Norwegian vs Holland America what are the main differences?

saxon6732

The service on NCL was excellent. The only downside to NCL was the food, which was awful in the main dining room (we waited 40 minutes to get our order taken, and my husband didn't have a fork with his entree . When he borrowed mine, he realized he didn't need one since his dinner was totally inedible). However, the specialty restaurants on NCL were mostly excellent (Moderno was our favorite) so I'd be happy to book with them again, but a dining package is a necessity for our family. On other lines (HAL, Princess, Cunard and surprisingly even Carnival) we were happy to eat the mdr food, so I'd just add the price of a specialty dining package or choose it as a perk when comparing cruises to book. Honestly, though there are plenty of people who are happy with the food in the MDR on NCL, and so it's probably better if they keep the base price low and let people who are a bit more concerned with food book specialty restaurants so everyone can afford to cruise, especially since dining can be one of your perks you choose. Although it does seem like NCL isn't always one of the cheaper lines, so I don't know. If you were happy on HAL, I think aside from the food you'll be happy on NCL. Oh, unless you like formal night. I don't care about formal night so was happy to see it gone on NCL.

I'll never forget our first cruise in 2011 on the Gem going from NYC to Bermuda. Same itinerary then as it is now. It just so happened our friends booked the Holland Veendam. It was actually a gift from their parents. We were all mid-late 40's at the time and the cruise was the same week. They were docking in Hamilton so one night we took the ferry over there and met them for dinner. Keep in mind this is the first cruise for all of us and none knew much about cruising. The spent the entire dinner complaining about the cruise and how everything on the ship shut down around 9pm. The just hated it and were actually tempted to bail, find a hotel and fly home. My wife and I in the mean time were having a great time in a suite on the Gem. I'll never forget walking past the ship about 8pm after dinner saying good bye and watching a very long line of older folks in wheelchairs being pushed up the ramp to the ship. Part of said good for them for getting out. The other part of me said thank god we are not on the cruise LOL

We went on Holland to Alaska in 2014.. I liked it but the entertainment was cheesy. Made up shows related to the port. Like a lumberjack show in Ketchikan. No free style dining. Had 2 seatings: the early and late for dinner. We met some really nice people tho that we keep in contact with. I like the smaller ships-2000 pax as opposed to 4000 pax.

NCL has Broadway shows. Some of the actors have been on Broadway. The entertainment is far superior on NCL. I am a theater person so this means a lot to me.

I think the food is better on HAL too.

It's been a while since I sailed HAL, but pretty much agree with everyone else. Entertainment on NCL is infinitely better than it was on HAL. Things got very sedate and quiet after about 9:30-10:00p.m. on HAL too.

HAL was more formal, vs Freestyle on NCL. You either like Freestyle (I do), or you don't. If you like fixed dining times, you won't like NCL.

There's nothing like Fat Cats jazz/blues club on HAL. As mentioned, their entertainment leans more towards trig quartets. Again, fine if you prefer that.

I guess the biggest difference on my HAL cruise, and I was with my entire family, there wasn't one thing memorable about the ship I can recall. It was a repositioning cruise to Vancouver, which I loved. But, aside from that, I don't recall one good meal, no particular entertainment comes to mind. It was very non-descript.

It's been a while since I sailed HAL, but pretty much agree with everyone else. Entertainment on NCL is infinitely better than it was on HAL. Things got very sedate and quiet after about 9:30-10:00p.m. on HAL too.

HAL was more formal, vs Freestyle on NCL. You either like Freestyle (I do), or you don't. If you like fixed dining times, you won't like NCL.

There's nothing like Fat Cats jazz/blues club on HAL. As mentioned, their entertainment leans more towards trig quartets. Again, fine if you prefer that.

I guess the biggest difference on my HAL cruise, and I was with my entire family, there wasn't one thing memorable about the ship I can recall. It was a repositioning cruise to Vancouver, which I loved. But, aside from that, I don't recall one good meal, no particular entertainment comes to mind. It was very non-descript.

On the Eurodam they have a B.B. Kings Blues Club

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Eurodam they have a B.B. Kings Blues Club

I didn't know that. I consider that a good thing. As I said, I haven't sailed them in a while.

But, as a point of reference, there's a whole thread over on the HAL forum with a lively discussion about the patterns on the bread plates. That sort of sums it up about some of the HAL interests.

Again, not bad. Just a different focus for their cruises.

• Haha 1

I didn't know that. I consider that a good thing. As I said, I haven't sailed them in a while.

But, as a point of reference, there's a whole thread over on the HAL forum with a lively discussion about the patterns on the bread plates. That sort of sums it up about some of the HAL interests.

