I may have sen it is delayed now....can't remember). As long as the Caribbean Market holds strong, Carnival will saturate the market with sailings from as many home ports as they conjure up. About 5 years ago I attended a meeting where they were formulating plans of moving a couple of ships to South America home ports (at the time I assumed it would be Fantasy class ships), but that became dust in the wind (great band and great song, but I digress) as well.

Edited by jimbo5544

Or even more Spirit class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interesting, I wonder if the behemouth of the seas will be able to sail thru the new canal (when completed)

Don't know which you mean by that but total height still an issue for some. Don't know what new Panamax sizing would be. But I stand by my opinion that new midsized ships would be great. I don't enjoy the super large mega ships as much.

Don't know which you mean by that but total height still an issue for some. Don't know what new Panamax sizing would be. But I stand by my opinion that new midsized ships would be great. I don't enjoy the super large mega ships as much.

I don't disagree (on the class size to prefer), and I had no idea height was a factor. I really was referring to whether the three biggies were within the new panamax size limits (fitting width wise in the (new) locks).

I have never cruised with more than I think 2800 passengers but I have loved all of my cruises and never minded the way they look. The crazy vegas style decor is fun and a good laugh at sometimes how cheesy it is but it doesn't bother us at all. I've read multiple reviews that they add more people but not more "vacation space" on the ships so lines are long and people are everywhere. I am always amazed at how empty the ship seems when we cruise! Maybe I don't know what I'm missing with the new, large ships?