Power Strips Confiscated?

Does anyone know if RCCL has a problem with a fan? I have a small 5 in fan that I use at night. My meds cause me to be very hot.

No problem if it's battery operated. However, they may not like it if it has an electric cord.

Ok, so FWIW, I don't use the ones with surge protectors. What I use are basically glorified extension cords. On the Radiance class ships, there are no power outlets by the bed and I ALWAYS travel with a 15 foot extension cord. I have a standard 15' extension cord packed with my CPAP equipment.

I have in the past traveled with a power strip (sans surge protection) without it being confiscated, so this was news to me. I realize that the last time I cruised was in November 2013, and it was another cruise line, but it wasn't taken from me. FYI - I sailed on the Oasis in November 2010 without anything being confiscated.

Guess I'll make sure that it's put in our carry on and see what happens.

Pretty sure the ship will provide one for the CPAP if they confiscate yours for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The one I have, the cord disconnects from the base. The base has 2 or 3 plug outlets and 2 USB outlets. The cord is a 6 foot cord but unplugs from the base. Never a problem.

Same with our travel fan; the plug pack disconnect from the unit.

Never an issue with either one.

If you need extra outlets I recommend a short extension cord like this ...

$6 to $20 at Amazon ...

41Mg6CLjRBL.jpg

Or, if you need more outlets, this has three ($15 to $30 at Amazon) ...

518lcla0LyL.jpg

This has four ...

31cXIW6EA-L.jpg

And if you need an extension cord, try something like this ($15 at Amazon) ...

8738314211640p?$478$

or this ($30 at Amazon) ...

41NUiD3VzhL.jpg

Basically you want to stay away from anything that looks like it has a surge protector in it, like a power strip.

I just read on the package that it has a circuit breaker. Hopefully that's OK.

That particular product is fine, but be aware that like other manufacturers that I have researched, some Monster products are surge protected. Surge protection is more common on items that have USB ports (nearly ubiquitous), and unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to contact the manufacturer directly and ask.

That particular product is fine, but be aware that like other manufacturers that I have researched, some Monster products are surge protected. Surge protection is more common on items that have USB ports (nearly ubiquitous), and unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to contact the manufacturer directly and ask.

I found this on the Amazon page, someone asked this:

Question: Is this just a power strip or a surge protector?

Answer: Its a power strip and not a surge protector. But,traveling in Europe you discover electrical outlets are few and far between. This device allows multiple units to be charged from a single outlet, yet compact enough to throw in an overnight bag. Remember, its a power strip not an adapter or converter.

What about the power squid?

Accell D080B-007K-R PowerSquid Outlet Multiplier with 5 power outlets and 3 foot cord

or

Accell D080B-008K 3 foot Cord PowerSquid 1080 Joules Surge Protector with Power Conditioner and 5 Outlets

I'd think with the dirty currency mentioned in the article, ship power would be more likely to fry our devices, not less.

Edited by knittinggirl

We traveled on the Oasis March 2014 and ours was confiscated. It was a short cord surge protector.

It does seem that they are more likely to pay attention to the devices with cords.

Accell D080B-007K-R PowerSquid Outlet Multiplier with 5 power outlets and 3 foot cord

or

Accell D080B-008K 3 foot Cord PowerSquid 1080 Joules Surge Protector with Power Conditioner and 5 Outlets

I'd think with the dirty currency mentioned in the article, ship power would be more likely to fry our devices, not less.

I don't see any mention of surge protection, so this looks OK.

or

The first is fine, but the second one specifically states it is a surge protector.

I'm assuming you mean "dirty current"? And the voltage spikes that are associated with SCR drives (the power for the variable speed propulsion motors), these are spikes well below the "clamping" voltage where a surge protector would dump the excess voltage to ground. Further, because the consumer surge protector is designed for US residential use, it only expects there to be positive voltage between the hot and the ground, or the neutral and the ground, but in shipboard wiring, there can be voltages in the reverse direction (not harmful to electronics), that are harmful to the semi-conductors (MOV) in the surge protector, and reverse voltage is deadly to MOV's.

And remember, not a single surge protector is used by the ship to "protect" any of the computer systems onboard, from the POS sales registers, to the bridge navigation systems, to the engine room automation. Why? Because they are not necessary, and to get a properly protected surge protector would be very costly.

...And remember, not a single surge protector is used by the ship to "protect" any of the computer systems onboard, from the POS sales registers, to the bridge navigation systems, to the engine room automation. Why? Because they are not necessary, and to get a properly protected surge protector would be very costly.