Again, not bad. Just a different focus for their cruises.

OMG!!! I nearly spit my water out reading this[emoji23].

I totally agree. It was a very sedate ship. There were some people who were going to be on the boat for months... probably why the lights get shut off at 9pm. They have all the time in the world to walk all 900 feet!

Unfortunately on our 14 day cruise on the BA Fat Cats was anything but jazz and blues. They had a rock cover band who was terrible, then they got sick, then they got sun burnt LOL. We stop by 3-4 times, they either sounded horrible or had canceled the show

Unfortunately on our 14 day cruise on the BA Fat Cats was anything but jazz and blues. They had a rock cover band who was terrible, then they got sick, then they got sun burnt LOL. We stop by 3-4 times, they either sounded horrible or had canceled the show

Well....that was too bad. Never heard any hard rock groups there. Saw some of the performers from NCL's entertainment staff join the house bands there late at night though. That was always fun. Had to be there well after midnight to see that, though

I saw Slam Allan (

).

And, I've seen Charlie Love there, too (

)

Both were really good!

My wife & I have always cruised on Holland America. Next year the National Sweepstakes Convention we go to every year is going to be on a Norwegian cruise. For those of you who have cruised on both of these Lines, what are some of the main differences between the two? Thank you for any info you can share.

The first time I went on HAL Westerdam, was a B2B, one week each and I loved it.

The 2nd (and last time) was last November on Koningsdam for 2 weeks. I'm wondering if the longer the cruise the older the average age is. The average age was very high. (Too high for me personally)

That aside, it was the most boring cruise I have ever been on.

We had a problem with mixed drinks and the Beverage package (they have a 15 drink limit per day, but that included soft drinks, and a cocktail containing 2 different drinks was counted as 2 drinks.

So this is my 1st time with NCL and I'm really looking forward to it. I don't think for one minute I will be bored.

My wife & I have always cruised on Holland America. Next year the National Sweepstakes Convention we go to every year is going to be on a Norwegian cruise. For those of you who have cruised on both of these Lines, what are some of the main differences between the two? Thank you for any info you can share.

They are our 2 favorite lines and for different reasons

HAL ships are beautiful as you know, are much more formal and the service is usually unmatched. Even though we love the service on most NCL ships. HAL is subdued and a bit quiet with a much older crowd. HAL has larger cabins. MDR food may be a little better but we were not impressed with the specialty dining.

NCL has more dining choices, better entertainment and more variety in activities we enjoy. certainly a better night life, even though we have reached the age where night life isn't our thing. The NCL crew is more relaxed and friendlier.

As a friend put it when we traveled on HAL with them, after a few cruises on NCL: NCL just has more energy. I thought that was a good way to put it.

One of my friends whos in his mid 50's took a HAL cruise and hated it, said it was the most boring cruise he's ever been on and full of 70-80 year olds. He also said after 9pm the ship was a ghost town. Funny thing is that this guy is a complete bore himself. He's quite happy sitting down with a book doing nothing. So for him to say it was boring tells me all I need to know about HAL.

HAL may have an older crowd, but the service, entertainment and food are exponentially better than NCL. Just finished an NCL cruise for the first time, and after only cruising on HAL, I found NCL to be a dissapointment.

I’m no a foodie by any means. I get most my meals out of a vending machine at work, but the food on NCL was terrible. Not all of it, but most of the food was really aweful, and that was a consensus among the people we met. I never had one bad meal on an HAL cruise.

On HAL they will provide meal options that reflect the ports you are visiting, but not so much NCL. Plus the variety and quality of food on HAL is so much better. I know I go on about the food here, but the food is key to the cruise experience.

While the “freestyle” dining seems to be why people like NCL, you can get the same freestyle dining on HAL plus formal dining as well.

I thought the talent and entertainment were also much better on HAL. I remember when we visited Australia, HAL brought on board a diggereedoo musician and builder as part of the entertainment. They really prep you better on the cities you will be visiting.

I still realize that taking a cruise, not matter on HAL or NCL is a good experience, but dollar for dollar, HAL is much better choice from my experience.

HAL must be truly wonderful for you to join cruise critic and make one post on a thread started 2 years ago.

I've never sailed on HAL but as far as I can see the main difference is that their ships are a sort of Navy Blue and NCLs are mainly White with some nice hull artwork.

• 5 months later...

I'm glad someone made this current. 

I've only sailed with Carnival, Costa, Holland America and Princess so I'm glad someone is pointing out the differences. I'm considering the 19 night repo crusie from NYC to LAX. 

The biggest difference I see, so far, is the teenie, tiny cabins.