tip in room?

JLN321

Just curious... aside from those items mentioned (i.e. ice extra towels, water, bed topper) what other items do you ask for? I'm all for extra tipping as we've pre-paid ours but just curious what others ask extra of :-)

Extra pillows.

Ice, towels, cleaning, etc...are what your pre-paid or daily gratuities are for. We've never needed more than was included....

That said, if we get all we expect, we leave about $20 extra. The "friendliness " of our attendant doesn't play into the decision at all. Our best cabin attendant was one we NEVER saw! I loved that! It was like magic...leave the cabin, come back, and everything was done! Never needed to ask for a thing!

Just curious... aside from those items mentioned (i.e. ice extra towels, water, bed topper) what other items do you ask for? I'm all for extra tipping as we've pre-paid ours but just curious what others ask extra of :-)

For us it is not just ice, but having the ice bucket kept 'full all the time' and wine glasses, since we bring wine on board to enjoy in our cabin along with extra large towels.

We also let the cabin steward know that we are early morning people and out early so they can arrange their schedule and we let them know we have early traditional seating for dinner.....they appreciate that knowledge since it makes it easier for them.

I'm in the "I pre-pay what you tell me to..." (because I like having as much of the cruise paid for as possible in advance) "...but IF someone goes over and above I will give extra." I am super low-maintenance and keep my cabin straightened up - heck, I even throw the covers back on the bed in the morning - don't ask for anything extra, don't need coddling.

That said, I am completely spoiled to Disney's service, and that sets the bar extremely high for others. So far, no one on HAL or RCCL has earned over and above.

$50-$100 on top of the auto-tips. Last cruise I left an extra $60. I only met the room attendant once and never saw him again, but he did a good job, our room was always cleaned on a regular time schedule and it was done well. The cruise before that we left $100 because we saw our attendant several times a day, he was in the hallway a lot and usually was there to open our door for us every time we came back to the room, and when my daughter got sea sick one day he came to check on her several times. $50 would be my minimum because I know that they are paid very little and their job is tireless, even if all they're doing is the minimum. I've never had a room attendant who was bad, but I've had attendants who I saw more than others, like the example above. I feel like $50-$100 is a small amount to add to my cruise costs and I factor it into my budget etc. Some people don't even tip the auto-tips, so it probably all evens out in the end. I prefer to be on the end of the spectrum that makes people's days a little less stressful and makes them feel appreciated, even if it costs me a little more money.

We've never asked for anything extra. But I tip extra anyway because I don't like to feel like Im benefitting from the slave labor wages they get paid. I couldn't enjoy my vacation knowing that I'm an accomplice to that :)

I should add that my sister - who works for a cruiseline (yes, Disney, but she is not in a tippable position though she is friends with many who are) and is usually our guide in such matters - also goes by the principle that extra is earned and not a given. So... I definitely follow her lead with that. If anyone knows the story it's someone on the inside.

We have $200 obc for our 7 night cruise. We are using that for gratuities. When do we tell them that's what to use it on?

No need to tell Guest Relations or anyone --- the OBC will be on the account and the daily gratuities will be charged to the account and the OBC will be used against your account.....just the way it works -- automatic.

We have $200 obc for our 7 night cruise. We are using that for gratuities. When do we tell them that's what to use it on?

You don't have to tell them anything. The OBC will automatically be used for any outstanding charges on your onboard account.

I'm in the "I pre-pay what you tell me to..." (because I like having as much of the cruise paid for as possible in advance) "...but IF someone goes over and above I will give extra." I am super low-maintenance and keep my cabin straightened up - heck, I even throw the covers back on the bed in the morning - don't ask for anything extra, don't need coddling.

That said, I am completely spoiled to Disney's service, and that sets the bar extremely high for others. So far, no one on HAL or RCCL has earned over and above.

Well, we definitely don't need coddling... just trying to see some of the "extras" that others ask for, but thanks!

We've never asked for anything extra. But I tip extra anyway because I don't like to feel like Im benefitting from the slave labor wages they get paid. I couldn't enjoy my vacation knowing that I'm an accomplice to that :)

I'm with you on that... I wouldn't like that feeling either :-)