This part I find interesting, as I am responsible for protecting computer infrastructure.

Are UPS systems attached to the equipment in the computer racks? If so, are these special "always-on" systems that are constantly using their inverters to create power to the equipment?

The first is fine, but the second one specifically states it is a surge protector.

I'm assuming you mean "dirty current"? And the voltage spikes that are associated with SCR drives (the power for the variable speed propulsion motors), these are spikes well below the "clamping" voltage where a surge protector would dump the excess voltage to ground. Further, because the consumer surge protector is designed for US residential use, it only expects there to be positive voltage between the hot and the ground, or the neutral and the ground, but in shipboard wiring, there can be voltages in the reverse direction (not harmful to electronics), that are harmful to the semi-conductors (MOV) in the surge protector, and reverse voltage is deadly to MOV's.

And remember, not a single surge protector is used by the ship to "protect" any of the computer systems onboard, from the POS sales registers, to the bridge navigation systems, to the engine room automation. Why? Because they are not necessary, and to get a properly protected surge protector would be very costly.

Looks like I need to find the squid. I have the surge suppression one, and that's breaking the rules. Horrors, I've been breaking rules w/ my Belkin for enough cruises to get me Diamond+ on Royal alone! We use the squid on land, and we like it because we can use it with large plugs. I'll have to look through the suggestions in this thread and pick the best one.

Would the crew confiscate the squid because they think it's a power suppressor?

Why does Royal Caribbean specifically mention no electrical extension cords, but not anything about surge suppressors. I take along my 1' cords, which stewards haven't seemed to have any problems with.

Crew does look at what we have charging. I had my camera battery charging, and for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess, the wait staff commented on it during the meal.

Edited by knittinggirl

Do we need a surge on land, and a power cord on ships? We stay in pre and post-cruise hotels.

Do we need a surge on land, and a power cord on ships? We stay in pre and post-cruise hotels.

That would depend on your anxiety level with the local power supply at your hotels. But, yes, surge protectors would protect against failed transformers, inrush spikes, and lightning strikes on shore.

This part I find interesting, as I am responsible for protecting computer infrastructure.

Are UPS systems attached to the equipment in the computer racks? If so, are these special "always-on" systems that are constantly using their inverters to create power to the equipment?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "always-on" systems, but I'll explain in my limited tech-speak, and maybe you can decipher if you need more info. :o

Critical systems use a large 24v battery bank power source as the 2nd backup (the first being the emergency generator). Think a north of ten thousand ampere hours, with a trickle charger on the bank. This power will be connected to the equipment through a switchover circuit, so that if the mains voltage is lost, the 24v power is supplied.

Now, for the main servers onboard, and even some of the Engine Control Room interface computers, there will be UPS's dedicated to each. These are, I believe, what you mean by "always on", as they are the primary source of power for these computers, and the inverter is always providing power to the computers and trickle charging the batteries. These will have redundancy in their input, being fed from both main power and emergency power. If either input power fails, the UPS switches to battery.

These UPS's are specially designed for marine application. We've tried to buy regular US business type UPS equipment, but it looks for 110v hot to ground, while shipboard only has 55v hot to ground, so it constantly considers the power supply to have failed, and switches to battery. Being a specialty market, they are about 3 times as expensive, of course.

Looks like I need to find the squid. I have the surge suppression one, and that's breaking the rules. Horrors, I've been breaking rules w/ my Belkin for enough cruises to get me Diamond+ on Royal alone! We use the squid on land, and we like it because we can use it with large plugs. I'll have to look through the suggestions in this thread and pick the best one.

Would the crew confiscate the squid because they think it's a power suppressor?

Why does Royal Caribbean specifically mention no electrical extension cords, but not anything about surge suppressors. I take along my 1' cords, which stewards haven't seemed to have any problems with.

Crew does look at what we have charging. I had my camera battery charging, and for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Princess, the wait staff commented on it during the meal.

I wouldn't worry about breaking the rules so much, but I worry about cruisers' safety when using a surge protector. Thermal runaway, and the potential for fire is very real.

Most of the cruise lines state that power strips are not allowed, just to simplify it for the security screening process, so the staff don't have to have a marine engineer's license or an electrical engineering degree to figure out if a device is a surge protector. Only Carnival specifically addresses surge protectors in their list of prohibited items. Many cruise lines have power strips and extension cords for use if you ask for one. They may take the squid, or they may not. It is a lot like the water/soda thing, it varies. But for your safety, I recommend leaving the surge protector at home.